PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards

AUTO_
Jan 14, 2004, 04:07 AM
I'll give you a couple examples.

Our school handbook clearly states that hats aren't allowed (to be worn) during school hours.

If a male is caught with a baseball hat during class hours, it usually results in detention.

Girls wear bandanas, berrets, "train conductor hats"...but they're not hats.

No-no!!...

They're "accessories".

Pffffttshkaa!

If guys "do it" with a lot of girls--that's cool.

If girls "do it" with a lot of guys--they're skanks.

Pfffttttshkaa!

Double Standards suck.

Tell your friends.

Gnarled_rose
Jan 14, 2004, 08:45 AM
Tell your friends.
"Hey, guys!"*cricket chirps once, then another time* *Holds up both hands.*
"Double standards suck."*Right hand goes limp*
"Righty! No, not righty!"*Shakes vigorously with left hand*
"Dangit. There goes my love life..."

Okay, got that out of my system. It's okay. We have that same hat rule at our school, too. But in all honesty, I haven't been seeing too many girls taking advantage of it and wearing hats. Maybe the girls over here just have incredibly good hair days or something, and feel no need to hide it.
I dunno; I'm talkin' out the other end of my digestive tract now.

anwserman
Jan 14, 2004, 11:20 AM
Hahahahahaha, how true. Typical Man Vs. Woman arguments are the best.

Women want to be paid for equal work to do with men. Yeah, I agree with that. But why should men be expected to hold doors open for women, and why is it women can always 'cope out' of doing something by saying its a man's job?

Shimarisu
Jan 14, 2004, 02:18 PM
If guys "do it" with a lot of girls--that's cool.

If girls "do it" with a lot of guys--they're skanks.

There's a reason for that, girls naturally do not have as high a sex drive as men, and over the years SHOULD have come to realise that we suffer far more from the consequenses of being a complete slut. Usually girls who do this sort of thing do it because their lives are messed up, whereas men do it because they are... men. Women have less desire to play around, we are programmed with some common sense in this respect that a MUCH better idea would be to settle down and be looked after. It sounds sexist and I for one am not looked after, major bread-winner in this house here - but this IS how women are programmed, and why women still retire early after having children, despite the fact they no longer have to.

In conclusion, I call anyone who sleeps around a slut, but I have less respect for the women who do it, because they are in my opinion, broken. Pull yourselves together, some of us have.

I hate how the media is, once again giving the message that sleeping around is fine. It pisses me off that instead of trying to tell us that it's NOT ok, that it's not healthy, that you risk fucking around not only with a person but with their FEELINGS, that humans are not objects to get a high off and then discard, that the media is telling women that it's OK to do what men have done for thousands of years. No it is not OK, whatever happened to the AIDS scare of the 80s? Lost far in the past? AIDS is increasing, not decreasing, and it's largely the fault of everyone forgetting about it.

Diseases like AIDS are nature's way I'm afraid, of telling us that it's unhealthy (for your psyche if these diseases were not around) do engage in such filthy, self ingratiating behaviour.

I hate Ally McBeal and Sex and the City. What a first rate example of high class, dirty little skanks.

- Shimarisu

Kupi
Jan 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
That, Shimarisu, it's what's known as hitting the nail on the head.

Black000Moon
Jan 14, 2004, 03:11 PM
kinky/sluts>sluts/skanks>whores>woman that dont do that stuff

Allos
Jan 14, 2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah! Double standards suck! Like, how come chicks can wear thongs but if a guy does it seems like they're "queer"? I mean, I'm not sayin I wear thongs but.......nevermind. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And on another note, why does Goofy get to walk on two legs but not Pluto??

Sord
Jan 14, 2004, 04:43 PM
I'm 14 so naturally yeah i would want to have sex. I like the idea of it though better then actually doing it, i think i might just be a virgin for the rest of my life.

And i am definitly getting a vesecteme (sp?) before i have sex, if i do anyways.

Blitzkommando
Jan 14, 2004, 06:10 PM
There's an easy explanation to double standards. That is that one group wants to blame another to get out of the trouble they would normally be in. People are lazy, and this makes an easy way to get others into trouble or get yourself out of it.

Scejntjynahl
Jan 14, 2004, 06:13 PM
On 2004-01-14 13:43, Sord wrote:
I'm 14 so naturally yeah i would want to have sex. I like the idea of it though better then actually doing it, i think i might just be a virgin for the rest of my life.

And i am definitly getting a vesecteme (sp?) before i have sex, if i do anyways.

