PDA

View Full Version : Blah Blah Blah:DBZ :: Restate the Obvious Over and Over:Yu-G

Reenee
Jan 22, 2004, 07:45 PM
DBZ is a plotless mishmash. Endless talk that goes nowhere.

YGO at least has something that resembles plot, but suffers something similar to DBZ: the characters restate the same damn thing 3 times over before continuing on. Worse yet is that the statements come back a few minutes later or into the next episode.

Wow. I mean...jeez. This is even worse than putting in trash-talk. I can't see what the creator was thinking. Yes, it's aimed at kids, but...come on, take out the repetitiveness and you get something a bit fast-paced. Pokémon does things better.

And I'm just bored at 4:30 p.m. Hentai hunting makes me sleepy. -.-;; That's why the TV is on.

Sord
Jan 22, 2004, 07:49 PM
DBZ: Lot of talk in the middle of battles, but other then the talk, is relatively good and does have a plot, it just isn't spead along.

YGO: My egyption god card will defeat your egyption god card because my egyption god card is stronger than your egyption god card; therefore, my egyption godcard will de...SHUT THE *censorrrrrrrrrrrrr* UP!!!

Saiffy
Jan 22, 2004, 07:51 PM
i shall increase my power level by screaming and destroy this rant!! Mwahahahaha!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Skuda
Jan 22, 2004, 08:25 PM
I will play this card that doesn't work the way it is suppose to beacuse this is a TV show! I'm on TV, I don't need to play by the rules!

JedahNSonans
Jan 22, 2004, 08:28 PM
Hey, you have a Sonans in your sig too? Let's be special friends!

Sord
Jan 22, 2004, 08:38 PM
On 2004-01-22 17:28, JedahNSonans wrote:

I thought those were Wabofets...must be Japanese. Now pokemon, there is an anime with out a plot! Anime's are so great compared to US shows because they all form one big story, and episodes raarely break off of the plot. While Pokemon, you could watch one episode and then watch on 30 episodes later and you'de think it came right after. Pokemon 5|_|><0/2z!

Note: When i use leet in these cases, it means i think it stronger than can be put to words.

JedahNSonans
Jan 22, 2004, 09:37 PM
Pkmn does have one big story. Well, several broken up over the series. And it will never suck as long as
|
V is in it.

Shimarisu
Jan 22, 2004, 09:40 PM
On 2004-01-22 17:38, Sord wrote:

On 2004-01-22 17:28, JedahNSonans wrote:

I thought those were Wabofets...must be Japanese. Now pokemon, there is an anime with out a plot! Anime's are so great compared to US shows because they all form one big story, and episodes raarely break off of the plot. While Pokemon, you could watch one episode and then watch on 30 episodes later and you'de think it came right after. Pokemon 5|_|><0/2z!

Note: When i use leet in these cases, it means i think it stronger than can be put to words.

Pokemon does have several ongoing backplots, doofus. If just happens that they choose to concentrate more on quick-fire gags and in-jokes aimed at gamers. It's most comparable to gag manga. Gag manga is joke filled manga with little to no character progression. The best manga Toriyama ever did was Dr. Slump, a gag manga. Can you honestly say DBZ is better because it has a story that follows on from episode to episode?

Pokemon is awesome because it's the only kid's anime that knows the formula is shit, and is therefore self parodial.

I could quote Glustar's pre-battle taunt - PSO ep 3 (also self parodial in places) - "How many more times do we have to do this?"

- Shimarisu

navci
Jan 23, 2004, 02:31 AM
I could quote Glustar's pre-battle taunt - PSO ep 3 (also self parodial in places) - "How many more times do we have to do this?"

Completely off-topic.
I love Glustar.

I am sorry. I am having too much physical pain to be able to respond in a sensible way..... but Dr. Slump rulez also.

... *falls over*

Skuda
Jan 23, 2004, 11:23 AM
Navi, they should make a pointless anime after you. I'd watch that for sure!

anwserman
Jan 23, 2004, 11:43 AM
I try to avoid any show that has anime roots that appears on American TV.... Digimon was an exception, until they ruined it. Those Black Gears were the best. Anyway... hmm.

The actors suck, the plots are relatively stupid, and the whole thing about the cards ring true, or how they repeat everything.

"I think I'll say this stuff over and over and flail my arms really fast and get bulgy eyes with sweat flying from my face, that will be really funny! AGAIN!"

