PDA

View Full Version : Video game store employees

starhealer
Dec 22, 2003, 09:59 PM
...I'm sorry, but in the past month or so I've been treated like an idiot for walking into a video game store/area and it's just pissed me the hell off. Here's two fun examples.

It started on Black Friday. I went to Toys R Us to buy my sister her own Gamecube, in the hopes we could finally play PSO together and so she doesn't have to come over to my room to play Zelda, then bitch that she doesn't have time to make the trek. So I go to buy the system and the guy behind the counter looks at me like I'm some idiot little girl and says: "You know that this system saves with a memory card."

...No, Mister Dumbass, I didn't. The real ticker was that this guy had just admitted to me that he had NEVER owned a video game system, ever, and was hoping that the PS2 would be the first.

But I brushed it aside.

Now I go to EB a couple days ago (I know, EB, but shut up) to buy PSO for my sister. But because I'm in the store, I figure I might as well browse the shelves. So I'm looking at the PS2 games when a clerk comes up and asks if I need assistance. I say no, go back to looking. He continues to pester me, asking: "So, looking for PS2 games?" I say: "No, a little of everything, thank you." It's the holiday season, I know they're looking for a sale, so I grab the game and head to the checkout counter.

I put the game on the counter and, just to clarify for myself, I ask: "This IS a new copy, not a used one, right?" The guy nods, then looks at me and says: "You know this is subscription based, right?"

...No, of course not. It's not like I can't read the frigging box or anything. Nor is it true that I've come into that store to buy PSO before, for both the DC and my Gamecube version. I even recognised the damn clerk.

Usually this wouldn't bother me, but it seems that more and more often whenever I'm looking for video games, I'm treated like an idiot. Is it because I'm a girl or because the dumbasses they hire to work these stores just think everyone is as ignorant and thick headed as they are? I've been playing video games since the Atari. I grew up on Pacman, Pitfall, The Mario Bros., Zelda, etc.

*sigh* Sorry. I just hate to be treated like I know nothing when it comes to something I've known all my life. I'll shut up now...

Bradicus
Dec 22, 2003, 10:10 PM
I am sure that the clerks have been dealing with the holiday rush of parents asking if "game A" is appropriate for little timmy, not to mention the ignorant ones that come back two days later, ranting about things they should have read on the box. The steriotype is unfair, and they dont mean to so... pushy.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

LamerPanda
Dec 22, 2003, 10:13 PM
Is it because I'm a girl or because the dumbasses they hire to work these stores just think everyone is as ignorant and thick headed as they are?

I've always thought a little from column A, a little from column B. I'm in the same situation, although I started a bit later (NES, and the first console I owned myself was an SNES). The assumption is always that I'm looking for games or consoles for other people and that I have no idea how these fancy video game systems work. X_x I especially dread having to get employees to open glass cases (Wal-Mart, anyone?).

The best thing to do seems to be to frequent one store since the employees tend to get used to you, no one at Sam Goody questions me anymore and they can probably all tell you what I like as far as anime and manga go. >_>; Sometimes even that doesn't help, though, as you mentioned when you went to EB.

I am sure that the clerks have been dealing with the holiday rush of parents asking if "game A" is appropriate for little timmy, not to mention the ignorant ones that come back two days later, ranting about things they should have read on the box. The steriotype is unfair, and they dont mean to so... pushy.

I know a lot of them are probably just frustrated with other customers and some are just trying to do their job by over-explaining, but if you've seen me in the same store x amount of times I think I have some idea of what I'm doing by now, yeah?

Arislan
Dec 22, 2003, 10:17 PM
Having worked on the flip-side of the coin, and gone into stores in teh same manner, I can see where both sides are coming from.

From a custoemr point of view, you know what you want and you're out to get just that. You don't need stupid questions and I can understand that.

Having worked in retail game sales for over 5 years though I have to tell you that those guys were actually doing you a service, however annoying it is to you. I don't know how many X-Mas or birthday presents I've saved by asking them if they know that the system NEEDS a memory card to be at all useful or that you should get an extra controller or two for Mario Kart when you're standing there with 4 children arguing over which racer is better.

