PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters/Anti-cheaters: Can't we all just get along?

Chaos_Phoenix
Jan 8, 2004, 02:42 PM
Sure, the DC PSO was a disaster once every possible hack was introduced to it's online persona. This made everyone quite testy, and sometimes even violent. That is why PSO for the DC somewhat went down the drain. Now, with the X-Box release, there are already downloadable hacks for it, but Microsoft is developing a auto-patch that will ban any hackers if they try and log on. Everybody hoped that the GameCube would be hack free, but that is nothing but a pipe dream. Day and night, there are dozens of people who devote their time to finding hacks, cracks, and codes to mess with the system. This, in turn, is pissing off SEGA because they specifically said that they didn't want any codes. It is also upsetting all you anti-cheaters out there who fear that the GC will turn into a DC copycat. Well, this will never happen thanx to certain precautions the PSO Programmers made. Most codes will also trip a prelim warning when trying to log on, which will prevent the non-legit character from logging. People whine that the LVL 200 code will make the game lose intrest, but I find that hard to believe. It will make you stronger, faster, and make the game easier to conqure. It would be ideal for searching out rares, am I right? People need to stop finding the negative, and start pointing towards the positive. We all have our own beliefs, but nobody really cares what will happen. As long as PSO stays the way it is, I really have no complaint, and neither should you.

Hikara
Jan 8, 2004, 02:44 PM
Hacking is crap. I did it once at your house, yes, Phoenix, but I'm finding it isn't the greatest thing. You loose all the drama in it.

Hacking should be banned, and it was for Gamecube, until someone did it ILLEGALLY! (I'm looking at you, Phoenix.)

Sord
Jan 8, 2004, 03:03 PM
hacking for me is last resort, if i lose all intrest in a game, and i know it's going to stay that way, i hack. Though that's never happened with PSO, just pc games like Morrowind (RIPOFF!! Buy PSO instead!!!)

KodiaX987
Jan 8, 2004, 10:20 PM
Tell you what; you'd have more success asking Bush and bin Laden to make love... :

DOG21313
Jan 8, 2004, 10:26 PM
On 2004-01-08 19:20, KodiaX987 wrote:
Tell you what; you'd have more success asking Bush and bin Laden to make love... :

agreed. We'll never get along. Theres no fixing it, i hang with a haxor/duper, and i get so much exp stolen that i come out of the game with 10 less to level. Wow, thats progress. As you can see by now, im a legit, and i usually hide in locked games and occasionally come out because I forget about how stupid the outside world is. Once i do, im usually back in my locked games in about 30 mins... Theres no fixing it, it will always be like this.

Bradicus
Jan 8, 2004, 10:30 PM
The only solution is martial law.

Kasumi19
Jan 9, 2004, 03:42 AM
I am so tired of seeing the cheaters vs non cheaters and the dupes vs legit people. I know I do not care what other people do on the game unless they somehow gain the ability to corrupt my character data and I have not observed that happening so far.

I play with who I want to play with. If someone makes me mad. I will not play with them again and I do not care if they are legit, hacker, duper, or any other type of player. I have known nice people in all these categories as well as really horrible people.

I honestly do not believe there is a way to stop the cheating unless a version of PSO is comes out where character data is stored on the server and I just do not see that happening. Even if Sega does implement something to stop the cheating. The really hard core cheaters will just find a way around it anyways.

Superguppie
Jan 9, 2004, 04:43 AM
Hmmm, it's been a while since the last thread with that title. So, you probably didn't find it because it's too old...
Basicaly I am asked to get along with people that have screwed up an important part of the game (the trade system) made ST feel it was necessary to install an extra corruption risk (double save) and give ST reason not to release items (that hasn't happened yet on GC/XBox, but considering they did on DC, they are capable of doing it. I pray they won't)
On top of that I get called names and even stalked by idiots that think my stuff is duped/hacked (which it isn't!) and by people that think I'm an idiot for being legit.
Sure it's all not as bad as it was on DC, but still I hate it. So will I get along with cheaters? Not really.