Sigh.

800 posts too! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

navci
Jan 23, 2004, 02:16 PM
On 2004-01-23 08:23, Scott_Kuda wrote:
Navi, they should make a pointless anime after you. I'd watch that for sure!

I don't know whether to feel honoured or insulted.

Speaking about Digimon. I watched a bit of it when I am here, and went home and watched a bit of the original. Then I figured the North American version has re-written the dialogue so much none of that make sense. In the original people actually had personality, so even when they are repeated stuff over and over again, at least you got some nice interaction going on. Not to mention very good music. Ya. I blame the localization and presuming all audiences have no brains.

Mixfortune
Jan 23, 2004, 02:40 PM
On 2004-01-23 11:16, navi wrote:
the localization and presuming all audiences have no brains.

That right there is the creation of most of the problems. The original anime itself was probably not that bad, but when it's localized and turned into something from Nick Jr., that's when we get the problems. However, I'm not saying the original was good or bad, as I have not seen either one in this case, but I've seen it happen to a few other series.

Bradicus
Jan 23, 2004, 03:40 PM
YGO... i saw one episode involving henchmen chasing down a lad by the name of Kaiba (sp). The pistols that the henchmen were holding got airbrushed out, resulting in a bizarre hand position. The Kiaba guy (not sure if it is a last name or not) kicked the hand of an incoming thug. I don't remember the exact speech, but it involved the thug screaming "aaah! you kicked my hand. Oh. My hand." while he searched the floor for a gun that did not exist :/

never watched the show again.

Robo47
Jan 23, 2004, 11:07 PM
Agumon go! Warp Digi-volve!

Patamon! You Digivolve and use that crazy fist laser that beat the shit out of the Devil dude!

Yes, I have watched the entire first season, then in 23and4 it sucked ass.

Bradicus
Jan 23, 2004, 11:10 PM
On 2004-01-23 20:07, Robo47 wrote:
Patamon! You Digivolve and use that crazy fist laser that beat the shit out of the Devil dude!

I'll Stop You, Aheee!

I still remember that :/

KodiaX987
Jan 23, 2004, 11:14 PM
I rock because I watch FANSUBS!!! ;P Muahahahaha!

But man, that gun airbrush thing is rich. Another reason I don't watch Americanized shit.

Bradicus
Jan 23, 2004, 11:17 PM
On 2004-01-23 20:14, KodiaX987 wrote:
I rock because I watch FANSUBS!!! ;P Muahahahaha!

But man, that gun airbrush thing is rich. Another reason I don't watch Americanized shit.

Dont make me shoot you boy! *pulls out two way radio*
what the fuck?

JedahNSonans
Jan 23, 2004, 11:33 PM
HK DVD rips aren't good enough to be called fansubs, sorry.

LamerPanda
Jan 24, 2004, 01:03 AM
I thought those were Wabofets...must be Japanese

SOOOOOOONANSU.

Pokemon does have a plot, but there's many many many filler episodes in between with some sort of:

- Hero of the day, or
- Pokemon of the day

As well as things that reoccur either often or in every episode:

- Several episodes featuring some filler character (Richie, Todd/Snap)
- Jigglypuff the musical plot device
- Team Rocket blasting off agaaaiiiiiin

Does it follow a pretty simple formula most of the time? Yep! Does it change? Not much, they switch characters around sometimes (Brock to Tracey and then back, Misty to Haruka/May) but otherwise every episode basically has Ash saving the day unless he's involved in a league battle or something, in which case it gets dragged out several episodes and *then* he saves the day...

...except sometimes, he doesn't. Lost the Indigo League. When was the last time the main characters on DBZ lost?

Pokemon is a pretty simple show, but it still manages to be pretty good, if you appreciate such things. They repeat things sometimes, but I think they did a much better dubbing job than Yu-Gi-Oh/DBZ. o_0

Sord
Jan 24, 2004, 01:15 AM
On 2004-01-23 22:03, LamerPanda wrote:

I thought those were Wabofets...must be Japanese

SOOOOOOONANSU.

