PDA

View Full Version : constuctive critisism

FOAtHeart
Mar 4, 2004, 05:44 PM
i love constructive crits, but that's not the point. here we go:

i hate it wheen i show my friends a drawing or story and they just stare blankly at me and just say like,"cool" or "thats good" because 1) they're not specifying WHAT they like and 2) they don't tell me what they DON'T like and how i can fix it. seriously, i mean, if you can't find ONE flaw in a drawing that i rushed on, LEARN. a while ago,(a WHILE http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) i drew a picture of sailor moon and showed it to my brother. (who is older,btw) he said,"WOAH! IT'S LOOKZ EXACLY LIKE IT!w00t!" and it sucked . bad.
now that i look at it, i can find at least 40 critisisms, and no-one bothered to tell me! i mean, UGH! well, my fingers are weary, i need to rest..... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Aunt_Betty
Mar 4, 2004, 05:50 PM
On 2004-03-04 14:44, FOAtHeart wrote:
i love constructive crits, but that's not the point. here we go:

i hate it wheen i show my friends a drawing or story and they just stare blankly at me and just say like,"cool" or "thats good" because 1) they're not specifying WHAT they like and 2) they don't tell me what they DON'T like and how i can fix it. seriously, i mean, if you can't find ONE flaw in a drawing that i rushed on, LEARN. a while ago,(a WHILE http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) i drew a picture of sailor moon and showed it to my brother. (who is older,btw) he said,"WOAH! IT'S LOOKZ EXACLY LIKE IT!w00t!" and it sucked . bad.
now that i look at it, i can find at least 40 critisisms, and no-one bothered to tell me! i mean, UGH! well, my fingers are weary, i need to rest..... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And what are you proving?

ABDUR101
Mar 4, 2004, 05:55 PM
You are your own worst critic.

When my nephew read to me a story he wrote up, he asked what I thought about it. He's 14, so to me the story wasn't really anything special, but I told him it was nice and he did a good job because I'm not sure how creative and so on he can truely be, and I don't want to give all of these reasons why it lacked anything, because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses with what they can do. If I wanted to, I could have tore his story apart and made him feel like crap, but obviously he put alot of time into it, and was proud of what he did, so I congratulated him.

That and it did'nt really interest me, so why would I kick him down a notch with criticism. Some people ask how they did to sort of get a pat to their ego, they don't really want you to find everything wrong that you can.

When it comes to drawings and the like, I just tell whoever they did a good job, because I can't draw for shit, so what do I know?

Thus, why your friends are prolly giving stale answers, they don't want to hurt your feelings, they aren't interested enough to give full criticism, etc.

And your brother prolly congratulated you because maybe he can't draw that well(like myself) or he really did'nt want to hurt your feelings.

I don't really see the difference, if you think something sucks that you did, and can find all sorts of things wrong with it, why bother asking anyone else? You already "graded" it yourself, so if someone else says it looks good, you already have it in your head that it sucks and looks bad, and the other way around, if you thought it looked great and someone said "Holy fuck, you botched it, for shits sake what did you do?!", you'd be upset as well.

Ness
Mar 4, 2004, 06:03 PM
Maybe your friends honestly think that your art is good. It is possible that they can't find mistakes because they don't know what you did wrong. It's hard to point out mistakes in those better than you.

FOAtHeart
Mar 4, 2004, 08:13 PM
On 2004-03-04 14:55, ABDUR101 wrote:
You are your own worst critic.

When my nephew read to me a story he wrote up, he asked what I thought about it. He's 14, so to me the story wasn't really anything special, but I told him it was nice and he did a good job because I'm not sure how creative and so on he can truely be, and I don't want to give all of these reasons why it lacked anything, because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses with what they can do. If I wanted to, I could have tore his story apart and made him feel like crap, but obviously he put alot of time into it, and was proud of what he did, so I congratulated him.

That and it did'nt really interest me, so why would I kick him down a notch with criticism. Some people ask how they did to sort of get a pat to their ego, they don't really want you to find everything wrong that you can.

When it comes to drawings and the like, I just tell whoever they did a good job, because I can't draw for shit, so what do I know?

Thus, why your friends are prolly giving stale answers, they don't want to hurt your feelings, they aren't interested enough to give full criticism, etc.

And your brother prolly congratulated you because maybe he can't draw that well(like myself) or he really did'nt want to hurt your feelings.

