View Full Version : ASL, and Other Ridiculous Rituals in Instant Messaging

Cowboy
Nov 17, 2003, 10:34 PM
Ok, I need to rant again.

Standard yahoo conversation:

Somerandomgirl: Hi!
Me: Hi! How are you?
Somerandomgirl: ASL plz?!

*Note how before answering my question, she asks what my Age, Sex, and Location are. Why? All this will do is give her a generalization of who I am. She will then form a steryotype based on this information, assuming that I am the standard:

Me: 16/M/Fl, you?
Next, a few things routinely occur.

Somerandomgirl: 14/f/somestateotherthanmyown
Somerandomgirl: Got a gf?

Ok... Youre 14. You are too young for me. I'mnot going to date someone who cant even drive with a legal adult yet. You are also In a state other than mine. Whatever relationship we could have would not work. Say we get along great, then what? I drive 800 miles to take you to a movie? Come on, think. You've never met me, I'mout of your agegroup, and Ilive in another state. Whats the point in your question?

And:

Somerandomgirl: 16/f/someotherstate
Me: cool.
Somerandomgirl: Oh cool! Got a gf?

Ok, same reason stated in the ending of above.

Also:

Somerandomgirl: 16/f/samestateasmine. oh cool, were in the same state! where ya from!

Me: (Insert my city here)
Somerandomgirl: Oh cool, I live (insert city that is over 100 miles away) So,ya got a gf?!

Me: No, why?
Somerandomgirl: Just wonderin.

(We continue talking, nand we actually get along. She then asks if I'd like to go out with her)

Me: No thanks, sorry.
Somerandomgirl: But we get along great, why not?

Ok...why not... Hmm, let me think for a moment.

WHY I WONT GO OUT WITH THIS GIRL, AND REASONS THAT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS TO THIS GIRL AS TO WHY I DECLINED HER OFFER:

1: She lives over 100 miles away. Sorry, but maybe if you were a lil' closer

@: I met her online. I know NOTHING about her, other than what she told me. She also knows only what I told her. Reasons should make themselves evident here.

I'll add more when I feel up to typing again.

polishedweasel
Nov 17, 2003, 10:40 PM
um...stay away from public chat rooms...unless you like to cyber. Then by all means stay in there.

Also....14-16 isn't a bad age ratio. When I was 16 my girlfriend was 14, then halfway through being 16 she turned 15, if that makes sense to you. But I'm 18 now and she's 17, we've been dating for a while. Anyway, why are girls flinging themselves at you? They must be very very sad people. very...

Cowboy
Nov 17, 2003, 10:44 PM
I turn 17 in the first week of janurary, these are girls that just turned 13-14. They also live in another state. And no, they arent asking me to "Be their boyfriend", but it is rather a standard question. Thats why i made this thread, because I think these types of questions are ridiculous and useless if you take them literally.

polishedweasel
Nov 17, 2003, 10:56 PM
yes, yes they are...

Cowboy
Nov 17, 2003, 10:59 PM
*opens mouth, then inserts foot*

SorceressofTime
Nov 17, 2003, 11:43 PM
that doesn't beat it when you're a chic typing with a name that obviously tells you're a female and get this in a few windows:

"hey, how's it going? asl" as a first msg
"so are u a virgin?" during the start of a convo
"do u give head?" from others at multiple windows
"wanna meet up with me?" when it's like 2am in the morning and i don't know the guy. ><

and yes, those are all from various males. all aged 17+. pretty sad but. -_-;;

Guile
Nov 18, 2003, 12:20 AM
Hahhahahaah thats funny! go out! hahahaha ahhh thats a good one.....

Reenee
Nov 18, 2003, 01:37 AM
AOL started all of this. Blame them.

opaopajr
Nov 18, 2003, 03:36 AM
i still usually reply with, "i'm an avocado and i'm not ripe yet. 1/fruit(technically ovary)/orchard" it usually stops/starts the nonsense fast.

but why are you in chat rooms? they became verboten since the deluge of mongoloids brought about by AOL. pre-AOL chat rooms *could* have incredibly intellegent discussions, because mostly colleges, organizations, and government were the only ones to have the infrastructure to easily get online. now everyone can, and though it's good that it's democratized, it reveals how much of the youth culture really is not worth the time.

Kasumi19
Nov 18, 2003, 01:08 PM
Even though the immediate ASL check can be annoying. I find myself actually amused by some of it depending on what kind of mood I am in. Since I know almost anyone who would even present that question immediately is likely younger than me.

I usually give them this answer

Obviously older than you, You can't tell? and far away.

The above answers are likely correct in most cases and will typically detour any individual from asking to be my boyfriend/girlfriend. I am female by the way but have received both forms of that question from ignorant people.

As far as chatrooms go, it all depends on what type of chatroom you go to and where it is. AOL chatrooms are almost always filled with young adolescents that have nothing better to talk about than their silly JR high and early high school crushes on people they have never met or do not actually have the nerve to talk to. I do not want to hear about that. I am not saying that all high schooler and JRs do this, but I ran into this frequently when I still found chatrooms to be somewhat entertaining. I hated high school and I am so thankful that part of my life is over.

AOL was not so bad in the mid to late 90's. I joined AOL in July of 1994 and you could actually get some intelligent conversations because most of the subscribers were working adults that could afford the service. It was hourly then and did not have the 1000 free hours perks that it does now. I think you got five free hours at most then. The newest version was 2.5. I could spend many hours there if I chose to because it was free for me. I worked for an electronics store that promoted AOL and had the AOL Visa so between the two I never paid for service. This may give a hint to my actual age.

I somewhat miss the days of AOL being an intelligent place to converse before all the immature kidlets took over, but at the same time I am glad internet service is more affordable now so that a greater number of people can utilize it. I have used various broadband services for about four years now.

I now pretty much stay away from the chatroom scene unless it is a chat for work, school, or scheduled between friends or family. I use AIM often to keep up with friends because it cheaper than using the phone.

I have also found some intelligent people on XBOX PSO to talk to and at the same time I found some of the worst people as well.

As I see it, I am going to run into some good people as well as the irritating, ignorant, annoying, and plain stupid people wherever I go. I like to rant sometimes because it gets things out and makes me feel better sometimes.

Mystil
Nov 18, 2003, 01:41 PM
Maybe I'm just desperate for love, I've had one failed online relationship, and another that was successful but didn't get far cause of distance. Glad we stayed friends. Anyway since I've super blocked all aim users from aiming me out of nowhere, and having a prompt come up so I can see who it is FIRST that would like to aim me, I've since been rid of this problem. Before I found out about the aim prompt, I was getting all kinds of freakin aims from 'bots' and actual hornified females.

Guntz348
Nov 18, 2003, 03:06 PM
Ya know what I always wanted to do when I was like 16 and AOL just starting to catch on? Pose a girl get some guy to meet me. Then have a girl I knew pose as me, the "girl" hes supposed to meet up with. Then in 2 cars we follow him, one pulls up in front of him, most likely mine since it was the fastest one we had. I pull up in front and e-brake it sideways to cut him off the other car pulls up behind him, the the girl inside hits the power locks to keep the doors open. We jump out the cars drag him out, jump him and roll him. Take anything thats not bolted down thats worth anything. Never did it, but I always wanted to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-11-18 14:13 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Nov 18, 2003, 03:15 PM
you have issues

Firocket1690
Nov 18, 2003, 03:25 PM
What what the what ?!!!

I got lost somewhere after the second car... -_-

-Luke-
Nov 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
Note to self...dont piss off Guntz...EVER
Luke

polishedweasel
Nov 18, 2003, 04:06 PM
On 2003-11-18 12:06, Guntz348 wrote:
Ya know what I always wanted to do when I was like 16 and AOL just starting to catch on? Pose a girl get some guy to meet me. Then have a girl I knew pose as me, the "girl" hes supposed to meet up with. Then in 2 cars we follow him, one pulls up in front of him, most likely mine since it was the fastest one we had. I pullup in front and e-brake it sideways to cut him off the other car pulls up behind him, the the girl inside his the power locks to keep the doors open. We jump out the cars drag him out, jump him and roll him. Take anything thats now bolted down thats worth anything. Never did it, but I always wanted to.

