PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards

Omni-SqwirL
Feb 2, 2004, 01:59 PM
I really don't get it. I see "God D***" and "F*** God" all over this messageboard and no one seems to care. But if someone says something about how a certain other religion was stupid and sucked then they would be flamed. Why is this? Some people get yelled at for abbreviating Japanese, but nothing at all happens to those that say a direct insult to ones religion.

I find it offensive as well as a few other people. Mods, do something about it.

Other words don't bother me, but GD is highly offensive in any form.

Hrith
Feb 2, 2004, 02:04 PM
All religions and beliefs are equally worthless to me, but you will never see me insulting the religion itself.

Omni-SqwirL
Feb 2, 2004, 02:11 PM
That's almost exactly the point I was trying to make to a certain degree. I will never make fun of another religion at all, I only follow mine. No bashing involved.

Scenario: If I insulted Atheism, I would get flamed. But let's say, instead of that, I say GD. Nothing happens.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 2, 2004, 02:37 PM
On 2004-02-02 11:11, Omni-SqwirL wrote:
That's almost exactly the point I was trying to make to a certain degree. I will never make fun of another religion at all, I only follow mine. No bashing involved.

Scenario: If I insulted Atheism, I would get flamed. But let's say, instead of that, I say GD. Nothing happens.

So how should one refer to your deity then. Nm, I just did. lol. But seriously, insults only really work if there is an element of truth behind it. Truth hurts more than anyone cares to admit. If it offends you that much, perhaps you have some issues about it?? Who knows. But I do agree that one should try to give neutral answers as much as possible, it is a way to avoid "insulting" anyone elses beliefs, ideas, gender, etc ect...

KodiaX987
Feb 2, 2004, 03:25 PM
Cursing != insulting one's religion. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Case closed.

ABDUR101
Feb 2, 2004, 05:42 PM
You're taking some of it out of context entirely.

"God Damn" is more or less a phrase, like "For shit's sake" and so on. More often than not it has nothing to do with God at all, and is just used to show exclamation, as most swearing is. In other words, it's not directly flaming anyone's belief.

Swearing is tolerated as long as it's not excessive.

Thats how I've been viewing it anyway.

undevil
Feb 2, 2004, 06:47 PM
On 2004-02-02 10:59, Omni-SqwirL wrote:
I really don't get it. I see "God D***" and "F*** God" all over this messageboard and no one seems to care. But if someone says something about how a certain other religion was stupid and sucked then they would be flamed. Why is this? Some people get yelled at for abbreviating Japanese, but nothing at all happens to those that say a direct insult to ones religion.

Oh god, I thought the tree huggers were bad. This is just pathetic.

Anyways, I will use gods name in vein all I want. I don't believe in god, so god can suck on a metal rod.

ABDUR101
Feb 2, 2004, 07:42 PM
Oh and you contradicted yourself

But if someone says something about how a certain other religion was stupid and sucked then they would be flamed.

Some people get yelled at for abbreviating Japanese, but nothing at all happens to those that say a direct insult to ones religion.

Ness
Feb 2, 2004, 09:19 PM
Dude, don't censor out your own words; it doesn't make them less offensive.

Anyway, I've said plenty of bad thing aobut other religions on this board and I have yet to be flamed for it, but I usually say them around people who are capable of accepting the opinions of others.

Omni-SqwirL
Feb 2, 2004, 11:34 PM
All I wanted to see was some sort of respect for one's belief and values, but that can rarely be found here anymore. Afterall, I take everyone's else opinions into consideration and I'm not holding any grudge. It was only for a topic that is to be put out in the open.

I shall leave this "minor situation" to everyone else.

KodiaX987
Feb 2, 2004, 11:55 PM
Every religion has its own set of curse words. Christians curse, Islams curse, hell, even Bhuddists curse! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Feb 3, 2004, 12:18 AM
ok, it's not a double standard. It's simple, you either let what everyone else says annoy the hell out of you and get offended, or, you turn the other cheek(Sounds familiar) and just move on.

We correct people if it gets out of hand, because everyone deserves respect no matter what they believe, just as much as we expect maturity from everyone.

If someone is saying something that offends you, pm a mod. We're not going to edit every "God Damn", but we'll look into it if someone is directly insulting or discriminating.

Hrith
Feb 3, 2004, 01:11 AM
On 2004-02-02 20:55, KodiaX987 wrote:
Every religion has its own set of curse words. Christians curse, Islams curse, hell, even Bhuddists curse! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
You have to factor in language, English is quite fond of expressions -- good or bad -- involving religious references, French is not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kefka on 2004-02-02 22:11 ]</font>

InCognito
Feb 3, 2004, 02:41 AM
You have to look at the meaning of the words and what the person means by them, not just the lining up of letters and the word it forms.

For example "fuck." If I say "F this" I don't mean "have sex with this."

When someone says "God damn" they usually do not mean "God damn this accursed thing to eternal hellfire." If that WAS the intention, I could see how it would be taken personally. If it's not, and you're simply being offended by the words themselves, you need to step back and contemplate the modern meaning of words.

Armok
Feb 3, 2004, 04:38 AM
On 2004-02-02 10:59, Omni-SqwirL wrote:

I agree for once taking the lords name in vain is worse than most of the abuse give on this board

Ness
Feb 3, 2004, 07:20 AM
On 2004-02-02 22:11, Kefka wrote:

You have to factor in language, English is quite fond of expressions -- good or bad -- involving religious references, French is not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kefka on 2004-02-02 22:11 ]</font>

In Spanish, swearing is considered an art.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 3, 2004, 07:26 AM
On 2004-02-02 15:47, undevil wrote:
Oh god, I thought the tree huggers were bad. This is just pathetic.

See? Now that right there is probably more offensive to god than if I say 'God damn it'. And I'm not going to apologise for saying it. I shouldn't have to. If you are offended that we've got a long way to go. Just don't pay it any mind.

KodiaX987
Feb 3, 2004, 08:15 AM
On 2004-02-02 22:11, Kefka wrote:

Actually, the Canadian version of French has almost every curse word based on religion. We're notorious just for that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LollipopLolita
Feb 3, 2004, 02:11 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=73738&forum=11&34