A vasectomy???!!!! Just buy condoms, cheaper and less painful, and still gives you the option to have children later on if you wish too.

anwserman
Jan 14, 2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I certainly know I don't want somebody to cut my sack open to make a change in my life... unless it was a life-threatening condition of course.

And just imagine, sit down in the wrong position, get your boxers/briefs tangled up and, um yeah it can hurt without having any surgery done. Now imagine that with having your balls recovering from being cut open? I'd rather not.

Yeah, condoms are cheaper, and if anything to be concerned, there are other different birth-control methods for men and women that can work too. I've heard of some implants in your arm that give doses of medication, and that you can remove them if necessary if you want to reproduce. Not sure if they made a kind for males, but do research before getting the scapel out.

Sord
Jan 14, 2004, 06:33 PM
On 2004-01-14 15:25, anwserman wrote:
Yeah, I certainly know I don't want somebody to cut my sack open to make a change in my life... unless it was a life-threatening condition of course.

And just imagine, sit down in the wrong position, get your boxers/briefs tangled up and, um yeah it can hurt without having any surgery done. Now imagine that with having your balls recovering from being cut open? I'd rather not.

Yeah, condoms are cheaper, and if anything to be concerned, there are other different birth-control methods for men and women that can work too. I've heard of some implants in your arm that give doses of medication, and that you can remove them if necessary if you want to reproduce. Not sure if they made a kind for males, but do research before getting the scapel out.

You people over react, first of all the cut is very puny. Second of all it's not like it cuts off fluid, it just cuts off the supply of sperm. It's not that great a diffrence as a girl getting her tubes tied. I'v done my research. And i do not want to have kids...ever. If i do, i pity them. My genes are screwed up, alway up my mothers family line.

AUTO_
Jan 15, 2004, 02:11 AM
On 2004-01-14 15:33, Sord wrote:
You people over react, first of all the cut is very puny. Second of all it's not like it cuts off fluid, it just cuts off the supply of sperm. It's not that great a diffrence as a girl getting her tubes tied. I'v done my research. And i do not want to have kids...ever. If i do, i pity them. My genes are screwed up, alway up my mothers family line.

Don't make a decision you might regret...

Someday in the distant future (say 10 years), you might want to have (your own) kids and realize...

Ahhh.. shit you can't.

Anyways, wow.

Got way off-topic.

Shimarisu
Jan 15, 2004, 05:50 AM
It's fairly irresponsible I think, to pass on faulty genes. I'd never pass mine on, and people who go on having autistic and deaf children just because THEY THEMSELVES cope with the disorders, seriously piss me off. Seriously, who asked YOU? I hate being deaf and autistic thanks, and it's ridiculous to pass these disorders on. If you want to do such good for a child, you should adopt.

But that's a whole other story, and an opinion that's earned me a LOT of flaming on disabled support groups.

- Shimarisu
(I was told it would be a plan, if I wanted kids to have any boys aborted, because of the high chance in boys. Well fuck that!)

Superguppie
Jan 15, 2004, 06:35 AM
Whoa, you get flamed by people for an oppinion like that? I can imagine getting flames if I said YOU shouldn't have kids because of your genes. But if you say it about yourself? You should be commended!

Anyway, I found another double standard that isn't as hard as the have sex one, but at least is more funny.

I am a guy, but most of my PSO characters are not. I didn't do it because I'm, a guy and think those chicks look good. (Well, most do look kinda good in a cartoony way. But that's not the reason I like'em.) I did it because the character development for the females in PSO fits my personal style of gameplay better. (with the exception of the RAmar, that has the highest ATA. Good for using my favorites: FS and SQ)
Even thought the guys on my cards are the minority, it is one of those guys that I usualy take online. Sitting around in the lobby as a guy I noticed that some of the other guys (oddly mostly HUmars) are hitting on pretty much any new female that enters. With the dreaded calling'em Hunney (see some other rant) as the most noticable.
Now, during Halloween I needed some other characters for getting Jacks from the quest. So, I took'em online. At the first one I got the attention I expected. Now as my online favorite I often type B U R P ! when I something happens that I think deserves a conceited comment. And most of the people around the lobby at that time knew me for it.
So, to signal this and in an attempt to show in a funny way that it was me, I type B U R P !.
The results of that were not what I expected. I did expect most to go "Oh, it's Superguppie" and cool down and sit and talk, just like normal. Instead, most just left me alone. Some even remarked "Oh, you're a guy". Like being a chick makes me more interesting or something...
Anyway, the double standard here is that it is normal for guys to belch and fart, while for girls it's considered so inappropriate you're automaticaly marked a guy for doing it like I did.
Weirdest part about this is that I actualy know girls who's favorite passtime at sleepovers is the belching contest. And they're not guy-like or guy-wannabe. They're normal girly girls!

