PDA

View Full Version : Character Sizes

Outrider
Jan 11, 2004, 12:30 PM
Just a question.

What's with everyone having these tiny, tiny characters? Nothing wrong with it, I just find it a little odd. I'll join a game and see these tiny hunters running all around. Usually it'll be things like FOnewearls or RAmarls, but yesterday I saw what must've been the smallest possible HUcaseal. I've also seen the tiny little HUmars.

Anyone wanna clear this up for me?

Dhylec
Jan 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
some ppl want their chars to be small, prolly for cuteness or some personal interest
sizes, in general, have little differences when taking damage or weilding weapons
but there are cases when being little helps, such as the gryphon's wing glide attack http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Outrider
Jan 11, 2004, 01:02 PM
Oh, I know that it's purely cosmetic. I just don't understand why so many people on PSO are attracted to tiny characters.

I suppose it's a fad that I just don't get.

Vielka
Jan 11, 2004, 01:03 PM
LOL. i have a FOnewearl thats all dressed in white with gold trim. silver/purplish hair and is the smallest size possible. Looks funny carrying the inferno bazooka around http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Butoden
Jan 11, 2004, 01:18 PM
I can immagine http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I always try to get the tallest possible and not too thin or fat, just your regular Hunter I suppose... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Flashpk
Jan 11, 2004, 01:18 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I have several small characters, they're so cute http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif OMG, thats sounds so gay.
- small red fat humar named Hairy Potter with red Nidra
- small pink hucaseal named pinkette (raising pink sato)
- small red/orange fonewearl named Lady Isis (still not decided with mag will suit her)

Shadow777
Jan 11, 2004, 01:51 PM
this is just me but I like TALL, you can see ur char better when it's surrounded by monsters and just is over all easier to spot

that was completely strange and random, but that's just me I guess

Blitzkommando
Jan 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
People do it for either the 'cuteness' factor or to make a character look very out of proportion. Eg. mini HUnewearl with Red Sword. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif It just looks so funny. At least that's why I've done it. That and to see one with a Standstill Shield. XD

Aziangangster
Jan 11, 2004, 02:13 PM
some ppl do it 4 battle mode because they will be able to c u and u wont be ablt to c them.

A2K
Jan 11, 2004, 02:22 PM
I'd hardly call it a fad... it's been going on since the Dreamcast days. Meh, the simplest explanation I can think of is that some people like to go for extremes. Max height, minimum height, etc.

navci
Jan 11, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well. Let me ask a question, why not?

I have had all my characters at full height before to compensate for me being small in real life. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif But then it becomes kinda boring. So I made a RAmarl medium height, and a super super tiny RAcaseal. It's really fun to see her holding up a shot, or a Varista looking like a rifle. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Though, the tiny RAcast/HUcast isn't at all tiny, it's still fun to see.

Just bring in variety, ya know?

RadHaz
Jan 11, 2004, 05:09 PM
When I made my first character, I had no reference, really. I just wanted her to be a bit short. So, I eventually get online a month or so later, and find that she's among the shortest HUnews. O well.
It is funny watching her run around with chainsawd or L&K mechs. (^-^)

Helco
Jan 11, 2004, 06:03 PM
i made a small character cuz i htink its funny having a 3 inch tall HUmar whoopin the snot out of those big tall ones in other words i made it bcuz of that saying dynamite comes in small packages

ladyjaderiver
Jan 11, 2004, 06:38 PM
I keep all of mine default size because I don't feel like changing their height and then trying to get the rest of their proportions right. Only my HUmar isn't default size - he's a bit taller.

And my FOne is still tiny. I got made fun of the first time I went online because she's little. And she's the frickin' default size!

AUTO_
Jan 11, 2004, 06:48 PM
For some reason I can deal with uber tiny bots, but seeing really small "fleshies" seems to annoy me.

I guess all of the Ragol hunters are little kids.

Black000Moon
Jan 11, 2004, 06:50 PM
what would a fat character be useful for anyways?