Pokemon does have a plot, but there's many many many filler episodes in between with some sort of:

- Hero of the day, or
- Pokemon of the day

As well as things that reoccur either often or in every episode:

- Several episodes featuring some filler character (Richie, Todd/Snap)
- Jigglypuff the musical plot device
- Team Rocket blasting off agaaaiiiiiin

Does it follow a pretty simple formula most of the time? Yep! Does it change? Not much, they switch characters around sometimes (Brock to Tracey and then back, Misty to Haruka/May) but otherwise every episode basically has Ash saving the day unless he's involved in a league battle or something, in which case it gets dragged out several episodes and *then* he saves the day...

...except sometimes, he doesn't. Lost the Indigo League. When was the last time the main characters on DBZ lost?

Pokemon is a pretty simple show, but it still manages to be pretty good, if you appreciate such things. They repeat things sometimes, but I think they did a much better dubbing job than Yu-Gi-Oh/DBZ. o_0

I only like one episode of Pokemon, the one where clefarie steal stuff to make a rocket ship. I loved it when jigglypuff and clefable started bitchslapping each other.

Reenee
Jan 24, 2004, 01:45 AM
LamerPanda, forgive me for actually knowing how the show goes, but Misty's been in there from the start. She left to be replaced by May in the Hoenn region.

It's too bad we won't see the episodes where we see what happens to Brock and Misty when they return to their gyms. While Misty has to handle a berserk Gyrados, Brock's adventure seems rather funny to me when you see HIS ENTIRE FAMILY HAS THE SAME FACIAL EXPRESSION. And Brock's Dad's girlfriend wrecks the rock gym by making it a flowery...thing.

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 08:54 AM
The only Japanese Anime that I'm interested in is Robotech. Also, who knows what that Gotchaman stuff is?

undevil
Jan 24, 2004, 09:07 AM
Honestly I think yugioh is the worst piece of shit to ever be aired on TV. It is a remake of pokemon exept they go a step further and make the monsters pop out of cards instead of pokeballs.

Deathscythealpha
Jan 24, 2004, 09:22 AM
On 2004-01-24 05:54, Stormsworder wrote:
Also, who knows what that Gotchaman stuff is?

Isnt Gotchamon the japanese name for Battle of the Planets?

Yep, DBZ characters will repeat themselves to much. How many times do we have to here a Goku monologue abut how he has to keep fighting/get stronger so he can save all those he loves? But if you ignore lots of the crap, theres a show that is semi-bareable under all of it.Some of the movies are quite good, even if some do seem to have the same formula (starts out nice> new bad guy shows up> everyone gets beat >everyone fights back >everyone wins).

Yu-Gi-Oh on the other hand doesnt really have any redemable features in my eyes. I just couldnt get into a show where you watch people play a card game for half an hour (or an hour if its a two parter). Also the unbearable editing (yes, im sure people in japan threaten each other with a curled finger instead of a gun) really takes the biscuit.

I do recomend having a quick flip through the first volume of the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga though if you want to see how different it is from the series. I read a copy of it that a guy on my floor has, and i was surprised at how it was aimed at kids. Yu-Gi plays a game thats a variation on russian roulette using knives, manages to blow up another opponant and sets a guys crotch on fire. And thankfully no stupid card games.

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 09:31 AM
I was thinking Gotchaman was Gotcha Force. At least, I think it is.

LamerPanda
Jan 24, 2004, 09:50 AM
On 2004-01-23 22:45, Reenee wrote:
LamerPanda, forgive me for actually knowing how the show goes, but Misty's been in there from the start. She left to be replaced by May in the Hoenn region.

I'm aware of that. o_0

Misty to Haruka/May

As in, May replaced her.

Misread, or do you just like making assumptions and making me look bad? =D

Cowboy
Jan 24, 2004, 10:10 AM
I thought Misty loved ash ;_;...

Anyways, yeah, dbz goes way to slow yet way to fast at the same time....

Reenee
Jan 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
On 2004-01-24 06:50, LamerPanda wrote:

Misread, or do you just like making assumptions and making me look bad? =D

Both. CONCORDANTLY!

Bradicus
Jan 24, 2004, 11:08 AM
Digimon was the most formulaic show i have ever seen. Mat fights Tai (that is his name, right?). Innocent Digimon are in danger/digidestined are ambushed. *Gasp* a black gear! Digidestined come to save the day. A kid gets in trouble. The kid's Mon reaches the "new level". Izzy says "Wizard!". Badguy gets his ass kicked. Devimon (i think) schemes for next episode.
Much like power rangers, no?

I still enjoyed it, but that was a few years ago...

