PDA

View Full Version : "Warshington"

Alielle
Dec 31, 2003, 10:19 PM
People who say "Warshington" don't belong in this state.

Especially if they've lived here for over 20 years. >_<

KodiaX987
Dec 31, 2003, 10:21 PM
I have to admit though, that's a nice one! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Just like Wal Crap and Geoshitties. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ketchup345
Dec 31, 2003, 10:24 PM
On 2003-12-31 19:21, KodiaX987 wrote:
Just like Wal Crap and Geoshitties. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AOHell.

I can't say Massachussets easily probably can't even spell it right.

starhealer
Dec 31, 2003, 11:41 PM
I work with someone who says "sarmwich" or something like that. I can't even pronounce how she says it, let alone write it.

Ugh, mispronunciations. I mean, there's room for some dialectical differences, but an 'r' and 'm' in sandwich? Good God.

Dime
Jan 1, 2004, 01:29 AM
make me a sammich.

AUTO_
Jan 1, 2004, 02:21 AM
On 2003-12-31 22:29, Dime wrote:
make me a sammich bitch.

Then there's also flag...orange...

Meh.

MasterJoel
Jan 1, 2004, 03:11 AM
my mom likes to use the term "warsh". that worked out well when my sister married a washam... she tries very hard not to say "warsham"... bwahaha! crazy mom...

Mixfortune
Jan 1, 2004, 06:18 AM
On 2003-12-31 19:19, Alielle wrote:
People who say "Warshington" don't belong in this state.

Especially if they've lived here for over 20 years. >_<

Ah... good ole Pullyaiup Warshinton...

LamerPanda
Jan 1, 2004, 11:24 AM
People in my school warsh things and we're not even in the south.

And they make weird phrases:

That's all the more I can take!
That's all the further it will go.

What's wrong with "est"? T_T

polishedweasel
Jan 1, 2004, 12:13 PM
I saw the title, and then it reminded me that I live in Tennessee.

Bradicus
Jan 1, 2004, 12:31 PM
I hate the phrase "cwaa-fee"

Mixfortune
Jan 2, 2004, 03:07 AM
Agenders....? Never fails to generate a laugh.

KaFKa
Jan 2, 2004, 03:20 AM
nevAda, then everybody else prnounces it ne-oh-duh...

i fail to see where that comes from... x.x

opaopajr
Jan 2, 2004, 03:40 AM
I'm from SF Bay Area, so I've just about heard it all - many I couldn't repeat here without raising some hackles. Let's just say I've learned to talk in a measuredly slow pace.

That said some of the American dialects are pretty funny.

why look hunny wuvs (wolves). oh look a lone wuf (wolf).

then there's the usual "ah pahked tha cah en Hahvahd yahd." (I parked the car in Harvard yard)

also the southern "ha hunnie, would'ya laake a slaace of paa?" (hi hunnie, would you like a slice of pie?). And my favorite, that pizza is so greazy (instead of greasy).

besides the Northern Californian "hella" or "hecka" and the Southern Californian "dude" there isn't that much of an accent here. Though I have noticed our "good"s end up sounding more like "guud." If I took more linguistic classes I'd have found out more about Cali accents (besides the foreigner accents of course). Maybe it's because most of the TV media people have ties to california and thus our accent has become a sort of norm. who knows?

Rotis
Jan 2, 2004, 11:46 AM
I've heard some "warsh" and "warter", but it doesn't seem common around here. (Which is good, I guess, since I live near the "other Washington.")

But apparently, we're far enough south (though not actually in the south) to get some "y'all" action. Heh heh.

Allos
Jan 2, 2004, 12:32 PM
In the brief time that I lived in Wisconsin, I would get annoyed at how some of them pronounced short A's. Instead of saying bag, they pronounced it bayg. And some of them pronounced the name of the state as Wizgonzin. I also remember the time so kid called me a "fag" but he said it as "fayg". It was hilarious.

polishedweasel
Jan 3, 2004, 06:54 AM
Edit + delete post = no more looking stupid.

Ness
Jan 3, 2004, 09:46 AM
We have this girl from up north who says pop instead of soda. I sort of feel sorry for her when she gets ridiculed for it.

LamerPanda
Jan 3, 2004, 12:45 PM
But apparently, we're far enough south (though not actually in the south) to get some "y'all" action.

Heh, that's pretty common too... so is seeing confederate flags. In the north. o_0

That's a different rant altogether, though.

Allos
Jan 3, 2004, 01:52 PM
On 2004-01-03 09:45, LamerPanda wrote:

Heh, that's pretty common too... so is seeing confederate flags.

I live in South Florida and I can tell you this.

South Florida-Normal

Central Florida-Still belives in the Confederacy

North Florida-Normal

JohanCC
Jan 4, 2004, 03:09 AM
On 2004-01-03 06:46, Ness wrote:
We have this girl from up north who says pop instead of soda. I sort of feel sorry for her when she gets ridiculed for it.

Up here, everybody says pop instead of soda, myself included. I don't know why...

We also say "gonna" (going to) and "gotta"(got to) and "not bad" is used as a compliment.

Monomate
Jan 5, 2004, 09:58 PM
my mom says 'form' instead of 'farm'...and my scoutmaster says 'warsh' instead of 'wash'

but...hey...it's all good...

Amiadon
Jan 5, 2004, 10:11 PM
Here in Australia its called Coke, or Pepsi. Soda is soda water here. If you say pop, they'll look at you strangely, then:

"Oh my gawd, what the hell is pawp?"

Ugh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Amiadon on 2004-01-05 19:12 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jan 5, 2004, 10:20 PM
Having gone from Ohio to Florida and now back to Ohio, I have seen some... interresting accents to say the least. We called any type of soda or pop as Coke. I miss that. All I had to say was, "What kinds of Coke do you have." Then boom I'd have my choices. I got into that habit and, upon returning to OH, I did the same and just got confused looks. -_-;

Anyway, accents can be quite fun but quite annoying as well. I knew someone who had never been out of Florida and had developed a very strong New York City accent. Strange to say the least. What bugs me is when I asked for iced tea in Florida... It would always come sweet, sometimes when I specified unsweetened. Gah. But that's an entirely different rant alltogether...

I also find the fact that people call shrimp 'prawns.' Who came up with those names anyway? Neither is very appetizing IMO. Strange though how things differ in meaning and wording throughout the same state, let alone country.

-Edit: forgot last paragraph-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLITZKOMMANDO on 2004-01-05 19:27 ]</font>

opaopajr
Jan 6, 2004, 06:30 AM
my favorite is accents contrasting with expectations. i remember my dad working with a middle eastern guy who had a texas accent. that was funny.

also there's my chinese friend who has his grandparents live in the south all their lives. they have a southern accent - so strong it pervades their chinese, so their chinese sounds southern.

there's the anglo i saw from china, spoke with a chinese accent. same thing with another white guy from india; had head wiggle and all.

yeah, San Francisco is a trip to another planet. with all the tourists we've seen just about it all. come visit - we need your money, cause bush hates us!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2004-01-06 03:32 ]</font>