Jarek
Jan 11, 2004, 07:22 PM
yeah when i see 'little people' i tend to think that they're kids, even though probably none of them really are. i just picked a kinda tall style for my characters because i like being tall. dunno know why, just personal taste.

lain2k3
Jan 11, 2004, 07:37 PM
I like short characters because they just seem so much more aesthetically pleasing for no reason at all.

they're much easier on the eyes.

the only large char. I would make is a "DK mode" racast.

Nai_Calus
Jan 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
I can't stand having short characters. Usually they become either disproportionate, or look like a child. Have you actually looked at a minimum height FOmar's -face-? Ugh.

I... Have a worse assumption about people who have all tiny characters. Not that they're children, but that they're pedophiles. Especially if it's a tiny female character with rediculously large breasts. It disgusts me.

Most of the female characters I leave at or slightly above default. The faces get really ugly at max height, IMO, although at min they also look bad.

One class that looks bad at max height is the HUmar. The default is so short that when you take it up to max or near it, the knees especially become extremely thin and it looks completely wrong.

Most classes, though, I would rather see at max or near it than min or near it. I just really dislike tiny characters.

SnoopyEgotist
Jan 11, 2004, 07:55 PM
I don't see what people have against short characters... I don't have any, but I used too...

navci
Jan 11, 2004, 07:58 PM
On 2004-01-11 15:50, Black000Moon wrote:
what would a fat character be useful for anyways?

In adding variety. Hehe.

That being said, I do dislike generally any character with huge boobs, but it IS more disturbing when it's on a chibi child-like character. My chibi RAcaseal resembles a child, that is because I want her to be somewhat creepy. Child-like, yet is a killer machine. Hehe. Their faces tho, when tiny are in such a way that you do need lots of tweaking for them to look right. I remade my FOnewm on Ep 3 from max height to being chibi, he looks just fine. But it took a while to make him look fine. Hehe

Kadou
Jan 11, 2004, 08:12 PM
Shut up you. My midgit (SP?) FOmar is t3h |<001.
Kadou isn't really that short though; maybe about 1/3 up from the bottom of the little square thing in character creation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kadou on 2004-01-11 17:14 ]</font>

BullKathos
Jan 11, 2004, 09:42 PM
I like to have tiny chars because they look so funny wielding giant swords and everything. Also it looks kool to see a baby beat the hell out of an ult mode monster.

Spider
Jan 11, 2004, 10:42 PM
I wish my RAcast was a bit smaller at times, guilty light would be much better on a short character.

Outrider
Jan 11, 2004, 11:04 PM
Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! (Wait, I'm not the messenger in this case.)

I was only curious.

My own characters are taller than average. My HUmar is slightly taller and my FOmar is, uh... I think he's taller than average. I dunno. As I said in the other topic, I don't really play with him too often.

AzureBlaze
Jan 12, 2004, 12:00 AM
The first real "Fad" I remember of tiny chars was about when Battle got real popular on Miranda back on the DC.

A whole ton of people made these super tiny HUmars, all with black ponytails and went out fighting. Their theory was stated by someone else here: 'ya can't see 'em that well'.
However, while it is true that a big char is slightly easier to spot, I still maintain they have a better reach. Being a large HUcast myself, this class does have disproportionatly long arms, especially if we are wide in the shoulders. One thing to watch though, is don't max height a HUcast, then pick the fin head and try to Rule6...you're visible over the short wall at all times.

Both my RAmar and HUcast are nearly maxed for wide/high. (not fat at all) I guess I just picked it because it looks cool, and it fits in with the chars. personalities.

However, most people don't really put all that much thought into the char they build, such as
-personality,
-looking different from everyone else,
-picking a unique name (as shown by all the 'name rant' threads we get here)
-and raising a unique mag
-Finding a style with a unique weapon

Instead we get a billion Satos on a jillion SephirothTrunksSSJ all dressed in black while equipping another TJ sword.

Or, as the most common excuse goes for people which are male, but prefer the gameplay of a female char:
"I like to stare at girls butts, not mens (implies asker of question is gay)so I made this char as pretty as I could get her" Which means she has immense boobs and is wearing the sluttiest outfit they had the patience to find in the dressing room.

