PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism says...

Shimarisu
Jan 31, 2004, 04:33 AM
That we should consider death early or face despair and insanity in old age.

I'm considering death early and facing such much earlier than I would if I just did the usual shit that people do and never think about it until they hit 60 or so.

Proof that buddhism is also a crock of shit.

- Shimarisu

Ness
Jan 31, 2004, 06:55 AM
All religion is a "crock of shit."

Inu_Ranma
Jan 31, 2004, 08:08 AM
Buddhism as a whole isn't a religion.

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 08:11 AM
I don't believe in god, Budha, or any of that crap.

I do believe that something happens to us when we die. Maybe decomposers that tear up our body die in the grass and cows eat us and then we turn into cow sperm and come out as cows?

Who knows.

Daikarin
Jan 31, 2004, 09:00 AM
Seriously Shim, if you're swearing about Buddhism is that you know nothing about it. And why worry about death? Geez. Read this:

Although with the emanation of these consciousnesses there is a division into "departments", they are all based upon mental discrimination. The eight consciousnesses are still basically one. To use an analogy, let us think of a room with seven light bulbs. You flick the light switch and seven distinct lights shine. Turn the switch to "off" and the lights disappear. Yet there is just one electric current, and its source is comparable to the storehouse consciousness, or, more fundamentally, the enlightened mind.

Death is like the severing of wires or a break in the switch so that the lights go out. Yet the electricity is unharmed. The generator is still generating and the electricity flows wherever the circuit is not broken.

Now think if it all ends when you finally go. Sure, these are all words, but seriously, are we really made to end like this?

EDIT: Never mind what I said about Buddhist perverts, I misunderstood those phrases http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2004-01-31 06:12 ]</font>

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 10:07 AM
Is athiesm a religion?

I don't really count it as a religion, but a belief.

Shimarisu
Jan 31, 2004, 10:20 AM
On 2004-01-31 06:00, New Ultimate wrote:
Seriously Shim, if you're swearing about Buddhism is that you know nothing about it.

I read tons about it when I was desperately seeking for a purpose to life 4 months ago. I didn't find one.

- Shimarisu

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 10:37 AM
You will never find a proper religion. They are all bullshit.

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 10:39 AM
I mean they say that god flooded the earth and made it rain for 40 days. Well, that is not physically possibly. And it is impossible that Noa went around the world, collected a male and female of every animal on the planet, put them on a boat, and lived while everything else on the planet drowned. Just think about it, it couldn't happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: undevil on 2004-01-31 07:39 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Jan 31, 2004, 10:42 AM
You do realise the meaning of "God", right? *sigh*
God isn't subject to time or the physical boundaries. :B

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 10:46 AM
Okay so you tell me there is a magical guy running around space flooding planets and creating animals.

Shimarisu
Jan 31, 2004, 11:11 AM
On 2004-01-31 07:46, undevil wrote:
Okay so you tell me there is a magical guy running around space flooding planets and creating animals.

The Bible is subject to interpretation. Or rather, the facts were subject to interpretation by the writers when they wrote it. There WAS a great flood, and very possibly a guy called Noah went around and put 2 of any animal he could find on a boat, then told everyone god had told him to do so. Then the floods came and half the people died, and the ones left said "THAT NOAH GUY WAS RIGHT!" Anyway, there was certainly a flood, evidence has been found of it, but it didn't cover the whole world.

You can also say the same about Jesus. He's in texts for other religions, Muslims and some Buddhists refer to his teachings. They just didn't take him seriously when he said "I am the son of god" because he ALSO said "We are all children of god."

Buddhism has no god figure. It's a philosophy rather than a religion. It's the most logical of the religions I guess, because it's about self improvement rather than worshipping a god-figure. They don't worship Buddha either, because the philosophy of Buddha was to improve yourself in your own right. One of the texts I read said "If you meet the buddha, kill him." (not literally obviously, it's one of the koans of zen) Because nobody else can be the buddha, only buddha, and he is long gone from this earth.

The only problem I have with buddhism is the whole rebirth thing. I want to believe it, but I'm a cynic and I can't believe anything that has no proof. If there WAS an afterlife though, being born into a new body is a lot easier to buy than flying up to heaven as a spirit. How the fuck do you exist without a body?

- Shimarisu

Daikarin
Jan 31, 2004, 11:20 AM
On 2004-01-31 07:20, Shimarisu wrote:
I read tons about it when I was desperately seeking for a purpose to life 4 months ago. I didn't find one.

You can only find a purpose in life by living your life and realising what you can do to your personal well-being and to the world's.

