PDA

View Full Version : FWOOSH!

Solstis
Feb 29, 2004, 09:50 PM
Mods cleared up that PSOJunky stuff pretty fast.

I feel dizzy... motion sickness!

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 09:51 PM
Yeh, like lightning...and oranges.

Solstis
Feb 29, 2004, 09:53 PM
Must have done it with Kef's chupacabra army.

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 09:54 PM
Definetly Kef's army.

As a side note I'm going to go kill myself now.

Solstis
Feb 29, 2004, 09:57 PM
On 2004-02-29 18:54, _Ted_ wrote:
Definetly Kef's army.

As a side note I'm going to go kill myself now.

Make sure you use a spork. Makes it more entertaining for us that way.

Not like we bugged your house, or anything.

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 09:58 PM
Well I jsut noticed that my most posted area has changed to FKL.....ARRRGGGG!!!!

And I have no sporks, but I've been trying to cut off my arm with a butter knife now for about 15 minutes...

Uncle_bob
Feb 29, 2004, 10:01 PM
On 2004-02-29 18:58, _Ted_ wrote:
Well I jsut noticed that my most posted area has changed to FKL.....ARRRGGGG!!!!

Arg? You should be honored. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Solstis
Feb 29, 2004, 10:05 PM
On 2004-02-29 19:01, Uncle_bob wrote:

On 2004-02-29 18:58, _Ted_ wrote:

Arg? You should be honored. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed that too. Hand me a butter knife, will ya?

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
I would, but I've bent most of them up trying to cut off my arm. And those that I haven't bent have become dull from all the attempted slicing.

KaFKa
Feb 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
*sigh* and to think i thought you kids had potential... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Solstis
Feb 29, 2004, 10:10 PM
On 2004-02-29 19:07, KaFKa wrote:
*sigh* and to think i thought you kids had potential... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Ah!!!! It's him!

*Stabs Kafka with a blunt butter knife*

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 10:16 PM
On 2004-02-29 18:53, Solstis wrote:
Must have done it with Kef's chupacabra army.

On 2004-02-29 18:54, _Ted_ wrote:
Definetly Kef's army.

I wonder if Kef's army uses blunt butter knives?

As another side note, if you brutaly beat someone with a spoon can a court charge you with assault with a deadly weapon?

Cowboy
Feb 29, 2004, 10:21 PM
A court can charge you with anything they want.

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 10:22 PM
Ahhhhh, good point. But would they be able to convict you in the afore mentioned situation?

Cowboy
Feb 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
I do not think so....

"Deadly weapon" means anything designed for lethal use, including a firearm. A.R.S. ? 13-3101(1).

Spoons are not designed for lethal use, but maybe they would be considered that if it was used that way?

Like in 94'

SECONDHAND SMOKE IGNITES ASSAULT AND BATTERY SUIT

LOS ANGELES -- Employees exposed involuntarily to secondhand smoke at the office can now sue employers for assault and battery, at least in California.

A Southern California woman who sued her employer for battery because of secondhand smoke in her office accepted an out-of-court settlement on Tuesday, March l, after a Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner ruled that secondhand smoke, like sexual harassment, is not part of the job.
Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Emilie H. Elias denied defense motions to dismiss a lawsuit filed by Andrea Portenier, who sued the insurance broker she worked for, its parent company, and its chief financial officer for assault and battery.

Elias ruled that workers' compensation is not the only remedy for Portenier's claims. "Secondhand smoke is not like lights which everybody needs," Elias explained.

Portenier developed an asthma-like condition after working for four years in an office that allowed smoking. Although she requested a smokefree environment for at least a year and brought notes from her doctors, the firm ignored her requests. "There has never been any history of asthma in my family, and I never had problems with my lungs, but I got sicker and sicker and was definitely worse when I was at the office."

Courts in Georgia and Ohio have also upheld plaintiffs right to sue smokers for battery.

Portenier's attorney, Larry A. Minsky of Sievers & Minsky in Long Beach, Calif., indicated that defendants were specifically aware of the dangers of secondhand smoke. "There was evidence to establish that the company knowingly permitted employees to smoke around Andrea, despite her repeated requests that they not do so."

Nonconsensual touching, or intentionally subjecting a person to harm constitutes a battery. Damages in an assault-and-battery case are not limited as they are under workers' compensation cases.
However, it is well established that workers may receive workers' compensation benefits for injuries caused by workplace smoking exposure, and as demonstrated by Portenier's lawsuit, a battered employee may also obtain damages in a civil suit in addition to recovering damages in a worker's compensation case.

One of the most recent examples of workers' compensation recovery is that of Avatar Uhbi, an otherwise healthy nonsmoker with no history of heart disease who suffered a heart attack from passive smoking exposure while working as a waiter in a restaurant which permitted smoking. He was awarded $85,000 by the California Compensation Insurance Fund in 1990.

Edward L. Sweda, an attorney with the Tobacco Control Resource Center in Boston, which has been monitoring Portenier's case, commented that he "hoped employers would take note of the seriousness of the assault-and-battery charges and realize that it is in their best interests to provide a smokefree workplace for their employees and clients."

A recent survey conducted by the Claremont Institute for Economic Policy Studies at the Claremont Graduate School found that 87 percent of the respondents supported the elimination of smoking in workplaces. Said Portenier, "When you can't breathe, it's a terrifying experience. The point is, you can leave your cigarettes at the door, but you can't leave your lungs at the door."

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Esther Schiller, a teacher with the Los Angeles Unified School District, was awarded a workers' compensation setttlement of $30,000 when ambient smoke from an employee lounge caused her to become ill in her classroom. Schiller had a history of asthma, but was diagnosed with severe and progressive obstructive lung disease following the secondhand smoke exposure.

Portenier researched the legal basis for her case in the SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LAW REVIEW in an article written by attorney David B. Ezra, "Smoker Battery: An Antidote to Second-Hand Smoke." Ezra has written other articles on secondhand smoke including an article on smoking in the workplace for the TENNESSEE LAW REVIEW.

http://www.pacificnet.net/~safe/lit.html#anchor487322

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tracon on 2004-02-29 19:42 ]</font>

Cowboy
Feb 29, 2004, 10:46 PM
Ok, yes, attacking someone with a spoon could lead to an assault with a deadly weapon conviction...

Any instrument which is used in a threatening manner against another person with the intent and the ability to cause great bodily injury is considered a deadly weapon. Such objects may include, but are not limited to guns, knives, rocks, sticks, pencils, or chairs.

Great bodily injury is defined as loss of consciousness, concussion, bone fractures, loss or impairment of any organ, a wound requiring extensive suturing, and serious disfigurement.

http://www.laspd.com/cssa/definitions_crimes_against_persons.htm

Blitzkommando
Feb 29, 2004, 11:28 PM
Hey can mods pwn sigs just for the heck of getting rid of a hidious mal-formed sig? Oh and what good is all that research? FKL is the last place to use good information as it gets lost in the infinite vastness known as the landfill.

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 11:32 PM
Several minutes later BLITZKOMMANDO's sig disappers...

Hrith
Mar 1, 2004, 01:13 AM
Can I get feedback on what that "stupid" as Adbur called him, wrote in site related ? I'm just curious >_>

_Ted_
Mar 1, 2004, 01:19 AM
The same thing he wrote a few slots down on FKL. See it here (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=77012&forum=14&2). He went through every part of the forum (except general) and made the same post. The mods cleaned it all up (deleted or edited all the posts) and banned the guy in the better part of 5 minutes.

Cowboy
Mar 1, 2004, 01:23 AM
Edit: I really should refresh posts before i reply to them...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tracon on 2004-02-29 22:25 ]</font>

Cowboy
Mar 1, 2004, 01:28 AM
On 2004-02-29 20:28, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
Hey can mods pwn sigs just for the heck of getting rid of a hidious mal-formed sig?

Me thinks they CAN, but they don't. Which is why no one's choked this chicken.

Outrider
Mar 1, 2004, 02:13 AM
Ouch. That pun hurt.