PDA

View Full Version : FanArt: Calus sketch

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 07:16 PM
It's still somewhat of a sketch, but my picture of Calus is slowly getting closer to being finished:

http://www.geocities.com/iankunx/cal2.txt

His hand still bothers me, and I'm not sure about his robes... Hair's probably a little eh, too. But for the most part, it's done. Next step, of course, is to trace it to clean paper and ink it. After I work out the things that bug me. Maybe. I never manage to quite work out all the things that bug me... At least his hat isn't as bad as it was before. O_x And even if it's kind of badly done, having his clothes and hair blowing in the wind looks better than him just kind of... Standing there. Well, he's still just kind of standing there, but there's some motion now! Yeah! x.x

So. Comments? What bugs -you-, so I can hopefully fix it before I ink it? ...And then let it sit for a year or three because I don't have photoshop on this computer and my disk with it won't work, and I can't do what I need to do with the lines to even -flatcolour- it in PSP, unless I can get some kind soul who actually has PS to volunteer once I get it inked. It's stupidly easy, it... Just can't be done in PSP. Rawr.

I hate shading both blonde hair and white clothing. Hehehehe. That'll be fun. Oh, the parts on his skirt where it looks like it was badly and quickly drawn in... Well, it was. Didn't scan right, so I grabbed my tablet and sketched in the missing lines real quick.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 4, 2003, 07:19 PM
There's something wrong with his eyes... Looks like one's significantly larger than the other...

In anycase... I may volunteer to paint it for you in Photoshop... Been a while since I've had a good line drawing to color in.

AUTO_
Nov 4, 2003, 07:29 PM
That's really good Ian, and it's a helluva lot better then I could do.

The eyes do look a little different, but then again, it is a slanted angle. (I never was one for art tips)

Good work Ian!
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 07:50 PM
Yeah, his eyes do seem to be a little off... The one is smaller because it's farther away, but it's probably a little -too- small. Another thing I've had commented is that they don't seem to be looking at the same thing. Which... Would bug me more if I wasn't used to seeing pictures of myself as a child doing the exact same thing. Several things are wrong with my eyes. XD

Hmm. Never had anyone colour one of my pictures before. I usually end up just doing it myself... But I refuse to CG anything, even to flood fill basic flat colours, without the lines isolated onto their own seperate transparent layer so I can colour -under- them and then colour the lines themselves once I finish. But that involves stuff with the channels window, and... Can't be done in PSP. I could try cel shading, I suppose, but blergh.

I'll see what I can do with the eyes, though I'll probably erase a hole in the paper before they're right. O_o;

Zaneatron
Nov 4, 2003, 07:59 PM
http://www.uberlosers.co.uk/quake3.JPG
Quake 3, anyone?

just kidding, its a dam good drawing, excellent work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kadou
Nov 4, 2003, 08:14 PM
His face seems a little flat, but on the whole I have to say it's a lot better than I could do.

MQuantum
Nov 4, 2003, 08:48 PM
Yes, even though the eyes scare me, it is a good drawing! It will probably look fine when colored.

Belqvar
Nov 4, 2003, 09:18 PM
its really good! i suck at giving art tips, so i just wont give any http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif cant wait to see the color version!

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 09:28 PM
On 2003-11-04 18:18, Belqvar wrote:
its really good! i suck at giving art tips, so i just wont give any :) cant wait to see the color version!

I'm afraid you'll have to wait. XD *sweatdrop*

Heh. It does look like the Q3 logo, doesn't it? Blame ST for that one. >P

Hmm... I did some quick editing in PSP on the eye, whatcha think?

http://www.geocities.com/iankunx/caldetail.txt

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Hmm. Vaguely off topic. Am I the only one here who pronounces 'Calus' with a Latin-type u sound?(Long u) I think I probably am. *blank stare*

MQuantum
Nov 4, 2003, 09:38 PM
I think it looks better. The eye is more our way, and larger, so it fits better...

would that be "Cal- yuoos" or something?

It think it would be "Cal-US" With the emphasis on the second syllable...

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 09:55 PM
'Cal' as in 'California', 'us' as in 'moose' without the the m, except a little shorter. Even emphasis on both syllables.

I dunno. It just looks vaguely latin, and the katakana spelling -is- KARUSU, which is something like 'kah-roo-soo'. Although most people would probably pronounce Calus with the 'Cal' as in 'California' and the 'us' as in 'Us'

So you think the eye looks better now... Good. Now if I can just fix the hand and the other thing or six bugging me.

