PDA

View Full Version : Come participate to a petition on PSO.

Evangelius
Jan 14, 2004, 03:51 PM
http://www.pso-tew.com/centrale.php?page=petition

all is explicate on the page. and the page is in english and french. I hope lots american player go vote. It juste take few secondes. So help me to move sega, vote !

Thanks to participate to the future of pso http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 14, 2004, 04:01 PM
Eh... I signed only because they do indeed need more communication with the players. I've personally not had any difficulties concerning lag, and I'm quite confident that they do mean to serve customers better, and have merely been failing, due largely to being understaffed. And concerning varying Hunter's License fees... Well... It may very well be possible that it costs more to maintain servers in Europe or the United States, than it does in Japan. More importantly though, as following the habits of Capitalism... They'll charge as much for the subscription, as people in a locality are accustomed to paying for a subscription to an online game service. In other words, as much as they can get away with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-01-14 13:01 ]</font>

Black000Moon
Jan 14, 2004, 04:01 PM
Hope this does something....

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 14, 2004, 04:23 PM
Internet Petitions very rarely do.

EDIT: And I mean rare like, finding three Photon Drops, a Lavis Cannon, God/Arm, Frozen Shooter, Red Handgun and an L&K14 Combat all in one room.

It's entirely possible, there's no getting around that. It's just incredibly unlikely that it'll ever happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-01-14 13:26 ]</font>

Outrider
Jan 14, 2004, 05:20 PM
The only internet petition I've ever heard of actually being acknowledged is the Starman.net petition for Earthbound 3. I don't think it did anything, but I'm fairly sure Nintendo acknowledged it in a press release or something.

Vielka
Jan 14, 2004, 06:47 PM
On 2004-01-14 13:23, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Internet Petitions very rarely do.

EDIT: And I mean rare like, finding three Photon Drops, a Lavis Cannon, God/Arm, Frozen Shooter, Red Handgun and an L&K14 Combat all in one room.

It's entirely possible, there's no getting around that. It's just incredibly unlikely that it'll ever happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-01-14 13:26 ]</font>

i remember that!!

_Sinue_
Jan 14, 2004, 07:10 PM
Recently, an Internet petition demanding the involvement of Al Lowe in the next LSL game has spurned talks between Sierra and Lowe to bring him on as supervisor. High Voltage Games (Developer) isn't very happy with this, and I don't know how the negotiations are doing - but at least the petition got them that far.

However, that's also dealing with a US company. Japaneese companies probably won't pay any attention to an online petition - expecially if they can't read it. If you want to get the attention of a Japaneese company, your petition probably should be written in Japaneese. It makes things easier for the company, and impresses them - since they know most people from the US don't speak Japaneese. To write out a petition in Japaneese means you have more dedication than jus some casual signer. If you're that dedicated, it means you'll probably follow through with your end of the request by buying the product. And for every one person with that kind of dedication who signs the petition - there's 10 more out there with the same dedication who don't even know about the petition.

Basically, you're going to have to try to impress the company you're writing to. That means, if you want anything done, you should probably get a snail mail letter campaign going on. Written in Japaneese, addressed to the right people, and courteous - no threats or malice should be included. Copy-Paste letters are also frowned on.. they should each be written by the individual as a personal letter.

Also remember that shit rolls downhill. If you're not making any progress petitioning one group of people - try petitioning their superiors. Expecially stock-holders. They're a bit easier to sway, and companies will listen to them long before they'll ever listen to you.

BTW: Sega of America is a puppet company. They have no real control on products developed by SOJ. A petition to them would be a waste of time.

OriginalLacan
Jan 14, 2004, 09:46 PM
just a side note;

Contrary to popular belief in america, English is not a cryptic code indecipherable to the japanese. Many higher level executives have a useable command of the english language, and even if they don't, they have high paid translators that do just that. Translate.
Chosen language in a petition does not matter because it will not reach anyone capable of making decisions. Companies only understand one thing; Money. And until money is lost in large amounts, they do not care.

Regarding HL pricing, it will never be the same across the world because of numerous factors, including wage of employees, land prices, business tax, and plain old supply and demand along with a 100 other reasons.

_Sinue_
Jan 14, 2004, 11:21 PM
Yes, I realize that many of the higher ups at Sega can, in fact, read and speak english very well. I understand that they have translators also. The point is, you're trying to impress them. Putting the petition in their native language (expecially if it isn't yours) is just one way to help accomplish that goal.

