PDA

View Full Version : Phobias...

Blitzkommando
Feb 20, 2004, 02:51 PM
I believe I have Aichmophobia, or a fear of needles. Yesterday I had a blood test and, well nearly hypervetilated. I know it doesn't hurt much at all, and I know it is safe. But like many phobics I have no clue why I am so scared of them. I just start to break out in sweats and shaking. Then my breathing increases and my muscles all tense up. I then go pale and unless calmed down will most likely faint. However if someone I know is with me I can go through it very well, as in without the fainting and hyperventilating. I know I have to do it but I just totally loose control. I hate it. I know it is silly but I can't help it.

I have gotten better than before however. I used to scream and yell and just generally go insane from going to the lab for the tests. I know people who are diabetics have it much worse, but phobias cancel out all rational thought. I hate them and truely feel sympathy for people who have them. I know my case isn't severe but I still have one. You don't know why you are scared and that just scares you more. It has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. Just pure fear. I hope none of you go through this but if you do I know how you feel.

Meh, not really a rant but just something that bothers me, about me.

epeon
Feb 20, 2004, 03:42 PM
I HATE needles! aaarrggghh!!!!

Dhylec
Feb 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
ah, after seeing your phobia descriptions..
my fears are nothing but more like a sense of insecurity..
i'm afraid of big dogs, snakes, scorpions & jellyfish http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
i got bitten & got sick by each of the above.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Skuda
Feb 20, 2004, 04:12 PM
me, I'm slightly homophobic. only when the start to come on to me. My best friend is Bisexual and he started to do that. I popped him one in the nose. I have some wierd fear of water. It's not really a fear, I just hate the stuff. I hate being wet.

Nai_Calus
Feb 20, 2004, 04:53 PM
What -is- it with people and needles? It's just a needle. O_o;

...Then again, I'm the sick freak who -watched- them stick the needle in when he gave blood, and watched the blood flow down the tube into the bag.

Er, yeah. Needles don't bug me.

...It's people. I've run out of class in a panic at having to deal with other people in three different classes so far, at least twice each class, and that's just so far this semester. >.<

navci
Feb 20, 2004, 05:04 PM
I love it when you go to dentist, they told you not to be afraid. Then have you chew on a piece of cotton with a bit of anesthetic in it, then pull out a huge needle and want to stick that in your gum.

*shudders*

Scejntjynahl
Feb 20, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hey Blitz, I have the same fear. But I know where mine came from. I was five, got bit by a monkey at a zoo (not making it up) and consequently I received rabies shots. In five days I received over 70 differents types of shots, on the arm, the buttocks, and around the belly button. Since then, I HATE NEEDLES.

My suggestion is, bite down on something, it helps me when I have to give blood samples or take medication...

Skuda
Feb 20, 2004, 05:33 PM
you got biten by a monkey?? You are so my hero! My brother tried teasing a gorrilla at the Calgary Zoo, but It got angry and threw some feces at the plexiglass viewing window. I thought it was hilarious! not to mention seeing the "Skunk Monkeys"!

Sord
Feb 20, 2004, 08:14 PM
I have a phobia of:

needles
worms
heights

So I know how you feel. Especially the rational thought part. I've held giant cockroaches, pet a boa, and done other stuff a lot riskier (or normally more grose) then touching worms, but i start shaking, my face goes white, and my voice get's all panicky, I'm not a screamer (thank god, i hate screamers, or at least their screams)

geewj
Feb 20, 2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.phobialist.com/#A-

anwserman
Feb 21, 2004, 01:27 AM
On 2004-02-20 13:12, Scott_Kuda wrote:
me, I'm slightly homophobic. only when the start to come on to me. My best friend is Bisexual and he started to do that. I popped him one in the nose. I have some wierd fear of water. It's not really a fear, I just hate the stuff. I hate being wet.

Well, think about it this way...

You're best friends with him, you obviously have a lot of things in common with him and your personality must definately click. Do things constantly with each other (well, maybe not constantly) but being best friends. Trust me, as a person on the other side, its fucking hard to keep your emotions and feelings in check when everything seems so right in regards to a friendship that feels that it has everything to become a relationship... sans a couple of barriers in regards to sexual orientation.

Um, I'm guessing I'm afraid of heights a little bit (I'm fine if I'm in like a rollercoaster or like a building, but if I went ontop of a roof without any safety device or barrier, then I'll panic).

Armok
Feb 21, 2004, 06:36 AM
Being really vain i fear any kind of perminant visible damage to my body.

PJ
Feb 21, 2004, 07:04 AM
*sigh*

I have such a childish phobia. Achluophobia.

Check out Prof Frink's list to knowv what that is @_@

And I don't have an extreme phobia of needles, just kinda get worried when I see them...

ERS
Feb 21, 2004, 12:17 PM
I have a severe case of Arachibutyrophobia.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

AUTO_
Feb 21, 2004, 01:59 PM
Phobias...

-Heights
-Sharks
-Snakes
-Bugs getting into my open pop/food while I'm not paying attention and then oh fuck I just ate/drank one

When I was little I used to always be afraid of criminals breaking into our house at night...infact, that has probably been my "deepest" fear over the course of my life (criminalbregginindahousobia?) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

BogusKun
Feb 21, 2004, 02:09 PM
As a child Aquaphobia

Now Dark people at night (I was mugged in 3 accounts by the same looking rapper type guy) Poor people also make up for it, but thats because I like walking the streets at night with the wierd ones

Wasn't there a similar topic about this?

Asuka_chan
Feb 21, 2004, 10:05 PM
I surprised that no one has mentioned death...
my biggest fear. And only fear ^^'
Wow, look. I'm back ^^'

Cowboy
Feb 21, 2004, 10:14 PM
Dont ever leave me like that again! -huggles you-

On topic, my only fear is being alive in body but not in soul, like ive said before.

Amiadon
Feb 22, 2004, 02:54 AM
Eeeep! Sounds scary, Tracon.

Cowboy
Feb 22, 2004, 03:04 AM
Think Alzheimers, Amiadon

Asuka_chan
Feb 22, 2004, 04:05 AM
I won't be here for long.

Amiadon
Feb 22, 2004, 07:43 AM
On 2004-02-22 00:04, Tracon wrote:
Think Alzheimers, Amiadon

My grandfather has that. He just stands there, looking out.... He once tried shaving with toothpaste, y'know. That was before he was confined to the hospital, of course. He wouldn't let me call him grandfather, I had to call him Keith. He's wired up to some scary machine right now probably. Haven't seen him in years... not really sad at all.

EDIT: When I was small, I saw Poltergeist 3, the one with the mirror guy. SO now I have Catoptrophobia, and it really annoys me, since I can't be in a room with a large mirror alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Amiadon on 2004-02-22 05:05 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Feb 22, 2004, 12:29 PM
Heights

Snakes

Fish - violently alergic to all fish, not to keen on other sea creatures either.

DOG21313
Feb 22, 2004, 01:20 PM
Ambulophobia- Fear of walking
Er... So do people with this have to use a wheelchair or something?

Xanthophobia- Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow
...Yellow...

Testophobia- Fear of taking tests
I wonder if these people are exemplary from any and all tests...?

Somniphobia- Fear of sleep
Erm... so how exactly do these people keep going.

Ablutophobia- Fear of washing or bathing
Smelly?

Epistemophobia- Fear of knowledge
Duhhhhhr....

Wow some of these are stupid...

Anyways, i think i have a fear of
Heights
Bugs
Needles =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DOG21313 on 2004-02-22 10:22 ]</font>