I don't really see the difference, if you think something sucks that you did, and can find all sorts of things wrong with it, why bother asking anyone else? You already "graded" it yourself, so if someone else says it looks good, you already have it in your head that it sucks and looks bad, and the other way around, if you thought it looked great and someone said "Holy fuck, you botched it, for shits sake what did you do?!", you'd be upset as well.

well, my brother draws too (he taught me) and i thought it was the best thing ever at the time, i just wanted to know how to improve upon it. but you made a good point and i have another viewpoint to examine things from http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hrith
Mar 4, 2004, 11:07 PM
Don't ask people who care about you, if possible do not ask to people you know are nice http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They will most probably try not to alter your self-confidence.

That's what I would do with my sis.

Omni-Man
Mar 5, 2004, 12:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHA,

I actually run in to a similar dilemma.

I'm a lowly gas station clerk, but on rare days when business is slow and I manage to have the store pristine, I will grap a piece of paper and a ball point pen and start doodling. I will say in all fairness I am better than many but far from the best when it comes to drawing, drafting, rendering, etc.

The problem is on occasion a customer will walk in, see what I've mangled out on the paper, and say "Wow, what are you doing here? you should work at Disney (I don't draw even remotly disney subject matter)" or "hey, if I give you a picture, will you draw it for me?"

Now, I know these people mean well, and I don't want to be an elitist, but it really saddens me that most people can't at least say WHAT they liked about a piece.

I have tried doing contract work for people before, and I have found that the problem is generally one of patience. They don't have the patience to go through a sizable chunk of drafts until they see something that resembles what they want (which most people really don't know, theus the study of advertising was born) and I don't have the patience to redo the same piece over and over again when I hear things like "but I wanted more blue, but not too blue".

Ah well, I guess artists (and doodlers, such as myself) really are destined to starve, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

hollowtip
Mar 6, 2004, 04:29 AM
I hate contructive critics who can dish it but can't take it.

Kiara
Mar 8, 2004, 01:56 AM
Unless it's their job to make a list of everything they liked and didn't like, most people won't bother. Your friends are probably optimistic about it and can't see the faults in it that you do.

It's hard to have someone critisize your work because you have your own oppinion and they have theirs. That and you will usually think that they said it was good to not hurt your feelings or said it sucked to be spiteful.

Whenever I rate my stories. (Draw? Meh, can't even manage a decent stick figure) I usually end up not liking them, but my friends will say it was good. With me being so pessimistic of myself, I always think they just want me to feel better.

The best choice you can make is to go with your own thoughts on your art, if it makes you happy that's what counts. Otherwise it can do this to you: http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/eviltongue.gif

anwserman
Mar 8, 2004, 12:36 PM
Abdur is right, you are the hardest critic on yourself. When I put effort into it, I can write some pretty deep pieces of work... and then I read it again and I think it sucks.

And everyone else thinks it rocks.

Something else, you have your eyes trained to see imperfections with drawing... most people don't. If you pointed it out to them, then perhaps they'd see a flaw, but other then that they wouldn't.

LollipopLolita
Mar 8, 2004, 12:48 PM
not everyone can constructively crit an artwork. not everyone knows what to look out for and what to point out. if you really want some to help out with your work, i'll volunteer gladly. i've been trained to give out crits, so i'll help if you want.

Genoa
Mar 12, 2004, 12:28 PM
If you go into the military... everthing your told about your work is constructive criticism...

navci
Mar 12, 2004, 02:35 PM
I was just thinking again.

There are people who just cannot give constructive criticism. I have a friend like this, she utterly love my writing and piccies. While she is able to give me really good feedback on my writing, to her piccies all look the same. She can't really comment on it aside from saying "it's wonderful!"

Not on purpose. But well it is like that with some people. Say, you shove me a poem and want me to review it, I just can't!

And you know where to go if you need critiques! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Outrider
Mar 12, 2004, 06:05 PM
To be fair, in some cases people might think it's really good, but that's only because they haven't seen everything you have. For instance, I might write a story or a poem, and compared to other things I've written or seen, I might think it's terrible. But a friend might not have read anything like it, and find it really enjoyable.

Sef
Mar 12, 2004, 06:46 PM
I agree with navi.

If someone asks me about something, if I like it I say "Cool". I don't really plan on going on in detail if I wasn't told it.

I have a friend who shows me artwork almost everytime I IM her. After I look at I'll say something depending on how I liked it and then she always says, "What do you like about it most?"...Wah! I can't usually think of something to say. But I think for a moment and remember the thing I saw first when I looked at the pic.