PDA

View Full Version : FOmar, or FOmarl?

Boothead
Dec 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
Well, im stuck. I want to make a Melee force (and dont say HUnewearl, i really dont want to make one) which one should i pick?
I like how the FOmarl has the Grants boost though...it does alot of damage...
But, i cant decide. Help meeee!

kingmurp
Dec 21, 2003, 03:00 PM
I'd say FOmarl, cuz they're supposed to wear a dress n.n

SpyroDi
Dec 21, 2003, 03:18 PM
It depends;
FOmars have less HP and DFP than FOmarls do,their ATA is the worst in the game,and they have the most ATP of the Forces.
FOmarls have the most HP and DFP of all Forces,but have the least MST. They are the balanced-stats class of the Forces.

RaikoStormX
Dec 21, 2003, 06:52 PM
FOmar.....

Black000Moon
Dec 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
FOmarl

KaFKa
Dec 21, 2003, 07:07 PM
HUCAST!!!!!!!!!

but seriously...
go FOmarl, they actually look good...

Dhylec
Dec 21, 2003, 08:01 PM
hmm, from what i gathered & experienced..
fomarl - if online is your main playground, besides nice stats, her support bonus is a plus
fomar - if u intend to play offline more, also find weps w/hit % to help his poor ata

Nai_Calus
Dec 22, 2003, 07:43 AM
And while we're at it, get some high Hit % weapons for the FOmarl, too, her ATA is almost as bad. 9_9

"Oh, FOmar has shitty ATA, make sure you get him weapons with Hit, FOmarl is so much better, blahblahblah" Yeah, he does. So does she. God. Everyone falls over themselves to go on about how FOmarl is so great and how FOmar has such horrible DFP and HP and oh GOD you'll never get anything accomplished with him.

This is utter BS. Both of them are perfectly capable of doing whatever you want of them, unless you want to be an actual tech-using damage Force for some reason, in which case you're actually better off with Mr. Crossdresser, since he has better MST and ACTUAL USEFUL TECH DAMAGE BOOSTS.

That said, it really does not matter which you use. I don't fight any differently with my FOmar when he's meleeing than I do with my HUmar, for crying out loud. Only difference is I have to remind myself to cast the Shifta and Deband I always forget on myself. I remember it as support bitch, but not melee fighter, because I'm not used to having it while fighting. When I'm using techs, I don't really fight any differently than I do with my FOnewearl. It all starts to be the same after a while, so who cares? Pick whichever one you'll be more comfortable staring at for 600 hours. Don't pick a character for their stats. If I went by stats I'd have a dozen HUnewearls and HUcasts. Except I don't, because I can't stand the looks of either.

That said, I have three FOmars, and one FOmarl who gets neglected a lot. Granted, my baby FOmar is just as neglected, moreso actually, but. I use my main FOmar a lot, moreso even than my HUmar who was once my main character. I like the way he plays. I like his animations, I like the way he looks, I like his odd mixture of stats, I like how much he utterly and completely sucks, leaving me to fill in what his stats don't give me with skill and providing me with something resembling an actual challenge. I like him a lot better than my FOnewearl, who, while owning, is frankly boring. Same thing can probably be said for FOmarl. Make both. Try 'em. See if you like 'em. If you don't, well, use the other. If you can, make both, stick with 'em and see. If you don't like one, use the other and replace the other one with a class you'd never even considered using and give it a chance. *shrug* You may be surprised with a new favorite class.

Butoden
Dec 22, 2003, 07:51 AM
I'd say FOmarl, cuz they're supposed to wear a dress n.n LoL I would pick a FOmarl for On-Line and FOmar for offline.

Boothead
Dec 22, 2003, 10:54 AM
Well...hmmm...
Im still stuck! Aghh!
I dunno, i level up more offline, but i have a fiar share of going online.
The problem is, is that i want a force whom can use a weapon with actual proficency, not just to carry it around and call myself a "Melee force" (My friend pulls this bullshit all the time, and hes a FOnewearl XD)And my main character is a HUcast, so well, its kinda gross seeing the weakest physical character go after eneimes on ultimate with Twin Chakrams, and getting his ass handed to him.
But, yes, i want someone who can support themselves with a weapon, but have good enough techs to attack and support with. I know the FOmarls work well with the support, but can they support themselves with a weapon whatsoever? Im stuck on this.
Because if a FOmarl can melee with as much proficency was a FOmar, then my choice will be a FOmarl (gotta love that Grants boost!)
So, i sit here, and im stuck. Is the FOmar's meleeing significantly better than FOmarl's? Becasue that is the base of my question. Which force can hold a weapon better, but use techs enough to suport themselves offensively and defensivly?
Thank you! n_n

excecutor
Dec 22, 2003, 11:24 AM
Fomarl would be a nice choice if only for the new attack animations. Most of the animations for the fomarl are completely different from other classes, most of which are better. Gotta love her slicer attack http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I have one and I love playing with her, shes level 35 at the moment, she gets neglected a lot due to the fact that she is still in hard mode. Other than that, I would say fomarl, just to see all the new animations. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rudoprime
Dec 22, 2003, 11:26 AM
FOmarl, all thew way man!(or lady)lol

anwserman
Dec 22, 2003, 12:13 PM
FONEWEARL!

