PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Bloody Japanese players copied my goddamn deck!

Shimarisu
Dec 22, 2003, 10:45 AM
Yesterday I made a very unique, killer Arkz deck, that needed 2 players to make the strategy up. We were on Mintaka all day thrashing the living daylights out of everyone. Well, I've been in 2 tourneys today where FOUR PEOPLE had made the exact same deck and I lost EVERY time due to poor dice rolls. Goddamn it, where's your strategy, don't copy my deck, make one to counter it!

And there was me thinking yesterday, "God this deck is cheap and outrageously unfair, I wonder if I should use it, they might think we are being rude westerners."

- Shimarisu
- Shimarisu

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shimarisu on 2003-12-22 08:20 ]</font>

Tevren
Dec 22, 2003, 11:01 AM
Its inevitable. I've already seen several decks copied. its to the point now, where if I build a deck, I alos build one to counter what I just made, just as a fail safe.

AppieDPC
Dec 22, 2003, 11:50 AM
LOL
Somehow I would feel honoured if they copied my deck. It means it is good. What the hell would they copy it for if it wasn't good? Sure all your work gone to waste, but you made that deck before they did, which means you should have an "edge" into building a better one.

"God this deck is cheap and outrageously unfair, I wonder if I should use it, they might think we are being rude westerners."
If you have the power, use it. You worked for it.
If they become upset because of this, they should play more, so they get better cards, better decks etc. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2003-12-22 08:56 ]</font>

Malkavian
Dec 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Well that happens in card games. You can always improve it or use ATK points more wisely than the opponent.

Zaneatron
Dec 22, 2003, 01:04 PM
yes, but if you have poor dice rolls, its hard to use the points wisely.

then again that implies your stupid, but if you dont have the points, i wont say you wont win, but it certainly makes it difficult.

still its always good to have so many atk points, you can just waste them, as it were.

Shimarisu
Dec 22, 2003, 03:35 PM
Gah, EVERYONE has my deck. I don't know what the hell happened, maybe somebody posted it to a site with strategies? I'm still going up against people with my deck, and the last battle we won, the Ark on the team didn't have it. At the end of the battle, lo and behold, he says to his teammate; "I'd better remake my deck."

Anyway, expect the parameters of a certain monster to be patched anytime soon...

- Shimarisu

badbitz
Dec 22, 2003, 05:35 PM
oh well...
that is typical in card games
make a good deck and everyone has it a week from then

Silver-X
Dec 22, 2003, 05:38 PM
Reminds me of Pokemon cards >_> <_< >_>
And yes!! i played pokemon cards !!

badbitz
Dec 22, 2003, 05:43 PM
i did too...my first tcg
i had like 100 poke points or watever they were called for tournaments

Silver-X
Dec 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
On 2003-12-22 14:43, badbitz wrote:
i did too...my first tcg
i had like 100 poke points or watever they were called for tournaments

I only played against friends .. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Rasen
Dec 22, 2003, 05:55 PM
Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Also, if you made the deck then you're probably in the best position to exploit it's weaknesses.

Guntz348
Dec 22, 2003, 06:25 PM
Reminds me of the old days in Magic The Gathering. Everyone had one of two decks, a blue/white controll deck or a discard deck. It made for some really slow boring games, just be happy they don't have counter spell cards in this game, those can really bring the pace of the game to a grinding hault.

Raziel_Kai
Dec 23, 2003, 08:57 AM
On 2003-12-22 12:35, Shimarisu wrote:
Gah, EVERYONE has my deck. I don't know what the hell happened, maybe somebody posted it to a site with strategies?

Well... what did you expect? Good players get their decks copied eventually.
It happens all the time in Magic, LOTR, Pokemon, etc... etc...
I pass some time in a Gaming supplies store at least once a week, where everybody is playing Magic, Star Wars, LOTR... any kind of card game.
And the moment a deck rises above the rest, everyone tries to copy it instead of making their own (like the guy/gal that made the power deck in the first place).