As for the mini-females who are child size in proportion (head to body ratio) but really...not child like in any other way they look. I don't know why ST made up that ability. It's ok to have/be a tiny woman but...there should have been a child/adult option or something to help you form the char somewhat realistically without getting the odd creepyness you refer to. But how much thought did ANY side, be it ST or the maker of the offending char really put into what they were doing?

VioletSkye
Jan 12, 2004, 12:30 AM
On 2004-01-11 16:52, Ian-KunX wrote:
I can't stand having short characters. Usually they become either disproportionate, or look like a child. Have you actually looked at a minimum height FOmar's -face-? Ugh.

I... Have a worse assumption about people who have all tiny characters. Not that they're children, but that they're pedophiles. Especially if it's a tiny female character with rediculously large breasts. It disgusts me.

Most of the female characters I leave at or slightly above default. The faces get really ugly at max height, IMO, although at min they also look bad.

One class that looks bad at max height is the HUmar. The default is so short that when you take it up to max or near it, the knees especially become extremely thin and it looks completely wrong.

Most classes, though, I would rather see at max or near it than min or near it. I just really dislike tiny characters.

LOL. Sorry Ian, I just thought that was a funny thing to say. (Although make no mistake, I have no tolerance or compassion for pedophiles in any way.) i just thought it was funny that you draw that comparison. I have mostly tiny female chars and I am most certainly NOT a pedophile. I think its great watching some tiny char wielding these huge weapons, it has kind of a surreal quality to it. I will say however on my Hucast, Fomar and Racaseal, I prefer them to be normal size. In fact I max out the height on my Hucast.

KaFKa
Jan 12, 2004, 01:55 AM
yes, Hucasts must be tall, or else they just arent menacing-looking....

the only short character i have is my new C-mode HUcaseal. i made her like that because the collision detection shrinks with the character. the smaller you are, the less likely you are to be hit. like Dylec said, sometimes short is a good thing.

Deus-Irae
Jan 12, 2004, 04:20 AM
its all about variation. thee are all shapes and sizes out there.

i have max height char, min height chars, and inbetweeners.

i find it silly that someone would have a problem with what size someone whants their character to be.

and Ian has issues.

kingmurp
Jan 12, 2004, 06:01 AM
It's funny, because with a chibi Hunney, when the rika claw is equipped, it goes through the ground.

Butoden
Jan 12, 2004, 06:11 AM
On 2004-01-12 03:01, kingmurp wrote:
It's funny, because with a chibi Hunney, when the rika claw is equipped, it goes through the ground.

When you equip a Partisan type weapon or a sword, and you stand close enough to a wall, it goes right trough it as well... It can also go right trough another character or doors...

-Luke-
Jan 12, 2004, 12:14 PM
HUcasts have to be max height. Its well, fitting I suppose. And about the tiny waist big boobs thing, when I tried making a RAmarl I thought that it was kinda sad that when you make the width/girth of a female, their breasts grow exproportionally before they get fat at the waist. You don't adjust their girth, but cup size!
Luke

astuarlen
Jan 12, 2004, 01:54 PM
I've pretty much always made max-height characters who were as skinny as possible. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Someone once told me they had mistaken my HUnewearl for a skinny HUmar. X)
I guess I find taller characters better looking in general. I made my first short character a few days ago. I was fiddling around with the "auto" option in the character creation menu, and this cute, 'lil FOmar with green/purple costume and green hair popped up. I wasn't really intending to make a character at all, but he was so adorible that I had to. ^o^

heyf00L
Jan 12, 2004, 02:48 PM
I have a lot of small characters, but not because I like my characters small. Each has a reason.
My first character (after my first and only corruption) was a RAcast. I played with proportion a lot and decided I didn't want a huge machine. I made him look as human as possible. Well to do that I made him as small as possible, but actually for a RAcast that's about normal HUmar height.
Then I made a FOnewm who I made really tall.
I also made a HUcast who was really big, but I thought that looked good on him because HUcasts don't have giant square blocks on them like RAcasts.
Next up was my HUney. I made her almost as small as possible because I thought it'd look funny and I wasn't "comfortable" with a huge breasted character. I mean, that'd make me feel dirty I guess. No risk of sexual attraction when your character looks to be about 9 (well at least in my case). I also gave her purple spikey hair and the eye patch because you never see those types. I just want to be a little different.
I also have a FOmar who is average height and a little fat.
Oh yeah and I have a RAmar who is as short and fat as you can be. He's funny.
Recently I made a HUcaseal. HUcaseals I think can get the smallest. Mine is about the same as my HUney. I played with the proportion to try to get rid of those boots and shoulder pads as best I could and it turns out that I was small. They're still quite noticable tho >.<