The religious texts, messages, bibles or whatever can only help you achieve your purpose, not determine what it is.

Daikarin
Jan 31, 2004, 11:30 AM
On 2004-01-31 08:11, Shimarisu wrote:
How the fuck do you exist without a body?

For that I'll need you to explain me what you consider to exist. IMO, if that means "To be alive" then I believe you're wrong.

Uncle_bob
Jan 31, 2004, 11:44 AM

Ok. There is a magical guy running around space flooding planets and creating animals. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hrith
Jan 31, 2004, 12:03 PM
On 2004-01-31 03:55, Ness wrote:
All religion is a "crock of shit."

On 2004-01-31 05:08, Inu_Ranma wrote:
Buddhism as a whole isn't a religion.
*reformulates*
All belief is a "crock of shit."

On 2004-01-31 07:42, Uncle_bob wrote:
Just like Uncle ? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Uncle_bob
Jan 31, 2004, 12:04 PM
On 2004-01-31 09:03, Kefka wrote:

On 2004-01-31 07:42, Uncle_bob wrote:
Just like Uncle ? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Yar. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

undevil
Jan 31, 2004, 02:14 PM
I still think the whole God concept it bullshit.

What I think happened was that in Europe or some country across the planet, before people developed brains, the only way that people could explain rain, natural disasters, ect, was by a being that lived in the sky (heavens). Then they needed to explain to themselves about death, so they thought that evil people went to burn forever (makes since as one of the punishments back then was burning) and good people went to heaven to live in peace for the rest of their lives.

It makes since why it could all be fake. People didn't know what went on a long time ago. They had to explain things somehow, and that made the most sense to them.

anwserman
Jan 31, 2004, 02:22 PM
On 2004-01-31 11:14, undevil wrote:
I still think the whole God concept it bullshit.

What I think happened was that in Europe or some country across the planet, before people developed brains, the only way that people could explain rain, natural disasters, ect, was by a being that lived in the sky (heavens). Then they needed to explain to themselves about death, so they thought that evil people went to burn forever (makes since as one of the punishments back then was burning) and good people went to heaven to live in peace for the rest of their lives.

It makes since why it could all be fake. People didn't know what went on a long time ago. They had to explain things somehow, and that made the most sense to them.

And when it thundered, it was god punishing them. When if flooded, god punished them. When there were droughts, god punished them.

And now god is pleased when people blow up gay bars and shoot abortion doctors. Man, isn't God evil?

Note: I was referring to the old belief in God in the first part, and then I was talking about the new extreme belief in God in the second part. Sad...

Inu_Ranma
Jan 31, 2004, 02:47 PM
On 2004-01-31 08:11, Shimarisu wrote:

Buddhism has no god figure. It's a philosophy rather than a religion. It's the most logical of the religions I guess, because it's about self improvement rather than worshipping a god-figure. They don't worship Buddha either, because the philosophy of Buddha was to improve yourself in your own right. One of the texts I read said "If you meet the buddha, kill him." (not literally obviously, it's one of the koans of zen) Because nobody else can be the buddha, only buddha, and he is long gone from this earth.

The only problem I have with buddhism is the whole rebirth thing. I want to believe it, but I'm a cynic and I can't believe anything that has no proof. If there WAS an afterlife though, being born into a new body is a lot easier to buy than flying up to heaven as a spirit. How the fuck do you exist without a body?

- Shimarisu

Thank you for saying much which I probably would have had to. ^_^

If you aren't a fan of the rebirth writings in Buddhism I highly reccomend that you check out some of the more secular writings, most of which can be found from modern Zen. The writs of reincarnation in Buddhism are not a product of original Buddhism but are instead a product of one of its later mutations, known as Pure Land Buddhism, from which most of the modern sects of Buddhism evolved, due to the fact that it is the school which created the schools which took over China and eventually leaked to Japan and took over there too. Despite its origins, Zen has fissioned off from Pure Land in the last century or so and has been adapted to be an extremely useful secular philosophy for modern culture. This is why, in the United States (especially in CA), you can find tons of Christian Buddhists, Moslem Buddhists, Atheistic Buddhists, Agnostic Buddhists, etc. It has become, once again, a philosophy in the purest form to those people who follow it. I think it's kinda cool (That being why I am, myself, a Zen Buddhist. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Inu_Ranma on 2004-01-31 13:46 ]</font>

Guile
Jan 31, 2004, 03:01 PM
I'm not one of those people that want to live to 100, It'd be nice to see the world change in that time but to much shit to deal with mentally and psyically.

geewj
Jan 31, 2004, 09:37 PM

You can't prove that there isn't. No one can make any valid argument about anything so their view is just as justifiable as yours is.

