PDA

View Full Version : Everyone, catch me up on PSO news!

Bervda
Dec 25, 2003, 01:23 AM
The first time I played PSO was on its release day for Sega Dreamcast. Working at a videogame store had its perks, and one of them was purchasing said game along with the system, memory card, and keyboard for a decent amount (with discount, of course).

Anyway, I played for a long while with the first version, and a short while with the second. I remember when the game had no cheaters of any variety, though that didn't last too long. Duping and things of similar nature took over, and the game lost a lot of fun (to me at least).

I would later snag myself a copy of the GameCube version of Episode 1 & 2, but never got online with it. Curiosity killed the cat as far as split screen coop went, so I had to get it.

A couple of days ago, my roommate and myself bought the X-Box version, and have worked our levels up to mid-twenties. I'm noticing similar cheating going on still, which baffles me.

Which leads me to ask, how is duping done on the X-Box? I know that memory card swapping was popular on the Dreamcast (I guess it would be possible on GCN as well). More importantly, what other things should I know / watch out for as a returning player?

BTW, thanks for reading this far.

polishedweasel
Dec 25, 2003, 01:35 AM
Summary: It sucks.

That's about it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Bervda
Dec 25, 2003, 01:52 AM
Yet we always come back for more. Figures...

Rep0
Dec 25, 2003, 02:06 AM
It's way worse on Xbox than on GC because of the HDD

anwserman
Dec 25, 2003, 02:37 AM
How, exactly is it worse? Yeah, we might lose our characters once the X-Box hard-drive fails, but the chance of that happening AND the time legnth between such failures is much more compared to... double-save on the GC.

Basically, from what I've heard from various forums and stuff, PSOX is the way to be. If you're online you have to download the patch, which means you can no longer (on that X-Box): Shop dupe, max-stat, multi-equip, so on and so forth. There is no double save (characters are spared) and although there are some hacked items, you need to have a modified X-Box to do that with... GC you just need a USB memory card. However, the one thing PSOX lacks that PSOGC has is the amount of players. PSOX has about an average of 400-500 people playing at a time (during peak hours), where it dwindles down to 150-250 during slower times (middle of the night.) PSOGC also has the ability to play on JP and EU ships, unlike PSOX. Both have their pros and cons, I guess.

Basically, regardless of whether or not you stick with PSOX or PSOGC, it comes down to this: the gaming experience relies on soley HOW YOU PLAY and nobody else. Don't take duped and hacked items. Don't play with cheaters wielding J-Swords and Al Rappies. You aren't forced to play with them at all, and you just need to find good people to play with.

PS. My gamertag is "anwserman" if you want to join me in a game. "anwserman" is spelt wrong on purpose. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2003-12-24 23:39 ]</font>

Bervda
Dec 25, 2003, 02:44 AM
This leads me to a few questions, which I'm sure most of everyone will roll their eyes at (hey, I'm getting back in the swing of things!).

How do I download the patch? Was this done automatically when I first went online?

Before the patch, how were people performing things like shop dupe, max-stat, etc?

What do the J-Swords and Al Rappies look like? Don't know what to avoid if I don't know what they are!

And specifically to anwserman, what levels are your characters? What time do you normally play? I tend to be on from late evening into the morning of the next day. Being between jobs and on holiday break from college leaves a lot of open PSO time!

I'm asking so much crap, but I really want to be savvy to things so that I don't come off as an idiot in other threads. Thanks again to anyone who has/will take the time to post here.

MFGouken
Dec 25, 2003, 04:52 AM
Tsumikuri J-Sword is like the unsealed Jswor just out of the garb, the strongest wepon in the game. The al Ray Says Mag but it is a slot item that says Al Rappy.

People did the shop dupe until the patch came and stopped that thank God, now they use the AR cause they suck ass. People still hack the box like crazy though making items that arent even it the game.

If you want to add me to your friendslist my gmertag is Gouken, I'll show you what they look like but I don't use them cause they suck and are cheap, Im usually on a lot.

Toruxxx
Dec 25, 2003, 05:01 AM
anwserman i love u! lol jk but u always stick up for the xbox its gr8 keep it going! to bad i cant play online wit ya as im from EUR but if we had psogc lol http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

alrappy mags is a unit that is called wait for it! alrappy yes u got it! it puts ur ATP up by 250 its most usable by lil noobs u know they use it coz they are like lvl 5 using a t j sword then u ask em if they are wearing em and they go no im complete legit hahahaha yea right!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Toruxxx on 2003-12-25 02:02 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Dec 25, 2003, 05:33 AM
On 2003-12-24 22:52, Bervda wrote:
Yet we always come back for more. Figures...

Oh no. I don't play, I just post here.

Bervda
Dec 25, 2003, 12:59 PM
On 2003-12-25 02:01, Toruxxx wrote:
u ask em if they are wearing em and they go no im complete legit hahahaha yea right!

Yeah, I've noticed that. It's really annoying to start playing a new game online with people your level just to see that they're a million times stronger than you b/c of cheat items. Most of the legit people I find are leveled up so high that it is no fun for them to play with a "n00b" like me (hey, I don't blame them!).

Toruxxx
Dec 25, 2003, 02:10 PM
i would play online wit ya but im in england so it sux thats the only bad thing about xbox that the servers arnt all in 1 like the gc

Amiadon
Dec 28, 2003, 10:51 AM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Amiadon on 2003-12-28 19:15 ]</font>

anwserman
Dec 29, 2003, 02:40 AM
On 2003-12-25 11:10, Toruxxx wrote:
i would play online wit ya but im in england so it sux thats the only bad thing about xbox that the servers arnt all in 1 like the gc

Yeah, Microsoft/ST is stupid due to that decision. :sigh:

PatserGOUKI
Dec 29, 2003, 08:55 AM
Catch u up on latest PSO news:

Rico is dead! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

PatserGOUKI

Bervda
Dec 31, 2003, 02:51 AM
<sarcasm> Well THANKS for ruining it for me! </sarcasm>

Appleicious
Dec 31, 2003, 04:32 AM
Basically it comes down to staying away from Apetite. Popular legit hangouts are Celes 1, 13, Dav 10, 12, and Epdote 4. Enjoy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arislan
Dec 31, 2003, 06:42 AM
Also, something else to think about...

While both versions have Challenge, XBox has voice chat, which makes this mode MUCH more playable as opposed to a keyboard/animation approach on the GC.

Double Save on GC isn't a problem anymore, at least not if you're willing to shell out a whole 40 bucks or so to get PSO 1 and 2 Plus for the GC. And with that you get the ability to listen to "Burning Rangers" while playing the "Central Dome Fire Swirl" Quest offline, without downloading anything. C'mon, it just doesn't get any better than that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So really, if you have both types, it's an either/or desicion. Both versions have their dupes and hacks, that's unavoidable and has to be expected if you wish to play online, and so should not be a factor on which to choose. It really comes down to:

A) voice chat or keyboard
B) Live + HL or just HL
C) Which controller fits in your hands better
D) Whether you're interested in Ep 3 CARD or not. Right now, it's GC Exclusive (and IMO, extremely likely to remain that way), since the HLs apply to both games