PDA

View Full Version : Does location affect chances of FSOD?

JaymoFish
Dec 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
Hey,
I just was thinking, is latency a factor of FSOD or is it just the game not being designed for such a flood of packets?

I am in Australia on 1.5mbit DSL (cant get cable in my area http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif no 10mbit for me), would my chances of encountering an FSOD be more than say... someone in the states on a similar speed connection?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JaymoFish on 2003-12-15 08:17 ]</font>

A2K
Dec 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
The basic rule of thumb is the more lag there is, the better chance there is for the game to crash. It's best to avoid full blocks whenever you can. I don't think location has anything to do with it, and since you're on broadband you should be fine for the most part.

Superguppie
Dec 15, 2003, 12:42 PM
I think the problem is not location related. The ppl I know that have the most FSODs are the ones with the (slow) 56K modems. I also heard a many problems on a dialup connection can be prevented by using a BBA and hooking it up to a PC that then acts as a router.
I think it's more of a problem with packets being mutilated, or being recieved in parts. So, the more packets to be received, the bigger the chance of getting a messed up packet, which may cause a crash...