PDA

View Full Version : A heart-warming tale

Ratsmack
Feb 19, 2001, 08:23 PM
Turns out PSO hasn't been shot to shit by cheaters quite yet! I recently started two new chars, a FOnewm and a HUcast, and both times I started a low-level game a high-level came in and offered to help. They would let me take a swing at the enemies, then blast them to hell...or wherever the monsters go after melting into a puddle of green goo. Not only this, but they'd wait for me to grab all the goodies and make me a telepipe whenever I needed it. Yes, I know that sounds like not doing it myself, but it's not like I let them raise me to level 20 or something. Either way, it was very nice of them, and I offered one of them a free club of laconium if I found them when I went on my higher level char. People like that make me feel all warm and squisy inside...err...let's just pretend that didn't sound as queer as it does. Anyways, there may be a bunch of mean ol' cheaters, but there's still a bunch of nice players who will happily spend their game time helping out low levels.

Ambrai
Feb 19, 2001, 08:43 PM
Well as you know my sig says it all. Lv 32 is my highest char, so in my mind i am still a n00bie. Well 2 unnamed (dont want em to get spam telled) very kind people saw my requests to buy a double sabre. One emailed me saying that I can have it because its not about phat l33t (so true). So I was in a game the night we were to meet. Someone comes in, not the right name tho, and pulls me aside and says here! Take this Doublesabre. I was like, wow thanks! I thought it was the first person, but not until today did I relize there were 2 seperate people who were willing to give me a double sabre.

Dont give up on our community, we have some great people here!!

Danger_Girl
Feb 20, 2001, 05:16 AM
Sorry about that Ambrai, I was the one supposed to meet you. I should have been more specific about the place, I just said Puck servers. I looked for you, but....no luck. Anyway, someone beat me to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

For one I enjoy helping lower levels. It's kind of relaxing after a tuff days work in the ruins on v-hard. Plus I like showing off in front of newbies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif Hahahaha...just kidding. I'll be on Puck 9 see you there!

segagameplay
Feb 20, 2001, 05:29 AM
it is all about the money... im at almost 950000 meseta hoping to get a million

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 20, 2001, 09:14 AM
To Ambrai and Ratsmack:

Weren't you guys complaining about cheaters around here before? Don't you realize that what you do is nothing short of cheating yourselves? Whats the difference between receiving a Double Saber through a gameshark or as a gift from another player? You didn't earn it in either case. Same with the levels. If you just stand around taking single shots at monsters and then let some high levels do all the dirty work, did you earn those levels? I don't think so. You really have a strange sort of double moral going on there. And yes, when it comes to the levels I see the difference between jumping from 0-100 in a flash or just getting like 20 a little faster, but at the core it's still cheating. When it comes to the saber, I see no difference at all. In both cases you receive it out of thin air, without having earned it. I couldn't enjoy fighting with a whored Double Saber and I sure as hell wouldn't be proud of it. Funny though, that it was exactly you, Ambrai, who bitched about people gamesharking special weapons around here not too long ago. Oh and please don't take this as a personal insult, I'm just trying to make a point here.

Ambrai
Feb 20, 2001, 09:44 AM
No instult taken. I am highly against people creating weapons (if it is even proven that this can be done). The people you just insulted were the ones kind enough to pass their items along.

I have no problems accepting gear I CaWU from trusted sources. I, and probally many others will agree on me that none of the aforementioned is cheating in any sense of the word.

On high lv's helping lower lvs out, well I have 'earned' every lv I have, I am about 28 hours played on a lv 31 char (I talk too much). I also see no problem with helping lower lvs out, its a feature of the game that allows this.

I also mean no offence to you friend, but usualy the people who have issues with the aforementioned topics are the ones who feel slighted because noone has ever done anything kind for them. I don't blame them for feeling that way, just don't call others cheaters.

CpuProfessor
Feb 20, 2001, 09:50 AM
Gamesharking is different from giving items and/or trading. Part of the reason behind different section ID's was to inspire cooperation between players. Giving items (that you don't use) away is better than sending them to digital oblivion by selling them to a shop owner. Handing out items especially when done discreetly is nothing short of comeradie and good sportmanship.
GS'ing on the other hand is nothing short of single-minded indifference to the basic principles of gamers online. It's the equivalent of stealing from the candystore when you have money in your pocket.
So, yes we do flame cheaters, but high-levels' making low-levels' lives easier, we applaud! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

50volts
Feb 20, 2001, 10:09 AM
I strongly agree with cpu above. If you want to build a strong community you have to help eachother out. Not only does it mix up the more rare weapons among people (especially since they are found Pokemon style), but it also is a darn nice thing to do.