Reiya
Jan 15, 2004, 06:36 AM
why is a girl aloud to hit me and im not allowed to hit her back?

and their always complaining that women should be treated exactly like men.

Superguppie
Jan 15, 2004, 07:16 AM
Oo, yeah. That's a double double. I must treat women like men, but when I do I'm a bad guy!
Howabout let women treat men like women? I Wonder. Need to do the research.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arislan
Jan 15, 2004, 07:47 AM
You just almost touched on a personal subject of mine with the male and female character thing, which is cross-gender roleplaying. One of my most developed characters is a female, chosen because this character, how I envisioned her, simply could not have fit as a male. She's a bit rough around the edges, and as a male, she would have simply come off rude, but being female, it becomes more endearing and brash.

She has been in multiple different gaming environments (she started in Vampire the Masquerade and most recently is running around in a D&D game and Horizons), and I roleplay as her with every opportunity. I'm a very good actor (at least behind a keyboard, I'm pretty shy in person when it comes to groups), and unless someone asks about me as a person, to which I will answer truthfully, I will play her as I see her acting in any given situation, including flirtations (which she doesn't like much, since she gets obsessive about goals, and dislikes distractions, but will deal with them as they come). So, I tend to get a lot of people, male and female, being suprised when they either find out or ask what sex I really am. I haven't had a single person say "I knew it!" yet, so I guess that's a good sign.

Where this ties in is the reaction I get for this, and I've read quite a few treatises on the subject, with most being of like mind. Males playing females are generally looked down upon as weird, or called gay, or perverts. However, a woman playing as a man is treated as one of the guys usually, even once found out. I've lost more than one online "friend" due to this (guess they weren't really friends, heh) and it kind of bugs me that in a Role Playing game there are people that simply aren't mature enough to realize that playing a role doesn't have to be the same role you play in life. Heck, in Horizons you can play an asexual Lizard. Does that mean that the person behind the keyboard is one?

Superguppie
Jan 15, 2004, 08:29 AM
I don't mind roleplaying, not even playing a hooker if need be. I don't consider cross-gender acting any different from 'normal' acting. I can even appreciate good role-playing. I am actualy doing so a bit with Coolest-Mum.
However, I can't imagine what role it is that makes the guys there run to every new female they see, making passes like a bunch of horny dogs. If I play a female, it will be a sort of IRL one. What IRL male is it that behaves like they do? (An answer might be: the one that gets thrown out of every bar for it. Except in PSO we don't have a bouncer...)

And I don't think you are completely right about how cross-gender actors are treated. The effect you describe is for the response of the males. A male that acting a female is called gay mostly by other males. A female acting a male is accepted by the males. How the response of the females are I don't know, but I can imagine they're different, like many women react differently to gays or lesbians, than men do.

And I can understand why role playing here is so poorly understood. In Japan, where role playing is big, most gamers (at least the role playing ones) are older than here. Many RPGs are made for that and all the adolescents here that don't get it yet screw it up all the time.
Another effect the 'more old gamers' thing has is that the younger ones are striving to be part of the 'older' community. They can pull them selves up, so to speak.

opaopajr
Jan 15, 2004, 08:40 AM
i try to treat everyone equally, and i also apply chivalrous etiquette to everyone (within reason). so i hold open doors for men and women (isn't that just common courtesy?). but i don't pull out the chairs of most people i'm with. only if they are elderly or dating them do i go out of my way to do that.

i do not tolerate people hitting me and i will hit back, but most of the time i just let it go - with an incredibly serious look, and if necessary a firm warning. this goes for women and men (y'know frustrated women, horse-playing guys). the civil response is to respect yourself as you do others and demand a higher standard of behavior from them.

the list goes on. it's polite to pour drink for your friends first. it's polite to provide little assistences to friends and lovers and strangers! tucking your feet/luggage as people walk by, opening doors, covering your mouth, saying thank you for even small (and perhaps expected) favors. it's just the art of being civil.

maybe i'm living my life far too asexually... but i know that by the favorable encounters i receive obviously a little kindness goes a long way. try some today!

Shimarisu
Jan 15, 2004, 02:34 PM
Anyway, the double standard here is that it is normal for guys to belch and fart, while for girls it's considered so inappropriate you're automaticaly marked a guy for doing it like I did.
Weirdest part about this is that I actualy know girls who's favorite passtime at sleepovers is the belching contest. And they're not guy-like or guy-wannabe. They're normal girly girls!

