PDA

View Full Version : Androids... and of other matters

Nazo
Jan 12, 2004, 06:49 AM
Out of curiosity, having personally I've never used an android before, (being too preoccupied with the current plans)... I was curious about the traps. Aren't the traps at all inconvinient? I can understand perhaps ranger, but- I mean, not having the ability to strike down gunners with a barta (as they aren't affected by normal weaponry) or needing to lure enemies to a spot to knock the crap out of them with hunters doesn't sound as appealing...

Please tell me, because I can't decide on whether to make a human or android, as I can't decide upon one.. :S

TiRune
Jan 12, 2004, 06:53 AM
android traps are better then magic in c-mode... other then that, ur better of using magic (in the normal game, traps don't matter much since the critters are weak anyway).
most andruids ARE stronger, but magic is just way better then the traps, thrust me (or try for urself.)

Garanz2
Jan 12, 2004, 07:01 AM
I like androids personally. They have no techniques, but their physical stats are a lot stronger than those of humans. (ATP, DFP). They cost less to raise, having no need for fluids. They are immune to poison and paralysis, so lilies don't gove you any problems, although they can still be shocked. Basically, androids are tanks. They aren't very versatile, but perfect fr wading straight into combat and dishing out damage even from a low level. Supported by a decent force, droids can dish out insane damage with the right equipment.

It's really a matter of opinion. Choose based on how you most enjoy playing.

Nazo
Jan 12, 2004, 07:20 AM
On 2004-01-12 04:01, Garanz2 wrote:
Supported by a decent force, droids can dish out insane damage with the right equipment.

It's really a matter of opinion. Choose based on how you most enjoy playing.

Yes... I was worried about that. I play offline, therefore solo. So I don't have much support, except on quests... -_- But nonetheless I want to go with either a RAcast or RAmarl. Which reminds me, do you buy traps? Or do you have infinite amounts?

Crispin
Jan 12, 2004, 08:29 AM
On 2004-01-12 04:20, Nazo wrote:

Yes... I was worried about that. I play offline, therefore solo. So I don't have much support, except on quests... -_- But nonetheless I want to go with either a RAcast or RAmarl. Which reminds me, do you buy traps? Or do you have infinite amounts?

You start off with a set limit of traps that you can use. As you level up, you're able to carry more and more traps. If you run out of traps, you can replenish your supply by going to the medical center.

I found the traps incredibly useful for soloing in ultimate. I never really used them much before, but confusion traps make things much easier for you in places where you have to deal with lots of enemies at once. It's especially nice when you confuse a powerful enemy like an Indi Belra or a group of Delsabers and they clean out the entire room for you.

gallaugher
Jan 12, 2004, 10:06 AM
If you're offline only & thinking of a Ranger then a RAmarl might be your best bet. Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure are very usefull offline. If you were thinking of a Hunter then a HUcast is not a bad choice for offline because of very high ATP & HP.

heyf00L
Jan 12, 2004, 02:33 PM
Freeze traps are infinately better than any tech.

Also I've noticed that trap range seems to grow with level or maybe just difficulty.

Hikara
Jan 12, 2004, 02:37 PM
On 2004-01-12 11:33, heyf00L wrote:
Freeze traps are infinately better than any tech.

Also I've noticed that trap range seems to grow with level or maybe just difficulty.

Yeah, I'd have to agree there.

Being a FOrce lover, I have a very difficult time working with Androids, but I have a level 18 RAcast who runs pretty well. Freeze traps are invaluable when surrounded, because they'll freeze anything INSTANTLY, instead of getting lucky, like with a Barta class spell.

And... Traps regenerate after a while. but it's a LONG while.

Liquid_Bacon
Jan 12, 2004, 02:59 PM
It's true that traps' range increase with difficulty or level. I'm not sure which one is responsible, but I know that when my RAcast was level 8 in the Normal Caves, he would be lucky to freeze a Shark 10 feet away with a freeze trap. At level 127 in Ultimate Caves, I froze whole rooms.

navci
Jan 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
Now I am actually a Force at heart. My first is a FOnewm and then I decided on a HUcast as my second. As you can see those are really different characters. What I can say is this: while it is so much easier to bomb through offline levels with techs, it is awesome to know that monsters won't kill you in one hit and have some awesome power in your hands. Awesome power == HUcast. And there are quests you do online that you'd feel a lot better if you have a bot in your team.

Traps.... you gotta learn to use them. Confuse traps are good for reasons someone else mentioned above, freeze traps are just really good. It's like a 100% freezing rabarta. Heh. Explosion, hm, I'd like to to think of it as tagging in a game. (since explosion is Foie series based, so enemies that are immune to foie won't take any damage) As with any effective hunters, you WILL need to herd the enemies for your traps to be effective. Traps effective range increase with your level, they can freeze up to a whole room when level is high enough.

So. Is andriods easier to play? Maybe. Don't have to worry about paralysis really is quite nice when you do something like Temple. But the lack of support techs will force you to play is a slightly different style. SO there is a bit of challenge and learning to do right there. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Personally I find Andriods and non-andriods all fun in a different way, so it really is just your pick.

