PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: Idle Chat

Silverowl
Oct 6, 2003, 08:35 PM
Just a little story I wrote that pokes fun at PSO life. Decided I might as well put it up and see what people think. Its just fun and light hearted, but a disclaimer first:

Duping, unfortunately, is a fact of life in on-line play. I personally do not like it and would rather it didn't exist, but it does. Please don't in any way think this story supports that game destroing habit.

Enjoy!

Silverowl
Oct 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
Idle Chat

Taka stepped out of the teleporter. The armor covering is metal alloy body was slightly scorched and covered in filth, both dirt and blood. Behind him the teleporter flashed and a human force stepped out, his long robes substantially cleaner.
"Gesh," the force said, walking quickly to catch up with the android. "How many dragons can there be down there?"
Taka shrugged. "Seems like we've taken down a few, Themis," he answered. "They must breed faster than rabbits. They seem to have a fondness of heat swords too." He waved the rescued weapon in the air, small embers falling the ground in its wake. Themis smirked. "So," Taka said, putting the sword into a make shift holster on his back, "what was that staff you were using down there?"
"Its called a sting tip," the human answered holding up the spiked club.
"Where'd you find that?"
"Down in the lab. Their temple VR simulation. A love rappy dropped it."
Taka shook his head. "Those love rappies," he said. "I don't know what the lab did to those things to make everyone run to them."
"I know what you mean," the force agreed. "You hit one, it plays dead and everyone runs to guard the body, heedless of danger. Soon the grass assassins and demitians and chopping you all to pieces, and you start to play a game of Moon Atomizer."
"Moon Atomizer?" Taka asked chuckling.
"Yeah," Themis answered, "you know. Its were the one hunter standing uses a moon atomizer on one of the fallen, then he's knocked out. The newly risen hunter then uses a moon atomizer one of the others, then she's killed, and so on. The lucky hunter standing when the love rappy gets up wins the prize."
"L O L," Taka said chuckling, "I've seen that happen."
"L O L?" Themis asked? obviously confused by the strange series of letters. "That the heck does that mean?"
The android shrugged again. "I don't know, it's just something I've heard people say when they think something is funny." Themis shook his head.
The pair stepped into the shop area, the brightly lit red, green, and blue booths open and uncrowded as usual. "Hmm," Taka said. "Now how does that work anyhow? I mean getting items in the VR field."
"How does what work?" Themis responded handing a saber over to the tekker. "You go in, kill a monster, find and item... What's so hard about that?"
"No," Taka said. "That's not what I mean. I mean, its a virtual reality, isn't it? It's not real. So why can you use the weapons outside of the VR machine? The lab can't have that many weapons is stock."
"Really," Themis agreed, handing a handful of meseta to the tekker. "If they did have that many weapons in store, they'd be better equipped than the military." He shrugged and walked over to the item counter. "They're smart down there in the lab. Maybe that just synthesize them. I don't know."
"Well then they aren't real are they?"
"So?" Themis asked, handing over several handfuls of meseta to the girl on the other side of the counter.
"Then should we even use them? It wouldn't be fair if the lab can just make whatever weapon or armor you want. They're not even the really thing, they're fake."
"It hurts the enemy just the same."
"Its the principle of the thing," Taka explained, pushing a couple coins over the items counter. "If it isn't real, you shouldn't use it."
"Ha!" Themis responded. "Is that so? Well, what about your voice? It's not real. It's just synthesized from a speaker somewhere in you." He waved a hand at the android.
"That's quite different," Taka argued as they left the shop area.
He was about to say more when a loud laugh interrupted them. A small Humar came charging out of the hunter's guild yelling "I dupe! I dupe!" He ran into the plaza, circling around by the check room, before disappearing back into the hunter's guild.
"What was that about?" Taka asked in a synthetically confused voice.