Yes, I did run into the 5% of the population that knew what the hell they were doing, and I didn't need to bother with questions, but for the most part, it was necessity to ask such questions. I didn't work off commission or anything like that, so I wasn't trying to make a sale for my sake, I simply didn't want these parents or kids getting home having spent their wages or allowance on something pretty worthless to them. It did amuse me when they would say no then creep into the store a couple hours or a day later to surreptitiously grab a Memory Card or controller though.

I can also say from experience that I did tend to remember some gamers that came in all the time, but during the holiday season, you're so busy having to deal with 5000 customers a day that it doesn't matter that you've just seen a person 2 seconds ago, you'll likely ask the same question again just cause your brain is running off in 50 directions. It's embarassing, but it happens. Holiday season is an evil time for shoppers, but it's generally as bad or worse for the Retail Sales employees. Try to keep that in mind.

Kasumi19
Dec 22, 2003, 11:27 PM
I can completely identify with what you said Arislan. I have also worked retail during the Christmas season. I do not do it anymore because I realized although I am good with customers. I do not really like them very much.

anwserman
Dec 23, 2003, 12:18 AM
I would *LOVE* to work at a video game store, too bad the closest one is two hours away. Hmmm. Though typically, whenever somebody asks me a question about finding anything, I always rattle off some game I want but don't have, and ask whether or not its being released soon. Or I talk about how the Dreamcast shouldn't have died... heh, heh. Then they know to shut up because I'm obviously aware about something.

You just got to give them a break. If I was a sale clerk, and somebody was looking at games, I'd ask whether or not they have any prior experiences with games, and I'd help them accordingly.

And the whole subscription based thing with PSO? He was probably protecting his butt because he fears that somebody would sue the store because they weren't told that to play online, you have to pay a subscription fee... *sigh*.

monkeyfist
Dec 23, 2003, 12:24 AM
i wanna work at a video game store (or maybe best buy) but i can't stand explaining stuff that is posted all over the store

if there's a big black "M" on the box, it isn't appropriate for little timmy. it's that simple. parents just need to use a little bit of common sense.

*embarassing story*
when i first got my xbox, the games me and my brother picked up had "Memory Card" written on the back so we thought we needed the memory card for a console with a frellin' built in hard drive. we actually use the card quite a bit, but..

RuneLateralus
Dec 23, 2003, 12:46 AM
Working at Gamestop, we are told only to notify customers two things. A) If the game is rated Mature (especially parents and people who we are not sure if they are 17...but sometimes it is hard to tell, but better than getting fired and fined), and if a game is subscription based (just to make sure they know, and also tell them how much the fee is if they do not know). That is the only time I notify them about their products.

As for the whole "girl in the game store" stereotype...well, that never really was in me, thanks to the fact my sister and I usually fought over who would play the Atari 2600, the Atari 7800, the Intellivision, or the NES.

Raziel_Kai
Dec 23, 2003, 09:09 AM
At least you guys have clerks that KNOW about games.
Here in Costa Rica, the situation is depressing.

I went once into several of the biggest stores here to get PSO for a friend of mine. Each and every clerk in each and every store stood staring blanky back at me.

"You're kidding right? The GC doesn't go online" with a smirk on every face.

While holding back the laughter, I indeed told them I have been playing the goddamm game for about several months ONLINE, and that the BBA does in fact exist. (another funny thing: "Did Nintendo decide to make modems at all?" followed by me explaining how both modem and BBA were released quite a bit ago)

Of course, they think I'm nuts.

In fact, video game store clerks in this country are so video game-knowledge-challenged, that it stops being funny and starts getting annoying.
I can't get a decent game unless I order it online to get via mail.
I get pestered by store clerks who want me to buy !#$@ off their shelves just to make a buck from the comission. Silently, I'm just going crazy because I just want a certain game that these people doesn't even stock on because of who-knows-what reason.

And the worst part? GC games cost a fortune! $75~85 per game???? Outrageous. I'll keep myself to ordering them online.

Oh well... at least I vented out some steam.

*stretches and meows*

anwserman
Dec 23, 2003, 11:41 AM
On 2003-12-23 06:09, Raziel_Kai wrote:
At least you guys have clerks that KNOW about games.
Here in Costa Rica, the situation is depressing.

