PDA

View Full Version : GC: Keyboard

SaintDawg
Jan 4, 2004, 01:51 AM
All of those who are playing the Gamecube version of Phantasy Star Online, are you using the in-game keyboard or do you have a PS/2 Adapter for the Gamecube controller port? Or did you import the ASCII/Sammy controller-keyboard hybrid? I'm planning on becoming a member of the PSOW GCN Community as soon as I purchase PSOEp I&II and the Broadband Adapter.

JohanCC
Jan 4, 2004, 01:59 AM
Well, I am using the HFB that I built through this website: http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb/faq.htm

Other than the symbols, it works very well for me.

If you have the stuff needed to make one, you should go for it.

Myopathy
Jan 4, 2004, 02:04 AM
I have the Datel keyboard. I think it's the one that's easiest to find and cheapest. It's nothing more than a regular keyboard (like the one for your PC), and an adapter for the GC. All you really need is that adapter, and any old PC keyboard. So if you can find the adapter, that's all you really need. However, the Datel keyboard is only $20 USD, and the keyboard is kind of spiffy looking.

Lillith-Nyo
Jan 4, 2004, 05:31 AM
I got the Ascii keyboard, expensive yes, but also very worth it. Theres no lagging of typing that you can experience with the other keyboards, and this one, albeit with slightly smaller keys than normal keyboards, is officially licensed by Nintendo and Ascii for play with PSO.

And as for the expense, in reality it's not all that much if you remember that it's a keyboard/CONTROLLER! Most people forget that fact and just look at the price, I purchased mine for about $120AUD (I'll use AUD since it's my currency and easier for me, but for US pricing just stick the currencies I post in a converter (www.xe.com)), so of that $120, $50 of it is for the controller, and say, $50 of it for the keyboard, and leave the rest to shipping costs because you HAVE to import it, then it's not all that much expensive, since your getting a controller along with your keyboard also..

Anyhoo, I reccomend the Ascii if you can afford it, but if your lacking funds I say go for the Datel keyboard or one of the adapters.

SaintDawg
Jan 4, 2004, 01:54 PM
Looks as if I'll be settling with the Datel keyboard.
Thanks for the input, folks.

Mindcooler
Jan 5, 2004, 09:03 AM

I had a Datel board, but I returned it because it was a POC. Lagging and disappearing characters are not acceptable to me.

If I had access to a PIC programmer I would have a go at the DIY converter, hmm perhaps I can find one at school.

I probably will have to import a keyboard controller..

RellikTakahashi
Jan 5, 2004, 04:26 PM
I have the gc keyboard and controller all in one thingy.

SaintDawg
Jan 5, 2004, 07:05 PM
On 2004-01-05 06:03, Mindcooler wrote:

I had a Datel board, but I returned it because it was a POC. Lagging and disappearing characters are not acceptable to me.

If I had access to a PIC programmer I would have a go at the DIY converter, hmm perhaps I can find one at school.

Disappearing characters? Err?

KaFKa
Jan 5, 2004, 07:09 PM
On 2004-01-05 16:05, SaintDawg wrote:

On 2004-01-05 06:03, Mindcooler wrote:

Disappearing characters? Err?

funny, i never had that problem

Mindcooler
Jan 6, 2004, 05:33 AM
Eh, disappearing characters, as in letters.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Maverynthia
Jan 6, 2004, 03:07 PM
I think the disappearing characters is the fact you didn't really hit the key..and your looking at the keyboard while typing....
I bet people with Ascii boards have the same problem, but don't want to admit it...

Also for people who want Datel...you can go furthe and order a JP keyboard from AmazonJapan for about $14 that would work with both your PC and the adapter (set to JP standard).

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 6, 2004, 03:27 PM
On 2004-01-04 02:31, Lillith-Nyo wrote:
I got the Ascii keyboard, expensive yes, but also very worth it. Theres no lagging of typing that you can experience with the other keyboards, and this one, albeit with slightly smaller keys than normal keyboards, is officially licensed by Nintendo and Ascii for play with PSO.