*cough*

Thats my melee force online. Lowest ATP of any character in the game, highest MST of any character in the game, and has the highest ATA of any force. Its good stuff. Put a mag on her with 50/50/50/50 and you'll be cookin' with fire. Get a good PB chain going with the twins? You'll be doin 600+ damage to enemies. Get a sawcer or diska, with four enemies targeted you'll be able to get 250 damage on each.

Trust me, its harder then hell to be a melee FOnewearl, but its also incredibly fun. I've been confused with a HUnewearl many times and many people have been shocked to see a FOnewearl melee... they've never seen it before. And its quite cool to be complimented and to surprise people when I do massive damage to enemies. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FOnewearl all the way, and Kelli can have a cult of melee FOnewearls that follow her way. And she's level 132 now!

http://lucky-s-designs.com/PSO/kelli_olga01.jpg (Ult. Olga Flow Offline)
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=71224&forum=1&start=30

Silver-X
Dec 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
Make both
,level them both to lv200, and then decide.
Pick 1, delet the other.
Done.

joluh
Dec 22, 2003, 01:44 PM
FOmarl, she's sexy, she's cute, she looks like a princess, she's magical... she's everything =D

FOmar, he's... X_X

GO FOMARL!!! =D

Saiffy
Dec 22, 2003, 02:05 PM
how can you say FOmars are bad, you say no to this:
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psochars/flash_of_light.jpg

Nai_Calus
Dec 22, 2003, 03:16 PM
On 2003-12-22 10:44, joluh wrote:
FOmarl, she's sexy, she's cute, she looks like a princess, she's magical... she's everything =D

FOmar, he's... X_X

GO FOMARL!!! =D

FOmarl is not sexy, not cute, does not look like a princess, and she's no more magical than any of the other Forces, and technically, she's the -least- 'magical'. I had a hell of a time making a FOmarl I like, and the only reason I even remotely like the one I have now is because she looks like the female twin of one of my FOmars and thus only annoys me with her ridiculous waddle when she runs, as opposed to constantly.

FOnewm, he's... X_X What the HELL is wrong with the way FOmars look? Ohhh no, he's wearing a dress! Ever hear of robes? And yeah, it is a goddamned dress. So? It looks better than the FOmarl's. FOmars done -correctly- are elegant and have a delicate ethereal quality to them. Sadly, nobody does them right and you always see that disgusting spiky hairstyle with the headband. For NPC examples of FOmars done correctly and incorrectly, one can look at Calus as an example of one done correctly, and at Break as an example of one done incorrectly. Rel'mitos also works for this, as he looks utterly ridiculous.

Go FOmar, even the people who use you screw you over. *twitch*

Silver-X
Dec 22, 2003, 03:27 PM
On 2003-12-22 12:16, Ian-KunX wrote:

On 2003-12-22 10:44, joluh wrote:

FOmar, he's... X_X

GO FOMARL!!! =D

FOmarl is not sexy, not cute, does not look like a princess, and she's no more magical than any of the other Forces, and technically, she's the -least- 'magical'. I had a hell of a time making a FOmarl I like, and the only reason I even remotely like the one I have now is because she looks like the female twin of one of my FOmars and thus only annoys me with her ridiculous waddle when she runs, as opposed to constantly.

FOnewm, he's... X_X What the HELL is wrong with the way FOmars look? Ohhh no, he's wearing a dress! Ever hear of robes? And yeah, it is a goddamned dress. So? It looks better than the FOmarl's. FOmars done -correctly- are elegant and have a delicate ethereal quality to them. Sadly, nobody does them right and you always see that disgusting spiky hairstyle with the headband. For NPC examples of FOmars done correctly and incorrectly, one can look at Calus as an example of one done correctly, and at Break as an example of one done incorrectly. Rel'mitos also works for this, as he looks utterly ridiculous.

Go FOmar, even the people who use you screw you over. *twitch*

HEEEYYYY !!! I have the spiky hairstyle with the headband!!!!!! so i'm disgusting? ._. * cries in a corner ...

excecutor
Dec 22, 2003, 03:46 PM
Ian, if I were offline, how would I see a fomar done right? I want to make a good one I really do, but when I make them they dont look very good....

haruna
Dec 22, 2003, 04:59 PM
A friend of mine melees a FOnewerl with Grass Assasin's sabers and flight fans. Another thing people forget with FOnewerls is they have very high evade. I believe it's the 3rd highest evade in the game(1st is RAmarl, then HUcaseal.)

badbitz
Dec 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
hoo the heck cares? a FO is a FO it doesnt matter the slight difference they look like.