OK, that was the extreme rant-like stuff about that. Some of my friends are cheaters, although I don't know any actual hackers. Most of them are reasonable people that have the respect and decency to not use the worst of it when I'm around, and can have a normal conversation about it. My oppinion on the topic has hardened a little over the past few months, and I have become less tolerant towards cheating. As long as I am respected with my oppinion, and the effects of cheating don't hurt me I will accept and respect it. But when I get disrespect, I will definitely NOT get along with that. Sadly blatant disrespect is what I get from quite a few cheaters...

Amiadon
Jan 9, 2004, 05:30 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^ agreed.

We can get along! It's not what they do when we're not there, Its what they do when we're there. I mean, sure I dislike cheaters, but not becuase they cheat: becuase they kill everything before i can do anything (Of course this is not reffering to all cheaters, just the majority). If they cheat offline, or online with their own kind, I have no objections.

Hating people becuase they cheat is wrong; hating people becuase they do those things in your presence when you specifically asked them not to is ok (although hate is a very strong word http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif).

All in all:
Do what you want. Just don't do it with me.

Nai_Calus
Jan 9, 2004, 01:45 PM
They can actually coexist fairly well, it's just that the extremists are somewhat... Extreme.

On one hand, you have the asshole dupe-users/dupers. These are the people who run around Hard with a L132 character weilding a TJ-sword or L30 techs on Normal or somesuch idiodicy. They can't type, even if they have a keyboard. They're unmitigated asshats. Even other cheaters don't like them. The scum of the earth.

On the other hand, you have the asshole legits. They give you the third degree about each and every weapon you pull out. They want to know what ID, what monster, what %s, etc. God help you if they don't like your answer. They spend the entire game railing against cheaters, bitching about everything. They can probably type, but nothing that comes out of their mouth is worth reading. It's all negative, hateful garbage that completely ruins the mood and any sense of team dynamic. They're unmitigated asshats. Even the other legits don't like them. The scum of the earth.

And then you have the people in between. The legits who don't take PSO as a religion. The cheaters who don't hog exp and are perfectly willing to put the dupes away if you request it. The nice, friendly people on both sides who know how to play and will make you glad you played with them, regardless of which side they're on.

I fall into the nice cheater category. If I know it's a legit game, I will very probably not cheat at all, and if I do, it's for the sake of trying to make some sort of contribution to the team. If I am cheating in a legit game, it is not in a way which will ruin the game. But I'm perfectly willing to put away the dupes I may or may not even be using at all, and play straight, and I have in fact played with people who, as far as I know, have no idea whatsoever that I'm not 100% legit. Even if I do cheat in a legit game, it's around friends I know won't bite my head off or mind too horribly much. Sure, I'll get out that duped 55% Holy Ray for Tower if we've got our other usual FOmar, who has better support techs than me, otherwise I'm just dead weight. What good is a support Force when the other Force has better S/D/J/Z? Sure, I'll bring out that duped Spread Needle for use on my L84 RAmarl. She can tag things quickly before they die with it, and help the team a bit by paralyzing things with it. God knows she isn't going to be doing any actual -damage- with it, not a low-level char with a L159 Rati weilding a weapon that hasn't even been % modded.(0/30/0/30) This does not ruin your game. There is no way in hell you can steal exp that way unless people are sleeping or something and the 4 points of damage you do eventually adds up. X_x;

But yes, I don't cheat in legit games. I might cheat around legit friends, but only if they don't mind. If they do, I won't. If I do it's in such a way as to not ruin the game. *shrug*

Unfortunately people like me are few and far between.

navci
Jan 9, 2004, 03:57 PM
What Ian said.
And I think most of the people that are being hated are neither legit or cheater, they are called assholes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

However you play, if you're a jerky person with nothing constructive to say to people, mean to them, and yelling all the time. No one will get along with you, whether you are so legit you won't pick anything up online, or you are a crazy hacker with everything hacked to bits. It's called social skills. I get along with most just fine, except when they start being rude, then I just leave and go hang with people who are not.

... I am so hungry.

Liquid_Bacon
Jan 9, 2004, 05:29 PM
In the world everyone here shares (the PSO world), asking legits to like cheaters is like asking rape victims to like the person who raped them. It's like asking the guy whose store was robbed to like the criminal who did the B&E. It's like asking... well, you get the point.