For me, it is funny to see when a couple of players play the same deck against each other... worst case scenario: multiplayer game and almost everyone decided to bring the same deck.

*shrugs*

Shimarisu
Dec 23, 2003, 09:43 AM
Raziel, are you still online? I need to speak to you 'in person'. I had to run the last time because they had us reviewing ep 3, and I had to rush off and get 20 screenshots done or lose the commission. I search for you every day but I think I let my sleep pattern slip. That goes for everyone else in the mountain of PMs I've had, I really was in bed for a whole month, then on ep 3 for a whole month. PMs are hard for me, please let's meet online.

- Shimarisu

Raziel_Kai
Dec 23, 2003, 10:04 AM
Of course Shimarisu... I'll go online for a couple of hours from now.

BTW, I just wanted to ask if you would be willing to train me in EP3 card battles when I got my US copy.

*stretches and meows*

polishedweasel
Dec 23, 2003, 11:02 AM
"It's inevitable."

Which is true, I used to have those problems when I used to play CCGs with large groups of people. I still won all the time anyway.

Dime
Dec 23, 2003, 12:28 PM
They beat you with your own deck. That is most likely because they are better than you, not because they copied you.

shinto_kuji
Dec 23, 2003, 01:43 PM
hey dime, that was again uncalled for. shut up. -wishes he was a mod so he could ban dime- but ya, thats what will happen with card games. i used to play the pokemon tcg, tourneys and everything. i was the original person who came up with the whole promo mewtwo/computer search strategy that got copied by so many freaking people. i would even see it in magazines and stuff. so ya, good players get copied=p its annoying, but it just means you can come up with some good strategies. and being the original maker, it does in fact give you the upper hand (apart from dice rolls...)

LollipopLolita
Dec 23, 2003, 02:47 PM
hey take it as flattery

geez dime, she was talking about bad dice rolls

KaFKa
Dec 23, 2003, 02:50 PM
people copy you, it happens.

back in MTG when elves werent good, i was one of the first people to make a working elf deck. now what do you see? elf decks everywhere...

just find a new strategy... i havent played ep3 so i dont know how it works. (but if i WERE playing it, i would probably have mastered its system already...)

Dime
Dec 23, 2003, 02:51 PM
That wasn't a flame, I'm just saying when you lose 4 games against your own deck maybe you're playing with people who are out of your league.

polishedweasel
Dec 23, 2003, 02:52 PM
On 2003-12-23 10:43, shinto_kuji wrote:
hey dime, that was again uncalled for. shut up. -wishes he was a mod so he could ban dime- but ya, thats what will happen with card games. i used to play the pokemon tcg, tourneys and everything. i was the original person who came up with the whole promo mewtwo/computer search strategy that got copied by so many freaking people. i would even see it in magazines and stuff. so ya, good players get copied=p its annoying, but it just means you can come up with some good strategies. and being the original maker, it does in fact give you the upper hand (apart from dice rolls...)

I don't think any one person could claim that they are the original deck maker. All you did was use 2 cards together. Big whoop. I used to play plenty of crazy ass combos, then people copy. I've been called a deck copier myself, and I always thought my ideas were original. Remember, there are alot of people out there, with so many limitations, you eventually will run into copies. ???

Shimarisu
Dec 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
Well, people are starting to stop using our deck. It's now *infamous*, seen as a cheap deck, and people aren't impressed when we DO use it. We were in two tourneys today, and in the first, both opponents were Arks. "Oh shit," I thought, here comes our deck. But no, they bring out Evil Sharks. Next round, out come 2 of our Pouilly Slimes. "Huh, the red slime deck. We're doomed."
says one guy. But the other guy reassured him, saying if it was the Pouilly deck, he could handle it.