Ketchup345
Dec 22, 2003, 05:44 PM
On 2003-12-22 13:59, haruna wrote:
Another thing people forget with FOnewerls is they have very high evade. I believe it's the 3rd highest evade in the game(1st is RAmarl, then HUcaseal.)

Actually, HUcaseals have slightly lower EVP than FOnewearls, so it goes:
RAmarl
FOnewearl
HUcaseal

Boothead
Dec 22, 2003, 06:21 PM
But guuuuuuyyyysss!
Which one melees better?
And which one is stronger with magic?
Thats what influences my descion. Hehe, im not much for looks either.
"FOmarl all the way man! (or lady)"
Oh yes, and by the way, the one who asked, I am a girl. Hahahaha.

Ketchup345
Dec 22, 2003, 08:07 PM
The FOmar has slightly better MST and TP, and 30% boosts to: Gi* techs, Grants, and double S/D range.

The FOmarl melees better IMO due to the slightly better ATA (at that low, even 1 ATA helps a lot) and DFP and HP. The FOmarl has double range to all support spells (S/D/R/A) and a 50% Grants boost.

I like the FOmarl, especially since I am trigger happy with Grants, and love to use TP stealing weapons instead of *fluids or trips back to town. I don't think the extra EVP and ATP are worth it at those numbers.

lain2k3
Dec 22, 2003, 09:40 PM
On 2003-12-22 17:07, Ketchup345 wrote:
The FOmar has slightly better MST and TP, and 30% boosts to: Gi* techs, Grants, and double S/D range.

The FOmarl melees better IMO due to the slightly better ATA (at that low, even 1 ATA helps a lot) and DFP and HP. The FOmarl has double range to all support spells (S/D/R/A) and a 50% Grants boost.

I like the FOmarl, especially since I am trigger happy with Grants, and love to use TP stealing weapons instead of *fluids or trips back to town. I don't think the extra EVP and ATP are worth it at those numbers.

exactly. fomarl is a better melee, but fomar is better caster

Raneth
Dec 22, 2003, 10:02 PM
FOmars are y.

Anyway, what about difference in casting speed? All my friends use FOmars, and when they cast Foie, it's amazingly fast, whereas when I cast it with my FOmarl, it goes slower...I thought it might have something to do with the fact that my friends are all 50 levels higher than me, but they say it's because of class differences. Who's right?

Nai_Calus
Dec 23, 2003, 02:57 AM
On 2003-12-22 19:02, Raneth wrote:
FOmars are y.

Anyway, what about difference in casting speed? All my friends use FOmars, and when they cast Foie, it's amazingly fast, whereas when I cast it with my FOmarl, it goes slower...I thought it might have something to do with the fact that my friends are all 50 levels higher than me, but they say it's because of class differences. Who's right?

Your friends. FOmars, and all male classes with techs, cast faster unarmed than females cast armed. A FOmar, unarmed, spamming L29 Gizonde will practically blind you. I speak from experience here, my soon-to-be-highest char is a FOmar and I use him more than any of my other chars.

The FOmarl's ATA does indeed make a difference, but you're STILL going to need high Hit % to do anything with her. >P

And Jellen/Deband accomplishes quite a lot. By the time you utterly rape it down with L30 Jellen and slap some high-level deband on yourself, everyone's a goddamned tank. Unless you're using a Merge, in which case you're hopefully -not- on the front lines... >P (As a support bitch, I -never- leave P2 without either an Anti or Resta Merge. >_>)

Speaking of Merges, that reminds me, I need to go test something that's been bugging me. FOnewm has no support tech multipliers whatsoever, yes?

In the end it doesn't matter anyway, as I've said. FOmarl is probably better, but I've never noticed any horrific glaring problems with my FOmar(Then again, if he's meleeing, he's got his ATA maxed, -and- has a Red Ring on top of that, bringing his working base ATA to a usable 183. I've even successfully used weapons without Hit! Whoo! >_>;)

Boothead
Dec 23, 2003, 11:08 AM
Ermm....dont Fomars have much higher ATP? And the difference between the ATA is not much watsoever really, just look at the stats.
Also, Fomars have better MST, ATP, and the HP can be fixed by a GOD/HP or two. So far, im thinking FOmar...just because theyre better for what im looking for.
The defense? Meh, that really doesn't make THAT much of a difference. Nothing a good armor could fix.
And, are the animations for the FOmarls THAT much better?
Becasue it seems that FOmars are the more offensive type, comparing to the defensiveness of the Fomarls. Im looking for offense i suppose...