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 11:12 AM
I am pretty sure Gotcha Force is Gotchaman.

JedahNSonans
Jan 24, 2004, 12:47 PM
It's too bad we won't see the episodes where we see what happens to Brock and Misty when they return to their gyms. While Misty has to handle a berserk Gyrados, Brock's adventure seems rather funny to me when you see HIS ENTIRE FAMILY HAS THE SAME FACIAL EXPRESSION. And Brock's Dad's girlfriend wrecks the rock gym by making it a flowery...thing.

Kasumi's Gyarados is in AG 45 if you're really bothered, and if you want to see Takeshi's family, they're all in original series #5 except his mother.

Also, for the other guys, Gachaman = Battle Of The Planets, Gotcha Force = sub-par Capcom game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JedahNSonans on 2004-01-24 09:49 ]</font>

Sord
Jan 24, 2004, 01:57 PM
On 2004-01-24 06:22, Deathscythealpha wrote:

On 2004-01-24 05:54, Stormsworder wrote:
Also, who knows what that Gotchaman stuff is?

I do recomend having a quick flip through the first volume of the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga though if you want to see how different it is from the series. I read a copy of it that a guy on my floor has, and i was surprised at how it was aimed at kids. Yu-Gi plays a game thats a variation on russian roulette using knives, manages to blow up another opponant and sets a guys crotch on fire. And thankfully no stupid card games.

I read that in Shonen Jump, funny shit. Makes a guy think a bunch of trash is money and he starts rolling around in it and throwing it on himself,. Still gotta love the fire one though.

undevil
Jan 24, 2004, 02:18 PM
I actually like DBZ. Of course the amount of time spent on telling the bad guys that Goku has to win because they can't kill innocent people is annoying, but otherwise the whole concept of it is pretty cool. People powering up, that kind of thing.

Robo47
Jan 24, 2004, 02:23 PM
Omigod, I just remembered the Digimons names...

Greymon Garurumon Birdramon Kabuterimon and Ikkakumon
(Clever names huh?) Got tore up by Devimon. And Patamon finally reached the Champion level turning into Angemon and said a speach (Clever, eh Japan?) and did the "Hand of Fate" Which destroyed Devimon, but Angemon reverted back into an Egg. The kids go to a new island and now have the evil Rock and Roll monkey (Etemon) to fight. In the end Greymon Goes to his Ultimate level (Metalgreymon) And beats the shit out of Etemon.

Sord
Jan 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
On the whole digimon thing, i never saw the first episode, and i didn't like what i saw. However, i thought the movie was pretty good, I've seen it lots of times. I like the soundtrack, even if it's all digimon based.

Here's a funny story. When pokemon cards hit, they where a big thing. Well, one of my friends saw digimon, and figured that would be the next fad (he didn't know it came before pokemon) so he went out and bought a ton of digimon cards, and convinced a few friends to do so as well. They where never used.

undevil
Jan 24, 2004, 02:59 PM
The pokemon card days were great. Basically because EVERYONE I knew collected them. However, I was in the fifth grade at the time. I used to have all these rare cards. Everyone wanted to trade for them. Everyone thought Charizard was so hard to obtain. I had backups of a lot of rare cards, so I had two card carrier things. One of them I put all the cards I would never trade in, and the other one I put the duplicates in and ripped people off for more cards I didn't have. I was a master at ripping people off. I developed a lot of good skills during this period in time. I even lied to get cards I wanted. Fun days...

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 03:36 PM
Gotcha Force, the new and better Pokemon. I love getting new Gotcha Borgs. I have about 100 so far.

Firocket1690
Jan 24, 2004, 03:54 PM
On 2004-01-24 11:23, Robo47 wrote:

In the end Greymon Goes to his Ultimate level ([b]Skull[/i]Metalgreymon) And beats the shit out of Etemon.

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 04:01 PM
Believe it or not, I actually used to watch Digimon. (shudders) I don't remember Etemon, and I saw the whole first season. What does he look like?

Bradicus
Jan 24, 2004, 04:07 PM
On 2004-01-24 12:54, Firocket1690 wrote:

On 2004-01-24 11:23, Robo47 wrote:

In the end Greymon Goes to his Ultimate level ([b]Skull[/i]Metalgreymon) And beats the shit out of Etemon.

no. thats how he beats the evil greymon. Tai learns his lesson, and agumon manages to kick Etimon's ass in Metal Greymon form. Tai is transported to the real world by the resulting explosion. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 04:55 PM
OH! That episode.