I went once into several of the biggest stores here to get PSO for a friend of mine. Each and every clerk in each and every store stood staring blanky back at me.

"You're kidding right? The GC doesn't go online" with a smirk on every face.

While holding back the laughter, I indeed told them I have been playing the goddamm game for about several months ONLINE, and that the BBA does in fact exist. (another funny thing: "Did Nintendo decide to make modems at all?" followed by me explaining how both modem and BBA were released quite a bit ago)

Of course, they think I'm nuts.

In fact, video game store clerks in this country are so video game-knowledge-challenged, that it stops being funny and starts getting annoying.
I can't get a decent game unless I order it online to get via mail.
I get pestered by store clerks who want me to buy !#$@ off their shelves just to make a buck from the comission. Silently, I'm just going crazy because I just want a certain game that these people doesn't even stock on because of who-knows-what reason.

And the worst part? GC games cost a fortune! $75~85 per game???? Outrageous. I'll keep myself to ordering them online.

Oh well... at least I vented out some steam.

*stretches and meows*

Take in the game, take in the modem adapter and shove it in their faces, and leave.

Maverynthia
Dec 23, 2003, 10:36 PM
I think if it were any other time of the season then Yes it would probably be because you are female they think you are stupid and/or buying the game/system for someone else as a present.

However as it's Giftmas, they want to cover themselves, rather than having 100 people bringing the game back saying it needed a memcard or that it was an Online Only game..

However he was a dumbass because PSO isn't subscription based, it's subscription optional....
BLEH

However someone though it was interesting that I was buying Gotcha Force...
'I like the premise of the damn game and I don't care if YOU think it sucks...now check me out dammit so I can go home..'

Barubary6
Dec 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
They always tend to think I'm BSing when I'm telling them I'm buying some game or another for the hack value. Or they start telling me that hacking is illegal. >_<

-- Barubary

Raziel_Kai
Dec 24, 2003, 07:46 AM
On 2003-12-23 21:31, Barubary6 wrote:
They always tend to think I'm BSing when I'm telling them I'm buying some game or another for the hack value. Or they start telling me that hacking is illegal. >_<

-- Barubary

Very good idea, Barusan! I'll say that next time I go buy a game here (if ever)...

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!

p]-[33r t3h ]-[4xX0rz sk1llz!!!1111one

War_Child
Dec 25, 2003, 11:00 PM
Be patient with the employees.

Being one myself, you present yourself as a rarity. 99.9% of customers I deal with on a work-daily basis are fucking pricks who know jack diddly shit, or refuse to read the boxes. It gets to the point where you set up a sort of automatic response to certain games - Grand Theft Auto, for instance, I warn parents buying/renting it for their kids about the content so I don't get harassed later. I've saved many people the frustration of subscription-based games by asking if they have the credit card, etc. required to play it. As someone mentioned earlier, I as well have saved many a present by informing people that a memory card is required for their system.

It may be easy to complain from the customer side, but until you work on the employee's side for a bit, please refrain from complaining. It is not as fun, glorified, or easy as some people think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: War_Child on 2003-12-29 22:33 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Dec 25, 2003, 11:12 PM
Hello there stranger.

shinto_kuji
Dec 26, 2003, 02:52 AM
the game store clerks here don't know anything either... i remember a little while back i was in gamestop looking around and this kid, maybe 10years old comes in. they were selling like a huge load of old nes games (im talking like 200games here) and the nes etc. well, the lady said how much they had in store credit and the kid asks if he can buy a gc with it. and... get this... the woman behind the counter actually tells the kid that it would be better for him to just get an snes because it has the SAME graphics as the gc. i'll let that sink in...

i long for clerks who actually know what they are doing...

anwserman
Dec 26, 2003, 03:11 AM
Well, hell if the kid was trading in the old NES games trying to get a GC... perhaps she would have tried to convince the kid that the SNES=GC.

