PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X

Sisqua
Apr 3, 2001, 10:01 AM
I'll probably get moaned at because it's not PSO, but since a lot of PSO players are also probably rpg fans I think this is worth posting.

Daily Radar has just released a load of movies on their site from the demo version of Final Fantasy X at the Tokyo Game Show (most of them are actual gameplay, not cutscenes). I downloaded all of them. After watching the first one my hands were shaking. After sitting through all of them I could hardly speak for a couple of minutes. Ok, they're only rolling movies of the game so it's difficult to tell exactly how good it will be, but from what I've seen, the word 'stunning' doesn't even come close.

Since I couldn't find an equivalent page on the US site, here is the link to dailyradar.co.uk:

http://www.dailyradar.co.uk/news/game_news_1963.html

S.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Sisqua on 2001-04-03 08:05 ]</font>

MaximumBeef
Apr 3, 2001, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, Square have forgotten to add anything new to the FF games since FFVII. After the "Damn random battles are tedious"-ness of FFIX, things are getting a little stretched, in my opinion.

Oh yes, Square seem to have run out of ideas quite badly...for example compare the following two pictures:

Hello Squall! (http://www.dailyradar.com/screens/game_preview_all_screen_10571.html)

and...

No! Hello Squall! (http://www.thegia.com/psx/ff8/art1/squall02.gif)

I can hear the cogs ticking.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: MaximumBeef on 2001-04-03 08:24 ]</font>

Sisqua
Apr 3, 2001, 10:41 AM
I agree to a point. FFVIII and FFIX have both been a disappointment after FFVII was such a great PSX game (you only have to see the number of characters called Sephiroth on PSO to see how people still hold it in such regard).

I think we all have our fingers crossed that FFX is going to be something of a quantum leap forward though.

S.

MaximumBeef
Apr 3, 2001, 10:50 AM
I agree completely! Hopefully the ycan resurrect it

If not they deserve a kick in the nuts.

Does look nice though.

Kamotz
Apr 3, 2001, 02:22 PM
*cough* off-topic forum? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

I've been one to complain about some of the new ideas in the FF series. For example, I really disliked the Draw system in FF8 but eventually figured it out and I really enjoyed it. Same thing from the change from Magicite in FF6(3) to the Materia system. I also couldn't stand the way the new characters were draw for FF9 (I still think that Amano is a bad artist, but that's me), but grew to like them. However, overall 9 was a disappointment to me.
So basicaly I try not to judge anymore. I'm sure they'll come though with a good game.
The reason they look the same is because Tetsuya Nomura designed the characters this round. He did FF8's characters, and yes they look very recycled. Tidus = Squall+Zell, Yuna = Rinoa + Selphie.

zanza
Apr 3, 2001, 10:13 PM
WOW. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH SQUARES FF8 & 9.
I HATED THE DRAW SYSTEM AND 9 WAS JUST TOO CUTE FOR ME.
I REALLY LIKED THE EDGEY-NESS OF 7 AND 8'S
CHARACTERS AND STORY.
THE TRUTH IS, I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED THAT I NEVER BEAT 8 & 9...
THEY FAILED TO KEEP ME INVOLVED IN THE STORY THE WAY 7 DID.
ALL IN ALL I SAY FF7 WAS THE GREATEST
"FINAL FANTASY"GAME EVER.

Tolwyn
Apr 3, 2001, 10:24 PM
FFX looks poor, very, very poor. Take a look at Shenmue2... Hell, even shenmue I is twice as good graphics wise. PS2 is pretty lame, they can't even tap into it's power because it's too hard to program for. I'll take good old dreamcast over it any day...

Mitsurugi
Apr 3, 2001, 11:13 PM
Obviously not finshing the games gives you no right to judge the game having finished it. You haven't seen/heard the real story line have you then? You can't tell me you can have a movie without an ending?
I am a die hard fan of FF series, right back from no. 1.
Each game has changed, in it's own right.
And why would you change the random battle thing? It'd be a straight line to the end if it wasn't. You might aswell throw leveling out if you did that.
If you didn't notice that they all have 'Final Fantasy' at the start of the game title, you'd realize that they are a series, and wouldn't be entirely different.
And finally, this is not a console war, do not judge the graphic ability of a machine with only 2 games.
I love both Sega and Playstation, and soon to come XBox. You seriously can't tell me, now that it has been annoucned that the Xbox will play DC games, that you'd still choose the DC? Give a console time to settle in. Even if it is hard to program for the PS2, there are still some mighty fine looking games on it. Metal Gear 2 being on of them.
I know this is a huge rant, but yeah, games are games, people are people.. all of them are different.

Off that FFX looks extremely good. CANNOT wait! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Cyanide
Apr 3, 2001, 11:23 PM
Hey now Final Fantasy 1 was the best. Nothing beats that rpg save maybe shining force 1 and 2. Final Fantasy for the nes was a great rpg and then after 1 the story sudenly disappeared I hope they make one just like Final Fantasy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Kamotz
Apr 4, 2001, 01:36 AM
I've finished all of them except FF9. You know why? PSO came along http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif. I haven't touched my PSX since PSO came out. Still on the third disc...

Castelak
Apr 4, 2001, 01:41 AM
hmm a mod needs to move this to the off-topic forum.. wait they're all dead!

VampireLR
Apr 4, 2001, 01:58 AM
I actually played and finished all the Final Fantasy. I admit the battle sequence is a bit reduntant but I play it because of the storyline and the CGI graphics and after seeing what PS2 can do. I think FFX CGI would be mindblowing.

Ukyou
Apr 4, 2001, 02:47 AM
"I thought I was the only one disappointed by FFIII & FFIX"
Really? I hated FF7-9's guts as well as most of the people I know, save a few gaming newbies.

Why? Sure...there's decent games in all respect, but THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FINAL FANTASY!!!

Now FF6, that was the best one to date.

Lysan
Apr 4, 2001, 03:34 AM
I agree with you Ukyou, FF6 was the best FF I"ve played and I played them all. If they made a remake of FF6 on todays consoles, it would have the one thing that it lacked when it was made on the SNES and that's 3D graphics.

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 4, 2001, 04:34 AM
Yup, FF6 was a great RPG, n' made me love RPGs to begin with. It's good to hear that there are ppl who do believe that lately square's been rehashing character look-alikes over and over (my friend refuses to believe me) and FF 9 was great...but the over-sized head n' rather annoying characters didn't catch me. What ever happened to characters that didn't look so real? I've seen enough brown-haired ppl irl...gimme Terra's green or ninja shadow (yes, ninjas are over-done but Shadow had personality to back it up)...only rehash I didn't mind was Vivi and only cause the mages in previous games didn't have as much personality as Vivi and that mages haven't been seen since FF 5. On another rant note aside from FF the game....do the trailers for the FF movie all seem like some sci-fi flick that doesn't fit into the FF fantasy/magic/maybe futuristic persona? And I still say enough with ppl who look normal and have brown/black/blonde hair. Only bring back the colorful montage (only person I didn't mind was Aeris/Aerith)...and I better dam well see Chocobos or mogs in that movie....(oki oki..enough before some Al Rappy comes out and pecks me to death with this Square talk)

TylerFrost
Apr 4, 2001, 05:57 AM
I'm going to dissagree with most of you here.... I have completed I-VIII of the final fantasy series and still playing IX. I'm spending more time on PSO, true, but that's only because online gameplay offers interactivity...

I like all Rpg's... I don't look at one and compare it to the previous one, you should take each one as it comes and enjoy it for what it is... I mean, lets face it, PSO has little valid storyline and to be honest I enjoy taking a break for a couple of hours to play FFIX, rather than just the hack'n'slash routine....

Games take up 1/4 my spare time

--TF--

AdamW
Apr 4, 2001, 06:16 AM
This has quickly turned into a Best RGP Ever kind of topic. Or no it hasn't but I'll make it one.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. FF VII
3. PS IV
4. FF 6 (3 in US)
5. PSO (only online, offline it just sucks big goat nads)

MaximumBeef
Apr 4, 2001, 06:28 AM
Haha! Sow the seeds of rebellion my comrades! Down with the establishment! They'll never stop us now!

(I retract any previous statements)

Anywayz...

FF6 is still the best RPG I've played, followed by FF7...

PSO is a lot like Deus Ex, in that it only *just* falls into the RPG section of the big game bin.

You're safe and sound until you hit the ground, you know it's a long way down.

Millenia/53/HUnewearl

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: MaximumBeef on 2001-04-04 05:38 ]</font>

Sisqua
Apr 4, 2001, 07:10 AM
The reason I stuck this topic in here is because if other people are anything like me, they rarely venture into the 'off-topic' section and since this was a news worthy item, I put it in 'General' so the majority of people who might be interested would see it. Now that it's been hanging around for 24 hours there's no problem in moving it.