Simply put, the cheaters can and should not expect any respect from the legit players. Sure, they think (or keep telling themselves) that they are doing nothing wrong, but so do most criminals. Cheaters in PSO, like criminals in real life, are outcasts. They may feel that what they do is okay, but the rest of the world sees them for what they really are. So, just like real life criminals and normal people, cheaters will always be at odds with the legit players.

Chaos_Phoenix
Jan 10, 2004, 12:56 AM
But, as Ian said, there are several degrees of Cheater/Legits, which can't place everyone in your stereotype, Bacon. As an on and off 'friendly cheater', I can honestly say that I have done nothing wrong, as can many other cheaters. As long as you do nothing to corrupt the system, you really haven't done anything horrible, as you make it seem. You merely assume the worst because that's all you know. You should really try to be more optimistic, but I enjoy your feedback.

Amiadon
Jan 10, 2004, 04:31 AM
On 2004-01-09 10:45, Ian-KunX wrote:

On the other hand, you have the asshole other legits. They give you the third degree about each and every weapon you pull out. They want to know what ID, what monster, what %s, etc. God help you if they don't like your answer. They spend the entire game railing against cheaters, bitching about everything. They can probably type, but nothing that comes out of their mouth is worth reading. It's all negative, hateful garbage that completely ruins the mood and any sense of team dynamic. They're unmitigated asshats.

I used to be like that, except for the unmitigated asshat bit. And then I learnt the error of my ways... ah, the memories. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DOG21313
Jan 10, 2004, 03:36 PM
What Ian said about the legits made me laugh. Its COMPLETLY true! Im legit, but i dont yell at people who dupe, sometimes if theyre stealing too much exp ill either A) Ask them to get different weps or B) Leave the game But i dont even have to worry about that much, im usually in locked or full games with legits...

I know some dupers who are friends of mine, people on this board... Before i met them, i used to be one of those extremist legit jerks who wouldnt tolerate dupes, but once i met them, i started to tolarate it a bit more... The entire groups will never get along, but certain ones in each group will play with eachother and become friends

anwserman
Jan 10, 2004, 03:59 PM
The one time I was actually thankful for playing with cheaters was when I got my HUnewearl up to ultimate mode, online. Level 80. It bit.

But the people I get pissed the most about are the people who go into a hard mode game, use a TJ sword, do over 1000 damage and complain that how we're not a team player, that we're not doing our fair share of damage. Or the forces that use Panzer tails and nuke the whole room. At level 20. Hard mode. Killing everything instantly.

How can the game be fun? Hell, its monotonous for me, and I'm legit - often struggling - and how the heck can it be fun for somebody who got duped items, killing everything in a second over and over without having his/her life at stake? Sad.

Ness
Jan 10, 2004, 04:09 PM
I agree. I think everyone should just play however they want and leave everyone else to do the same.

darthsaber9x9
Jan 10, 2004, 04:39 PM
On 2004-01-09 21:56, Chaos_Phoenix wrote:
But, as Ian said, there are several degrees of Cheater/Legits, which can't place everyone in your stereotype, Bacon. As an on and off 'friendly cheater', I can honestly say that I have done nothing wrong, as can many other cheaters. As long as you do nothing to corrupt the system, you really haven't done anything horrible, as you make it seem. You merely assume the worst because that's all you know. You should really try to be more optimistic, but I enjoy your feedback.

the instant you trade a dupe(or keep the duped copy for yourself), you have done wrong.you alter the economy so to speak.you may the decide to trade that iitem again. if you do so, then there are 2 copies of the item, instantly devaluating the item(even just by a small amount. a dupe here or there soon adds up) so even the smallest actions have an effect?

will you stil say you have done no wrong?

Black000Moon
Jan 10, 2004, 06:38 PM
why even cheat or dupe though? It just makes the game crap....

Chaos_Phoenix
Jan 10, 2004, 08:15 PM
the instant you trade a dupe(or keep the duped copy for yourself), you have done wrong.you alter the economy so to speak.you may the decide to trade that iitem again. if you do so, then there are 2 copies of the item, instantly devaluating the item(even just by a small amount. a dupe here or there soon adds up) so even the smallest actions have an effect?

This is exactly why I don't dupe. The only thing I've ever done is to alter one character's LVL for Ultimate, but that's it. I'd never go online with a hacked character.