PDA

View Full Version : Must get out of this area....

anwserman
Feb 10, 2004, 10:45 PM
Hahahaha, THIS IS THE REASON WHY I HATE THIS FUCKING AREA.

OK, for my operating systems class, we were learning how to customize the shutdown screens in Windows98, from the typical "Windows is now shutting down your computer" and "It is now safe to turn off your computer." Fine and dandy. Fine and dandy.

So, since I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I found a really nifty group picture, from Season 3, that I decided to use for the first screen. OK, everyone was impressed with that one. For the second one, I decided to use a picture of Willow and Tara kissing, since Tara is my favorite character on the show and I think of the relationship as something "special and heartwarming" then "lesbian."

Oh yes, goes to show that my thinking is the minority in the class.

"What the hell is that!"
"Oh my god, sick!"
"Holy shit!"
"There will be none of that kind of stuff in my class!"

Yes, that last one [quote] was from the professor. Sigh, I changed it to a picture of just Tara smiling. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Link00seven
Feb 10, 2004, 10:49 PM
Personally, I do not see why people cannot except people for who they are. It's the same shit in my high school, if you do something that doesnt fit, or isnt "cool" then you get picked on.

Mainstream socity, my friends, sucks.

anwserman
Feb 10, 2004, 10:51 PM
Well it wasn't even that.

It was more along the lines of the "violent outburst" towards a simple picture. Geez.

Sord
Feb 10, 2004, 10:51 PM
On 2004-02-10 19:45, anwserman wrote:

Your confusing, are you saying you liked it or not? I would've like it, had I seen it. Although it's kinda odd, most guys like to see lesbians, at least were i come from.

anwserman
Feb 10, 2004, 10:55 PM
On 2004-02-10 19:51, Sord wrote:

On 2004-02-10 19:45, anwserman wrote:

Your confusing, are you saying you liked it or not? I would've like it, had I seen it. Although it's kinda odd, most guys like to see lesbians, at least were i come from.

Yeah, I figured that too... most guys LIKE lesbians. Which I didn't understand considering that there are four guys in the class (including the professor.)

But the thing is, I'm not exactly attracted to females but I could care less - I thought think their relationship was heartwarming in the series - but I meant that... well, that I thought it was OK to have such a picture. But nope, even the guys found it disgusting.

KodiaX987
Feb 10, 2004, 11:08 PM
I would like to quote Robert Crub here:

"Yesterday, I was so mad at my wife that I sat on the side of the bed and jacked off just to show my independence."

navci
Feb 10, 2004, 11:22 PM
But nope, even the guys found it disgusting.

Peer pressure?
If one of them think its cool maybe then all the others will follow. As is, they prolly all just say that cuz they are too embarassed to tell that they are turned on by the scene. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Feb 10, 2004, 11:32 PM
Heh, I think the people who said "Eww, disgusting" are either naive and don't know about it, or just wanted to get a reaction from other people by making a scene.

Of course the teacher is going to make a scene if afew students start being disruptive about it. Not all teachers would, mind you. I've known afew who would have told them to grow up, and some who would have snickered and given a distasteful remark, but would have allowed it.

It's hit and miss really. Don't let it get you down. Heh, if I were in the class, I'd of had an anime pic thrown in, like from Hellsing, or "Jesus Christ is in Heaven Now" from Alucard's(Arucard) gun, and I'd of still gotten remarks because it's from an anime and thats geeeeeeeeky, or because of someone being offended by the quote.

In the end, don't feed into it. There's always going to be someone to make a scene about stupid stuff like that, and more often than not it's because they're too immature and feel the need to draw attention.

geewj
Feb 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
I would have put a picture of a man and woman kissing that was somewhat similar. And if the teacher didn't make me change that then call her on it.

And "It's my class." wouldn't work Mrs. Biggot.

KodiaX987
Feb 10, 2004, 11:56 PM
On 2004-02-10 20:22, navi wrote:
Peer pressure?
If one of them think its cool maybe then all the others will follow. As is, they prolly all just say that cuz they are too embarassed to tell that they are turned on by the scene. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

That gives me an idea.

Go to a public place where it's full of people, and yell "RON JEREMY!!" as if you're trying to call that person out. See how many heads turn. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

P.S.: Dunno who Ron Jeremy is? Search google and find out the disturbing truth!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

derBauer
Feb 11, 2004, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure why you felt the need to force a picture showing lesbians on them in the first place.

Their outrage was warranted.

All these what ifs about if the picture was showing a straight couple are completely irrelevant because straight people don't go around sticking "I'M STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in everyones face every chance they get.
--------
and drop the BS that you used that picture because you are a buffy fan, you showed it because you are a Buffy fan and you wanted to throw the lesbians in their faces. You could have shown 20 billion other pictures from the show, funny that was the one you decided upon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: derBauer on 2004-02-10 21:31 ]</font>

anwserman
Feb 11, 2004, 12:30 AM
On 2004-02-10 21:29, derBauer wrote:
I'm not sure why you felt the need to force a picture showing lesbians on them in the first place.

Their outrage was warranted.

All these what ifs about if the picture was showing a straight couple are completely irrelevant because straight people don't go around sticking "I'M STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in everyones face every chance they get.