To whoever the guy was that said the graphics for FFX suck - you either haven't watched the movies I posted a link to, or you're blind. To be honest they are the first example of graphics on the PS2 that have actually made me go "Wow! Maybe you can do good stuff on Sony's console after all".

S.

TylerFrost
Apr 4, 2001, 08:23 AM
I worked for SCEE for 2 1/2 years and watched PS2 develop. You have to realise, like Playstation 1, game development for PS2 will not be great for at least 2-3 years... Look at the first games out for PSX.. Rayman, Toshinden, Tekken.... The milestone wasn't reached until Tekken2, MGS, etc... The 3rd stage of graphical developement wasn't until FFXIII, which in my opinion is the best graphics the playstation has seen and pushes it to it's limits! You will not see better than MGS and FFXIII.

You will see PS2's graphics undoubtably quadruple in the coming years... or I'll eat my own crap with ketchup! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

My dream - To have, side by side, my GameCube, DC, PS2 and X-BOX all on my 48" Plasma screen TV.... NICE! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

--TF--

AdamW
Apr 4, 2001, 08:38 AM
Not that I like defending PS2 but, the graphics in Onimusha are pretty damn sweet. Leave it to the legendary folks over at Capcom to exploit a systems power. (Still think RECV has some of the most impressive graphics on DC.)

purhaze
Apr 4, 2001, 08:52 AM
im just hit the 4th disc of ff 9, and i think the story didnt really pick up till the end of the 2nd disc, but still it has a good story worth playing to see unfold, i think most ppl hold 7 above the rest, mainly because it was one of the first great rpg's to come out on the psx, and it was a great game, 8.. was ok, i played it twice, not nearly as muck as i replayed 7, and 9 i dont think ill play again for a good while, its a good game, just repetitive.

AxemPunanny
Apr 4, 2001, 04:48 PM
Ok I give Square props for their franchise. As big a franchise as it is, it's been rather lackluster to its previous standards. All its been is graphics, movie-like, graphics, cool-"looking" character/background & graphics. To sum it all up, it's been mainly about the looks. IMO. Actually, IMO, this syndrome has happened even with PSX/PS2 games. Looks... Looks... Looks... I mean there is nothing wrong with looks. I know they contribute to the game. Espcially if the cinematics/directoring is topnotch, which Square is good at, but if that's what most of the concentration is about then it's just disappointing. Good example of this, and a recent one... The Bouncer. Gorgeous looking and the cinematics definitely real good, but what else? Hmm... not much else in my opinion. Ack... I say. Too much of that going on, not just with Square, but alot of games, especially in PSX/PS2 games. I'm not saying it's only those games, but most games of these games are from there. But what do you expect. You got the most popular system, most popular brandname, most support, etc... you can put out anything and it would sell well. Example of this... NFL Gameday 2001 (PS2) selling more than Jet Grind Radio. WTF?!?! I've seen Gameday 2001 EB's best selling list more than JGR. Actually, I don't remember JGR being in EB's best selling list. I'm sure some of you know how horrific Gameday 2001 (PS2) is. I know this JGR being undersold is due to Sega's lack of marketing also, but again this is an example of where the support lies. Brand-name, looks, what's the "cool" thing, etc. We all know it's true. Even if we'd like to deny it, it's true. I don't wanna believe it. But that's reality. And it's not just in videogames.

Enough of my ranting. Just wanted to get that off my chest. My opinions, whether you're agreeing/disagreeing/or indifferent.

Thanks for listening.

AxemPunanny
Apr 4, 2001, 05:09 PM
Sisqua, nothing wrong talking about other rpgs. FFX does looks sweet, but if that's all that Square does, then fawk it.

I'm glad Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia came out before PSO, or else I probably wouldn't play those 2 unless I stopped playing PSO for a while. Thanks to those 2 I ended up skipping Lunar 2, which I still got untouched. One of these days I'll play it, Lunar is a great rpg.

Just another rant... as good as Square is in programming... and their franchise (FF).. I think we're pretty much clouded by Final Fantasy's aura. It's a great franchise, but when I think about it, it seems like the only franchise Square got. I know there's others, but they are just plainly overshadowed. Enix's DragonQuest is probably a better game, but I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. I love GameArts and their games, specially their RPGs, Lunar/Grandia/Magic Knight Rayearth. And no these are not developed by Working Designs. They are the main Publisher, but I don't give them much credit for the games. What other company has great rpgs or a great rpg? Capcom has Breath of Fire, but that doesn't hold its own against the juggernauts. There's Nintendo with Zelda and Mario RPG. How bout Sega and their RPG franchises... Phantasy Star Series, the Shining Series (Shining Force, Shining of the Holy Ark, etc), Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Sakura Wars (or is it Taisen). I don't know a whole lot about PC developers and their RPGs, like Baldur's Gate, and Verant's EverQuest, but they deserve mention as well.