GrandWarlock
Dec 23, 2003, 12:46 PM
On 2003-12-22 07:54, Boothead wrote:
Well...hmmm...
Im still stuck! Aghh!
I dunno, i level up more offline, but i have a fiar share of going online.
The problem is, is that i want a force whom can use a weapon with actual proficency, not just to carry it around and call myself a "Melee force" (My friend pulls this bullshit all the time, and hes a FOnewearl XD)And my main character is a HUcast, so well, its kinda gross seeing the weakest physical character go after eneimes on ultimate with Twin Chakrams, and getting his ass handed to him.
But, yes, i want someone who can support themselves with a weapon, but have good enough techs to attack and support with. I know the FOmarls work well with the support, but can they support themselves with a weapon whatsoever? Im stuck on this.
Because if a FOmarl can melee with as much proficency was a FOmar, then my choice will be a FOmarl (gotta love that Grants boost!)
So, i sit here, and im stuck. Is the FOmar's meleeing significantly better than FOmarl's? Becasue that is the base of my question. Which force can hold a weapon better, but use techs enough to suport themselves offensively and defensivly?
Thank you! n_n/ you should go with a FOmarl and give it a hildebear's or a hildeblue's cane. That's what I have on my FOmar and i almost never miss (actually I cna't remember missing at all) , so my response is FOmarl.

Ketchup345
Dec 23, 2003, 03:31 PM
On 2003-12-23 08:08, Boothead wrote:
Ermm....dont Fomars have much higher ATP? And the difference between the ATA is not much watsoever really, just look at the stats.
Also, Fomars have better MST, ATP, and the HP can be fixed by a GOD/HP or two. So far, im thinking FOmar...just because theyre better for what im looking for.
The defense? Meh, that really doesn't make THAT much of a difference. Nothing a good armor could fix.
And, are the animations for the FOmarls THAT much better?
Becasue it seems that FOmars are the more offensive type, comparing to the defensiveness of the Fomarls. Im looking for offense i suppose...

The difference in ATP is not worth more than one hit normally. FOmarl's extra 7 ATA does make a big difference when it is that low. 7 ATA can mean a lot of Hit or Miss on your screen. Also, you can equip FOmarls with the same Frames/Barriers as FOmars and some better ones (I think the Safety/Love items are better; not sure though) and you can equip FOmarls with the same God/HPs to make her have even more (she already has the best of the FOrces).

Also, if FOmars have the same Double Saber animation as HUmars, and FOmarls have the same as the RAmarl, then FOmarl has a much better animation there. Also, I think her mechgun attack may be slightly better (get one with Hit % and Geist http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif), if they share the same styles as other characters of their gender.

FOmarls are more defensive (except for ATA), but that matyters a lot when you are a FOrce which has naturally low: EVP (FOnewearl is an excepttion), DFP, and HP.

Boothead
Dec 23, 2003, 08:58 PM
Hmmm....so your saying that FOmarls are better, even at meleeing and such?
But, isnt the difference in ATP kinda...large?
And, do the FOmarls end up being better meleers becasue of the HP and DEF, not the ATP?
Phew, im confused -_-
Okok, so, your saying the recomended choice is the FOmarl?

Boothead
Dec 23, 2003, 09:38 PM
Wait a sec. But, doesnt the FOmar have better MST also? And doesnt he have the boost on the hard techs, because frankly, those are much more useful than the one grants boost.
Im taking into consideration about who has better magic too, you know. Not just the way someone melees...
I want someone who can do some good damage with magic, but support themselves with a weapon, im looking on the combanation of magic AND meleeing, not just the meleeing. If i was looking for that, I wouldnt of asked, and i would still be playing my HUcast. Haha, sorry if that sounded harsh...
But, which would you prefer on the combanation of techs and meleeing?

RaikoStormX
Dec 23, 2003, 11:06 PM
Boothead, go with the FOmar, it has served me well. In PSO, im fed up with female running animations. THAT PISSES ME OFF! The only reason I play no reason is the walk. NEways, FOmar's ATP is pretty good, so uworry about defense, which you use your mag to help you with. JUST LET ME TELL YOU:

FOmar!

FOmar!

FOmar!

FOmar!

Nai_Calus
Dec 24, 2003, 02:35 AM
For a Force competent with weapons -and- with semi-useful techs, go make a FOnewm.

...No, really. The ATP isn't -that- far behind a FOmarl's, and he's got better max ATA too(Granted, he does have the worst ATA -growth- in the game...). He's also got the second best MST, and bonuses to Gi- and Ra- techs. >P

But of the FOmar and FOmarl, I'd say FOmar if you plan on doing -damage- with techs. He does indeed have slightly better MST, which doesn't really mean much, but he also has his boost to the Gi-type techs. And while Gibarta is questionable, Gizonde and Gifoie are IMO the best Foie and Zonde type techs.

And I don't care if she's got 7 more ATA, you're STILL going to need high Hit % weapons on a FOmarl. Hell, my HUmar has more base ATA now than a FOmarl will ever have, and I still like to have Hit on things, otherwise much past Caves and I start seeing Misses. So. Yeah.

Jazhara
Dec 24, 2003, 06:24 AM
Beware of advice from Red Ring-using cheaters unless you also intend to cheat yourself, they have false stat boosts which skew their judgement.

If you want a legit FO that can melee outside of Forest / Caves go FOml or FOnm - the ATP on the FOmr isn't worth the lost ATA, and FOnl ATP restricts weapon usage too much.

Nai_Calus
Dec 24, 2003, 07:17 AM
On 2003-12-24 03:24, Jazhara wrote:
Beware of advice from Red Ring-using cheaters unless you also intend to cheat yourself, they have false stat boosts which skew their judgement.

If you want a legit FO that can melee outside of Forest / Caves go FOml or FOnm - the ATP on the FOmr isn't worth the lost ATA, and FOnl ATP restricts weapon usage too much.

Oh, I'm well aware of my FOmar's pitiful ATA. Even the Ring doesn't make him capable of hitting worth shit outside of Forest/Caves. I'm not saying a FOmar is ever going to be stellar, but for what the poster wants, between the FOmar and FOmarl, the FOmar is indeed the better choice. Using a duped hack on occasion doesn't really distort my views. I use it because I know -exactly- how bad things actually are, to compensate for that on the rare occasions I'm not running support whore. And my arguement for most of this thread has been not that FOmars are stellar, but that you're going to need Hit % on a FOmarl's weapons as well, so in the end you'll have an amusingly painful time of it regardless. Her extra 7 ATA does not make her a miss-free goddess happily owning Seabed. She'll have nearly as lousy a time of it as a FOmar will. Also, meleeing online is generally a bad idea until stupidly high levels. If you play offline, you can handle damn near anything at stupidly low levels. Just IMO, of course, noted from Zero being able to quite easily handle things back at L80ish in Caves with a Red Saber with no %s and a Mag with only 50 DEX, and the only other ATA boost being an Elf/Arm++. By now, I'm sure, he could safely melee CCA outside of Mericarol being a pain in the ass I'd just use techs on anyway, with the same equipment, offline. *shrug* Sure, he'd miss, probably fairly often, but so would my HUmar. And he'd have his L29 Gizonde and unarmed casting speed to whip out when Mericarol entered the picture. Last time I did CCA as a tech FO, back at L102ish, Mericarol didn't get to move. This goes for a FOnewm as well, if not moreso since he has better MST and the same boost, and the same speed. FOmarl... Well, doesn't.

Speaking of painful, as I mentioned - The FOnewm has nice max ATA, almost usable, but have you looked at his L200 base lately? Yes, it's worse than the FOmar's. He has terrible growth on that ATA and you'll be compensating for it just as much, if not more, than you would with a FOmar. (FOmar at L100 has 111, FOnewm at same level has 101, base L200, 128 FOnewm, 138 FOmar. Extra 20 levels of DEX or another God/Arm? Pick one. Let's not go into -maxing- that. I use L100, because damn near everyone reaches L100, and L200 stats are useless most days because few people take a char to L200. And yes, this is naked, but most people will wind up using about the same equipment anyway unless they deliberately compensate.)

I continue to maintain, though, pitiful ATA growth aside, that for a Force that melees and also uses techs on a regular basis, your best bet is indeed the FOnewm, but if he's out of the picture for some reason(Can't stand his looks? I understand, I hate HUnewearls for the some reason), well, the FOmar continues to be a bit better than the FOmarl for that. FOmarl is great support, but as for tech damage outside of her Grants boost, she's... Well, by -that- standard of Forces, she's the worst. By another standard entirely, she's the best, by another she's up there, by another... You get the idea.

Oh, yes, and damage as a FO using techs is painful to accomplish online. Even at L28 with a natural boost and MST nearing 1000, my FOmar still only does about 250 damage with Gifoie. In East Tower, to Mericarols, with his L29 Gizonde he manages a joyful 137ish. I'd say to bring merges or tech-boosting equipment, but that would defeat the purpose of being a -melee- FO. FOnewm will do better than a FOmar here, FOmarl will do worse unless something has the decency to be weak to Grants.

So. Anyway. FOnewm or FOmar is what you're actually looking for, IMO, with what you've said you want. Leaning towards the FOnewm. Sure, he's goofy, but once you get past the shoes, stupid hats, ruffles and oddly designed coat, he's got quite a few things going for him.

Thepandaman
Dec 24, 2003, 08:18 AM
One thing i've been wondering about is whether using the special of technical crozier or hildebear's cane counts as melee, if you are close enough to be hit by their attacks, and that's not the only function you use, or does it just count as using techniques? Because it does do a fair amount of damage....

note: my FOmar went up to lvl 100 today http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

lain2k3
Dec 24, 2003, 10:13 AM
alright, besides the gi-tech boosts, whch will not help online, because techs always do shit damage online (cept grants and megid) Fomarls have higher grants boost, and the same megid. the 2 chars are similar, but here are their base stats at level 100

FOmarl FOmar
ATP 332 380
ATA 120 111
MST 534 490
DFP 151 121
EVP 359 381
HP 603 523
TP 949 883

FOmar may have higher max stats in areas, but as far as base stats go, fomarls come out on top, except for atp and an unnoticeable difference in evp. every other stat is higher for FOmarls. this means that to reach those maxed stats, fomars will require more units, such as god/power, arm, body, and mind.