You still wanna do that? I'm up for it!

Guntz348
Nov 18, 2003, 05:11 PM
Hehe sure man. See I never actually did it, just thought of it. And the way I see it, if some 40 year old is gonna try to pick up a 15 year old girl off the internet then well maybe, just maybe, he'll get what he's got coming ya know?

Firocket1690
Nov 18, 2003, 05:28 PM
On 2003-11-18 14:11, Guntz348 wrote:
Hehe sure man. See I never actually did it, just thought of it. And the way I see it, if some 40 year old is gonna try to pick up a 15 year old girl off the internet then well maybe, just maybe, he'll get what he's got coming ya know?

The heart knows no age ...

... there are exceptions.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hikara
Nov 18, 2003, 06:06 PM
Interesting indeed...

I'm gonna go hang out at the PSOW chat room, now...

LamerPanda
Nov 18, 2003, 06:14 PM
that doesn't beat it when you're a chic typing with a name that obviously tells you're a female

Don't use names that make it obvious you're female. O_o;

If someone starts with "A/S/L", tell them you're a 63-year-old male red mage in an arctic research station with a +5 Girdle of Dexterity. If people actually show interest, I suggest you leave the room.

KaFKa
Nov 18, 2003, 06:18 PM
On 2003-11-18 15:14, LamerPanda wrote:

If someone starts with "A/S/L", tell them you're a 63-year-old male red mage in an arctic research station with a +5 Girdle of Dexterity. If people actually show interest, I suggest you leave the room.

now that's just freaky...

MasterJoel
Nov 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
On 2003-11-18 12:51, L_evans wrote:
Note to self...dont piss off Guntz...EVER
Luke

that's why you always tip the bartender, you never know when they will pose as a woman and take everything you have.

anyhow, this is why i hardly chat with random people on AIM. the thing is, if you actually tell them your A/S/L, 90% of them say in the next text "so, waht do u look liek?????!??". i'm a hideous freak. and anyhow, chat is a faceless medium. i'd rather not like to know, unless i really knew you well. until then, you can just "phantasize" about how dreamy i really am. now, shoo, li'l girl, shoo!

geewj
Nov 18, 2003, 07:15 PM

A 65 year old elf would still be decent looking, red mages are hot, I'll see what I have to trade to make them part with that girdle of dexterity...

Suppa_Buddha
Nov 18, 2003, 09:40 PM

that doesn't beat it when you're a chic typing with a name that obviously tells you're a female

lol. Sounds fun!

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Nov 18, 2003, 10:29 PM
On 2003-11-18 15:06, Hikara wrote:
Interesting indeed...

[6:05pm] * Hikara has joined #psow
[6:06pm] <Hikara> hello, everyone.
[6:06pm] * Hikara has quit IRC (Client Quit)
[6:06pm] <HumanHead> Hello!

polishedweasel
Nov 19, 2003, 03:50 AM
On 2003-11-18 19:29, BlackCanaryOfDeath wrote:

On 2003-11-18 15:06, Hikara wrote:
Interesting indeed...

[6:05pm] * Hikara has joined #psow
[6:06pm] <Hikara> hello, everyone.
[6:06pm] * Hikara has quit IRC (Client Quit)
[6:06pm] <HumanHead> Hello!

ha ha....did you read the chat rules at all Hikata? Says to give em a few minutes before bouncing out that mofo. Try that next time...

LamerPanda
Nov 19, 2003, 04:19 PM
On 2003-11-18 16:15, Prof_Frink wrote:
A 65 year old elf would still be decent looking, red mages are hot, I'll see what I have to trade to make them part with that girdle of dexterity...

But the fact that you're an elf in the first place is somewhat worrisome. >_> Then again, I think Frink sees different planes of reality. I KNOW THE TRUTH.

"red mages are hot"? Guh, they remind me of Strago with the white hair. ;_; I am full of hate for him!

SorceressofTime
Nov 20, 2003, 01:10 AM
hahahah i remember a few years ago i posed as someone who was gay to some and a lesbian to others. now THAT was fun! XD