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 20, 2001, 10:12 AM
On 2001-02-20 06:44, Ambrai wrote:
I also mean no offence to you friend, but usualy the people who have issues with the aforementioned topics are the ones who feel slighted because noone has ever done anything kind for them. I don't blame them for feeling that way, just don't call others cheaters.[addsig]

Let me tell you a little story:

Some days ago, I played pso with two other, relative high lv, players. when we returned to town, after finishing a dungeon, one of them said something about really needing a monogrinder. So, since it was fun playing with them, I thought: fuck it, I have about 30 of them in the bank anyway, dropped one in front of the bank, told him it was there for him and went to the shop. After getting it the two (who seemed to know each other) called me out to bank and dropped down some stuff. Like, two rare weapons, a mag and some sort of cool Palasch. I took the Palasch, but the other stuff I left alone. Maybe I'm just letting my personal principles get the better of me, but personally, I just want to earn my own stuff, I just don't feel satisfied otherwise. I usually play with the same people I know from a certain message board and when we're in a dungeon and someone finds a normal weapon someone else can use, of course we give it to him, or even keep stuff we find playing on our own and give it to each other when we meet up next. What I'm talking about here is just walking up to strangers and asking them for "rare" rare weapons that you'll probably never meet again anyway. I know that if offered rare weapons to some of the people I play with, they would actually feel bad about it, like they were dependant on handouts or something. Just receiving a rare item from someone can never give you the same satisfaction or joy compared to finding it yourself in the ruins after defeating 4 Delsabers in hard mode just barely. A weapon obtained in that way, you can wield on the battlefield with pride.

As for leveling up newbies, when I did this yesterday with someone else, we actually came to the conclusion that it's a bad idea. Because if 2 lv 50 Characters kill off everything for them, they don't learn how to fight properly. They don't see the importance of healing, they don't know learn how to move on the battlefield, because they feel to secure. So basicly when you train newbies, teach them how to combo, tell them how to play their role best, teach them about enemy patterns and how to move, but let them fight their own fights. Else they will never learn to stand on their own. Give a man a fish and you will feed him for one day, teach him how to fish and you will feed him for the rest of his life.
This whole community thing is great, just keep things real, peace.

I was programmed according to the code of Bushido.
Better to die with honour, than to live in shame.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: The_Neon_Samurai on 2001-02-20 08:01 ]</font>

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 20, 2001, 12:53 PM
bump

RedVento
Feb 20, 2001, 01:18 PM
Ok, I'm not going to comment on helping out newbies, I have no real opinion about it. I play as much off-line as on, and only play online in VH - no newbies. But as to "earning items" from personal experience I can say that is near impossible to "earn" all the items you may want, I get so many visks it makes me sick, and lanconium clubs... jeeze I shoulda been a force. I traded for my justy, had no choice.. but I earned it just the same.. with as many hours as I've logged in 3 weeks (101) I've earned everything I've gotten. Just have to face it, there are some items we will never find, while others will find them constantly, if you get lucky enough to play with them, perhaps you have something they want, or maybe they are just really generous.. I keep a few items in the bank I'll never use so I can help someone else if needs be. My friend lost his inventory and I was able to help him out with a d-slayer, and whatchamacallits arm, plus some spare atomizers. Did he not earn it cause I gave them to him? Was it his fault the server crashed? People could argue about this till their blue in the face, opinions will rarely change, but don't sweat it and just worry about yourself.

Ambrai
Feb 20, 2001, 01:48 PM
Ok so the topic is mainly powerlving.

/agree with your concerns about them not having the nessicary skill to play the game and support their team. But 70% of the people I have met dont play their class properly anyway. This isnt Everquest and people dont sit around in circles discussing how their class should be played. They just go out and hit buttons.

In my experiance I have had higher lvs in my rooms hunting with us, but they always leave after an hour. It's not like I am on Hard-Ruins casting chain lightning and letting them do all the work.

In summary I think that this ends with the 'to each their own' phrase. You don't like taking handouts and letting other players buff you... Thats perfectly fine. All I ask is don't attack other players who don't have the same belifs as you. I believe that the community supports it's own and thrives from the companionship. It's all about helping each other.

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 20, 2001, 01:56 PM
Hmm, it seems you didn't get my point at all, Redvento, oh well.