I dunno about you, but I've been in at least two successful petitions. (Three if this LSL petition pans out) However, even though they've both succeeded.. they were also followed up by a snail-mail campaign and were both fairly highly organized efforts. A simple online petition probably won't do much. Can you imagine how many of these any given company gets per day? They're as easy to get rid of as hitting the delete key. Now, if you start cramming the desks of supervisiors, designers, programmers, CEOs, Presidents, and Stockholders full of physical hand-written letters every day - your request is a little more difficult to ignore.

Companies only understand one thing; Money. And until money is lost in large amounts, they do not care.

Which is why you have to appeal to those who have the money. If you can convice them that it's a good idea to listen to your request, you'll have an ally on your side. They don't have to be necessarily actively LOOSING money, but you can convice them that they ARE loosing vast amounts of money in potential income - and they will take action. There's a video my supervisors wanted me to watch at work not too long ago called "The Four Forms of Waste". While it's subject matter has no relevance to online petitions, it did help show me how a company (at least, an Amerian company) looks at the loss of potential income as equally as bad as a loss of actual income. Even if they make a small profit, the difference between what they DID make - and what they COULD be making.. is seen as a loss in profit.

As I said earlier, shit rolls downhill. Addressing a letter or petition to a general "Sega of Japan" or "To whom it may concern" address won't do much good. It'll get sorted out and disposed of before it get's to the intended hands. If you can get it to someone who makes the decisions.. and get them concerned.. then you are making progress - as they'll light a fire under the asses of those working below him to get something done about it.

In my own company, I've seen countless assinine procedures put in place (even if for a breif time) because a few people got smart and mailed the owner of the company directly - while thounds of other requests get a generic automated response or simply thrown in the garbage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-01-14 20:36 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 15, 2004, 12:12 AM
On 2004-01-14 16:10, _Sinue_ wrote:
BTW: Sega of America is a puppet company. They have no real control on products developed by SOJ. A petition to them would be a waste of time.

Not exactly. The US PSO servers are operated in the United States by Sega of America. Just the same, the EU PSO servers are operated in Europe by Sega of Europe. If you want improvement in the service being given, then you petition those companies.

Though, on the other hand, it occurs to me that if I'm wrong, and all the servers are operated out of Japan, by Sega of Japan, that would greatly explain increased HL prices and lag for Europeans.

_Sinue_
Jan 15, 2004, 12:46 AM
They are all operated out of Japan. Always have been. That's how their able to reliably coordinate the server shutdowns and updates.

Evangelius
Jan 15, 2004, 01:25 AM
Someone know the website Japonese on pso in english ? or website italien dutch etc . . . ?

opaopajr
Jan 15, 2004, 06:41 AM
_Sinue_ is a 100% correct. in the real world this is how business and complaints are handled. in fact there's an adage around the political community that goes like this:

"Each email represents, in all likelyhood, 1 or less than one person; each phone call/fax represents maybe 10 people, each pre-fab letter equals about the same; each individually created typed letter equals between 100-1000 people; each individually created hand written letter almost always equals 1000."

reason why? because the amount of effort that goes into making them. emails and phones are easy, pre-fab letters are not much more difficult. personal letters, especially of the handwritten kind, are considered like personalized trophies or hand grenades.

if you really want to impress them handwrite a business class letter, preferrably on carbon copy (so they know there's more than one out there), type out the said letter so people can read your writing, be polite but firm, and state clearly that a copy of each letter is being sent to not only them, but their superiors as well, in an effort to bring a solution. have it translated, if possible done and notorized by a professional translator, and send with love to the land of the rising sun. That sort of effort would be the equivalent of 1000 people at least, most likely more. as always you send the originals never the carbons and photocopies.

sending a copy to shareholders would be a last resort in my thinking, but since you should have your dated carbons and photocopies it would be easy to make another letter with the previous info attached - but only if you were outright dismissed for 2 months or so.

the pen really is more mighty than the sword, you just need to know how to use it.

Jack
Jan 15, 2004, 08:06 AM
The servers aren't located and run in Japan, what would be the point of that? You would be able to tell by the lag you get. I get a lag of about half a second on US servers, and a full second on JP servers. The EU servers are instantaneous.

Evangelius
Jan 15, 2004, 12:46 PM
60 votes passed.

Evangelius
Jan 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
100 votes passed.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 16, 2004, 12:48 PM
On 2004-01-14 21:46, _Sinue_ wrote:
They are all operated out of Japan. Always have been. That's how their able to reliably coordinate the server shutdowns and updates.