(They are really awesome in c-mode tho!)

Black000Moon
Jan 12, 2004, 03:24 PM
On 2004-01-12 05:29, Crispin wrote:

On 2004-01-12 04:20, Nazo wrote:

You start off with a set limit of traps that you can use. As you level up, you're able to carry more and more traps. If you run out of traps, you can replenish your supply by going to the medical center.

I found the traps incredibly useful for soloing in ultimate. I never really used them much before, but confusion traps make things much easier for you in places where you have to deal with lots of enemies at once. It's especially nice when you confuse a powerful enemy like an Indi Belra or a group of Delsabers and they clean out the entire room for you.

Also healing rigs

Black000Moon
Jan 12, 2004, 03:27 PM
One downside (to lazy to check if mentioned) limited healing items...I mean they can stand in place and recover hp. But androids can only hold up to 40(monomate,dimate,trimate, star atomizer)healing items. That should be more than enough though. But you aren't able to heal again once u use them all up(not unless you go back to p2 or something). This sucks alot during a boss battle....

Nazo
Jan 13, 2004, 05:36 AM
Hm... I'm willing to try RAcast, since I will be busy training my HUnewearl (Laxania) to use those tasty lookin' hunters items... but also want to use stuff like guilty light and photon launcher which both look cool. I'm pretty sure I can afford mates...

Let's add another carriage to the train of thought here: do you consider playing solo as a ranger a nuisance? For example, you start out rangers with a freakin handgun. Doesn't it sometimes get annoying to have to sit there shooting stuff and barely dealing damage (especially in places like the Dragon)... Or is this easily overcome?

Armok
Jan 13, 2004, 07:57 AM
Andriods are always fun. Damage traps are great versus annoying slimes. Confuse traps work well versus delsabers and Garanz. And well freeze are great if you are using mechs and wanna do hard/hard/hard combo

ladyjaderiver
Jan 13, 2004, 10:21 AM
Androids are a lot of fun... I play mine mostly for a chance to stop bothering with remembering what techs affect what with my FOnewearl. I have a HUcaseal and a RAcaseal, and they're fun. Of course, I didn't like them too much until I got used to using traps and watching my HP carefully. (Oh, how I miss resta as an android...)

rhymmney
Jan 13, 2004, 11:08 AM
I must say that I love my racaseal... I had played primarily hunawearls for a while and then started a ramarl and such, but the racaseal is just fun. The traps she can set are better than rabarta from any hunawearl (and sometimes better than the fo can do) and she can kill, kill, kill better without getting smacked around by monsters like my hunawearl does (although maybe it is just that I tend to play too close to monsters with hunter chars). Anyways- I have to say that offline it is a little harder to rely only on traps as your defense or offense whatever it is... anywho... that is my two cents worth. You always benefit from having a range of characters to play as all give a different feel to the game.

Thepandaman
Jan 13, 2004, 02:30 PM
I've gone from a fomar to a Racaseal for a couple of reasons. One, my fomar was corrupted http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif he was lvl 101. and two, I found forces to be too easy to use lol, yeah sure they are harder at the start, but once you overcome that even ultimate ruins was a piece of pie. Also I rarely do single player (can you believe it, I don't own the game lol), and using a ranger is fine in multiplayer as you don't really need to think about what you're doing much, so I concentrate on mag feeding lol (I usually have + mags on me)
Rangers are in my opinion the most boring class to play with, unless you liven it up a bit by meleeing (I personally like partisans, but never got to use them on the fomar), and using a wide arsenal of ranged weapons. It's easy to get the hang of going bang-bang-bang, or schup-schup-schup (well, that's kind of what they sound like....)
Anyway, I would recomend Ramarl for single player, as I've seen a lvl 52 ramarl getting on to ultimate with ease.

Xylon
Jan 13, 2004, 10:08 PM
I have six characters, my first and strongest being a HUcaseal. After falling in love with her, I've actually found myself wishing my other non-android characters had traps instead of magic. And no, they aren't inconvenient at all, if you use them properly.

lain2k3
Jan 13, 2004, 10:56 PM
damnit, stupidass auto refresh...

anyway, my point was that ramarls and hunewearls are the best solo characters in the game, noone else can really compare.

cHaOsMaZtA
Jan 13, 2004, 11:18 PM
i have a humar, hucast, racaseal, fonewearl, and hunewearl. im offline, and ive found that NOTHING is better than techs when your solo offline. my lvl 15 j/z kicks butt. and having s/d/j/z on one char!! Insane damage. also, on falzs 3rd form, foie is a godsend. resta rocks!!! with my hucast and racaseal, i have to go back to town after 20 heals (dimates and trimates) and i find that to be more expensive than fluids, unless youre a force. my humar hardly ever runs out of difluids before his inventory is full. yet, with my hucast i have to go back to town after healing only 20 times!! and that happens pretty quick when your lvl 80 and doing caves 1 of addictig food over and over (gotta get that chainsawd!!) . traps are pretty handy, but i think that techs are alot better. also, i still havent found a use for the auto hp regeneration.