And as for the expense, in reality it's not all that much if you remember that it's a keyboard/CONTROLLER! Most people forget that fact and just look at the price, I purchased mine for about $120AUD (I'll use AUD since it's my currency and easier for me, but for US pricing just stick the currencies I post in a converter (www.xe.com)), so of that $120, $50 of it is for the controller, and say, $50 of it for the keyboard, and leave the rest to shipping costs because you HAVE to import it, then it's not all that much expensive, since your getting a controller along with your keyboard also..

Anyhoo, I reccomend the Ascii if you can afford it, but if your lacking funds I say go for the Datel keyboard or one of the adapters.

But I can buy a controller for $25USD and I've seen keyboards as cheap as $3USD... Then again, I suppose I should probably compare the cost of the controller along with the Datel keyboard ($20USD)... Which would be about $58AUD. Did you pay more in shipping than you did in product?

Still, I do want the ASCII/Sammy keyboard. By far, I prefer name-brand products to generic products.

Corey
Jan 6, 2004, 03:54 PM
Buy the Datel Keyboard,use the adapter (the KB to GC)and use your PC Keyboard.Usually it's better.
But then again,it might be the Adapter that causes the lag in typing and it might just be the fact I like my PC Keyboard better than the Datel one.
But It works for me. ^_^

Mindcooler
Jan 6, 2004, 06:41 PM
I think the disappearing characters is the fact you didn't really hit the key..and your looking at the keyboard while typing....
I bet people with Ascii boards have the same problem, but don't want to admit it...

I hit the key.

The board kept resetting.

Also for people who want Datel...you can go furthe and order a JP keyboard from AmazonJapan for about $14 that would work with both your PC and the adapter (set to JP standard).

I tested my PC keyboard in the converter, the same problems. But a JP kb would be cool, perhaps I will order one anyway http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But I can buy a controller for $25USD and I've seen keyboards as cheap as $3USD... Then again, I suppose I should probably compare the cost of the controller along with the Datel keyboard ($20USD)... Which would be about $58AUD. Did you pay more in shipping than you did in product?

Yes, it's expensive iven if you wanted another controller + keyboard. Does it even have rumble?

Buy the Datel Keyboard,use the adapter (the KB to GC)and use your PC Keyboard.Usually it's better.
But then again,it might be the Adapter that causes the lag in typing and it might just be the fact I like my PC Keyboard better than the Datel one.
But It works for me. ^_^

Is it a fact that the Datel keyboard DOES indeed lag, or did I get a bad one? I have heard a lot of negative feedback for it..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mindcooler on 2004-01-06 15:43 ]</font>

KaFKa
Jan 6, 2004, 06:45 PM
On 2004-01-06 02:33, Mindcooler wrote:
Eh, disappearing characters, as in letters.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

im not a fucking idiot. i know what you meant by "characters"

and no, never EVER had that problem with my datel...

SaintDawg
Jan 6, 2004, 06:53 PM
Take it easy, Kafka. He was referring to my post about the disappearing characters.

navci
Jan 6, 2004, 06:55 PM
I have the ASCII keyboard. Expensive? Yes. Looks funny? Yes? Takes time to get used to tiny keys? Yes. Do I regret buying it? No.

Just so much more convinient, keys feels super. Too bad it doesn't rumble. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif But funny if it does, however!

Coarse
Jan 8, 2004, 02:11 PM
is there a controller port to USB adapter? so you can use any USB keyboard?

Coarse
Jan 8, 2004, 05:40 PM
On 2004-01-08 11:11, Coarse wrote:
is there a controller port to USB adapter? so you can use any USB keyboard?

anyone out there? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Corey
Jan 8, 2004, 08:38 PM
I think there is if you read my post.Im not sure if you can use a USB or not really...never tried.

The DATEL KB does have a lag in typing because if you dont want lag you need to know how to type properly AND you'll need to hit the keys while typing rather hard.

Datel KB is teh su><ors in my opinion.

ASCII is the better.In my opinion again...

Castershell
Jan 9, 2004, 10:32 PM
Ya know....I've found places that sell the ASCII keyboard, but I have yet to find the Sammy one anywhere!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Castershell on 2004-01-09 19:33 ]</font>