Give me some documentation on that. I do doubt that they would operate EU servers out of Japan. It'd be terribly inefficient. Remember, travel time does VERY much matter over the internet. A person in Europe with a stable broadband connection will ALWAYS download considerably faster from a server half a mile away than from an identical server in Japan. This is why I doubt Sonic Team would operate all continents' servers from Japan. They're not as dumb as some people here would like to think.

Then again, they DO allow people from all continents to play on any server, and the distance would explain why EU players complain about their servers being so laggy. I can't imagine getting from Europe to Japan in under 20 hops.

Even still, I'd like to see some documentation on who runs the servers for each continent.

Evangelius
Jan 16, 2004, 03:49 PM
The japan lag too. USa i dont know before never goes on it.

120 voted, it insufisant. I need to found a japan website. and european website.

Sorry if my reply it not very complete, i have probleme for understand all yours sentences with my horrible Englsih http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif. Speak english for me, it just a dream lol.

Jack
Jan 16, 2004, 03:56 PM
On 2004-01-16 09:48, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Then again, they DO allow people from all continents to play on any server, and the distance would explain why EU players complain about their servers being so laggy. I can't imagine getting from Europe to Japan in under 20 hops.

The recent lag was a server problem. I live in the UK, use 512k DSL, and the EU servers are instantaneous with message sending and item dropping. It's like playing offline.

_Sinue_
Jan 17, 2004, 12:49 AM
The information about the server locations is not online anymore. It was part of the old Dricas page where you paid for your Hunter Licence. If you bought the US version of v.2, you paid with a CC (which automatically converted your payment to Yen).. but anyone who imported v.2 can probably give you horror stories on how awkward Dricas was to deal with, and (if they can read JP) might be able to confirm it for you. Each server has it's own seperate login.. one of the US, EU, JP territories. The logins, and the servers, are both located in Japan.

It's also how they were able to switch out ships and servers so easily. As Ep II came closer to launch.. v.1 and v.2 ships began being cannabalized. In fact, some of the US ships were playing on are just DC ships that were converted over. This is also why, when DC ships and logins would go down for weeks at a time - calls to SOA would be met with a "We'll look into it" and nothing more. They couldn't do anything about it.. jus peition SOJ to fix the problem. Remember when Sega accidentally BANNED everyone on PSO and the waiting line for getting reactiviated was like.. 3 to 4 days? If the servers and logins were local to the US, you'd think their accounting department could have it taken care of in 24 hours. They couldn't.. because they were doing was sending a list of people's SN & AK's to SOJ who was in charge of reinstating accounts.

To make the conversion process easier, updates and patches more fluid, and to keep Dricas happy - they kept everything located in Japan.

This is also part of why PSOX doesn't have as many updates to their game - because it's vastly more cumbersome to write up the patch, send it over to SOA, who then transfers it to MS, and they impliment it when they have the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-01-16 21:55 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Jan 17, 2004, 05:29 AM
I signed it...

Zaneatron
Jan 17, 2004, 01:38 PM
also think about the cost of linking 3 seperate servers over 3 seperate continents. it would be very costly to provide a good service that way. so having them in maybe 3 seperate rooms in some Sega Building in Japan would be a lot more easier to set up and cheaper than lots of looooooong cables and expensive wiring. not that there would be a cable running all the way from europe or the USA to japan.

also maybe the EU servers were laggy because they were poorly maintained. these are servers, and need physical maintenance after a while. to begin with there were no problems with the EU ships and lag. maybe theyre slow because some of the components in these servers were replaced with cheaper parts or are used for longer before replacement?

Evangelius
Jan 18, 2004, 03:14 PM
Up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

Evangelius
Jan 19, 2004, 03:57 PM
UP http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

I have find a website italian so now italian vote too. But i have difficulty for find other website of other nationality if someone have time for look for and do pub it will be cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Evangelius
Jan 21, 2004, 07:42 AM
:up:

Jack
Jan 21, 2004, 08:16 AM
Stop bumping, or this'll get locked.

opaopajr
Jan 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
essentially in the end it doesn't even matter where the servers are located.

remember, the real power in sega is held in japan. why bother powerless functionaries in a server room when you can bother the movers and the shakers who make the real decisions? it's like screaming at a retail clerk for a company's return policy. pointless.

make this actually mean something and send it to SoJ, printed and translated, and with a written letter. Might as well make your effort mean something.

Evangelius
Jan 22, 2004, 11:52 AM
150 votes passed.

I dont arrive to find website for do publicity http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Evangelius
Jan 23, 2004, 12:50 PM
sorry fr the "up".

There are only american player on this website ?