PDA

View Full Version : Fighting fomar

Noone
Dec 16, 2003, 07:09 PM
Sorry if this is a newbish question, but does anyone else switch a mind mag and a power mag in the middle of battle to go from magic to fighting because my friend says thats a waste of time and i should just keep the power mag equiped.

Slicer238
Dec 16, 2003, 07:12 PM
Well it is sort of a waste of time and you should just make yoru fomar excel in one catergory. But you could do what I did, ignore that and make a melee/caster hybrid.

Noone
Dec 16, 2003, 07:22 PM
well, he reaches the max mst, 1340, with the mind mag so, I want to branch him out now instead of having him just be limited.

Slicer238
Dec 16, 2003, 07:24 PM
Well do what you like, thats all I have to say. Right now I'm content with my fomar's melee and caster abilities.

Eihwaz
Dec 16, 2003, 07:25 PM
Hmm, no, it's hardly a newbish question. Someone asking about time management with FOmar mags is most likely NOT a newb. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Personally, I'd raise a high DEX/POW mag for Meleeing, and a High Mind Mag for casting. Switch between mags as nessecary. Playing with a team of all other FOs? Or maybe only 1 HUnter? Then melee your way through. Need a tech-blaster and support engine? Mind mag should be equipped.

badbitz
Dec 16, 2003, 08:01 PM
one of my freinds on PSO *cough* Celine Jules *cough*
who is legit suggests using a mix between a power and a mind mag focusing more on the power if you were, say, a HUnewearl. Is this a good strategy or should a HUne be all just power? Most people on PSO make a HUnewearl and not at all enchance their casting ability.

Eihwaz
Dec 16, 2003, 08:27 PM
On 2003-12-16 17:01, badbitz wrote:
one of my freinds on PSO *cough* Celine Jules *cough*
who is legit suggests using a mix between a power and a mind mag focusing more on the power if you were, say, a HUnewearl. Is this a good strategy or should a HUne be all just power? Most people on PSO make a HUnewearl and not at all enchance their casting ability.

I've said it before: A HUnewearl mag should have lots and lots of DEX, a good chunk of POW, little to no MIND, and as low DEF as possible.

If a HUnewearl has a mag with say, 195 Pow (Mark 3, XD) and uses it in ult. You'll do lots of damage...IF and/or WHEN you hit the enemy. Personally, I'd go with something like (5/105/90/0). If you prefer, maybe less DEX for more POW, but it works quite well with 90 DEX.

badbitz
Dec 16, 2003, 08:30 PM
why no mind support?

Bill
Dec 16, 2003, 08:50 PM
wheres what you do Equip the pow mag and use mind/units in your armors slots

Eihwaz
Dec 16, 2003, 09:05 PM
On 2003-12-16 17:30, badbitz wrote:
why no mind support?

Well, their MST grows just fine by itself, and you can make up for the lack of MIND on your mag with Mind Mats.

Even for HUnewearls, MST is only good for Resta, Anti, S/D/J/Z, Ryuker, and maybe the occasional attack tech.

Oh, it's also good for Holy Rays. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Travtig123
Dec 16, 2003, 09:12 PM
I'd just keep the power MAG, but keep the Mebtal one in case you need to learn a higher-level technique.

joluh
Dec 16, 2003, 11:02 PM
I change from my Pow Mag to my Mind Mag... but not in the middle of a battle...

I rather go all the Stage meeleing, or just force-ing

Noone
Dec 17, 2003, 04:53 PM
does anyone change merges to adapt to the enemy in the middle of battle too? cuz i'm feeling kind of alone in the mag thing...

FurionStormrage
Dec 17, 2003, 10:21 PM
Well, with my fomar.. i use a maxgrinded.. untekked, srank twin.. which lets me cast quite fast.. and his atp is high.. same with mind.. he uses a pow/dex mag with 3 god/hp and a god/battle.... and then put that in combo with s/d/j/z.. and you should be able to beat the crud outta anything.. with no need for switching..

Eihwaz
Dec 17, 2003, 11:47 PM
On 2003-12-17 13:53, Noone wrote:
does anyone change merges to adapt to the enemy in the middle of battle too? cuz i'm feeling kind of alone in the mag thing...

Heh, even in Ult Mines and Up, my FOnewm still switches between his trusty Red and Blue Merges...kinda pesky to do, but, meh, it's all good...it'd be more worth it for a set of the 3 RA-tech merges, though...

Rep0
Dec 18, 2003, 12:30 AM
On 2003-12-17 19:21, FurionStormrage wrote:
untekked, srank twin

How is this possible?

Kamatz
Dec 18, 2003, 01:36 AM
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but... If you're going to make a fighting character, why not use an HU instead of an FO?

Spider
Dec 18, 2003, 06:58 AM
A melee force is a real challenge, I have one, and its lv 25 I think and only just gotten up to hard :S

FurionStormrage
Dec 18, 2003, 11:13 AM
ok, untekked.. i think i mighta used the wrong word.. alls i meant was i hadnt added a specal to it.. from doing the east/west tower quests.. and a fighting fomar is wayyyyyy better then any hu class.. because you get all techs at max lvl.. and you have the mst to use them quite a bit.. and you can still get the same atp as a hunewearl.. or a humar.. my fomar.. at lvl 110.. his srank twin.. with shifta/deband.. has over 1k def.. and i think.. just above 2k atp.. and over 2k tp.. all techs at 30.. so he is able to walk around.. fighting when mst is low.. or if i want to conserve fluids.. or if i wanna just destroy the room.. i can use my lvl 30 techs to lay waste to ANYTHING! =)

MaxBuster
Dec 18, 2003, 12:11 PM
I love Forces and think they are the best, but I believe they were meant to use techs. If challenges are what people are looking for, I'd suggest they unequip the MAG and not use S/D/J/Z, that would make for a real challenge. Otherwise, using Forces other than teching would only be for bragging rights, not that there's anything wrong with it.

Noone
Dec 18, 2003, 03:45 PM
The only reason i want to fight is that i have maxed out my MST, so i need to focus else where and i never really concentrated on meleeing in ultimate.

navci
Dec 18, 2003, 04:57 PM
On 2003-12-17 22:36, Kamatz wrote:
Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but... If you're going to make a fighting character, why not use an HU instead of an FO?

Ya know. Fluids costs. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
If you have a melee FO you might not need frequent visit to P2 to replenish your fluid. And you actually get to smack things with your fancy weapons, and, everyone will look at you like "OMG! A Melee FO!"

And, a melee FO has access to something that no Hunters or rangers do. Level 30 Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure.

It makes sense, ya know.

Kupi
Dec 18, 2003, 05:14 PM
There's only one thing stronger in the melee game than a Force with maxed-out support techs, and that's a HU boosted with said FO's support.

Viva la teamwork.

ironchef111
Dec 18, 2003, 05:53 PM
i have a fomar at lvl 110 and i do not switch a mag because my mag is even it has 50 in mind and pow. the fomar is only good to use mele if you are playing with all forces or all rangers or a mix of the 2. and if that doesn't work try to find some units to up those two stats in the long run that will help.

Spider
Dec 20, 2003, 04:03 AM
On 2003-12-18 09:11, MaxBuster wrote:
I love Forces and think they are the best, but I believe they were meant to use techs. If challenges are what people are looking for, I'd suggest they unequip the MAG and not use S/D/J/Z, that would make for a real challenge. Otherwise, using Forces other than teching would only be for bragging rights, not that there's anything wrong with it.

With a Fonewearl with no magic what so ever and no weapon equiped? No picking up, buying or using items.