Cowboy
Jan 24, 2004, 05:29 PM
The best part of that show was when BlackWarGreymon was around. That was the only emotional thing i saw in the series...

And i figured out why misty didnt stay. she didnt love ash, she just wanted to get in his pants.

Sord
Jan 24, 2004, 05:32 PM
On 2004-01-24 14:29, Tracon wrote:
And i figured out why misty didnt stay. she didnt love ash, she just wanted to get in his pants.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif probably wouldn't be to satisfied with the results http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Cowboy
Jan 24, 2004, 05:41 PM
thats why she left. and kinda off topic, i just found....... MY VIDEO OF POKEMON THE FIRST MOVIE!!!

i always cry when ash gets stoned... ;_;

Robo47
Jan 24, 2004, 06:03 PM
There was a Blackwargreymon?!!?!

Bradicus
Jan 24, 2004, 06:08 PM
On 2004-01-24 15:03, Robo47 wrote:
There was a Blackwargreymon?!!?!

wasn't he in the 2nd version... the one with the spires?

God, i just realised how much of that show i watched >_<

I even watched an episode of the new season this morning. At least i didn't know what the hell was happening.

Sord
Jan 24, 2004, 06:24 PM
my mom just got back from the store, guess what she bought...Digimon: The Movie. Honestly, my whole family (and me) really likes this movie for some reason.

Robo47
Jan 24, 2004, 06:30 PM
Because of Omnimon the kick-ass-inator?

That was so cool he had the Garurumon Cannon just annihalating those evil virus dude and then the final one got a Wargreymon Sword between the eyes.

Oh right! there was a Blackwargreymon! I just recalled watching season 2. Then I realized how much Digimon began to suck when they did the whole card thing in season 3 and the spirits in season 4.

Black000Moon
Jan 24, 2004, 06:38 PM
hack sign is the only good anime.....

Bradicus
Jan 24, 2004, 06:46 PM
On 2004-01-24 15:30, Robo47 wrote:
Because of Omnimon the kick-ass-inator?

That was so cool he had the Garurumon Cannon just annihalating those evil virus dude and then the final one got a Wargreymon Sword between the eyes.

Oh right! there was a Blackwargreymon! I just recalled watching season 2. Then I realized how much Digimon began to suck when they did the whole card thing in season 3 and the spirits in season 4.

i liked the cards better than 2... meh... the word "Takatomon" has such a nice ring to it.

i still cant believe i watched so much of this show http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Robo47
Jan 24, 2004, 08:29 PM
My cousin had the playstation battling Digimon game

Guilmons victory taunt was:

Takatomon... Are you hungry?

KaFKa
Jan 24, 2004, 08:57 PM
On 2004-01-24 15:38, Black000Moon wrote:

you sad, pathetic being...

Solstis
Jan 24, 2004, 09:04 PM

*Prepares his sacrificial knife*

DIE NON-BELIEVER!

Bradicus
Jan 24, 2004, 09:30 PM
On 2004-01-24 17:29, Robo47 wrote:
My cousin had the playstation battling Digimon game

Guilmons victory taunt was:

Takatomon... Are you hungry?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

*slaps self*
that wasnt funny...

Cowboy
Jan 24, 2004, 09:34 PM
Gunslinger girls kicks ass.

Stormsworder
Jan 24, 2004, 10:52 PM
I think my favorite Digimon was Magnaangemon. Either him or Angemon.

Robo47
Jan 24, 2004, 10:55 PM
Magnaangemon was only an Ultimate level but he easily kicked the crap out of a clown dude that was a higher level than him with that gate thingy. It was cool

undevil
Jan 24, 2004, 11:10 PM
On 2004-01-24 17:57, KaFKa wrote:

On 2004-01-24 15:38, Black000Moon wrote:

you sad, pathetic being...

I didn't realize people were pathetic for not liking any other anime's besides one...

That was just a pathetic post.

KodiaX987
Jan 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
I feel like causing a riot:

POKEMOON WING Z

Enjoy! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Stormsworder
Jan 25, 2004, 12:17 AM
I wonder if they will ever play the Macross Saga on TV again.

Cowboy
Jan 25, 2004, 02:28 AM
whats macross?