Jaks
Nov 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
To me it looked like Calus was giving the Evil Eye to
somebody... probably Mome.

ladyjaderiver
Nov 4, 2003, 10:49 PM
It's probably just me, but it looks like his head is a bit small in relation to the rest of his body. Otherwise, it's quite nice. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif FOmars are so much fun to draw!

Woo, I've overdosed on art today... *dies* I hate figure drawing. Hmmm... I wonder how PSO art would look in sanguine conte crayons?

Ja ne!

Sunblast
Nov 5, 2003, 05:50 AM
I think it looks pretty good. I didn't even notice the eye until someone mentioned it. But somethign I was wondering is, "Why does Calus look like that?" I'm guessing that's how Elly sees him or something to that effect?
By the way, I, Personally, pronounce Calus as Cal-us. Kinda like Calculus. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 5, 2003, 11:56 AM
The eye does look better that way. Perhaps still not *quite* right, but much better, in any case.

On 2003-11-04 19:49, ladyjaderiver wrote:
Hmmm... I wonder how PSO art would look in sanguine conte crayons?

If you draw it, you have to show us. It's the law.

navci
Nov 5, 2003, 02:27 PM
I like the flowing hair. =}
Love to see the finished version!

Nai_Calus
Nov 5, 2003, 08:28 PM
I've often wondered myself why Calus looks like that. It's rather counterintuitive - Why the hell would a computer manifest itself as a -Force-? And a rather feminine one at that. My theories fall along the lines of:

That's what Dr. Osto Hyle looked like.
That's what Dr. Calus, assuming there was one, looked like.
It's completely arbitrary - Either he was programmed by someone to use that particular random appearance should the need to actually use a visual reference arise, or Cal just came up with it himself for the sake of appearing as something.

I'd say the least likely scenario is it being what Calus himself decided to look like, although who knows? It's not like a computer is going to have any sense of masculinity. XP

Which doesn't explain why the two of them look different, but meh(Of course, since we are dealing with the -game-, and not 'real life as it is in the world of PSO', they cold look exactly identical in 'real life', and they only look different for the sake of keeping track of who's who in the quest). I doubt it's what Elly sees him as, though, since from reading the script for SotH, it seems she doesn't recognise him when she sees him.

And I'm still annoyed at ST. I have a FOmar that looks almost exactly like Calus does. Mine came first. *sulk* Although, I can't fault their taste... XD

*curls into a little ball and twitches at the mention of conte crayons* Will... to live... disappearing... *twitchtwitch* AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhh hh!!!
Die~. @_@ *weeps*
...Er. Yes. >_>; And indeed, you must share if you do it.

Yeah, flow-y hair is good. <3

...It's too long, I've realised. If it were hanging normally instead of being blown, the longest part would reach to about mid-thigh on him. Even at the minimum height, that hairstyle isn't -that- long. ^^;;; Um... Artistic license. Yeah. =D

I cannot seem to fix his hand. And his sleeve is odd, now that I think about it - It's not shaped right for the design of the costume. And the hair in front looks a little odd, probably because of the unlikely way it's hanging straight for a few inches to avoid having his hair covering his face.

That stupid thrice-damned hat must die. Drawing it was such a pain, and I'm still not sure it looks right. Rawr.

MQuantum
Nov 5, 2003, 08:33 PM
Don't worry about it, fix what you can.

I think you're Perfectionist... I'm one too... A procrastinating perfectionist... I never get ANYTHING done! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone ever thought of doing a PSO drawing piccasso style? Hmmmm... The possiblities!

navci
Nov 5, 2003, 09:59 PM

Isnt there one?
I remember playing knowing one's heart, some NPC will tell you how there is a Dr. Calus created Calus....

MQuantum
Nov 5, 2003, 10:06 PM
Yes, Calus has the personality of the late Dr. Calus, who died young, as I remember... Maybe this is a shadow of a memory of him, or possibly what Dr. Calus wanted to be remembered as...

Spartan117
Nov 5, 2003, 10:48 PM
its awesome. Just fix the eyes

Nai_Calus
Nov 5, 2003, 11:03 PM
On 2003-11-05 18:59, navi wrote:

Isnt there one?
I remember playing knowing one's heart, some NPC will tell you how there is a Dr. Calus created Calus....

"An engineer on Pioneer 1 was working on an "independant computer."
His name was Dr. Calus. I heard that he passed away when he was young."

