PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: Meh... I suck at this. >_

Nai_Calus
Nov 9, 2003, 03:30 AM
Blargh. I suck at writing fiction. But I felt like writing something for a change, so you get my crappy attempts. I said I suck, didn't I? Now I can prove it to you. XP These are boring and probably insanely uninteresting, since there's not really much of a plot to them. Just a short scene with a flashback, and an internal monolouge. The first one involves my HUmar Ian-Kun X and his Mag, Fluffy, with a flashback that has my FOmar Helios in it, and the second one is just Fluffy talking about his feelings. You can skip that one if you want, it's puke-worthy. So's the first one. Blargh. If you're that bored, Ian-Kun X and Helios have profiles written up in the character bank. They're on like... Page 3 or 4. I'm not sure, they're on page two for me because I have it set to show 30 posts to a page. I haven't done one for Fluffy yet. I guess I should someday, for the hell of it... Meh:

--------------------------------------------------

Ian-Kun X ~ Hoshi

It was night on Gal Da Val island, and for once the seaside wasn't swarming with the native animals and mutated monstrosities that were its only permanent residents now. A gentle breeze was blowing, and the moon was nowhere in sight. A young hunter stood on the beach, the water up to his ankles. He was dressed as a HUmar, with a dark grey uniform with red and white accents, dark brown hair pulled up into a high ponytail, and green eyes. The medium-length pointed ears that gracefully swept up the sides of his head betrayed his half-Newman heritage. He was tall and thin, yet strong. A Rati with purple wingtips floated behind him. He took a deep breath of the night air, and immediately wished he hadn't.
"Damned allergies... Couldn't I have just left them behind on Coral or something? Blargh." He sighed and looked around him.
"Sure is a shame things have gone to hell... It's pretty here. And you can see the stars... You never could back home..." He sat down on the sand, not caring if he got wet. He'd dry.
"Nice night, isn't it, Fluffy?" He asked, turning his head to the side to look at his Mag. Fluffy bobbed up and down slightly in assent. The Hunter smiled a bit. "I guess we should probably get back to work eventually... But I don't want to just yet." He looked up at the stars sadly. Fluffy bobbed a bit and brushed against him.
"Yeah, I know... I should try to be more cheerful, I guess." He sighed yet again. "It's just... The stars like this... It's like that night back home, when dad-" He broke off and buried his face in his knees.