BTW, one thing that I maybe didn't make too clear in my previous post is that of course I have no problem with trading at all. I mean you earned the stuff that you trade for the item you want, so that's cool.

I was programmed according to the code of Bushido.
Better to die with honour, than to live in shame.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: The_Neon_Samurai on 2001-02-20 10:59 ]</font>

Ayanami
Feb 20, 2001, 02:14 PM
Well I am Force, and I get quite a bit of weapons I don;t need. But getting such weapons, and then just selling them off, seems like such a total waste. They go into the bank where they sit till I find someone I know who can acually put it to good use. As for the cheating part... isn't item trading and giving an integral part of the PSO community? Wasn't it expected by sega to happen, or wouldn't they have some way deterred it?
It's a nice feeling making someone's day, so why not? ;D

Ratsmack
Feb 20, 2001, 07:27 PM
Crazy PSO world servers....oh well. I didn't get a chance to answer for myself. Now, then, Neon, how much is a dim wand worth to you? How about a dagger+2? 400, maybe 500 meseta. Thank you. You were talking about normal weapons given away freely? What did you THINK I was talking about? At level 5, I can hardly equip a club of laconium, can I? I got regular weaps from the people, but I was still thankful they gave anything at all. As for the leveling up to 100? It's a bit different when a higher level helps you kill monsters to get to about level 7 than to punch in a code and get to 100. It's not cheating, it's called, *gasp* ready yourself...helping others! What a scary concept, no? How many of you have let that android with the scythe in one of the first quests kill most of the monsters while you just sat back and threw in a shot every once and a while? Cheaters! Well...you are by Samurai's logic. Cheating and getting a little help is a COMPLETELY different thing. Someone giving Ambrai a double saber was a very kind act. It wouldn't have been if the guy had dropped twenty of the buggers and Ambrai had scooped 'em up. THAT'S cheating, that's the problem with cheating, an over-abundance of weapons. Now, a person who cheats only once to get themselves a single weapon I do not mind. I'm more focused on bashing the people who make fifty of the weapon and trade them for other weapons they can make fifty of. Anyways, the WHOLE POINT of my post, which you obviously missed, Samurai, was to show that there are still kind-hearted people in the community, not to spark yet another discussion about cheating.

ragnarok
Feb 20, 2001, 07:33 PM
The_Neon_Samurai, I feel you thoughts on your first post. When you declined those other items because you felt that you had to earn them yourself was very good of you. Then before that to help out a high level character by giving them one of your monogriners was especially nice. I just wanted to say that this is what the community should be like. Even though I do the same things, The_Neon_Samurai seems to me that he has experience in this world.

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 21, 2001, 09:09 AM
On 2001-02-20 16:27, Ratsmack wrote:
You were talking about normal weapons given away freely? What did you THINK I was talking about? At level 5, I can hardly equip a club of laconium, can I? I got regular weaps from the people,

I understood that perfectly well, I was just refering to the double saber.

This whole argument has completely propelled out of proportion. I was making a point about cheating - not helping each other. I help others all the time, just look at my aarrgghh post. We just have different outlooks on what cheating is. Ok so maybe I brought this on myself on myself for being a bit aggressive in my first reply, sorry, I wasn't feeling too good at the time. I'm giving stuff away all the time, I just don't like accepting it myself. Is wanting to stand on your own a bad character trait? Just yesterday someone offered me a dragon saber, which I declined as well. I have one last question though: Why do you guys think generating items via gs is a bad thing?

50volts
Feb 21, 2001, 10:12 AM
Generating items via GS is like Russia printing more money. It devalues the "coolness" of a weapon when everyone and their dog has it (my dog has a double saber btw). The whole point of the Section IDs was to keep item coolness devaluation in check. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif blah blah i go eat breakfast now.

RedVento
Feb 21, 2001, 12:15 PM
That's what I get for reading this at work.. non-comprehension. trying to uyse my brain for something though..... O well. On a side note though.. I found another consequence of helping someone.... Apperently while helping one person(giving items I can't use) and having a pretty good lvl (72) is an invitation for corpse looters.. The bastard followed me around until we got into a room full of Del-Sabres.. he lured the around me, and when I got cornered and ultimately died... ran out of TP, he simply waited for the delsabers to reset, ran in and grabbed my meteor smash.. then vanished like my last girlfriend after I tried anal on her...... O well.. Damn I liked that gun.. too bad I have never found one myself, got my fill of veristas though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif Luckily I can fall back on my trusty Soul Crusher, which seems to have no grinder limit, as it happily sucks down every one I give it.....