Pretty much everyone online allows themselves the opinion that my FOmar is not being played by a female, because I swear a lot. And yet they all think my FOmar is instead, played by a gay guy. Jeez get a grip. I find that as a female character, I am assumed to be female, but as a male character, I can say stuff like "haha my char is hot!" and somebody will invariably say "Oh my god, you are gay!"

Here's another funny one. My boyfriend plays online as a RAmarl. If I say that it's my boyfriend, EVERYONE assumes I am gay, as opposed to that...well...DUH! He's playing a female character that he likes the look of, so isn't it safe to assume I'm playing a male because FOmars look hot? Irony is, if I came on as my HUne, I bet they would not think we were a gay couple if I said "Servelan is my boyfriend."

Still saying that, I rarely correct people who think I'm a guy. I don't see the point, it sounds silly, when people say "her" about me, because I'm playing a FOmar.

My favourite reaction to people who insist I'm gay, is "Yes, I like guys." It ensures that the person who said it, won't play with me in future.
Homophobics piss me off.

- Shimarisu

Shimarisu
Jan 15, 2004, 03:17 PM
On 2004-01-15 03:35, Superguppie wrote:
Whoa, you get flamed by people for an oppinion like that? I can imagine getting flames if I said YOU shouldn't have kids because of your genes. But if you say it about yourself? You should be commended!

When I say it on disability forums, they see it from the perspective that I am not just talking about me, I am talking about them.

Let's get it out in the open where I feel safe to say it.

Disabled people are not a little minority culture. We are an accident of nature. We should not have been born with these problems, and these problems DO reduce our quality of life. If they can be cured in the womb, that is GOOD. If problems can be found early and that couple choose not to have children, that is the RIGHT DECISION. If these problems can be eradicated from the human race, that is not eradicating a culture, it is not an insult to disabled people. It is eradicating a DEFECTIVE GENE that in some cases can DESTROY peoples' lives.

A profoundly deaf person saying to me "I'm deaf and I don't mind!" does not wash, because I am severly hard of hearing and I KNOW what it is like to hear, so I want my hearing to be perfect, thanks. YOU have no idea what you are missing! And one of the worst cliquey little groups I was ever involved in was deaf people. My GOD they are bigoted towards the hearing. They even have their own little communes in some areas of the world, no hearing people allowed. And why? Because they have their own language, which segregates them. So it turns them in many cases, into asswipes, because of that other faulty gene inherant in ALL humans that causes them to be racist and intolerant to those they cannot understand.

Deafness is a very common disorder compared to blindness, because many deaf people only associate with deaf. They have deaf children (x5, in the respect of one couple I knew). They say they are doing nothing wrong, but I think people who do this are stupid and irresponsible. Especially the ones who won't learn English, won't learn to read - god, you are supposed to live DESPITE this disability, not BECAUSE of it! And it's not hard to learn to speak to the hearing, yes I KNOW you sound dumb to them, yes I KNOW they will taunt you for it in many respects, but wow, you have it lucky - a wonderful ability to communicate using your BRAIN and you DO NOT USE IT! Whereas I have a brain-based communication disorder AND deafness and make a bigger effort. ><

And I sound dumb to everyone, but I try, I try really hard, 90% of people spurn me, but I don't live in a stupid commune - "Only autistic people allowed". Saying that my only RL friends are autistic, but that is not for SEVERE want of trying. Though my boyfriend is not autistic, which proves you do not HAVE to segregate yourself and form defective couplings that produce defective children. Sorry to sound so mean.

Yes I know, offtopic, but this IS a rant.

Once again, live DESPITE your disability, not because of it. That's why Stephen Hawkings writes books on science, not on how he would like to create communes for all his motorised children.

- Shimarisu

KaFKa
Jan 15, 2004, 03:24 PM
shim, thats one of the best rants ive seen in awile... i salute you!

Ness
Jan 15, 2004, 04:21 PM
When a women tires to be a woman, it's respected and a shows her independence.

When a man tries to be a man, it's boorish and offensive.

Anubis_
Jan 15, 2004, 04:40 PM
i believe in male whores..

If a girl does alot of guys shes a whore..
If a guy does alot of girls, hes a whore..

About the hat thing.. I loved my old high shcool... They knew better than to make double standard ass rules like that.. They're to many smart ass students in our town to try something like that....