You'd have to be like lv 100 before attempting falz on normal, lol

Neverwinter
Dec 20, 2003, 05:05 AM
Yes, it is a challange but whats the point? I suppose if you wanted a power and a mind force that would e ok considering the FOmar has the highest ATP out of the forces anyway. I concentrated my mag in mind and the lowest is Pow. (40/20/40/100) This helped me with mind, gave me a defence and accuract boost and a touch of power, now just use (S/D/J/Z) and you have greater ablities. But it still isnt better than just making a HUnewarl. I say just make a HUnewarl.

Asia_Skyly
Dec 20, 2003, 01:32 PM
I think changing mags in the middle of battle is a waste of time. If anything, change weapons (Indra, Agni, Dagon). Those three weapons are common. Mags are precious and expensive. Carrying multiple mags on you is only tempting the FSOD monster. Best not to do it.

As far as Fomars go, they are all meant to be Melee Forces. Even at max MST, their damage in useful techs is pitiful. Sure, Gifoie does a lot of damage, but its slow animation will get you killed most of the time. For that reason I suggest you play to your character's strenghts, and that is: Melee Force all the way!

In my opinion the Fomar is a complex and interesting character that goes through several phases. At some point, between level 50-140, you will be more efficient as a pure force, using a Mind Mag, Merges and the correct wand. From 140 onwards, you will be much more efficient as a Melee Force. This means that you will need a Mag with as much DEX and Power as you can afford, even if that means no MIND at all!

Once you get to 180+ you can play the hybrid force to perfection. What you do from this point onwards is completely up to you.

In the end, how you play your Fomar is always up to you. Find something that you feel comfortable with and know that no matter how things are going, you are one of the few characters with enough flexibility to change your game at any time!

Go Battle Fomars!

Asia Sky, Fomar, 190 Pinkal

FurionStormrage
Dec 26, 2003, 03:39 AM
oh hey.. i might of forgot to mention.. when you have max stats.. like i do.. with my 110 fomar.. who needs a mag? only thing they're good for is invulerabilty.. me and my friend have done tons of battling.. between my fomar and his fonewm.. i barely ever swing with my srank twin +250.. because, well.. id only get one or two hits before im rabarta'd.. so in battle.. fomar's use techs.. when playing single player.. or even multiplayer.. thats when the melee comes in.. where you use support techs.. and like.. a razonde.. then you just go BTLS out of everything melee..

LordDez
Dec 26, 2003, 03:05 PM
If you want a good mag for a melee/casting FOmar try what I use: 20/80/40/60.
I can hold my own anywhere with only my signature Holy Ray, seeing how I haven't bothered to finish C-Mode...

That mag will give you the strength to use plenty of weapons, the 20 ATA boost is nice (Throw on a God/Arm and you'll be fine), and the 120 added MST gives your techs a fairly decent kick.

Nai_Calus
Dec 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
Don't hybridize. Do one or the other, unless your level is so high it doesn't matter. If you're going for tech FO, go for tech FO. MIND Mag, Merges, the works. If you're going for melee FO, go for melee FO. POW/DEX Mag, make sure you've got plenty of DEX, God/Arms as needed, if you can max that pathetic little amount of ATA, you'll be much better off. It's never 'plenty', in fact FOmars have such pitiful ATA I recommend a Red Ring even if you're maxed to help compensate, assuming dupes don't piss you/your teammates off. God/Battle, of course, whatever vaguely decent weapons you can manage, and maybe a God/Power or a God/HP or a Cure/Whatever, depending. You're still a Force even geared for combat, you've still got your S/D/J/Z, your Resta is still perfectly good, you've still got your Anti... You won't do shit with your techs for damage, but then, you won't ever. Forces do not work very well for tech damage online, it's just a fact of life. Zero does better in Ult Ruins with a Soul Eater than he does with his techs. A Double Saber is more effective on Vol Opt than techs. And these are low-end stuff, an S-rank Twin and Soul Banish will be much more effective than your techs.