well, thats what ive found after playing my 200 or so hours. now i have to go do my english essay http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Hrith
Jan 15, 2004, 05:33 AM
On 2004-01-13 19:56, lain2k3 wrote:
damnit, stupidass auto refresh...

anyway, my point was that ramarls and hunewearls are the best solo characters in the game, noone else can really compare.
FOnewearl and FOnewm pawn them -_-
And Terra is nowhere better or faster than Kefka.
Actually in my offline experience it is something like this :
Fastest for Forest : Hedoba
Fastest for Cave : Kefka
Fastest for Mine : Terra with SPREAD NEEDLE / Hedoba
Fastest for Ruins : Kefka, except boss : Hedoba
Fastest for VR Temple : Terra
Fastest for VR Spaceship : Kefka, except boss : Terra
Fastest for Gal Da Val Islands : Terra
Fastest for Seabed : Hedoba/Aelia (Megid), except boss : Kefka

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kefka on 2004-01-15 02:42 ]</font>

Armok
Jan 15, 2004, 08:37 AM
Hucasts are incredibly quick through caves as Kefka said. Even with my legit stuff I can 1 combo kill groups of Vulmer and GoVulmer. Any room with 1 hard foe in is just a light,hard,spec volley with a Vulcan (thats not a charge spec thats me leeching 26exp x3 with masters spec). I would comment on Ruins but I only bothered to do it twice as Sklyly finds less there than they do in the principles office.

My lower lv 107 hucast can also increbibly complete vr temple in 25minute without dieing (or needing to go back for mates even before boss).

Only levels that suit Legit Ras more are Mines and forest. Of coarse if u are a cheat and use a 300% area needle and a 1000+ atp mag of coarse u gonna be faster than a hunter as u can 1 hit ko from range

Storme
Jan 15, 2004, 09:11 AM
I have a RaMarl that I use offline. As far as techs go, I hardly ever use them just for the fact the most of her guns have range on them enough to act like a rafoie or whichever one I need.
Go with the droid. Its a bit more challenging, and trust me - with a Ra, you won't need techs. Just load up on mates and go.

Ketchup345
Jan 15, 2004, 09:18 AM
On 2004-01-15 06:11, Storme wrote:
I have a RaMarl that I use offline. As far as techs go, I hardly ever use them just for the fact the most of her guns have range on them enough to act like a rafoie or whichever one I need.
Go with the droid. Its a bit more challenging, and trust me - with a Ra, you won't need techs. Just load up on mates and go.

In Ultimate, my RAmarl uses her Shifta and Zalure all the time. It helps a lot; and for the Mines and Ruins, the Jellen and Deband are extreamly useful as those enemies actually get close enough to hurt you.

My HUcaseal friend is pretty much useless when he doesn't have Shifta; even in the Forest.

Droids have to rely on Sinow Red and a Mag arms for S/D; and S-Rank weapons for Jellen/Zalure. And the Androids have a low healing supply capacity (40 items + auto HP regen), while the non-Androids have a much bigger supply (40 items + Resta {+ 40 TP restore items + Newman TP regen}).

Hrith
Jan 15, 2004, 10:33 AM
I understand your statement, Ketchup345, but what is the point of your reply ? I fail to see it :/
And your reply applies to low Lv only.

Ketchup345
Jan 15, 2004, 10:39 AM
On 2004-01-15 07:33, Kefka wrote:
I understand your statement, Ketchup345, but what is the point of your reply ? I fail to see it :/
And your reply applies to low Lv only.

I was replying to techs being useless. And techs are useful for some higher levels, I can't tell exactly how far though. But most people don't have characters that are past the Techs being useless levels.

Auracom
Jan 16, 2004, 04:24 PM
I skimmed through this post so pardon me if this was mentioned, but the maximum amount of traps you can carry are 60. 20 per type (damage,ice,confuse) and the only way to refill your traps are Leveling, using a heal ring, dying and using a scrape doll and heading to the medical center. Well atleast to my knowledge. ^-^... I for one love using Androids.

SuperDK
Jan 18, 2004, 07:55 PM
I also love using Androids. I've gotten my RAcast up to LV 188, and have never been Online. The game is really easy and he is powerful. A good soloing character might be rangers, that is, if you want to use the traps and set them off fast(without having to switch your weapon constantly). I can get through Ep. 1 in probably about 3-4 hours solo. Of course, my levels are really high...

But for Ranger androids, a Frozen Shooter or a Spread Needle (recommended) is enough to take on Ultimate Ruins alone (even without S/D). Well, it was enough for me, (as I was level 140 or so).

I'm not sure about Hunter Androids because I don't have a HUcaseal/HUcast yet.

DarK-SuN
Jan 18, 2004, 11:13 PM
I wonder why everyone keeps forgetting to mention they can also refill traps in those "healing showers" you can find through the game...

If your decision is between RAcast or RAmarl, check this:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1207
My RAcast guide kinda speaks for itself, no need for me to type it all over again here.

Has Photon Blast sugestions, mag guide for the RAcast class, offline and online tips, recommended weapons, class comparision, etc.

Enjoy.