The only possibly valid argument that anyone can make is that they don't know.

Daikarin
Jan 31, 2004, 09:41 PM

How can you justify that? =P

geewj
Jan 31, 2004, 09:43 PM
On 2004-01-31 18:41, New Ultimate wrote:

How can you justify that? =P

I can't, but you can't justify anything either so it kind of justifys it's self.

Then again, I don't know.

undevil
Feb 1, 2004, 12:42 AM
I still don't see how a god is possible.

geewj
Feb 1, 2004, 01:08 AM
On 2004-01-31 21:42, undevil wrote:
I still don't see how a god is possible.

Of course you don't. You don't know anything about how it would or wouldn't work. All anyone can do is assume and speculate.

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 01:12 AM
Not necessarily, Frink, there's always the choice to let religion and non-religion not interfere with your life whatsoever, in which case both questions (summing all up to two) become utterly irrelevant.

And I'm saying that to a God http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
Well, I do believe in yoo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

geewj
Feb 1, 2004, 01:15 AM
On 2004-01-31 22:12, Kefka wrote:
Not necessarily, Frink, there's always the choice to let religion and non-religion not interfere with your life whatsoever, in which case both questions (summing all up to two) become utterly irrelevant.

And I'm saying that to a God http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
Well, I do believe in yoo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And what color James dyes his hair color tonight is also irrelevent to you, but that doesnt make it non-existant.

I wasn't saying anything was relevent, I was saying that nobody knows anything about it.

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 01:37 AM
On 2004-01-31 22:15, Prof_Frink wrote :
And what color James dyes his hair color tonight is also irrelevent to you, but that doesnt make it non-existant ?
err, yes, absolutely :S if I do not know someone, then it is EXACTLY the same to me that if he did not exist.
What did you mean ?

geewj
Feb 1, 2004, 02:58 AM
On 2004-01-31 22:37, Kefka wrote:

On 2004-01-31 22:15, Prof_Frink wrote :
And what color James dyes his hair color tonight is also irrelevent to you, but that doesnt make it non-existant ?
err, yes, absolutely :S if I do not know someone, then it is EXACTLY the same to me that if he did not exist.
What did you mean ?

Well that logic means that none of us existed until we came into contact with you. Weither you were aware of it or not, James did dye his black.

Anyways, thats not a point of view I totaly agree with either.

I still stand by the fact that no one can prove anything.

derBauer
Feb 1, 2004, 05:43 AM
On 2004-01-31 22:08, Prof_Frink wrote:
All anyone can do is assume and speculate.

You don't know that, there might be someone that knows for a fact God exists.

undevil
Feb 1, 2004, 09:21 AM
On 2004-02-01 02:43, derBauer wrote:

On 2004-01-31 22:08, Prof_Frink wrote:
All anyone can do is assume and speculate.

You don't know that, there might be someone that knows for a fact God exists.

There isn't.

JedahNSonans
Feb 1, 2004, 10:02 AM
There is a god, Hayama Akito be thy name.

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 12:59 PM
On 2004-01-31 23:58, Prof_Frink wrote:
Well that logic means that none of us existed until we came into contact with you.
To me yes, I do not see how it can be otherwise http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

How am I supposed to be aware of something's existence I have never been told about ? I cannot imagine it, obviously.

Until the following sentence you were not aware that I have a little 22 year-old bro I love to bits, now you are. He's been existing for a few minutes for you, for 22 years for me.

Daikarin
Feb 1, 2004, 01:50 PM
On 2004-02-01 09:59, Kefka wrote:

On 2004-01-31 23:58, Prof_Frink wrote:
Well that logic means that none of us existed until we came into contact with you.
To me yes, I do not see how it can be otherwise http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

How am I supposed to be aware of something's existence I have never been told about ? I cannot imagine it, obviously.

Until the following sentence you were not aware that I have a little 22 year-old bro I love to bits, now you are. He's been existing for a few minutes for you, for 22 years for me.

Just because you're not aware doesn't mean it doesn't exist right? Think of the TV. You can only assist to one channel at a time, but that doesn't mean the others don't exist.

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 02:09 PM
The TV is a bad example since I am aware of what's going on, you're not proving me wrong in any way :S
I'm not saying I'm right, this is pure logic, and you do not seem to read my replies, and instead hurry to yours.
Not being able to think about something is the same as non-existence.