I didn't. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
They looked at my monitor and... yeah, what I said above happened.

derBauer
Feb 11, 2004, 12:46 AM
Maybe you weren't sticking it in their faces. I had the impression you chose for that picture to be displayed to the class. If it was only on the machine you were working on, I feel that was not going overboard. In fact I would agree that whoever came over to make a big deal out of it were the ones going overboard.
There is a saying that says "don't wear your heart on your sleeve". You never know what good or bad can come out of it. Take things easy. Let people get to know YOU not your sexuality. If people know your sexuality and not you, things like what happened in class are what is going to happen.
With the exception of some wacky, shitbag, losers; people won't betray you because of your sexuality once they know you. At least I like to think people have enough honor to not betray a friend because of one difference.
Am I rambling? I'm tired. Hopefully I'm not pissing you off because I'm being honest.

Amiadon
Feb 11, 2004, 05:31 AM
Yeah, sexual prejudice is running rampant these days. I would have actually expected that, so...

Move ASAP, Anwserman.

Ness
Feb 11, 2004, 06:50 AM
If they are still teaching you to use Windows 98, then by all means get out of there!

Amiadon
Feb 11, 2004, 07:04 AM
Hold on... you say they taught you how to change the shut-down screen? Tell me! Oh... I hope it works for XP....

Daikarin
Feb 11, 2004, 07:10 AM
Well, if it makes you feel better, almost everyone back at my old high-school class laughed when I used to play Sonic on the PC.

And almost all were in Unreal Tournament while I was on PSO PC Beta.

And I won't even tell you about the time I brought my favorite mp3 to school.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Deathscythealpha
Feb 11, 2004, 09:37 AM
On 2004-02-10 20:56, KodiaX987 wrote:

Go to a public place where it's full of people, and yell "RON JEREMY!!" as if you're trying to call that person out. See how many heads turn. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

P.S.: Dunno who Ron Jeremy is? Search google and find out the disturbing truth!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Heh, being doing that around my flat for awhile now. The guys think its hilerious, the girls just get confused, go on Google, then come back and 'oh my god' me. Great fun in a student flat.

Back on subject. People arent open minded. People will kick up a stink about something if its different, sometimes to show off. I find it strange that the guys 'Eww'ed the lesbians, but maybe they just havent matured properly yet.

anwserman
Feb 11, 2004, 10:04 AM
On 2004-02-11 03:50, Ness wrote:
If they are still teaching you to use Windows 98, then by all means get out of there!

Nah, we're learning about all of the operating systems. A couple weeks ago, it was Windows XP. This period it is Windows 98. It will eventually move on to Windows2K if I'm correct and eventually Linux.

And P.S.... it wasn't that I was offended per say about their attitude, just their reaction. Of course, I'm gonna stay here at this college (many more people might be open-minded), and because I now have my job and such... but it was the most interesting thing of the day.

Other then when I accidentally withdrew $40 from my debit card and realized my balance was -$35. That was interesting too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Oh, I did jog two miles, one mile at a time with like a five-minute break inbetween (damn side ache!) so yeah, that was cool.

Solstis
Feb 11, 2004, 05:29 PM
On 2004-02-11 07:04, anwserman wrote:

On 2004-02-11 03:50, Ness wrote:

Nah, we're learning about all of the operating systems. A couple weeks ago, it was Windows XP. This period it is Windows 98. It will eventually move on to Windows2K if I'm correct and eventually Linux.

And P.S.... it wasn't that I was offended per say about their attitude, just their reaction. Of course, I'm gonna stay here at this college (many more people might be open-minded), and because I now have my job and such... but it was the most interesting thing of the day.

Other then when I accidentally withdrew $40 from my debit card and realized my balance was -$35. That was interesting too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Oh, I did jog two miles, one mile at a time with like a five-minute break inbetween (damn side ache!) so yeah, that was cool.

Well, you have to leave now that you owe money. Heading up north to Canada sounds like a good bet.

BogusKun
Feb 11, 2004, 06:44 PM
On 2004-02-10 20:32, ABDUR101 wrote:
Heh, I think the people who said "Eww, disgusting" are either naive and don't know about it, or just wanted to get a reaction from other people by making a scene.
Of course the teacher is going to make a scene if afew students start being disruptive about it. Not all teachers would, mind you. I've known afew who would have told them to grow up, and some who would have snickered and given a distasteful remark, but would have allowed it.

It's hit and miss really. Don't let it get you down. Heh, if I were in the class, I'd of had an anime pic thrown in, like from Hellsing, or "Jesus Christ is in Heaven Now" from Alucard's(Arucard) gun, and I'd of still gotten remarks because it's from an anime and thats geeeeeeeeky, or because of someone being offended by the quote.

In the end, don't feed into it. There's always going to be someone to make a scene about stupid stuff like that, and more often than not it's because they're too immature and feel the need to draw attention.

I know what you mean my friend...

I remember back in 8th Grade... (yup that long ago), just when you thought kids were getting a bit mature and what happens...?

I turned to my friend and say... "Oh look, a tampon..." and Melissa said "Ewww, a tampon, Ewww, Look"

And I had to pick it up...

I wasn't mad at the fact I had to pick up a bloody tampon (that belonged to Ylizabet, in which I found out in 12th grade before Graduation..., if that's spelled right...ohh my god she was hot...). It was the fact that the kids made a big deal out of it...

So I can totally relate to the author of this topic.

opaopajr
Feb 13, 2004, 08:04 AM
that's what the ton of glitter we, the people of the SF bay area, sent you is for.

see, when something like this happens and they go all "eww!" you take the glitter in big fistfulls and throw it in their eyes and shout "yippee!" soon you'll have them trained in no time.

ps: you did get the vat of glitter we sent you right? O_O right!? O_O don't tell me there's a hill of glitter smothering some poor innocent cow town out there! that could start a *gasp* culture war! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2004-02-13 05:04 ]</font>