Which is all good and nice, except:

http://www.geocities.com/iankunx/knkhun.txt

More or less the same thing, but no mention is made of his name... (I apologize for the hideous red text, but it's likely to be visible in most if not all the colour schemes for this site. Also, radical lookup is the best thing ever invented.) So, who knows.

Then again, Calus refers to the Control Tower as the place his father passed away... Which is an odd thing to say if Osto was his father, since the people on P1 disappeared rather than 'passing away'. But then, he also refers to Mother as something his father created in the non-Sue subplot version, and in the Sue subplot version, Delta says that she was created by Osto, as apparently were Calus, Vol Opt and Olga(And why what's apparently a biologist is coding AIs, I don't know. Bitch at ST). So... Is Calus Osto's creation, or the creation of this dead engineer? Maybe he was based off work done by said engineer and named after him, and possibly patterned after him appearance-wise? Then again, Osto doesn't seem to have been the sentimental type, considering what happened to Olga. So. Who knows. You can drive a semi through the plotholes in PSO. ^^; (That, and I refuse to take anything the -English- version says as canon... >P)

...When did we get from a discussion of my drawing to a discussion of who Cal's daddy is? I can go off topic faster than a FKL thread.

Er. Anyways, assuming I don't get really lazy like I always do, I hope to have the picture finalized and inked by... Sometime before the end of November. >_>; Being both a perfectionist -and- a procrastinator really sucks. ^^;;;

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 6, 2003, 12:39 AM
On 2003-11-05 20:03, Ian-KunX wrote:
(That, and I refuse to take anything the -English- version says as canon... >P)

Dude... Both languages are ON THE SAME DISC!... Furthermore, both languages exist concurrently in the same game world... Regardless of whether one language includes a tag more information than the other, there can be no plot variance between the two-- they're both concurrently directed at the SAME audience.

A2K
Nov 6, 2003, 05:23 AM
Very nice... although... I can't quite put my finger on it, but... he seems a little off balance? Oh! The bottom of his robes--shouldn't his left leg (HIS left) be pushing through them a bit?

Sunblast
Nov 6, 2003, 05:55 AM
...When did we get from a discussion of my drawing to a discussion of who Cal's daddy is? I can go off topic faster than a FKL thread.

I think it's my fault. It's because of that time I was shooting at Calus (couldn't hit him, but it was worth it!) and yelling, "Who's your daddy? WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!" I probably shouldn't have done that...
By the way, this picture of Calus. I'm getting the feeling it's an online quest only?

Nai_Calus
Nov 6, 2003, 09:38 AM
On 2003-11-06 02:55, Sunblast wrote:

I think it's my fault. It's because of that time I was shooting at Calus (couldn't hit him, but it was worth it!) and yelling, "Who's your daddy? WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!" I probably shouldn't have done that...
By the way, this picture of Calus. I'm getting the feeling it's an online quest only?

*slowly backs away* Er, right!
Yeah, it's from an online-only quest(Which is why -me- drawing it is odd, since I'm still stuck offline...)

Er... *thinks* No, his leg shouldn't be showing, because he's really a FOmarl, and anyone who's used one for more than half a second knows that FOmarls don't have legs. Yeah. (Yes, it should, you're right. Bleerrrrg)

Oh, I'm not saying the English version is necessarily dead wrong about everything, just that it's not always the world's most faithfully accurate translation. Besides, if the English version is the one that says more on a particular topic, it tends to annoy me and strike me as spurious. (Granted, the name of perhaps -the- most obscure NPC in all of PSO is a really nitpicky, anal thing, but I myself am anal and nitpicky, so... ^^;;;) At least it's not like the dub of Sailor Moon. *snerk* *insert joke about Calus and Elly being cousins here*

Damn you people, I need to be doing housework. *returns to drawing*

Nai_Calus
Nov 6, 2003, 11:37 AM
And in happy fun news, an attempt to slave the hard drive from my old computer to the new one was successful. This, along with all the mp3s I no longer have to find replacements for, means that I have Photoshop again.

Pwnage.

This of course means that you can expect a coloured version sometime before hell freezes over. Probably fairly quickly, as this now gives me -reason- to finish the picture, since I can actually CG it. P w n z 0 r z o/`

ladyjaderiver
Nov 6, 2003, 10:55 PM
Yay! It's going to be coloured!! *dances*

Hehe...

Um...

Yes. I'm a little hyper. I got to doodle all day! No conte PSO art yet, though. I will share it if I do some.

Sunblast
Nov 7, 2003, 05:49 AM
Dangit, it's online! Now I'll never get to shoot Calus...