Alot of the students at my old high school luv to test the boundaries of people who make rules like that... Like guys dressing up like a girl and then wearing the hat, claming it to be an accesory.. Waiting for the principle to say something so they could claim the principle makes them dress like their own gender.. This is especially funny to watch, especialy when everyone knows the guys is straight and just doing it to prove a point... lol.. Thats why we have school uniforms now..

Now they just go back to the old days.. No more posting double standard ass rules.. Now they just place their discriminitory actions under good old fashioned racial prejudice.. Thanks alot School Board..

Inu_Ranma
Jan 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
For the record, my favorite instance of double standard is the fact that the 'jackboot feminists' (NOT all feminists. I'm a feminist myself. I want equality for the sexes.) will fight to the end for equal pay, but we have yet to hear anything about drafting women into the military. I consider that to be hardly fair when I, as a male, can be dragged into a battle that I do not, and never will, believe in, but a woman who supports that war and shuns me because I do not will never have to fight in it, willingly or otherwise, unless of course, she accepts the army paying for her school, etc. How is that fair or equal?

Sord
Jan 15, 2004, 07:55 PM
why is women wearing mens clothing generally excepted in culture, but not men wearing women's clothes?

Jaks
Jan 15, 2004, 08:14 PM
Howcome when you declaw a cat it's "cruelty to animals" when you're only protecting a younger family member. but when the cat attacks that younger family member it gets put to sleep? thats a little worse than declawing the damn animal.

Sord
Jan 15, 2004, 08:37 PM
On 2004-01-15 17:14, Jaks wrote:
Howcome when you declaw a cat it's "cruelty to animals" when you're only protecting a younger family member. but when the cat attacks that younger family member it gets put to sleep? thats a little worse than declawing the damn animal.

When it comes to declawing a cat, just do it's front clas, hardly any of them know how to do a mule kick. And i doubt they are going to jump on you unless your laying down. So just close your bedroom door at night.

Jaks
Jan 15, 2004, 09:15 PM
Heh ain't Sord cute? He thinks he's people!

Gnarled_rose
Jan 15, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ugh...I can't read any more of this.
Shim, you fascinate me. Absolutely fascinate.
Just to clarify, however, are you actually deaf or hard of hearing? There's a nuance of difference, in case anyone was wondering. I'm actually a CODA myself(let's see who can define that one!), and I've got a few insights you've directly challenged and agreed with simultaneously without contradicting yourself. Dang, that's impressive!
Can you do me a favor and PM me your story/experiences?
But to get back to the original post: double standards suck, and it's getting harder and harder to be nice to someone of the opposite sex without automatically making them assume you're hitting on them.
Me:"Hey, can I help you with that?"
"No."
"Are you sure? That's a lot of stuff, and--"
"Don't get fresh with me!!"*SLAP!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chuck-ball.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Or could I be wrong?

Mixfortune
Jan 15, 2004, 09:52 PM
On 2004-01-15 18:17, Gnarled_rose wrote:

But to get back to the original post: double standards suck, and it's getting harder and harder to be nice to someone of the opposite sex without automatically making them assume you're hitting on them.
Me:"Hey, can I help you with that?"
"No."
"Are you sure? That's a lot of stuff, and--"
"Don't get fresh with me!!"*SLAP!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chuck-ball.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Or could I be wrong?

I think that all depends on the individual.
Of course, that's the case for a lot of things. As this thread has shown us, both genders can have different views on the matter, so there's no real answer that can cover all similar situations.

But, like I said, that's true for a lot of things, not just this.

echo-2003
Jan 22, 2004, 03:59 PM
On 2004-01-14 15:13, Furankunichan wrote:

A vasectomy???!!!! Just buy condoms, cheaper and less painful, and still gives you the option to have children later on if you wish too.

Cheaper yes, painful no. I'm sure freezing is used during the operation and I;'m sure there is medication for after the operation too. And even after a vasectomy you can still have kids, it's called adopting.

Sord
Jan 22, 2004, 05:12 PM
On 2004-01-22 12:59, echo-2003 wrote:

On 2004-01-14 15:13, Furankunichan wrote:

Cheaper yes, painful no. I'm sure freezing is used during the operation and I;'m sure there is medication for after the operation too. And even after a vasectomy you can still have kids, it's called adopting.

Even though this is relatively old and off-topic, thank you for supporting me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alielle
Jan 24, 2004, 09:35 PM
On 2004-01-15 13:21, Ness wrote:
When a women tires to be a woman, it's respected and a shows her independence.

When a man tries to be a man, it's boorish and offensive.

That all depends on your perception of what a man or woman should be.