Hell, I would have broke down laughing. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

shinto_kuji
Dec 26, 2003, 05:16 PM
ya but he actually got more then enough to get the GC. so i couldn't really figure it out... its not like the snes is a better sell for her... why would she tell him they are the same? meh...

i also remember this time i called ahead to reserve a game for like 15minutes until i could get there to pick it up. the lady on the phone said they didn't have that game and hung up on me. -.-; when i got there, it was sitting like front row center in the game case (this was wal-mart btw).>.<

starhealer
Dec 26, 2003, 09:32 PM
On 2003-12-25 20:00, War_Child wrote:
Be patient with the employees.

Being one myself, you present yourself as a rarity. 99.9% of customers I deal with on a work-daily basis are fucking pricks who know jack diddly shit, or refuse to read the boxes. It gets to the point where you set up a sort of automatic response to certain games - Grand Theft Auto, for instance, I have warn parents buying/renting it for their kids about the contnet so I don't get harassed later. I've saved many people the frustration of subscription-based games by asking if they have the credit card, etc. reuqired to play it. As someone mentioned earlier, I as well have saved many a present by informing people that a memory card is required for their system.

It may be easy to complain from the customer side, but until you work on the employee's side for a bit, please refrain from complaining. It is not as fun, glorified, or easy as some people think.

Mmm, it's understandable during the season. Hell, my older sister works in retail (she's a Walmart whore) and she complains all the time about the stupidity of the customers, so I know it isn't easy being a salesperson, but it still gets to me sometimes. Usually I just suck it up, because I don't want to make a fuss.

*sigh* At least my sister liked her Gamecube and PSO. It was worth the hassle. And I got to vent. Whheehee!

opaopajr
Dec 27, 2003, 01:55 AM
i believe everyone in the human race NEEDS to work retail at least 1-2 years of their life. this way they can develop important life skills such as compassion, awareness, etiquette, and patience. Because if i didn't develop those things soon after becoming a clerk i would have gone ballistic and just shot everyone to hell and back. So yeah, i'm very patient and kind with retail workers (food service too).

that said I also have a weird suspicion that video gamers have an unhealthy share of closet bigots. So many a time i've been on insides of the gamer world and heard some sexist, racist, and homophobic comments you wouldn't believe. after a while i felt that some of these guys were frat boy rejects forming their own Beta male clique. I was really hoping for a higher cut of character from the community. So in that way, i can relate to your experience Starhealer.

The tabletop gamers (RPG, miniature, CCG) were pretty tame in comparison - and highly knowledgeable to boot. some were actually amazing conversationalists and very openminded. must be something to do with the amount of reading each group does... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

But yeah, even though i think it was the giftmas rush, it wouldn't suprise me if that clerk really was a sexist patronizing gamer. I've seen too many to discount the reality.

Aunt_Betty
Dec 27, 2003, 06:09 PM
Annother thing that gets me angry is those kids who buy the games based on move,think it is the movie. It's just those games were you run and jump.

SubstanceD
Dec 28, 2003, 01:21 PM
On 2003-12-22 19:10, Bradicus wrote:

Hope you have better luck in the future.

I am going to have to agree with Bradicus here.

SubstanceD
Dec 28, 2003, 01:40 PM
On 2003-12-26 22:55, opaopajr wrote:
i believe everyone in the human race NEEDS to work retail at least 1-2 years of their life. this way they can develop important life skills such as compassion, awareness, etiquette, and patience. Because if i didn't develop those things soon after becoming a clerk i would have gone ballistic and just shot everyone to hell and back. So yeah, i'm very patient and kind with retail workers (food service too).

that said I also have a weird suspicion that video gamers have an unhealthy share of closet bigots. So many a time i've been on insides of the gamer world and heard some sexist, racist, and homophobic comments you wouldn't believe. after a while i felt that some of these guys were frat boy rejects forming their own Beta male clique. I was really hoping for a higher cut of character from the community. So in that way, i can relate to your experience Starhealer.

The tabletop gamers (RPG, miniature, CCG) were pretty tame in comparison - and highly knowledgeable to boot. some were actually amazing conversationalists and very openminded. must be something to do with the amount of reading each group does... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

But yeah, even though i think it was the giftmas rush, it wouldn't suprise me if that clerk really was a sexist patronizing gamer. I've seen too many to discount the reality.

