PDA

View Full Version : Wich is better? PSO episode 1 or 2?

NeonShadow
Dec 21, 2003, 04:40 AM
I'm just curious. IMO Episode 1 is much better but I simply love the land scape in the second one

CGoodness
Dec 21, 2003, 09:31 AM
Episode 2

deathreaper
Dec 21, 2003, 10:27 AM
I'd have to say ep 2...for some reason i find i fun, i really like the VR lvl the way you can fight enemys from forest to ruins http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Link00seven
Dec 21, 2003, 11:05 AM
I like the classic levels of EpI, even if I have done them a billion times.

Dhylec
Dec 21, 2003, 11:34 AM
i like both! 40% e1, 60% e2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Maxsmile
Dec 21, 2003, 12:04 PM
i just played a little episode 1 and 2, but i mostly like episode 2, very beautiful

joluh
Dec 21, 2003, 12:10 PM
Episode 1 because of the EXP, i love the 4 stages, i love the items the enemies give me, and my fave it's forest

Episode 2 because of the graphics, new enemies and it's a lot harder than Episode 1

Malkavian
Dec 21, 2003, 12:15 PM
I like more Episode 1.
More exp, more rares, less running, easier. All to make it a lot more replayable.

GuardianPoe
Dec 21, 2003, 02:30 PM
The last two areas of episode 2 completely kick ass. The first two areas as are also nice, though their rehashing of ep.1 enemies and delegating them as 'VR' areas strikes me as a bit weak.

Actually, I have on major beef with episode 2 when playing online; the way team work is required to go through it. For some reason, you can play the entire CCA on your own, but you need an ally to get passed the first few rooms of the Temple. The design should better accomodate solo play when online so you can actually get things done while you wait for other players to show up and help, much in the matter of the Forest area in Episode 1.

anwserman
Dec 21, 2003, 02:37 PM
Episode 1 is better then 2.

The only reason why Episode 2 is harder then Episode 1 is the cheapness of the enemies. The monkeys that shoot Zonde = always shocked and the dumb monkeys that shoot megid. It takes WAY too long and its too hard. There were things that changed your status in Episode 1, but not where 8 monkeys came, sat there and shocked you all at once.

That is why I like Episode 1 more.

ilr2000
Dec 21, 2003, 03:44 PM
Episode 2 is much better. Its far more challenging and pushes you to be untouchable.

GuardianPoe
Dec 21, 2003, 03:48 PM
On 2003-12-21 11:37, anwserman wrote:
Episode 1 is better then 2.

The only reason why Episode 2 is harder then Episode 1 is the cheapness of the enemies. The monkeys that shoot Zonde = always shocked and the dumb monkeys that shoot megid. It takes WAY too long and its too hard. There were things that changed your status in Episode 1, but not where 8 monkeys came, sat there and shocked you all at once.

That is why I like Episode 1 more.

I'll give you that. I abhor CCA (Mountains, specifically) on Ultimate for that very reason. I never liked the monkeys on principle due to their movement patterns, but being continuously shocked is just plain cheap.

Butoden
Dec 21, 2003, 03:49 PM
Episode 2 is lame. Episode 1 is better, the levels are more real and more dungeon-like than stupid laser-fences and monkeys who take moves from Episode 1 enemies >(

SonicBlue22
Dec 21, 2003, 08:21 PM
I like:
Episode 1 15%
Episode 2 85%

badbitz
Dec 21, 2003, 08:27 PM
no way episode 1 is waaay better...
how can you even say ep.2 is better?
ya it looks better but ep.1 is more fun and way more xp
ep.2 is just senselessly harder with less xp

CGoodness
Dec 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
I like the temple solely because it has the most enemies with rares counterparts of any stage i think..

Rag Rappy
Hildebear
Poison Lilies

right?

Butoden
Dec 22, 2003, 05:19 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Right! But they always appear scattered across the area, like two Grass Assasins on the far end of the room and 4 Dimenians next to you, you try to deal with the Dimenians and the Grass Assasins are already close to you! It's always such a mess!
There's also areas with 8 traps, 4 Lillies and 2 Dark Belras!!

zimmk2vgc
Dec 23, 2003, 06:52 AM
if you want exp, go with episode 2. I have done lots of playing into this and I can now say that episode 2 has more exp than episode 1.

If you want a more classic game, go with epi1.

ilr2000
Dec 23, 2003, 09:39 AM
Wow.. seems everyone is pretty split on this. (at this moment) The poll is tied at 7 votes both ways.

Ranger_Larry
Dec 23, 2003, 10:39 AM
Not anymore http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I voted EP1 because it isn't quite so cheap. Those Del Depths in Seabed are very annoying.....even though Seabed is my favorite level, and Gol Drag and Gal Griff are (along with Olga) some of my favorite bosses, the other 3 levels just plain stink.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ranger_Larry on 2003-12-23 07:41 ]</font>

Vejita
Dec 23, 2003, 11:32 AM
On 2003-12-21 12:49, Butoden wrote:
Episode 2 is lame. Episode 1 is better, the levels are more real and more dungeon-like than stupid laser-fences and monkeys who take moves from Episode 1 enemies >(

the levels are more real? the vr fields and seabed are probably as "real" as ep.1 levels are. but all of GDV is you fighting out in pure nature...a jungle, a mountain, and a beach. that's more realistic than fighting 30 miles below the planet's surface in a gigantimongous freako spaceship. or highly technological mines, where there's no sign of mining except maybe one room.

GrandWarlock
Dec 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
On 2003-12-21 01:40, NeonShadow wrote:
I'm just curious. IMO Episode 1 is much better but I simply love the land scape in the second one/Episode 1 is better in every way except for the mini-bosses in episode 2. That is the only thing better about episode 2 over episode 1. Now the reason episode 1 is WAY better. 1. Default quests that you don't have to download. 2. It came first. 3. Pioneer 2 is better looking. 4. Get's you started and finishes you off. Well that should give you a general idea of how good episode 1 is. -grandwarlock-

Butoden
Dec 23, 2003, 03:37 PM
On 2003-12-23 08:32, Vejita wrote:

On 2003-12-21 12:49, Butoden wrote:

the levels are more real? the vr fields and seabed are probably as "real" as ep.1 levels are. but all of GDV is you fighting out in pure nature...a jungle, a mountain, and a beach. that's more realistic than fighting 30 miles below the planet's surface in a gigantimongous freako spaceship. or highly technological mines, where there's no sign of mining except maybe one room.

Fighting on an island is fun, but all the enemies from Episode 2 are just other skinned enemies from Episode 1. The monkeys are actually Wolves who can shoot fire and ice like Hildebears, and they also "howl" like wolves, they slam their hands on the ground instead and they have the same attack-pattern. The little Gis are just Cannadines!!! The Merillias are Rappies, they attack straight forward and retreat... They also come out of the ground, like Rappies getting up to fight http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Episode 1 is more original, fighting in Dungeon-Like Areas (Caves) is what PSO should be all about, the outside areas in Episode 2 are VERY nice and give a different atmosphere, but the Episode 1 underground scene is, I think, classic and can't be replaced by pretty graphics and the Beach Level http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
It's just my oppinion though...

kingmurp
Dec 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
Ep1 only has missions over ep2. Everything in EP2 is way better. Difficulty, music, traps, enemies, and enviroments make for a more enjoyable experience.

Butoden
Dec 23, 2003, 03:58 PM
Difficulty increase : Add various monsters from Episode 1 in one room and add some traps!

Sometimes Episode 2 can be cheap, but you're right about the enviroments and music http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

ilr2000
Dec 23, 2003, 04:00 PM
I liked episode 2 alot because it was interesting to see my characters go new places and fight new things. I've been doing the same levels since v1 was released way back when, and I got so used to it that it was difficult to imagine them fighting something other than a booma, cave's booma, mine's booma, and then ruin's booma.

When episode 2 came around my characters felt more alive, because they were exploring new places never before scene. Episode one has been mastered, so often times I think "I wonder how well I would handle a totally new situation?", and episode 2 was able to supply an answer.

kevlar_pso
Dec 24, 2003, 11:39 AM
If u enjoy cakewalks then u may favor ep I. Ep II is by far better. Not only is it fresh, but it is a challenge. In any area of ep I, w/exception to fighin Falz @a lower lev., you can waltz thru w/4 ppl. Ep II however, the entire seabed can give a 4 party group fits. Ep. II puts u on your toes, and I've been playin ep I since the ver1 and ver2 days. So I'l take ep II any day.

heyf00L
Dec 24, 2003, 12:14 PM
Spend a few weeks in Episode II CCA and Cbed and then go back to Episode I. It's so freaking easy.

Episode II is awesome.

Butoden
Dec 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Being more difficult isn't always what I like. Seabed is freaky, you download messages from a dead friend and your operator Elly sends confusing messages about it and other things... If there would be any messages from RICO about the ENEMIES there it would be more useful, but I had no idea how to fight the Doldolms for instance... Rico sended in USEFUL messages and explained the story at the same time, but this Flowen guy's only talking about how he lost his team :-

Arkne
Dec 25, 2003, 10:02 PM
i did episode 2 once and i'll never do it again, it was horrible, the item drops sucked, i hardly leveled at all, and the status effects were way out of line, if they had kept state/maintenance from dc pso it would have been bearable but im not going to put myself through that again

Vejita
Dec 26, 2003, 11:58 AM
On 2003-12-25 10:30, Butoden wrote:
Being more difficult isn't always what I like. Seabed is freaky, you download messages from a dead friend and your operator Elly sends confusing messages about it and other things... If there would be any messages from RICO about the ENEMIES there it would be more useful, but I had no idea how to fight the Doldolms for instance... Rico sended in USEFUL messages and explained the story at the same time, but this Flowen guy's only talking about how he lost his team :-

rico sent useful messages? like this one you mean?

"meh...don't let the boomas surround you...
...i dont like their faces."

what kinda bull**** battle tip is that?!??

i don't think message capsules are a valid reason for ep II sucking. and how did you not know how to attack a dolmolm? did you think there was a different approach than going and slashing/shooting/whatevering it, which was a battle technique that you could only learn through a rico capsule or something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vejita on 2003-12-26 09:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vejita on 2003-12-26 09:01 ]</font>

Myopathy
Dec 26, 2003, 12:33 PM
On 2003-12-26 08:58, Vejita wrote:slashing/shooting/whatevering it

"whatevering"? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif..hehehe sorry, I just found that very creative.

Anyway, here's my two cents. Now I haven't played much of Episode 2. Ran through all of it a couple of times, but not enough to be completely familiar with it. I personally prefer Episode 1, although I've played through it so many times. It might just be because I am more familiar with it. It seems to be more organized. Ep2 runs can become big clusterfights sometimes where you just attack whatever the hell is moving and within your range because...well, u don't know what else you're suppose to do. I also didn't like Episode 2 mainly due to how annoying it can get. I'm not complaining about its difficulty for I'm never one to gripe when I get beaten down to the ground (I'll pout sometimes, but that's about it). But just take situations like in Seaside when you have some 50 flying insect things (can you tell I haven't played Ep2 enough), all over the beach. I mean that is nothing more than a nuisance because they hardly pose a threat but they is so many. And I swear 80% of that level consist of those buggers. Also the monkeys that shoot Megid...uh...no. I thought the Ult lilies were annoying, now I have 15 monkeys around me shocking me and shooting Megid at me like there's no tomorrow...what's a HUnewearl to do? Episode 2 does have its strong points. It's graphics is so much better. I mean Seaside vs. Mines...you get the point. Also the maps in Ep2 had topography and introduced the concept of elevation. The few additional monsters are a nice touch (except the stupid monkeys), and the bosses look pretty nice too. However, the Olga Flow battle was terribly disappointing in the sense that it didn't seem like you were fighting a final boss. Just seemed like it was just another boss who had a huge sword, could summon huge flagella things to attack you, and who was obviously trying to compensate for something...

dylcool
Dec 28, 2003, 02:45 AM
Each have their strong points, but I have to say, IMO Episode 2 is better. Besides the VR areas, almost everything in Episode 2 takes place in huge, varying rooms. While Episode 1 is generally more economical, the scenery and varying gameplay in Episode 2 get my vote.
It's a shame barely anybody plays Episode 2...

Webapprentice
Dec 28, 2003, 02:58 AM
I like how Episode 2's Jungle, as it uses non-orthogonal architecture that Episode 1's Forest uses. I would love to see more environments like that. All the other stages are too boxy looking.

I am split between the two. Each episode has something good and something bad. Aesthetics alone, Episode 2 wins.

I really wish Sonic Team would get a better story writer. The storyline is convoluted.

anwserman
Dec 28, 2003, 02:58 AM
Actually, I wouldn't mind Episode 2 at all if ST would have realized....

HOW THE HELL DO NON-ANDROIDS GET SHOCKED????

That shocked status should be an android-only thing. We already get pary and poison, while we all share slowmo and Jellen/Zalure. Why can't they get an exclusive SHOCK status effect (androids)? Makes sense to me!