Themis shrugged. "Just some lunatic," he said. "They show up occasionally. No real pattern to it. Sometimes they cause trouble, sometimes they drop items, and sometimes they just go down to Ragol and start killing everything."
"What was he dropping?" Taka asked walking toward one of the small vials.
"I'd guess he was tossing Olga DND," Themis answered.
"WHAT?" Taka's shouted. "I thought there was only a couple people who had managed to get that!"
"Gesh, where have you been? Everyone has it now and days."
"How is that possible?"
"I guess they found some way to clone it."
"Is that safe? I mean it is Ogla FLo's DND. Id hate to see what would happen if it fell into the wrong hands."
"Ehh," Themis said with a shrug. He reached down and picked up one of the vials. "So," he said, holding the vial out to the android, "you want one."
Taka turned and looked at the human. "Well?" Themis asked, gesturing with the vial. After a moment he spoke again. "You know you really have to tell me what you think because I find it very difficult to read an expression on a face that is made out of sheet metal. Like right now, I'm guessing you're angry, because you look angry. Of course you always look angry, it's kind of how they made your head."
"Did you just miss the conversation we just had?" Taka asked. Themis gave him a quizzical expression. "You know," Taka continued, "the part about fake weapons and such."
"What about it?" Themis asked.
"If they're clones," Taka explained, "then they're not really real, are they?"
"Blah," Themis said. "You're too picky." He tossed the vial of DNA over the balcony.
"What?!" Taka yelled lunging to catch the vial. "What are you doing?" he asked, holding the vial carefully.
"What?" Themis returned. "It's not real, now is it?"
"Gesh," Taka said. "You know its attitudes like yours that going to split the hunters up one of these days."
Themis laughed. "Oh yea," he said sarcastically. "I can see it now, the hunter's guild starts fight against itself."
"Hey," the android said, "eventually everything will be settled on Ragol and we'll have all these hunters with nothing else to do but fight one another." He shrugged. "What else are they going to do?"
The human shook his head. "I don't know. They could play cards or something."
"I'm rolling my eyes," Taka muttered.
"What?" Themis asked.
The android responded, "You said I had to tell you of my facial expressions, so I'm telling you. I'm rolling my eyes."
"Ok,Ok", the force said, rolling his own eyes. "Why?"
"You suggesting card playing. I can just see these great fighters, sharp-shooters, and force wielder just sitting around playing a nice game of hearts or something."
"Hey, I never said a 'nice' game. It could be competitive. Like Hearts or something. I'd hardly call that game 'nice'."
"Point is they're playing cards!"
"Hey it's just as likely as the hunter's guild splitting up!"
"Blah," Taka responded with a flick of his hand. "Let's get this thing returned and get our reward," he added pointing to the sword on his back.
Themis nodded and the pair headed to the hunter's guild. The doors slid open and the force disappeared inside. Taka paused and looked back at the vials scattered throughout the plaza. He turned his gaze down to the vial in his hand and, after a moment, with a shake of his head, entered the hunter's guild, tossing the vial over the balcony to the streets below.

MQuantum
Oct 6, 2003, 08:46 PM
Heh,heh... Dupers always make great story subjects...

I'm looking forward to more on this... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

mr_rubbish
Oct 7, 2003, 03:04 AM
Damn dupers messing with the fabric of reality!

Sunblast
Oct 7, 2003, 05:10 AM
Hehe, dupers are insane, yes. But I especiallyu liked the stuff about androids in general. That's how they made your head. LOL!

Sagasu
Oct 7, 2003, 06:38 AM
Lol, Ithink its either lots of laughs or laughing out loud, not sure which. But that was damn funny, keep going.

Sunblast
Oct 7, 2003, 05:26 PM
To my understanding, it's Lots O Lovin'. LOL! Naw, I think it's Laugh Out Loud or Laughing Out Loud. Or at least that's how I was raised.

Logical2u
Oct 7, 2003, 06:29 PM
Whee! Messing with my mind is a great way to get funny replies.

And it had a MORAL! NO stories nowadays have morals!

Oh wait. Never mind.

White_Knight
Oct 9, 2003, 09:06 PM
well that was preaty funny and the whole lol thing I think it can go either way as far as laugh out loud or lots of laughs