PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Love against Duty

Layrinn
Oct 5, 2003, 03:12 AM
Ok, so I'm just a little bit in to digital illustration these days... >.>; I'll have to slow down a bit over the next few weeks... I have some exams coming up. x.X

I spent pretty much all day yesterday working on this pic and finished it up this afternoon. It's my first attempt at capturing a specific emotion... I'd say I did ok. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Everything in this pic is original work except for the imported yellowboze .gif and the Cave 1 backdrop. (fear my r33t screen-capture bg. ;p) The scene depicted could probably use a little explanation, so here goes:

The character is Nikita, a RAmarl played by a close friend of mine. It's a little known fact that her status as a Ranger in the Hunter's Guild is merely a smoke screen... in truth, she is an agent employed by a devious organization known as the Sickle & Hammer. (Black Paper's got nothin' on these guys. =/) Nikita is ruthlessly efficient, having never failed a mission. So when her superiors gave her an assassination assignment, they had no reason to doubt her success. But this time, the target was someone she had grown very close to. (I'll let you all guess who it was ;p)

Will Love or Duty win this conflict?
http://apocalypse-tribe.com/layrinn/Images/Nikita/Nikita_small.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Layrinn on 2003-10-05 01:15 ]</font>

Batou
Oct 5, 2003, 04:37 AM
hmmm... very interesting story.... but i would have gone with a shot of the upper torso, just the shoulders and face... to really show the conflict at hand... but i can see what you were going for after the explanation.... its good just needs to be more dramatic i think.... i think i drank too much tonight.. i cant seee straight... but i like this pic....

Layrinn
Oct 5, 2003, 05:20 AM
I agree with you there... a closer view of her face would have been better for showing her emotion. Shrinking the pic down to make it fit on the page caused a little of the detail in her face to be lost. I also think the detail on her costume draws the emphasis away from her face a little. But it did give me some practice with more complex clothing. Regardless, I worked through the pic so fast, I never really stopped to look back on it and make revisions to the pose or anything. Anyways, I think I need a little more practice with faces before I attempt an extreme close-up. ^.~

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. =) I hope it still looks as good to you when you're sober. ^.~

navci
Oct 5, 2003, 01:31 PM
I agree with Batou, and I see you do too so I won't repeat what was said.

Hm. I like your colouring style a lot. But in this case I find the shininess of her clothing a little distracting to the eye. That, and she looks like she is wearing silk (maybe she is, I won't complain).

Interesting back story! Every charcter should have a back story! =D

FluxGryphon
Oct 5, 2003, 06:30 PM
I could kinda see a little square or rectangular inlet in this piece with the requested close-up enclosed. With the way it is now, an inclusion of that would have a sort of zoom effect that doesn't just center immediately on the emotion, which given the backstory, seems to fit.

Nice attention to detail and subtle shading. I really appreciate the background too. *gryns*

Reaper_090
Oct 6, 2003, 10:54 AM
EWW! whats that running down her cheek!? I hope thats not man juiceŽ!!

Layrinn
Oct 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
Erm... no, it's tears... she's crying. >.>;;

Yeesh... it's not that hard to tell, is it? o.O

Reaper_090
Oct 7, 2003, 10:02 AM
dont get me wrong, its an extremely good pic! Just make the tear less white and more transparant..

M_BlackHawk
Oct 7, 2003, 04:09 PM
On 2003-10-05 01:12, Layrinn wrote:
Ok, so I'm just a little bit in to digital illustration these days... >.>; I'll have to slow down a bit over the next few weeks... I have some exams coming up. x.X

I spent pretty much all day yesterday working on this pic and finished it up this afternoon. It's my first attempt at capturing a specific emotion... I'd say I did ok. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Everything in this pic is original work except for the imported yellowboze .gif and the Cave 1 backdrop. (fear my r33t screen-capture bg. ;p) The scene depicted could probably use a little explanation, so here goes:

The character is Nikita, a RAmarl played by a close friend of mine. It's a little known fact that her status as a Ranger in the Hunter's Guild is merely a smoke screen... in truth, she is an agent employed by a devious organization known as the Sickle & Hammer. (Black Paper's got nothin' on these guys. =/) Nikita is ruthlessly efficient, having never failed a mission. So when her superiors gave her an assassination assignment, they had no reason to doubt her success. But this time, the target was someone she had grown very close to. (I'll let you all guess who it was ;p)

Will Love or Duty win this conflict?
http://apocalypse-tribe.com/layrinn/Images/Nikita/Nikita_small.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Layrinn on 2003-10-05 01:15 ]</font>

Layrinn, have you EVER considered writing a fanfic? From the looks of the backstory you posted with Nikita, I'm sure you'd be a darn good writer.

.oO(and that pic almost brought tears to MY eyes..granted I was listening to a song that was all minor chords, but that's against the point.)

later

M_BlackHawk

Layrinn
Oct 7, 2003, 08:48 PM
On 2003-10-07 14:09, M_BlackHawk wrote:
Layrinn, have you EVER considered writing a fanfic? From the looks of the backstory you posted with Nikita, I'm sure you'd be a darn good writer.

.oO(and that pic almost brought tears to MY eyes..granted I was listening to a song that was all minor chords, but that's against the point.)

later

M_BlackHawk

Thank you! *^.^*

Well, to be perfectly honest with you... that backstory is a mere snippet from a MUCH larger RP story that Mute (Nikita's player) and I wrote together over the summer. The story is incredibly deep, and I probably couldn't recall it all without his help. We kept saying how we should actually write it all down sometime, but never have gotten around to it. Although, I'd say maybe half of it is stored in my Trillian logs somewhere. ;p If we ever do get it written out, I'll be sure to share it here.

I'm glad the pic had such an impact on you... that means I accomplished my goal. =) Things are gonna be a little busy for me for a while, so I probably won't be able to work on illustrations as fanatically as I have been lately. But still expect to see more. =)

M_BlackHawk
Oct 8, 2003, 08:46 AM
On 2003-10-07 18:48, Layrinn wrote:

On 2003-10-07 14:09, M_BlackHawk wrote:

later

M_BlackHawk

Thank you! *^.^*

Well, to be perfectly honest with you... that backstory is a mere snippet from a MUCH larger RP story that Mute (Nikita's player) and I wrote together over the summer. The story is incredibly deep, and I probably couldn't recall it all without his help. We kept saying how we should actually write it all down sometime, but never have gotten around to it. Although, I'd say maybe half of it is stored in my Trillian logs somewhere. ;p If we ever do get it written out, I'll be sure to share it here.

I'm glad the pic had such an impact on you... that means I accomplished my goal. =) Things are gonna be a little busy for me for a while, so I probably won't be able to work on illustrations as fanatically as I have been lately. But still expect to see more. =)

I do enjoy a good fanart, as well as fanfics, Layrinn. I must say that your art has been great. (I'm running out of superlatives.) I look forward to seeing more of them. Oh, BTW: Would you mind giving me a PM. I just got home from a long night at work and am not long before hitting the sack. I've got something I'd like to discuss with you.

later

M_BlackHawk