Zero101
Apr 5, 2001, 07:58 AM
While Final Fantasy 7 was the best of the current generation of Square's RPGS, anybody who doesn't immediately acknowledge that Final Fantasy 6 is the greatest RPG of all time is a bloody fool.
Other than Cloud, Final Fantasy VII lacked a great deal of character development, the final boss was incredibly easy, and the ending was piss poor. I enjoyed the game, but it definitely had it's shortcomings.
On the other hand, Final Fantasy 6 boasted a HUGE cast of characters, all of which were well-developed and characterized, had an incredibly intricate and interesting storyline, and a gorgeoushalf hour long ending (on a frickin' SNES cartridge!!).
The Final Fantasy series will always hold a soft spot in my heart, but unfortunately, the series as a whole has not really improved (or even maintained) since FFVII. Hopefully PSO will continue to re-incarnate and keep me interested enough to not notice the void.

Tolwyn
Apr 7, 2001, 04:24 PM
To whoever the guy was that said the graphics for FFX suck - you either haven't watched the movies I posted a link to, or you're blind. To be honest they are the first example of graphics on the PS2 that have actually made me go "Wow! Maybe you can do good stuff on Sony's console after all".

The graphics blow lmao. I was the one who said they do. Look at Gamecube or Xbox and you'll see games looking 10x better. Even Dreamcast has games that look awesome. Shenmue owns FFX graphics ANY day.

www.rpgetc.com and ask REAL rpg gamers - they know what I'm talking about.

Dragon-Ibuki
Apr 7, 2001, 05:24 PM
FF7 touched the hearts of those who became attached with Aerith and watches her get unneedlessly gutted (believe me, I've heard the sob stories from a lot of my pal gamers n' thensome), although I was rather hooked because Vincent was an awesome guy, Cid was a guy I wish was my uncle, Sephiroth had that insanity that made sense, Cloud was incredibly dense (if yu made'm go out with Barret) n' laughingly odd (when he won the girlie picking contest when trying to rescue Aeris/Aerith) n' because looking at Bahamut, Neo Bahamut and so on made me wish they were so darned real....there's probably a whole lotta darned reasons for liking FF7 but for me, the story n' the characters' personalities shone through...I still thought Squall probably watched Cloud n' got his cold attitude from him n' multiplied it waay too much. Anyhoo...Sega woulda kicked so much bu tt if the really good stuff came out that the Saturn didn't get a chance to here in America n' sequels to some of the awesome stuff that did come out { Nights, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon/Saga, Shining Foce, Guardian Heroes, Princess Maker, Sakura Taisen, n' the list goes on and on...} It's 3-d graphics may not compare to PS2 n' thensome, but who's not to say that 2-d is obsolete. Castlevania (which looked oddly wrong in 3-d) would still be kick ass (if done right) in 2-d. Oki oki...rant mode off....back to PSO ^^; (And yes, because of PSO...FFIX has been unmercifully thrown in the corner and my PSX is gathering not only dust, but mold here and there....)

zanza
Apr 8, 2001, 07:01 AM
OH MAN....I JUST SAW FFX'S MAIN CHARACTER: TIDUS......WHAT THE HELL!?
HE LOOKS LIKE FARMER JOHN'S KID OR SOMETHING! (No offense to any farmers,
I'm just not into the whole look...it doesn't look too action oriented.)
HIS SIDE SHOT EVEN LOOKS LIKE SQUALL!-BLEH!

OH AND PS2??? I LIKE THE "FEEL" OF THE SYSTEM. EVERY SYSTEM HAS IT'S OWN "FEEL".
IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER IF A SYSTEM
IS PRODUCING EYE-CANDY, I JUST WANT A GOOD STORY/GAMEPLAY TO ALL THE HYPE.

(A good game can always win people over!)
EX:I'm a diehard playstation fan....
yet this is the first time I haven't been playing it. Why? SEGA has something going here!
Phantasy Star Online is the bomb!
I have ALL the latest games for PS2, but I just can't seem to let PSO go yet!