The fomarl will not need much in the way of units, leaving her with more spaces to eqip things like cure and battle units., and more defense, making it possible to eqip a merge and still be on par with FOmars in DEF.

and fomarls also look better (IMO, ian)

DarkSoldier
Dec 24, 2003, 03:06 PM
Man you should go with the FOmar trust me on that one I tried to make a melee Fomarle but it just wasn't good enough. If you want to make a melee Force go with the FOmar.

lain2k3
Dec 24, 2003, 04:55 PM
On 2003-12-24 12:06, DarkSoldier wrote:
Man you should go with the FOmar trust me on that one I tried to make a melee Fomarle but it just wasn't good enough. If you want to make a melee Force go with the FOmar.

you wouldnt mind giving him a reason or two, would you?

It seems the only fomar supporter that actually knows what he's talking about is ian, and even he seems to be drawing out the samw few reasons each post...

IoriYagami_n8
Dec 25, 2003, 02:46 AM
It depends a lot on how you play I suppose. I don't see the ATA difference between the FOmarl and FOmar to be a big gap. Any decent hit% items can solve that, and honestly FOmarl can't hit much more then a FOmar without them. My 163 FOmar can hit anything in Episode 1 decently enough with G-Assassin Sabers, but Episode 2 I tend to need at least 45% hit to get around. However the monkeys will still be hard to hit. Of course having a FOmarl isn't going to make much difference, monkeys will still be hard to hit.

The only time you might notice any real difference is at the start of the game, but by the time you get either FO to at least 120-140 they can play very much the same. I prefer the FOmar because I find his tech boost to be more useful. I rarely use grants because of the amount of TP it requires and the fact that it only hits one enemy. I constantly use Gi-Foie and Gi-Zonde however. I play heavy for support for my team as well, so I'm very fast with Shifta/Deband, the range boost is nice as I can pretty much get everyone while they are fighting. I don't have to run around getting them, or ask them to group up. The only thing I'm jealous about in the case of FOmarls is their resta range, which is nothing a merge can't fix for me.

The FOmarl is probably the easier character to start with, but as I said, once you get either to a high enough level they both play much the same. In which event I find the natural abilities of the FOmar (Gi-Tech boost) to be a bit nicer to have. I would say that in the long run your FOmar has the potential to have a bigger pay off in terms of balance between melee combat, support, and technique combat provided you have a good setup.

At lower levels I would say the FOmarl's stats tend to make it a bit easier on the player. However, I think the FOmar will be more rewarding at high levels. If you want a slightly easier time playing the game at the start, I would go with the FOmarl. If you want a slightly better pay off at the high levels, I would go with a FOmar.

One of my HU friends started playing a FOmar and had a rough time adjusting. But once he got him to about LVL 110 he began to enjoy him much more and had far less trouble.

dude3282
Dec 25, 2003, 08:23 AM
<stupid question>
Ian, You keep mentioning L29 Gizonde, is that cause there's a bug with lvl 30, or because you just don't have it?
</stupid question>

Nai_Calus
Dec 25, 2003, 04:24 PM
I don't have it. :razz:

Actually, Zero's only maxed techs are Resta, Anti and Jellen. Almost all of them are L26 or higher, only Grants and Megid are still below(And Megid could be 26 if I felt like using the disk on him). Most are 27-29.

Now shoo, people, go make FOnewms. You know you want to.

Speaking of melee. Zero wound up alone in Ruins in an Ult TTF today when people had to leave due to family. He did a beautiful job of only mostly getting his ass kicked. Much to my surprise, he did fairly well with actually hitting and actually dealing reasonable damage(We, by the way, are talking a Soul Eater +9 and a Double Saber +15 which was replaced by a duped S-Rank Twin when he levelled up and reached 800 ATP with the POW Rati)... Certainly fewer misses than I was expecting. Yes, I was using the Red Ring, but this isn't distorting anything at all - I had no /Arm units at all, so the 20 from the Ring is actually less than he would have if I were properly legitly equipping him(Two God/Arms, 30 ATA, possibly 45 if I was going to be safe and slap on a third). Unfortunately the Soul Eater wasn't quite strong enough and a nice Gran Sorceror mixed in with Del-Ds Megided me enough times when I couldn't dodge it that I got fed up and quit. :razz: (This sounds familiar... Oh yes, my HUmar.) I was quite pleased with his performance, even if 4 God/HPs isn't the best gear for meleeing... XD

So. Yeah. Don't say they can't do it, because I just did it this morning. O_X;

lain2k3
Dec 26, 2003, 09:52 PM
On 2003-12-24 23:46, IoriYagami_n8 wrote:
The only thing I'm jealous about in the case of FOmarls is their resta range, which is nothing a merge can't fix for me.