Yeah, I've worked in retail for almost 2 years and I have to agree with you that it can be a Fucking Nightmare. It suprised me how many stupid fucking questions I was asked on a daily basis, everything from the really fucking obvious to stuff that had nothing to do with the services the store was provididng or to the stuff that we stocked.

Even though I have mixed feelings to my time in retail ( loved my job, loved what I did, loved my co workers, HATED dealing with the owner and I really HATED dealing with the customers ) I do feel privilaged to have done it since it was a tremendous learning experience especially for someoone like me who is normally very shy and not used to dealing with other people.

starhealer
Dec 28, 2003, 07:07 PM
Well, I currently work in the hospital kitchen of my hometown and in the Media Centre when I'm at school, so I do have to deal with other people. I've been working in the kitchen for...over four years, and I just started recently as an assistant at school. So I understand the customer service side. But it still bothers me, nonetheless.

I don't know that I could stomach an actual store, though. That's just...too many people, I think. However, I do think store clerks are brave, especially when they take on Black Friday, but I still can't help but find them a pain in the ass on occasion.

opaopajr
Dec 29, 2003, 05:44 AM
on an additional note...

only other clerks who've worked at toy stores can understand this - minivan mothers are by far the worst customers.

they bust out with umpteen children, the scrambling rats clamoring over the counter to snag anything related to the current fad (I lived through Pokemon - in 2 different stores! - god help me), bust out with usually no patience, are incredibly pushy, uncompromising, non-listening, expect preferential treatment that *breaks store policy*, continuously pay with the most irritating form of currency - the check, routinely threaten to get you in trouble, harass management (who will no doubt spread the "love" later), and if they don't get their way make a scene and/or leave taking unpaid for merchandise as if they deserved it for all their "suffering."

a pox on them all, may they and their aerostars flip over, burst into flames and extinguished their darkened souls and the rapacious vermin they taxi. i have absolutely no sympathy for them. in fact it has gotten so bad that when i hear a child cry at a frazzled mother at wits end I can't help but crack a grin. somewhere, somewhere out there, i'd like to believe there's a just and vengeful god cursing these women with hellspawn, never to give them a moments rest.

and for the rest of you. let this be a lesson - always use contraception!!!

KaFKa
Dec 29, 2003, 06:35 AM
On 2003-12-29 02:44, opaopajr wrote:
on an additional note...

only other clerks who've worked at toy stores can understand this - minivan mothers are by far the worst customers.

they bust out with umpteen children, the scrambling rats clamoring over the counter to snag anything related to the current fad (I lived through Pokemon - in 2 different stores! - god help me), bust out with usually no patience, are incredibly pushy, uncompromising, non-listening, expect preferential treatment that *breaks store policy*, continuously pay with the most irritating form of currency - the check, routinely threaten to get you in trouble, harass management (who will no doubt spread the "love" later), and if they don't get their way make a scene and/or leave taking unpaid for merchandise as if they deserved it for all their "suffering."

a pox on them all, may they and their aerostars flip over, burst into flames and extinguished their darkened souls and the rapacious vermin they taxi. i have absolutely no sympathy for them. in fact it has gotten so bad that when i hear a child cry at a frazzled mother at wits end I can't help but crack a grin. somewhere, somewhere out there, i'd like to believe there's a just and vengeful god cursing these women with hellspawn, never to give them a moments rest.

and for the rest of you. let this be a lesson - always use contraception!!!

i couldn't help but laugh at that...

yes, the "minivan mom/soccer mom" are the people that think you should treat them better.

back when i worked at a small anime store (half a year ago-ish), it pleased me so to tell them off for just being total b!tches, and laugh my head off when my boss would do the same thing XD

life goes on...

War_Child
Dec 30, 2003, 01:32 AM
I do believe the worst is when a young child shits their pants in the small store at which you work. True story.

polishedweasel
Dec 30, 2003, 04:36 AM
Little note:

Most video game employees are stupid asses with biased opinions. I too have my own biases.

I feel that PS2 is an inferior system. My 2 cents.

metermore
Dec 31, 2003, 09:18 PM
On 2003-12-29 22:32, War_Child wrote:
I do believe the worst is when a young child shits their pants in the small store at which you work. True story.

its not pretty in barns and noble at the check out counter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: metermore on 2004-01-02 16:54 ]</font>