PDA

View Full Version : "Reality" TV

muff
Mar 9, 2004, 04:29 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I hate this supposed entertainment. Nearly every programme now is something to do with "reality". WTF it's not even realistic.

Okay it strted with Big Brother, yeah, I enjoyed it, the first series. As usual however when something is successful everyone copies. Can't watch TV nowadays without seeing all these wannabe celebrities. Anyone that is famous for being famous should be shot. I don't want people growing up worshipping these idols who have no particulat talents.

It's shit like this that made me stop watching TV. I'll watch maybe 1-2 hours a week now and thats only when I'm watching music videos or something.

Makes me unsociable too because everyones talking about it, what am I supposed to do?

Pisses me off that someone who had a crappy, corny single can make it to number one in the charts with the same crappy, corny song, re released just because he was on on a celebrity reality Tv thing.

I think I might buy a gun and go Elvis style on my Tv.

Edit: TOO > To

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: muff on 2004-03-09 13:30 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Mar 9, 2004, 04:45 PM
On 2004-03-09 13:29, muff wrote:

I think I might buy a gun and go Elvis style on my Tv.

sounds like a plan....everything on tv is edited. reality my balls. they cut out practically everything and show you what they want you to see (thats real?)...i literally know no one who talks about these shows anymore, but if it bugs u turn off the tube and ride a bike?

Outrider
Mar 9, 2004, 04:46 PM
I can proudly say I never watched any reality tv show, except for that comedian one on Comedy Central. What can I say? I'm weak when it comes to resisting stand-up. And that Dave Mordal guy was hilarious.

muff
Mar 9, 2004, 04:50 PM
Bike, eh.

Sounds like a plan.

*looks out of window to see rusted bike*

I need cash :S
I want one of those bikes from the 70/80s. They got re released over here again, Chopper, that was the name of them.

Firocket1690
Mar 9, 2004, 06:34 PM
*kicks American Idol*
*kicks UK's Pop Idol*
*kicks the guy who invented the 'Idol' series*
*kicks the guy who brought it over to America*
*kicks Fox network*

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Scejntjynahl
Mar 9, 2004, 07:21 PM
Survival should be title "Greediest" I mean its so damn fake. In no time are any of these "real" people in danger... the producers wouldnt allow it. You want a survival show? Throw them in a cage with hungry Siberian Tigers, and the one who doesnt get eaten wins! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif That would be survival alright.

blazeking240
Mar 9, 2004, 08:22 PM
hi

Outrider
Mar 9, 2004, 08:45 PM
On 2004-03-09 16:21, Furankunichan wrote:
Survival should be title "Greediest" I mean its so damn fake. In no time are any of these "real" people in danger... the producers wouldnt allow it. You want a survival show? Throw them in a cage with hungry Siberian Tigers, and the one who doesnt get eaten wins! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif That would be survival alright.

There would be one that wouldn't get eaten?

I imagine tigers don't get filled up that easily.

Solstis
Mar 9, 2004, 09:24 PM
On 2004-03-09 17:45, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-09 16:21, Furankunichan wrote:

There would be one that wouldn't get eaten?

I imagine tigers don't get filled up that easily.

If you put 30 people in a cage with about 3 tigers, there would be survivors. Then, the "lightning" round would involve real lightning!

Cowboy
Mar 9, 2004, 09:40 PM
On 2004-03-09 17:22, blazeking240 wrote:
hi

Look mommy, its spam! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif My hatorite reality tv shows are ther ones like "nick and jessica", "the osbournes", and "cowboy you". noone should act that stupid on tv.

Outrider
Mar 9, 2004, 11:19 PM
On 2004-03-09 18:40, Tracon wrote:

On 2004-03-09 17:22, blazeking240 wrote:
hi

Look mommy, its spam! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif My hatorite reality tv shows are ther ones like "nick and jessica", "the osbournes", and "cowboy you". noone should act that stupid on tv.

Unless you're a paid actor/actress with a script.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 10, 2004, 08:59 AM
On 2004-03-09 18:40, Tracon wrote:
"the osbournes"

the show just sucked...wat was even worse was sharon osbournes spinoff talkshow...bloody freakn gay

Armok
Mar 10, 2004, 09:14 AM
If you put me and 29 others in a cage with 3 tigers we'd be having tiger burgers that night for dinner. Just because the odds of 3 tigers managing to kill 30 ppl in a fight is pretty low (10 on 1).

Of coarse some of the people would be cowards and run. Those ppl would be day 2's meal. Overall it would be a highly entertaining show. Maybe a T Rex or 2 on day three could keep the viewers happy now thats entertainment.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 10, 2004, 10:28 AM
On 2004-03-10 06:14, Armok wrote:
If you put me and 29 others in a cage with 3 tigers we'd be having tiger burgers that night for dinner. Just because the odds of 3 tigers managing to kill 30 ppl in a fight is pretty low (10 on 1).

Of coarse some of the people would be cowards and run. Those ppl would be day 2's meal. Overall it would be a highly entertaining show. Maybe a T Rex or 2 on day three could keep the viewers happy now thats entertainment.

Hmm, you might have a point there Armok, 30 ppl against 3 Siberian Tigers might prove to leave some survivors and dead tigers. You figure about 10 ppl per tiger, right. Hmm say two out ten are chicken a run away (or around enclosed area). That would leave perhaps 8 ppl per tiger. What is the average weight of a full grown adult person, lets be generous and say they are all 6 feet tall 180 lbs.

Ok, your right, the tigers wouldnt stand a chace, heck ther tigers were only kept hungry for a couple of days. And these tigers dont even measure up to human:
Scientific Name: Panthera tigris altaica

Description:
The beautiful orange and black striped tiger is the largest of all cats. Males can get 9 - 12 feet long and the females 7 to 11 feet. The weight can reach 220 to 675 lbs!

So your right you could survive one of these full grown male jump on top of you and maul your face while 7 others are trying to lift a 675lb cat of your twitching body... err, yeah.

Back on topic:
Reality shows remind me of day soaps, too much drama and obvious results... scripted all the way. Most of the ppl in these shows do it for publicity (which they do get) and a shot at money. Nothing real about it, now you have even a reality show with faked marriages and stuff, damn what kind of message do we keep sending out... be beautiful and you can hurt ppl feelings on national tv. Just great.

anwserman
Mar 10, 2004, 11:01 AM
All these GAY SHOWS.

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"
"Straight Plan for the Gay Man"
"Playing it Straight"

And then there are those shows I can't think of, such as the ones where the gay guy has to find a suitable parter, and if his parter that he choses is straight then he (the parter) gets like $1 mil. Egad.

Now, shows that aren't meant to be gay per say (Real World, Road Rules, Big Brother, etc.) are fine with me because it wasn't meant to exploit someone's sexual orientation.

Must... shoot... FOX NETWORK FOR DELIVERING US THE MOST TRASHY REALITY SHOWS. EVER.

Shimarisu
Mar 10, 2004, 11:37 AM
Gay themed shows are lame.
Black themed shows are lame.

Any minority show is lame. Because it's a. hypocritical and b. 9 times out of ten thrives on stereotypes and makes the minority look fucking stupid. The only one I ever liked was Goodness Gracious Me, the Asian (Ie Indian, for Muslim/punjabi cultures) comedy show that dared to poke fun at the shortcomings of its culture. Those people made a good example to people in Britain - the recipients of the worst racial abuse here (we probably have the highest Indian immigrant/caucasian ratio in the world) they showed us that despite a strict religious upbringing, they can be as down to earth as we are. Ironically they were hated by overt Muslims/Punjabi and called racist.

I hate how gays on TV are always portrayed as being a) extremely camp b) promiscuous c) overtly OOT with their homosexuality. They promote hatred of gays. Of course I know a lot of gays like that, and they too, are fucking annoying. Every minority has its idiots that thrive on the stereotype like it's a rule set in gold to follow and therefore make everyone think "You are all like that." My case in point: Deaf people. Grew up with em, met many that would refuse to speak English and didn't even know how to fucking read. They are the reason that subtitles on DVDs are so bleeding lame, always a short approximation of what is said - seen that? Some DVDs offer 2 options, script based sub or sub for hard of hearing. Why is the hard of hearing one dumbed down? Why assume deaf people are so fucking dumb? Because many of them ARE. I want my subs verbatim, thank you muchly. I read faster than I speak, and if you don't or you refuse to learn, you're thick. Or dyslexic (in that case, fine).

Conclusion: People are dumb, stereotypes WILL always count for a large population of a culture because the half of the population below average IQ will invariably follow the stereotype. Shame really. These reality shows cater to the dumb. We want shows that cater to intelligent people, why are they so fucking rare?

- Shimarisu

anwserman
Mar 10, 2004, 11:41 AM
Conclusion: People are dumb, stereotypes WILL always count for a large population of a culture because the half of the population below average IQ will invariably follow the stereotype. Shame really. These reality shows cater to the dumb. We want shows that cater to intelligent people, why are they so fucking rare?

- Shimarisu

Because intelligent people are rare?
Thats the only thought I can think of, subtract the idiots in the population and you'd be left with... well, a planet thats not overpopulated. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But yes, in all reality TV is somewhat stupid. I don't watch it for news at all, as I can do that via internet. I'd honestly only watch TV if I'm not in the mood for videogames or the computer, and then it boils down to me watching Nickeloden.

Or Buffy. Or Angel. Good, intelligent shows with somewhat twisted sense of humor.

Outrider
Mar 10, 2004, 11:48 AM
On 2004-03-10 08:41, anwserman wrote:
Or Buffy. Or Angel. Good, intelligent shows with somewhat twisted sense of humor.

Daring words, my friend.

anwserman
Mar 10, 2004, 11:53 AM
On 2004-03-10 08:48, Outrider wrote:

Daring words, my friend.

I speak only the truth. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Solstis
Mar 10, 2004, 12:08 PM
As far as I'm concerned, reality tv can only go down from here.

Soon, "Straight Eye for the Straight Guy, but they don't know that!" will be on tv. Gosh and Golly-gee.

And isn't Angel getting canceled? I stopped watching Buffy-ness a few years ago. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

anwserman
Mar 10, 2004, 12:18 PM
Well, Angel isn't cancelled, it isn't being picked up for the next season. Being cancelled is to stop showing the rest of the season's episodes, but they're letting it run through the end of the season.

Outrider
Mar 10, 2004, 01:54 PM
Then Joss Whedon is gonna start writing Ultimate X-Men.

I'm gonna have to watch Angel Season 2 before my friend kills me for being so far behind on the DVDs... he already has Season 3 for me to watch... ugh.

Firocket1690
Mar 10, 2004, 04:35 PM
Because intelligent people are rare?
XD
I remember once when I was in detention with my LAL (Language Arts Literacy) teacher. She said something among the lines of:
"when you go to that high school interview, tell them "Back in elementry school, I only had two intelligent teachers, I want morrreeee of it !! I want to be surrounded by smart people!!
And that's why I want to go to [said high school]""
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
I had a good laugh after that ... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hmm, Shimarisu ...
they (media) assume that most deaf people don't go out to study, so they assume that most of the deaf population are stupid. Some people (like youself) don't let handicaps get in the way of life, and therefore, laugh at the media for making the assumption in the first place. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ness
Mar 10, 2004, 05:04 PM
On 2004-03-10 08:37, Shimarisu wrote:
Gay themed shows are lame.
Black themed shows are lame.

Any minority show is lame. Because it's a. hypocritical and b. 9 times out of ten thrives on stereotypes and makes the minority look fucking stupid.

I agree 100%. I'm tired of listening to people tell me that I'm not black just becasue I don't act the way BET and MTV tell me to. All their shows are based on stereotypes (most of which established by them) and create a new type of racism.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 10, 2004, 06:29 PM
On 2004-03-10 14:04, Ness wrote:

I agree 100%. I'm tired of listening to people tell me that I'm not black just becasue I don't act the way BET and MTV tell me to. All their shows are based on stereotypes (most of which established by them) and create a new type of racism.

mtv and others are fueling the fire for ignorance which is resulting in this new generation not knowing dick about how to act

--real world anybody? just how real is it i wonder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2004-03-10 15:32 ]</font>

_Ted_
Mar 10, 2004, 06:46 PM
It's as real as they pay the actors to make it.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 10, 2004, 07:14 PM
On 2004-03-10 15:46, _Ted_ wrote:
It's as real as they pay the actors to make it.

if your referring to my realworld comment...it was sarcastic. haha the joys of emotions through computers

Armok
Mar 10, 2004, 07:36 PM
On 2004-03-10 07:28, Furankunichan wrote:

Hmm, you might have a point there Armok, 30 ppl against 3 Siberian Tigers might prove to leave some survivors and dead tigers. You figure about 10 ppl per tiger, right. Hmm say two out ten are chicken a run away (or around enclosed area). That would leave perhaps 8 ppl per tiger. What is the average weight of a full grown adult person, lets be generous and say they are all 6 feet tall 180 lbs.

Ok, your right, the tigers wouldnt stand a chace, heck ther tigers were only kept hungry for a couple of days. And these tigers dont even measure up to human:
Scientific Name: Panthera tigris altaica

Description:
The beautiful orange and black striped tiger is the largest of all cats. Males can get 9 - 12 feet long and the females 7 to 11 feet. The weight can reach 220 to 675 lbs!

So your right you could survive one of these full grown male jump on top of you and maul your face while 7 others are trying to lift a 675lb cat of your twitching body... err, yeah.

Back on topic:
Reality shows remind me of day soaps, too much drama and obvious results... scripted all the way. Most of the ppl in these shows do it for publicity (which they do get) and a shot at money. Nothing real about it, now you have even a reality show with faked marriages and stuff, damn what kind of message do we keep sending out... be beautiful and you can hurt ppl feelings on national tv. Just great.

First - Tigers are not social animals so would not work together to fight man. So would probabily stay apart. Espically if they where all the larger sized male tigers.

Second - They would not be instantly hungry so would not instantly just attack giving time to formulate a plan

Third - Lets say a wild primitive animal even the size of a tiger is attack in a pen by a group of 18 men. The tiger is gonna shit itself even though its bigger.

Fourth - Primitive man wiped out the Saber tooth Tiger back in the day with nothing but sticks and stones and now they where big.

Finally - I recon this would be a top notch show.

Oh and on the main point. Reality tv sucks. I feel disapointed with myself if i watch some guy making a fool of himself in a house full of camaras

Edit
I am emailing the tiger website ppl about this question hopefully I can get some confermation about any kind of outcome. Should be good for a laugh anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armok on 2004-03-10 16:39 ]</font>

Kiara
Mar 13, 2004, 12:10 AM
The only thing real about reality tv is the fact that isn't a cartoon. I remember when only talented people tried to sing, thanks to american idol and all the crap anyone can sing and get a record deal, that and there's always a second ratejudge and third rate person who knows jack about music and thinks being a complete jerk for no reason other than pleasing his ego is "cool."

If only they made a Survivor Oakland... Now that I'd watch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kiara on 2004-03-12 21:11 ]</font>

opaopajr
Mar 14, 2004, 07:19 AM
well, i got a chance to participate in the Nielson ratings.

and i put all reality TV shows because i need to watch something assinine and neutral to have something to talk about at the water cooler...

just kidding! god, i'd shoot myself first.

but i was part of the Nielson ratings polling. and i put stuff that i like. mostly PBS and C-SPAN stuff (i dig politics, education, and the arts - so sue me). i figured i'll just be their statistical anomaly, considering i'm not the average 20-something viewing dynamic.

oh i did tell them about how much i cannot stand american news shows and stupid reality tv shows (said in a more appropriate and diplomatic tone of course).

Cowboy
Mar 14, 2004, 09:20 AM
On 2004-03-14 04:19, opaopajr wrote:

oh i did tell them about how much i cannot stand american news shows

Which would actually be decent if they were not influenced by politics. Sometimes I wonder if the U.S.A. would be better if there were'nt political parties. But hey, THAT would require politicians to run for what they believe is better for the country, and not have to change that to fit the party standard just to get votes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sharkyland
Mar 17, 2004, 11:41 AM
I rarely watch tv anymore. I only watch it for cartoons.

BRTW2
Mar 19, 2004, 11:20 AM
Reality tv is what it is, a show. The first season of big brother was great, the american version anyway. Ever since then though, its all gone down hill. Fear factor is jsut stupid, but fun to watch people suffer thru terrible things, for a small sum of money that half of which will go towards rehab and therapy. Of course, real shows are better than reality tv, at least they have a set story line, not some stupid one that is layed out by directors and played out by fake people.