PDA

View Full Version : Why do I still play this game!!?!?!?!?!?!?

anwserman
Jan 12, 2004, 03:44 AM
I have absolutely no idea.

It started back on the DC, where I bought v.1 used for like $5 just to see if I would enjoy the game or not, just to test out the game before I got the GC version (and if I would have hated it not buy it). Got a level 20 character.

Got GC version, offline only. Level 50 HUnewearl.

X-Box version. Four characters that I play as. One force, three hunters. One FOnewearl, one HUmar and two HUnewearls. Why the hell do I choose the characters that PLAY EXACTLY THE SAME? Except for the force, but I make her melee so its like 3.25 hunters I primarely play is. Its like 500-600 hours of my life. Hunting for boomas. In the forest. And the cave boomas. Mine boomas. Ruins boomas! (Nod to a previous post I've read here before.) I honestly don't know why.

I just made my Sato. Its a frickin ugly Sato that looks like he got splattered with green paint and dipped in guacamole sauce. So I start making another one for the heck of it. Black.... oooh. Because I've never had a cool looking Sato, and I've had it for two days now. I just find an Anti 7 disk. Yeah, but I'm just ranting but why the hell is this game so damn compelling that out of all 50+ games I have, over 4 systems, do I play just this one! Hell, my latest HUnewearl is a Skyly so I can find a frickin J-Sword but why am I so motivated to find one! I don't know even though I know I'll probably never get one!

Ack.... stupid Sonic Team for making a game thats the video game component of crack. Screw Animal Crossing, PSO is more addictive..... wah!

</rant>

opaopajr
Jan 12, 2004, 05:12 AM
you play because life is suffering and this is your yoga towards enlightenment and an end to the cycle of rebirth.

may your penance in the form of playing PSO be fruitful and gloriously agonizing.

shifter
Jan 12, 2004, 10:37 AM
u play because of all the charming people that are online that are willing to help and support you in a team like enviroment when u need them.

seriously, i dont know, i dont know how u play or what ur like. but i guess u play because there is something in the game u havent found on ur own. just a guess though.

KodiaX987
Jan 12, 2004, 01:31 PM
Dude, my FOnewearl is power-leveling like there's no tomorrow, and I'm on DC V1 version!

GO US!!!

AUTO_
Jan 12, 2004, 04:22 PM
You play because you want need to.

*cough*

Liquid_Bacon
Jan 12, 2004, 07:08 PM
Answerman, I am the same way. I must have at least 8 awesome Xbox games, but PSO never leaves the disc tray. Why do I always want to play PSO more than any of the others? It was the same way on GameCube and Dreamcast.

Maybe it's because PSO is a little different every time. When you log on, you never know what special thing you'll see, what exciting new item you'll find, or what cool new person you'll play with.

It could also be because of how PSO can be so "goal-oriented." In my short PSOX career, there have always been little goals of mine that kept me playing. Get Mag to level 35. Get mag to level 50. Find a Resta disc so I can stop using these dumb Monomates. Unlock Hard mode. Get mag to level 100 so I can make a Pushan. Unlock Very Hard mode. Gain 6 more MST so I can use that Jellen 10 disc. Get to level 41 so I can use that cool Attribute Wall I found. Get Mag to level 200. These goals, combined with the fact that PSO is usually entertaining enough to play without them, combine to keep me coming back.

PS: Screw you, auto-refresh.

Sord
Jan 12, 2004, 07:15 PM
because they flash a screan that says "You want to play PSO all the time" for a brief nanosecond, this makes your subconcious want to play.

Seriously though, i have no clue.

Solstis
Jan 12, 2004, 08:24 PM
because they flash a screan that says "You want to play PSO all the time" for a brief nanosecond, this makes your subconcious want to play.

They do it on every loading screen, would explain its addictiveness.

_Ted_
Jan 12, 2004, 08:34 PM
On 2004-01-12 02:12, opaopajr wrote:
you play because life is suffering and this is your yoga towards enlightenment and an end to the cycle of rebirth.

may your penance in the form of playing PSO be fruitful and gloriously agonizing.

You make it sound like PSO has some sort of weird connection with Buddha.

Solstis
Jan 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
It doesn't?

-Luke-
Jan 13, 2004, 12:34 PM
Because the game is fun dammit. And the goal thing. That too. Although it can be damn frustrating.
Luke

PaleKid15
Jan 13, 2004, 12:54 PM
You play for the same reason many of us play. You are used to it. You play a game for over 300 hours, it becomes part of your life. If you played pso for +1000 hours, that equates to over 41 days! I got pso last christmas. That's about 41/365 days. I spent about 1/9 of my year playin pso. It's habit now. You play pso because, well, what else is there to do? What other activity can be entertaining for 1000 hours? (that you CAN do for 1000 hours) You have become dependent on pso. As you get older and have alot more stuff to do, you will spend less and less time playing pso, and then you might be able to quit.

Liquid_Bacon
Jan 13, 2004, 01:39 PM
You know, I bet you're right. My PSO use skyrockets during the winter, and dwindles off in the summer. I think your theory could totally explain this.

Anubis_
Jan 13, 2004, 04:58 PM
Because the Visual Lobby is both..
Rare and interesting- an inovative and cool way to meet people online..

and..

A good way to become iritated by Nazi Nks and the occasional FSODers.. Or as I have so efectionately named them...

Fuck Faces..

God I hate that.. Its like slaming your wang in a car door..

sure..
Its fukin funny.. but only if it doesnt hapen to you..