Black000Moon
Jan 12, 2004, 02:59 PM
On 2004-01-12 09:14, L_evans wrote:
HUcasts have to be max height. Its well, fitting I suppose. And about the tiny waist big boobs thing, when I tried making a RAmarl I thought that it was kinda sad that when you make the width/girth of a female, their breasts grow exproportionally before they get fat at the waist. You don't adjust their girth, but cup size!
Luke

w00t that info will help thx luke.

On 2004-01-12 11:48, heyf00L wrote:
I made her almost as small as possible because I thought it'd look funny and I wasn't "comfortable" with a huge breasted character. I mean, that'd make me feel dirty I guess.

nah not dirty,normal.(well by me but then again....)

navci
Jan 12, 2004, 03:19 PM
Or, as the most common excuse goes for people which are male, but prefer the gameplay of a female char:
"I like to stare at girls butts, not mens (implies asker of question is gay)so I made this char as pretty as I could get her" Which means she has immense boobs and is wearing the sluttiest outfit they had the patience to find in the dressing room.

I laughed really hard on this one. *falls over*
Personally, the only female butt I find worth staring at is the HUcaseals. Well, in my case, also the HUcast. They so seksi. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

One of these days I would like to make a tiny HUcast. He could be a HUcast in training. Hehe. And it'd just be fun because actually, most Hucasts I have seen look exactly the same. That's why I am trying to get a Rainbow Baton with mine. Hehe.

Outrider
Jan 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Jeez, and now I'm some anti-small character dictator or something. At least read my posts before making me some character nazi.

Actually, I think I've made that same tiny RAcast before to try and make him as human as possible. I think that's a cool looking design personally.

I also helped my brother design his FOcast character, and that HUcast ended up being small, from what I remember. Or maybe it was a RAcast. Or maybe I'm crazy!

Heh, so I guess I HAVE made some small characters. I didn't keep him though. I'm so lazy I have trouble playing with more than one character as is.

KingChaos
Jan 12, 2004, 06:21 PM
for humars the j sword/partisians look funny when then they are small

Zarana
Jan 12, 2004, 06:37 PM
All of my characters are the default height, unless the default height just looks stupid. I see no appeal in playing as a midget.

JohanCC
Jan 12, 2004, 07:16 PM
All my chars are between the extremes, but never the default. I have some tall, and some short. I like to have varity, while having realism. No chibis with giant breasts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

My sister likes to play around with the create-a-char, and often makes female chars as short as they come (in real life she is "vertically challenged").

LaserOption
Jan 15, 2004, 09:29 PM
Okay... has anyone who is bashing the little characters watched any Anime? IMO, PSO is has very anime-inspired character designs. If you've seen more than a handful of anime, a young or small character in combat isn't THAT strange. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Besides, my little FOmarl is really cute. That's why I have a couple of small characters. They're just cute. ^,^

L/O

Outrider
Jan 16, 2004, 02:28 AM
On 2004-01-15 18:29, LaserOption wrote:
Okay... has anyone who is bashing the little characters watched any Anime? IMO, PSO is has very anime-inspired character designs. If you've seen more than a handful of anime, a young or small character in combat isn't THAT strange. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Besides, my little FOmarl is really cute. That's why I have a couple of small characters. They're just cute. ^,^

L/O

It's funny how people instantly turn negative. Nobody's bashing small characters. Read the thread first.