...FOmars already are at a real disadvantage in def, and using a non defensive barrier will make it quite severe. combining that with his crappy hp, and the bad resistances, you will be falling and dieing quite often. FOmarls, on the other hand, have realistically more hp and def, allowing them to use a merge and not die more than h00mars. this could easily reconcile for the gizonde/gifoie boost, depending on the area.

Nai_Calus
Dec 26, 2003, 10:12 PM
The way to deal with damage is not to take it. *nods sagely*

...No, seriously, last time I did East Tower my damage came from not running around Epsilon fast enough. LOL. If you've got good meatshields you don't need DFP or HP. XD

Of course, if you're meleeing, you shouldn't use a merge, I don't care which FO you are.

Remind me to max-stat a FOmarl's techs later, I have something I still need to test. Been lazy.

IoriYagami_n8
Dec 27, 2003, 12:10 AM
On 2003-12-26 18:52, lain2k3 wrote:
...FOmars already are at a real disadvantage in def, and using a non defensive barrier will make it quite severe. combining that with his crappy hp, and the bad resistances, you will be falling and dieing quite often. FOmarls, on the other hand, have realistically more hp and def, allowing them to use a merge and not die more than h00mars. this could easily reconcile for the gizonde/gifoie boost, depending on the area.Perhaps at the start. But I did mention that FOmars tend to be more difficult to start off with. I can use a merge all I want with my FOmar simply because my level is high enough that I can take the hits. I would use a Sacred Guard sometimes simply because it cures posion and I could do just fine with it equipped. There just isn't enough difference in the defensive power to determine weither I live or die at this point. Resistance is a bigger concern as far as shields and barriers go. Once I can get an Attribute Wall I plan to see how that fairs with me, and if it doesn't make a significant difference I will probably drop it in favor of something else.

Like I said, by the time you get high enough it isn't going to really matter anymore either way. So the real choice is weither you want to work a little harder and have a bit better ability to cast, or would you prefer to have a bit more easy game but not be quite as proficent at your attack techniques. I played a game just last night with a melee FOmarl and she was dishing a little less physical damage then me and hitting about just as often (I have 70% hit mechs). My gi-tech boost was still enough to give me a good 70+ more damage then her gi-techs. Keeping in mind that my FOmar at the time was 163, while the FOmarl was 194. Her mag was built a little more for power then mine, which is why she was able to dish out around the same amount of physical damage. You can pick up a decent 45% hit weapon or so from the shop, and that is easily enough to keep a high level FOmar hitting things in episode 1 and most of episode 2.

Webapprentice
Dec 27, 2003, 10:05 PM
As Iori said, at levels above 110, both FOmarls and FOmars appear to have only slight differences. Each is a little better in certain areas than the other. Any skilled player can make the best of both characters. With units and mags to adjust the stats, you can give your FO different abilities at any time.

I gave my FOmarl a mag that boosted ATP and ATA significantly at the cost of TP and MST. This created a FOmarl that was truly lame in spell casting but inflicted decent damage to hold her own.

Later, I gave my FOmarl a mag that boosted MST and TP, and her techniques inflicted high damage, but her attack ability was bad.

So in the long term, I think any differences between the two classes can be resolved with units and mags.

Senoji
Dec 27, 2003, 11:26 PM
If you're going for a melee force, go FOmar. He has higher ATP. But if you want better overall force, go with a FOmarl, because her stats are better for how one would normally use a force.

lain2k3
Dec 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
On 2003-12-27 20:26, Senoji wrote:
If you're going for a melee force, go FOmar. He has higher ATP. But if you want better overall force, go with a FOmarl, because her stats are better for how one would normally use a force.

except for the higher atp, your whole statement is basically the opposite of what is true.

fomarls will do a little less physical damage, and a little less tech damage, but the will also take less damage.

If you cant reliably get your hands on 70% hit mechs or duped/hacked red ring, then go with fomarl.

IoriYagami_n8
Dec 28, 2003, 09:02 PM
I fail to see why one should prefer high hit mechs with a FOmarl. I have 75 hit mechs on my FOmar and I have no trouble hitting stuff, I can even get about 50 percent of the hits out on monkeys in Episode 2, which is saying a lot as they are ridiculously hard to hit (I've seen level 100 HUs that have trouble). As stated perviously, if you are inclined to get hit a lot, then you may consider a FOmarl as you can take a bit more at the start of the game, however by the time you get to a high enough level your FOmarl won't be much better off then your FOmar in that area, just as the FOmar won't be much better off in the area of attack than the FOmarl by that time. However the FOmar's tech bonus and such allow for a decent bit more damage. Over all your FOmar is going to be the stronger attacker either way (tech or melee), it's just a matter of if you have what it takes to keep out of the way of hits while playing.

FOmar's are quite versital, you can play them as decent enough melee characters with the right stuff, and even play them as decent enough tech characters. I'm constantly amazed at how my FOmar at level 166 out performs FOmarls at level 194. About the only disadvantage I find is that my bar tends to go down further when hit. We would both get knocked down and have to cast resta, though I would lose more life; neither would die. So I don't find the DEF and HP limitations meaningful enough at all if your looking ahead for the long run.

Like I said before, it all depends on how you plan to play. An easy game with less potiental in the end, or a more challenging game with better potiental damage capability.

lain2k3
Dec 28, 2003, 11:40 PM
On 2003-12-28 18:02, IoriYagami_n8 wrote:
I fail to see why one should prefer high hit mechs with a FOmarl. I have 75 hit mechs on my FOmar and I have no trouble hitting stuff, I can even get about 50 percent of the hits out on monkeys in Episode 2, which is saying a lot as they are ridiculously hard to hit (I've seen level 100 HUs that have trouble).

I think you missed something here..., I cant really see your point. and hitting those monkeys with any hu besides hucaseal is challenging.

meh, if you have super high hit% stuff ready to give to the character, then just pick whichever one you think looks better (fomarl still wins IMO)

IoriYagami_n8
Dec 29, 2003, 06:39 AM
I misread what you said as saying if you can get your hands on 70% hit mechs. I think you can pick up some 50% hit mechs from the shop that will work just fine for the majority of enemies for a FOmar. I don't have trouble hitting tougher enemies and stuff until I drop to around 40% hit.

Boothead
Dec 31, 2003, 09:47 PM
I think im leaning onto the FOmar. Some people may say that he sucks in the beggining, but, I like challanges. Hmm...i still rquire a bit of thought though...

dylcool
Jan 1, 2004, 03:27 AM
FOcast

bionics
Jan 1, 2004, 08:11 PM
On 2004-01-01 00:27, dylcool wrote:
FOcast

Wow, most original joke ever.

How long did it take you to come up with that one?

Boothead
Jan 2, 2004, 10:48 PM
FOcast...*sighs and rolls eyes*
Sure, ill pick that one. You can unlock it with the Konami code, ive heard.

excecutor
Jan 3, 2004, 09:31 PM
Sorry this is a little off topic, but I didnt want to make a whole other thread devoted to this little inquiry. This question is also more oriented to ian, as he/she mentioned earlier that you could make a FOmar look elegant or regal. I was thinking of making one, and the only thing I could come up with that looked decent was the blond, spiky hair-due, that I dont like too much. Please enlighten me on how to make one look good.

FlameMage
Jan 3, 2004, 11:42 PM
in my opinoin the stats they start with don't matter. the bad stats they start out with can just be fixed to the way u like it with mags or miterals. it all comes down to looks. if u don't like the fact the fomar wears a robe then don't play him. i myself play a fomar and i find it challangeing.

Eihwaz
Jan 4, 2004, 03:57 AM
On 2004-01-03 18:31, excecutor wrote:
Sorry this is a little off topic, but I didnt want to make a whole other thread devoted to this little inquiry. This question is also more oriented to ian, as he/she mentioned earlier that you could make a FOmar look elegant or regal. I was thinking of making one, and the only thing I could come up with that looked decent was the blond, spiky hair-due, that I dont like too much. Please enlighten me on how to make one look good.

Sure, it's not too hard to make a cool looking FOmar without the spiky-headband look.

Face: I went with default
Hair: Defualt's not too bad, but I like the elegant long hair with cap, but my choice was the very short hair, with "ponytail" and small glasses. I went with a auburn/reddish color for his hair.
Clothes: I went with the Black/Red combo, looks cool. The white/gold robes look pretty nice too. Especially if you were to go with blonde hair.
Proportion: Tallish, not too beefy.
Something like that doesn't look half bad, really. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It's been said, I know, but basically:

Want a FOrce who's better at blasting techs and makes a pretty okay melee-r? FOmar.

Want a FOrce who's more of a support character, but is sturdier and a more accurate fighter? FOmarl.

If you have online, I'd go with FOmarl. Offline, I'd lean towards FOmar.

SpecterOpacus
Jan 4, 2004, 03:26 PM
I have a FOmar, and it's good so far to me, at least. FOmarls and FOmars...hm.... both are better than the goofy looking FOrce Newmans with the platfrom shoes and the frilly costumes. If you're going to go with FOmar, make the ROBE, not dress, go to the floor, unlike people who show the feet, which makes it look stupid. From the side, FOmars look like they have baggy pants while FOmarls dress up pretty then get smack onto the ground. I heard FOmar was a better melee-er so I made one, other than the fact of a few weapons and units that were pretty good for a FOrce. The FOmars low hp I brought up with a God/HP and I'll look for a God/Body for his so called weak defense, which doesn't matter if you get him Lvl 30 Techs. I think FOmars are more sorceror like while FOmarls are lil girls playing with fire... no offense to FOmarl users. XD