He didn't, lost by one hit point at the end. In the next round there are two FOs. We get one Pouilly in the first round, and set it. Now, instead of attacking us as they are clearly able, they instantly go frantic to kill the slime. They fail due to the mass of defense cards on the
dreaded "Pouilly deck", and the FO in front says "Oh no, next round, I'm gonna be surrounded
by Pouilly Slimes."

So there you have it. I made this deck three days ago, and everyone copied it, now we are evil for using it. >_< It's hardly fair, that nobody realises *I* made this deck, and I'm not happy to change it because a bunch of copycats made it infamous in only 2 days. I don't know what to do now.

Incidentally there ARE defenses against this deck. But nobody seems to use them, probably because
the deck is taboo. I just don't know.

- Shimarisu

LollipopLolita
Dec 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
Dime, ep 3 isn't really like that.

Shimarisu has unleashed evil on PSO for making such a deck. Evil!!! No actually, all kidding aside, I find it a little funny. But hey you made a deck, it works well, so then people of course copies it. It's human nature. Like I said consider it as a form of flattery. Least you know how to combat it.

Even if you stop using it, other people won't, and therefore the deck will remain to get copied. But his will happen with every single good deck out there, it will always get copied.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-12-23 12:15 ]</font>

Shimarisu
Dec 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
I don't think any one person could claim that they are the original deck maker. All you did was use 2 cards together. Big whoop. I used to play plenty of crazy ass combos, then people copy. I've been called a deck copier myself, and I always thought my ideas were original. Remember, there are alot of people out there, with so many limitations, you eventually will run into copies. ???

I didn't use two cards together, we are using a carefully planned deck of thirty cards. Sixty if you count that there are two decks to this strategy. It's now been refined and with no help to the copy cats who did not show us anything new.
And yes, I think I can claim I made this deck. I've seen dribs and drabs of strategies from it before, but it wasn't until I brought the whole kaboodle onto Mintaka that the DAY after I spent all day tourneying with it, suddenly everyone has the same deck. You can hardly call that coincidence.

It also seems in theory, to be an absolutely crazy deck. It's very unique and seems very risky, you CAN get defeated by getting very poor odds. The trick here is, if you get very poor odds (extremely unlikely on probability) you die EARLY on. Bad odds later don't affect this deck. I was so sick of battles running the full half hour before I threw bum dice and lost on luck. Valuing my time as I do, because I constantly fear running out of it, I made the ultimate "do or die" deck. You throw bad dice/get a bad hand consistently early on, you are doomed. That is why there are 2 players, it makes our odds of winning much higher and we have lost 3 out of about 25 battles so far against human opponents. All to bad odds. All to people using OUR deck.

Before, I was only winning every other battle, so yes, I love this deck. The question is, do I carry on using it?

- Shimarisu

Dime
Dec 23, 2003, 03:40 PM
When I get ep3 I'm making the ultimate cheap deck.

shinto_kuji
Dec 23, 2003, 03:48 PM
actually, polishedweasel aimed that towards me >.> i didn't just use two cards together. if you get a strategy then you build a whole deck around it. =O but anyways, -waits for ep3- ack i wanna team up with a friend of mine and do some card playing >.> <.<

Kupi
Dec 23, 2003, 04:27 PM
Let me put it this way, Shimarisu... if you aren't acting outside the boundaries of the game's design, then there is no guilt in winning with the strategy you've come up with. If they know the threat of that deck is out there and they don't implement the necessary countermeasures, then it's their fault they lost.

Raziel_Kai
Dec 24, 2003, 08:15 AM
On 2003-12-23 12:14, Shimarisu wrote:

Before, I was only winning every other battle, so yes, I love this deck. The question is, do I carry on using it?

- Shimarisu

If you win enough, yeah... keep on with the evil deck. But don't stagnate on only that. Try to evolve it as you play and try variations on it.
I know from experience that even the most impressive deck can crumble if the opponents figure out your weak spots and strategy.
And you said it yourself before, you know the weaknesses in the deck... it's only a matter of time before someone catches on.

Anyhow, good luck and keep getting that rank up!