PDA

View Full Version : Zero Tolerance

AUTO_
Feb 18, 2004, 06:00 PM
We're too politically correct these days.

Discuss.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AUTO_ on 2004-02-18 15:01 ]</font>

Daikarin
Feb 18, 2004, 06:05 PM
Many people try to give that impression of themselves on others, but I disagree. We're still too immature these days.

Or maybe it's just my mood that affects my way of thinking.

navci
Feb 18, 2004, 06:15 PM
It really depends tho.

This remind me of an incident of a friend of mine, we were having a conversation and she was mentioning about Japanese stuff in general. It bothered me a bit that she keep using the three letter word (you know what I am talking about, I'd rather not type it here) which I didn't feel comfortable hearing. (she is Korean, I am Chinese) So I asked if she can not use this word, ya know, it just sound harsh. She gave me a very weird look, and then went on calling me a (three letter word) lover.

Point isn't being if I love the Japanese or whatever. I am not even Japanese. But I felt the use of words like this and being ignorant about the negative connotation it carries. Worst thing happens when I do this to a Chinese friend (saying, can you please not say such a word?) they will then flip and call me traitor. ....

I mean. You don't want this to be done to you, then you don't do this to others, right? :/

.... I might have gone off topic... but I believe in some words just shouldn't be used.

edit: Before anyone point it out to me, I am familiar with the Japanese's history the Korean, and well with the Chinese also. So I understand if she had a grudge towards the Japanese and use the term because she hates them, but point is, however. She has a Japanese boyfriend (I don't know if she uses this term to him also) and I think she is not aware that this term is in fact, offensive. And her reaction to my asking her to stop was more like "why do you bother even if it is."

Just wanna point that out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2004-02-18 16:16 ]</font>

MitchWisconsi
Feb 18, 2004, 06:19 PM
YEAH FUCK THE SYSTEM BABY!

AUTO_
Feb 18, 2004, 06:27 PM
I can understand that Navi...I deal with it a lot myself.

I live in Montana and all of my friends are a bit racist (some more then others)...and it can be a little uncomfortable listening to them.

I just think we're a tad too uptight on certain things.

Inu_Ranma
Feb 18, 2004, 06:52 PM
I get a lot of this, as I live in one of the most racist areas of CA, generally. I get genuinely pissed off every time the words N----r lover are used to insult a person by some stupid kid who's literally a neo-nazi, minus what little brain some neo nazis may theoretically have. Yeah. A neo-nazi but dumber. Is it even possible?

BogusKun
Feb 18, 2004, 06:59 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't expect CA to have those type of people there... Maybe Oregon or some other unknown/forgotten state like Wyoming (don't know how I remembered them), but not Cali.

Solstis
Feb 18, 2004, 07:05 PM
On 2004-02-18 15:15, navi wrote:
It really depends tho.

This remind me of an incident of a friend of mine, we were having a conversation and she was mentioning about Japanese stuff in general. It bothered me a bit that she keep using the three letter word (you know what I am talking about, I'd rather not type it here) which I didn't feel comfortable hearing. (she is Korean, I am Chinese) So I asked if she can not use this word, ya know, it just sound harsh. She gave me a very weird look, and then went on calling me a (three letter word) lover.

Point isn't being if I love the Japanese or whatever. I am not even Japanese. But I felt the use of words like this and being ignorant about the negative connotation it carries. Worst thing happens when I do this to a Chinese friend (saying, can you please not say such a word?) they will then flip and call me traitor. ....

I mean. You don't want this to be done to you, then you don't do this to others, right? :/

.... I might have gone off topic... but I believe in some words just shouldn't be used.

My mom is Korean, so I know what you mean http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Sometimes, koreans people can be a wee bit arrogant *points at some people he knows*. I tease her about it all the time.

Ness
Feb 18, 2004, 07:20 PM
The whole political corectness thing is annoying sometimes, but what really annoys me is the fact that someone can sue for just about anything and win.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 18, 2004, 07:23 PM
On 2004-02-18 16:20, Ness wrote:
The whole political corectness thing is annoying sometimes, but what really annoys me is the fact that someone can sue for just about anything and win.

I dont like your comment, YOULL HEAR FROM MY LAWYER!!!!

LOL so true, and so sad.

navci
Feb 18, 2004, 07:23 PM
On 2004-02-18 16:20, Ness wrote:

*nod nod* I see what you mean tho.
People just doing this is annoying... but the original concept was a good one. Changing the way you speak about onething sometimes really change your perception and mentality about it. But of course, as with all things that has to do with people, it got abused and turn ugly. :/

Bradicus
Feb 18, 2004, 07:33 PM
On 2004-02-18 15:15, navi wrote:
It really depends tho.

edit: Before anyone point it out to me, I am familiar with the Japanese's history the Korean, and well with the Chinese also. So I understand if she had a grudge towards the Japanese and use the term because she hates them, but point is, however. She has a Japanese boyfriend (I don't know if she uses this term to him also) and I think she is not aware that this term is in fact, offensive. And her reaction to my asking her to stop was more like "why do you bother even if it is."

Just wanna point that out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2004-02-18 16:16 ]</font>

Words have a way of twisting themselves beyond any recognition. 'Tis a crime ;_;

KodiaX987
Feb 18, 2004, 09:37 PM
Shoot me if I ever do something politically correct. Fuck censorship!

_Ted_
Feb 18, 2004, 11:40 PM
On 2004-02-18 15:52, Inu_Ranma wrote:
I get a lot of this, as I live in one of the most racist areas of CA, generally. I get genuinely pissed off every time the words N----r lover are used to insult a person by some stupid kid who's literally a neo-nazi, minus what little brain some neo nazis may theoretically have. Yeah. A neo-nazi but dumber. Is it even possible?

Where do you live? Downtown LA?

Ness
Feb 19, 2004, 06:33 AM
On 2004-02-18 16:23, navi wrote:

*nod nod* I see what you mean tho.
People just doing this is annoying... but the original concept was a good one. Changing the way you speak about onething sometimes really change your perception and mentality about it. But of course, as with all things that has to do with people, it got abused and turn ugly. :/

It's starting to turn into reverse racism.

Bradicus
Feb 19, 2004, 07:16 AM
On 2004-02-18 18:37, KodiaX987 wrote:
Shoot me if I ever do something politically correct. F**k censorship!

take that.... fucker http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif