PDA

View Full Version : Holy. Crap.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 4, 2004, 07:57 PM
I just lost 8 hours worth of work at the last 10 minutes of the day, as I was finishing something, because AutoCAD crashed over a crappy error. And I thought I had saved. Nope!

Suckage!

FOAtHeart
Mar 4, 2004, 08:28 PM
On 2004-03-04 16:57, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I just lost 8 hours worth of work at the last 10 minutes of the day, as I was finishing something, because AutoCAD crashed over a crappy error. And I thought I had saved. Nope!

Suckage!

major suckage http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

what were you working on?

anwserman
Mar 5, 2004, 09:44 PM
...something that involves Meira arsoning Caltrans headquarters I presume.

shifter
Mar 5, 2004, 10:11 PM
sorry to here that. ive worked with autocad over the summer and as a part of a summer program before i went off to college, but i havent heard of it crashing cause of an error. were you using a newer or older release of autocad?

Rainbowlemon
Mar 6, 2004, 11:07 AM
Hmmm. That sucks. You know when people say 'I guess we'll look back on this someday and laugh'? What on EARTH are they on about??!

Kiara
Mar 6, 2004, 12:37 PM
HAHA!!! L0Z3R ||0013!!

But really, that's awful : /. I hope you hadn't discovered something like the meaning of life.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 9, 2004, 01:29 PM
FOAtHeart, I was working on an alternative site layout. I was more or less finished with the first of two (the easier of the two, really). The thing that made it a pain in the ass was that I had to figure out how much along one side to chop off to get a precise acreage, so that the client could get around city regulations, and develop the remainder of the parcel as a larger shopping area, instead of a shopping area and some residential constructs.

Also, Shifter, I'm working with AutoCAD 2002, with the Softdesk Civil package installed (Har, hardcore stuff indeed). Periodically, AutoCAD does indeed freak out and crash, especially when you've been using some more intensive features. In this case, however, the error was a Null Pointer error caused by accessing a Layout tab with bad plotter information. This sort of problem seems to crop up when converting a Release 14 drawing to an AutoCAD 2000 format, as AutoCAD 2000 or later will add another layout tab (seeing that Release 14 only goes between Model Space and Paper Space, therefore having only a Model Space tab and a single Layout tab). It's happened to me before. It basically just keeps getting the same error indefinitely, and the only way to get away from it, is to kill AutoCAD with the task manager.

And Answerman, thankfully, I am finished with that project that required me to deal directly with Caltrans. I'm still waiting for it to come back from the reviewer, with requests to change everything all over again.

Kiara, thankfully it wasn't something quite that important, but it was indeed something I'd put quite a bit of work into. Re-arranging buildings and parking spaces to accomodate an acreage request can involve quite a bit of math (I actually had to make up a few of my own equations to get the acreage right on that one... Stupid curved property lines).