PDA

View Full Version : Aren't We, Like, Over It Already?

Reenee
Feb 27, 2004, 10:43 PM
http://slate.msn.com/id/2096112/

Firocket1690
Feb 27, 2004, 11:48 PM
... No.

_Ted_
Feb 27, 2004, 11:59 PM
Does anybody take notice that its just a game?

undevil
Feb 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
Yes and thank god they aren't making a deal about that game. The Japanese are our allies now anyways.

anwserman
Feb 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
On 2004-02-27 20:59, _Ted_ wrote:
Does anybody take notice that its just a game?

Not the Senators who want to censor them.

ABDUR101
Feb 28, 2004, 12:06 AM
Look, the more your eyes are looking at possible moral issues with something as petty as a game, these guys who bring the issue up are doing something dirty behind the curtain.

Dangerous55
Feb 28, 2004, 12:32 AM
I kill Americans and Brits in DoD, I don't mind. I am not actually kill them. It all comes down to what you would do if you were at that point in time for real.

Reenee
Feb 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
On 2004-02-27 21:06, ABDUR101 wrote:
Look, the more your eyes are looking at possible moral issues with something as petty as a game, these guys who bring the issue up are doing something dirty behind the curtain.

Pardon?

ABDUR101
Feb 28, 2004, 12:53 AM
On 2004-02-27 21:47, Reenee wrote:
Pardon?

I plead the fif!

err..I have no idea what the hell I just said?

In the end, I agree with what everyone else has said and I must discontinue my partaking of this thread, shank you.

*continues working on new comp*

Reenee
Feb 28, 2004, 01:10 AM
Um...I'm really confused now.

_Ted_
Feb 28, 2004, 02:57 AM
My brain hurts...

Ness
Feb 28, 2004, 01:52 PM
*Reads the article*

Can you say overanalysis?

Kiara
Feb 28, 2004, 03:16 PM
Why do people find the need to bitch about things like this?

"Pacifists might argue that this is precisely why war games are a social problem. By making violence playful, games desensitize us to it. They turn war into just a bunch of way-cool physics and inventory control. Medal of Honor did have some Japanese critics. Aki Nakamura, a professor at Japan's Waseda University, told me he'd heard grumbling?not from oblivious hard-core gamers, but from casual ones. "I remember some of them saying, 'What is fun about shooting your own people?' " he wrote in an e-mail."

Would they prefer we killed people irl to relieve stress? I wish they could realize it's nothing more than a game. I've played games where I fought the USA and I never said "I'm killing my own people now?! HELL NO!!1111one111one *turns on DoD* Time to fry some Nazi's and Brits baby!" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course I've known some kids to turn into complete war mongers over these kind of games and spend all their time at the LAN gamer places http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nerd.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kiara on 2004-02-28 12:17 ]</font>

Guile
Feb 28, 2004, 03:43 PM
So let's just bury history is what they are saying.
The problem with these type of reviewers are they just think little kids are playing these games and they know nothing about war and such. When every person of every age plays games like MOH.

Aunt_Betty
Feb 28, 2004, 05:09 PM
Can't be as bad as the "Passion of the Christ."I think people say it's anti-semteic because they hate us.That was their free ticket to protest.

_Sinue_
Feb 29, 2004, 08:51 AM
I don't see where the "Passion of Christ" would cause an uprise anti-semitism. It might rile up the people who are already anti-semitic a bit more.. but they're mostly just ignorant rednecks anyhow. No suprise there. Ya know, I don't remember any anti-german hatred rising up after Shindler's List came out.

polishedweasel
Feb 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
Hrm...Are there not other games where you get to blow away a specific race of people? For example, Alien. Well, everytime I blow up one of those bastards I think to myself "mmmm this isn't just 100 pts, it's also a hate crime."

MMMmmmmm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bitch!

-Luke-
Feb 29, 2004, 11:29 AM
> Polished, they're really quite nice once you get to know them. All they want to do is put a little gash in you, plant eggs then be on their merry way. Should a baby burst out of your chest then eat you, its purely um....circumstantial..yeah...ok.

Murdercall
Feb 29, 2004, 03:00 PM
It's funny how this never happened with the previous MoH's. Nobody said anything about Germans killing their own people in a video game !

Scejntjynahl
Mar 3, 2004, 10:23 AM
No one should forget the consequences and devastations of past wars. No one ever truly wins in a war, everyone loses part of themselves. True that has already happened, and true we must move on. But we shouldnt forget the degree of how bad things can get.

Back on topic: MoH is nothing but a game, at best it is just reliving events that already took place. In no means is it suggesting that we start up a whole new war or to insult those who perished in it. It already happened. Its more like a story that is been read once again. Nothing more.

Next Ill be hearing that terrorist nations with the help of a comglomarate international company is making biological weapons that create an army of zombies.... meh. And that they got the idea from RE series...he ha ha HA HA ...right.

Hrith
Mar 3, 2004, 11:17 AM
Yes, Frodo.

But you cannot ignore that firms count on the fact that people actually want to kill Japanese/Iraqi, etc. otherwise 1) we would not have game based on real events 2) those games would not sell.

Market researchs...

Scejntjynahl
Mar 3, 2004, 11:27 AM
On 2004-03-03 08:17, Kef wrote:
Yes, Frodo.

But you cannot ignore that firms count on the fact that people actually want to kill Japanese/Iraqi, etc. otherwise 1) we would not have game based on real events 2) those games would not sell.

Market researchs...

Ok Golum err,

I know that the market researches count on our violent and bigotry to sell games. But it does not mean they intend to create a RL war. They just want to sell games and make money. What Im saying is that I doubt they do it with the intention to insult, they just want money. Very parasitic indeed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Furankunichan on 2004-03-03 09:00 ]</font>

Hrith
Mar 3, 2004, 11:52 AM
Actually, I'd say that they couldn't care less about the "intention" whether of insulting people or re-creating real wars, they just care about money.
If something "bad" is done in their attempt to get money, they'll pay a good lawyer, and move on, on all other circumstances, they do not care.