---

"Nai. Hey. Brat. Yeah, you. Come on, get your ass out of bed already! Geez... You'd think a kid would have more energy than this." Nai opened an eye and glared at his uncle, a somewhat short young man with long blonde hair and green eyes, wearing the robes of a FOmar, who didn't seem to care in the least that it was the middle of the night.
"It's 3 AM. Go away." He said grumpily, brushing a lock of unruly blonde hair out of his face. His uncle snorted.
"Just because -you- keep normal, sane hours doesn't mean the rest of us do. Besides, we need to get to the roof. The power's out, and I don't know how long it'll be out for. Hopefully a while... Now come on, if you're too damn lazy to walk, I'll carry you." He grabbed some of the boy's clothes from where they lay in a pile on a floor, helped him into them, and then picked him up and tossed him over his shoulder. "Damn it, kid, when did you get so big?"
"I'm eight now." Nai said, squirming to get more comfortable.
"...Damn, I guess you are. Heh. And I'm eighteen. Time flies, eh, kid? Four years already... Anyway." He grabbed a flashlight and stepped outside.
"Hey, Doc, gonna go throw the kid away while it's dark and nobody can see you?" Asked a fat, surly HUnewearl in yellow.
"Yeah, Mildred, that's it exactly. And don't call me 'Doc', either, it's annoying." The HUnewearl laughed, an unpleasant thing akin to a car horn outside your window at 3am.
"Alright, Effy, Helios, whatever the hell you wanna be called, I don't care." She said, lighting a cigarette.
"...Call me 'Doc' before you call me 'Effy'. It's Ephram. Gods." He shuddered and quickly walked away, looking for the stairs.
"Why are we going to the roof? Why is the power out?" Nai asked, starting to wake up now. This was kind of interesting.
"Because hopefully there's something we'll be able to see... As for the power... Well, I guess that's just how things are these days, Nai... This planet is dying." Ephram said, shrugging.
"Think they'll find a new place for us?" Nai asked, squirming off his uncle's shoulder and walking beside him.
"I don't know, Nai. Maybe..."
"Didja lose much of your work?" Nai asked.
"Eh? Oh, no, just a few lines of code. I'll re-write it later. Wasn't anything earth-shattering anyways. Not yet. Someday..."
"The kids at school made fun of me again yesterday." Nai said, looking down.
"Your ears again?" Ephram asked, frowning.
"Yeah... And you, too." He stopped and turned to the boy.
"Me...? Why the heck would they tease you because of me?" He asked, blinking in confusion.
"They said you're weird because you spend all your time working on computers... They said you weren't human... I hate them. They're always mean and they don't know what they're talking about..." Nai said, crying.
"Hmm... Well, I don't know about not being human, but I think they've probably got the 'weird' part right. I -am- weird, I'll be the first person to admit -that-. Heh. Maybe I shouldn't have been born human. It would have made a lot of things easier." He snorted. "Of course, then you'd still be with your father... Blargh. Let's not talk about this. We're almost there..." He glared at the stairs in front of him.
"Dad, I'm tired, will you carry me again?" Nai asked, tugging on his uncle's sleeve.
"It's only a couple more stories... You can walk, you're not crippled, child." Ephram said, rolling his eyes.
The pair finally reached the door blocking access to the roof.
"You wanna break the security code, or should I?"
"I'll do it, dad." Nai said, happily messing around on the computer terminal that controlled it. A few seconds later there was a beep, and the door slid open. Ephram smiled.
"Good thing they keep these kinds of things at least on their own seperate generators, or we would have had to force it... Heh. Well, come on, brat, with any lu-" He stopped mid-sentance as he stepped outside. Nai followed him and gasped.
"Wow! What... What are those?!" He asked excitedly as he looked up at the sky.
"Those are the stars, Nai... You've heard about them, right?"
"Yeah... But I never realised that they... Wow! You can really see them!" He said, excitedly. Ephram nodded.
"Usually you can't, because even at night there are so many lights all over the planet that they just can't get through... It's really sad, when you think about it. Something as beautiful as this... And nobody ever gets to see it... Nobody even cares. We're alone out here, Nai... Nobody else is even bothering." He said, turning to face Nai and gesturing at the surrounding rooftops. On theirs a small amount of light came from the flashlight they'd used to get up the stairs, but nobody seemed to be on any of the others.
"Why not? Don't they want to see? Don't they want to know what it's like?" Nai asked, crying a little. "It's not right! People should be out here so they can see! It's really pretty!"
"Don't cry, kid... It's not really our problem, I guess, though it -is- sad." He looked back at the stars. "I wonder... I wonder if we're the last people who'll ever see this..."
"Have you ever seen the stars before, dad?"
"Yeah... Once, before you were born. The power went out then too... It was so beautiful... Still is." He smiled. "Did you know, Nai? There are pictures in the stars."
"Huh? Really? I don't see any..." He said, peering at the sky confusedly.
"Heh, not pictures like in data files like you have at school. You have to use your imagination for these ones... They've been there for thousands of years. Hmm... What's an easy one... Ah! See that group of stars there, the one that kind of looks like a cat?" Ephram said, pointing.
"...Yeah! Cool! Hehe, this is so neat!" Nai said, bouncing around.
"Isn't it? Come back over here, I'll show you some more." The two of them sat down next to eachother. Ephram pointed out the constellations and told the stories behind them, and Nai listened and absorbed it all like a sponge.
"Hey dad...?" He asked.
"Hm?"
"Do you think that if they find a new planet for us to live on, that we'll be able to see the stars there?"
"Yes... Quite easily, probably... It will take a long time to colonize a new planet properly, and much longer for our numbers to grow large enough again for it to become as bad as this... Although hopefully we'll learn this time, and we won't make the same mistakes again... But there will be stars, and I'm sure that there will be constellations there as well... Not the same as here, but we'll find them, right?"
"Right! Promise me we'll look at them together?"
"I promise, Nai... We will."

---

Ian-Kun X glared up at the stars.
"You promised me... That night, and again before you left... You promised me we'd look at them together, that we'd find new constellations together... But... You..." He grabbed a shell and threw it into the ocean as hard as he could. "Damn it! Why... Why did you have to die?! Why... And why couldn't I ever get any information about how? I still can't find anything... Not elsewhere on Ragol, and not here either... Why, dad? What happened to you? I came here because I wanted to find the truth, but I'm no closer now than I was when I first got involved in the investigations... I know you were around somewhere... I know you were involved in this mess somehow... But... What happened... I don't know that... Or why... Why the hell you'd let yourself and your work get corrupted by this madness..." He seethed. "Damn it, Osto, what the hell were you up to? Stupid... Jerk. Argh." He growled. Fluffy brushed against him again, harder this time, as if seeking to comfort him. He sighed.
"Yeah, I know, Fluffy... Getting pissed about it won't help anything. Bleh... I guess I should get back to work. Still gotta send that message fragment I found to the Lab so they can analyze it... More Elly, I suppose. Heh. At least she's entertaining, if a little odd... Kind of reminds me of dad in a way... Same obsession with machines. Although dad was more into just computers, and I don't think he particularily found them 'cute' or 'sexy'... Heh." He smiled and looked at the sky one more time.
"I think we'll be alright, Fluffy... Somehow we'll all pull through this, and it'll be alright someday... I guess until then we just have to keep living as best as we can, right?" Fluffy bobbed in agreement. Ian-Kun X smiled. "Come on, kid, let's get this finished for the night and go home. I'm tired." He grabbed his weapon from where he'd set it down and walked along the beach towards the nearest teleporter.

--------------------------------------------------

Fluffy ~ Kataomoi

He wakes up in the morning, stretches, drags himself out of bed, says good morning and trudges off to the shower. I follow him. I always follow him... Everywhere he goes, there I am as well. It's always been like this, ever since the day we met...
From that day on, I've always been there with him. Protecting him. Watching over him. Helping him become stronger. It's my duty to protect him... This is the purpose I was born for. I don't question it, not with him... But there was a time once when I did.
I remember it as if it were yesterday... Back when I was first activated... I sat in the storeroom at the Hunter's Guild, anxiously waiting, like all the other baby Mags, for the day when I'd be assigned to a fledgling Hunter. To protect them, and help them grow as a Hunter, and grow along with them. It seemed like such a wonderful thing to exist for... And that day finally came. But... The person I was assigned to... He was a cruel person. He hated me, because he thought I was too 'girly' for him. He didn't want 'some stupid girly purple Mag'... So he abandoned me. He threw me away in a deserted alley in a bad part of the city he lived in. Literally... I hit the side of the building he threw me against so hard I was damaged and couldn't move. I'm not sure how long I lay there, thinking about things... Wondering why... Wasn't I good enough? Wasn't I worth anything to him? Were all people like this? Didn't I deserve to be cared about?
And then he came. Just a pathetic little scrap of a boy, with stringy blonde hair and green eyes, wearing dirty, torn clothing. He was crying and lost... And he found me where I'd fallen and picked me up. He held me against him and I tried my best to comfort him... All I could do was blink at him a bit, but it seemed to help. After a while he got up and found his way home... Still holding me. His uncle, a boy not that much older than him, fixed me... And I've been with him ever since. He wanted me... I guess that's when I started to change... Most Mags aren't like me... We have some degree of intelligence, yes, but we're not really much better than pets... But I'm different. For some reason I've changed... I'm not like I used to be. And these feelings I have now... Just being with him, like I always am... It's a good feeling... When he talks to me, I'm happy... When he holds me at night while he sleeps like he always has... I feel... Warm inside, I guess... I'm not sure what 'warm' is, but I think it's right... The way I feel about him... I don't understand it at all. It's beyond just simply wanting to carry out my duties... I don't just want to protect him... And just being near him... Lately it isn't enough anymore. I want... I want to be able to talk to him. I want to be able to hold him when he cries. I want to be someone he cares about as more than just an odd sort of friend. I want my voice to reach him...
These strange feelings... Is this love? Is the reason I want these strange, foreign things... Is it because I love him? I don't even know for sure what love even is... It's not something I really have any knowledge about... But... That feels right, for some reason, that word...
I think it is love... But that's so silly to even think of...! I'm just a Mag... Just another piece of his equipment...
But... It can't be that strange, can it? If a computer can fall in love with a Newman girl, is it really so strange to think that a Mag could fall in love with a Human boy...?
I wish I could tell him how I feel... But what good would it do? What purpose would it serve? I don't think he feels the same way about me that I do about him... How could he? Really, it would probably just strain things... As it is now, maybe I can't talk to him... Maybe I can't tell him how I feel... But... I can still be close to him. I can protect him, and always be with him... Maybe it isn't enough, but... I can live with it. And maybe someday I'll be able to tell him... Somehow...
And I really am happy...

----------------------------------------------------

I warned you about the second one. >P
Yes, I am a sappy, pathetic romanticist.

Er... Any comments/criticisms/death threats? How badly does it suck?

See, I told you I suck at description. >_>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2003-11-09 00:32 ]</font>

MQuantum
Nov 9, 2003, 09:35 AM
It's the opposite of "suck".

Really, it's quite good! i was seeing all your critism at the top of yourself, Then I read the first line and wondered if someone else had wrote it! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So, as someone who thinks it it good, I encourage you to continue to work on it, and perhaps well see some more from you.

And since it is good, you're falsely advertising in the title. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sunblast
Nov 9, 2003, 11:29 AM
Hey, that was pretty good. Especially the Fluffy part. I love purple. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KaFKa
Nov 9, 2003, 12:39 PM
that was actually quite good. your descriptive text was very well done, and the character progression is nice as well. *clap, clap* very, very well done.

Nai_Calus
Nov 9, 2003, 04:58 PM
*blush* Thanks for the support and encouragement, guys. ^^ I'm glad you liked them...

Er. I forgot to give translations for the japanese in the titles. 'Hoshi' is 'star' and 'Kataomoi' is more or less 'unrequited love'. They just seemed appropriate... *shrug*

...*runs out of things to say* x_X

...What happened to the <;? o_O

Hikara
Nov 10, 2003, 09:39 AM
You know, being a writer, I've noticed that every time someone says their writing sucks, it turns out great. Don't underestimate yourself. It it really sucked, it wouldn't be up here, now would it?

Keep up the good work.

AUTO_
Nov 10, 2003, 02:07 PM
I liked it Ian http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

I never thought of MAGs like that, but you explain them very well.

Keep up the good work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Skett
Nov 10, 2003, 06:05 PM
You underestimate yourself. This was good. I also never thought of mags like that. Poor mag, though. I would hurt that Hunter that throw the mag away if I met him and, y'know, he was real. Good read.

Yosh...