Spider
Jan 16, 2004, 05:16 AM
On 2004-01-12 13:21, Outrider wrote:
I also helped my brother design his FOcast character, and that HUcast ended up being small, from what I remember. Or maybe it was a RAcast. Or maybe I'm crazy!

mmm.... FOcast
Everytime I see that name I get all excited.
Theyed be rad to as they probobly wouldn't have a mediocre height, most FOs are small and most Casts are tall, so it would be excellent to toy with.

Fomar0153
Jan 16, 2004, 07:47 AM
Some characters are always annoying like the racast IF THEY STAND BY ME I CAN'T SEE ME AND I'M TALL

Armok
Jan 16, 2004, 08:05 AM
Hucasts dont have to be max height I'm min height and max width. Yer I get called phatty but wat u gonna do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armok on 2004-01-16 05:06 ]</font>

K8lin
Jan 16, 2004, 08:08 AM
I thought my character was quite tall, for a FOmarl. but ive seen bigger :S, not too short tho, yet not so tall

hououtate
Jan 16, 2004, 12:54 PM
Sometimes tall characters look stupid
cough
FOnewms
-----
And some look awesome when tall
HUcast

Outrider
Jan 16, 2004, 10:11 PM
On 2004-01-16 05:05, Armok wrote:
Hucasts dont have to be max height I'm min height and max width. Yer I get called phatty but wat u gonna do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armok on 2004-01-16 05:06 ]</font>

Um... probably call you fatty.

_brainchild
Jan 17, 2004, 04:26 PM
I already had the character before I played PSO. Previously designed for an origional story I made. The story hasn't gone anywhere, but I've been playing a lot of PSO. ^_^ I just created him in PSO as close as I could get him. He's supposed to be around 5'7", so I created/re-created him and ran up to the nurses for comparing height. I did that I think 4 times. So he's a bit taller than the nurses now. Other than that his proportions are ordinary, on the lean side.

I know the weapon sizes are scaled down on the Dreamcast. Like standing next to Kireek, tall HUcast with his Soul Eater and comparing it to my character's, not tall HUmar, there was an obvious size difference. Maybe it doesn't do that on the GameCube, I never got around to trying that out.

As for being shorter and a smaller target, I don't think that does alot. When you run there's a little bit of sliding going on underneath your feet if you pay close attention. All characters go the same speed. (unless there's some kind of enhancing unit) So I'm pretty sure that the visual representation of the character doesn't actually represent the space they take up. For instance, a tall character can still hit short characters with the horizontal swinging partisan style weapons, even though it appears to clear the top of their head.

So the only real thing I would say being short would help with is hiding out in battle mode, so you can clothsline that powerful force with a DragonSlayer as they round a corner of those smaller walls without them suspecting a thing! Bwahahaha.

Jarek
Jan 17, 2004, 05:59 PM
RAcasts! man, those chars can be huge! it's way bigger then i would ever want to be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psobsesser on 2004-01-17 15:01 ]</font>

eNvious
Jan 17, 2004, 07:55 PM
Heh i got biggest possible RAcast and man... it's biig.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif but my opinion is that newmans look stupid when they are too heigh, but humans maybe look good if they are taller

rhymmney
Jan 18, 2004, 07:43 PM
So... I started on my first card with a tall, slutty looking hunawearl and then made a tall fo and ramarl. Then one night online I saw this cute little hunawearl dressed all in pastels and decided that I just had to have a little character. Follow that with a rental of the Borrowers movie and I had to make the smallest possible ramarl just for the fun of it all. So in my case since I don't battle or c-mode that often, it was purely for fun. As such, my second card turned out to be all small characters. When I'm in the mood for tall-I use one card, and so on...

Is that not so enlightening? LOL.

navci
Jan 18, 2004, 08:51 PM
On 2004-01-16 09:54, hououtate wrote:
cough
FOnewms

No they don't. =P Depends on propotions.
Mine looks awesome.

Nai_Calus
Jan 18, 2004, 09:05 PM
On 2004-01-18 17:51, navi wrote:

On 2004-01-16 09:54, hououtate wrote:
cough
FOnewms

No they don't. =P Depends on propotions.
Mine looks awesome.

Hehe, yeah, Si'ev is cute.

Eolwyn is cuter, though. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif XD