PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers

flash_fire
Mar 11, 2004, 10:15 PM
This is my rant about Teenagers and other younger kids.

First:

It's rather annoying how so many (from now on I will refer to all the subjects of this rant as teens) teens think they are so much more intelligent than those around them. While in a few special cases this is true, the vast majority of the time it is the imagination and arrogance of the teen. Nearly all people go through that phase where they think they know everything, and I found a nice poster that tells the teens what they can do about feeling that everything around them sucks. It says something like:
Hey Teens! Are your parents being unfair? Are you tired of all the rules where you live? Well here's the solution. Get a Job and move out of your parents house while you still know everything.

Second:

Why must teens speak so foul that they would put a sailor to shame? Not all teens do this, but many do. Seriously, does it make them think they are more mature because they say "fuck" "bitch" "ass" "shit" ect.. every other word? It doesn't. It makes them seem immature and unintelligent because the only words they have in their vocabulary are curse words.

Note this rant spawned from my observing of my little 17 year old sister and her friends earlier today, just incase anyone was wondering where I pulled this from.

Cowboy
Mar 11, 2004, 10:21 PM
What's sad is that I'm 17, and I agree that most teenagers fit that description you've given perfectly. They think they're adults, yet they don;t have enough life experience to actuallity have the maturity and be able to bear the responisibilty that comes with being an adult.

Theyre at the age where they are almost legally an adult, are getting more freedom, and feel the urge to prove themsleves :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tracon on 2004-03-11 19:25 ]</font>

Bradicus
Mar 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
Heh, last year i finally learned enough to know that i know nothing.

As a suburb-dwelling white teenage male, i have yet to feel intense hate nor real love. I have never felt true want or discomfort, and my life has been a relative breeze. My opinions are empty.

I R teh noob, but i can live with it.

flash_fire
Mar 11, 2004, 10:32 PM
Tracon you hit on something I ment to say but forgot... Life Experience. Most teens don't have enough because they simply haven't been alive long enough. So this lack of experience often clouds their judgment because they don't have enough to base their thoughts on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-11 19:33 ]</font>

Sord
Mar 11, 2004, 10:48 PM
well, I'm smarter than most my age, though i know there are kids smarter than me at my age. And no doubt adults are smart to.

As for cursing, i just do it when something ticks me off, and it's usually inaudible. Since adults treat this as a mor "powerful" word, our minds tend to believe it means things to a higher degree, and it lets off some stress. At least for me. Occasionally though i'll start cussing sub-conciously, then i'm like. AH! stop that! and i quit.

Sef
Mar 11, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well, I've heard it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I agree with what you're saying flash_fire. I go to Highschool right now and I see atleast 1000 people like that a day. It seems to be more around the Highschool age group than the younger children.

Although I some times I feel that I'm smarter than others. Not on a brag to the whole world how they're stupid level, though. I curse occasionally too, but it's just something that slips. I suppose it's just something I grew up with.

flash_fire
Mar 11, 2004, 11:00 PM
Yes, everyone goes through the phases where they know everything and where they curse alot. I understand it and I can accept it as long as its not permanant and they make an effort to not do those things around me. It just gets kinda annoying when my 13 year old younger sister is saying things like " fuck off cock sucking mother fucker" and my 17 year old younger sister must always be right. The things I said don't fit everyone, just quite a few people fall into that category.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-11 20:02 ]</font>

rising_sunset
Mar 11, 2004, 11:00 PM
On 2004-03-11 19:15, flash_fire wrote:

Why must teens speak so foul that they would put a sailor to shame? Not all teens do this, but many do. Seriously, does it make them think they are more mature because they say "fuck" "bitch" "ass" "shit" ect.. every other word? It doesn't. It makes them seem immature and unintelligent because the only words they have in their vocabulary are curse words.

I would have to agree with that, -___- Many of my friends bf cuss a lot. And I don't really like them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Sagasu
Mar 12, 2004, 12:47 AM
On 2004-03-11 19:32, flash_fire wrote:
Tracon you hit on something I ment to say but forgot... Life Experience. Most teens don't have enough because they simply haven't been alive long enough. So this lack of experience often clouds their judgment because they don't have enough to base their thoughts on.

True / false

Teens also can see with eyes unclouded by hate, so to speak. If it weren't for these optimistic youths that challeneged every rule, mankind would have progressed nowhere. Sometimes, its good to see all sides of the playing feild. Once you leave your parents house and have to secure a chunk of this miserable mud ball, you tend to accept things as they are, because you don't think of changing it.

We all must learn, learning by mistakes is one of those things that we all must face. I'm 13 and have already clamped my mind onto future things. But I will not sit still doing what I think is wrong. As long as someone has a will to fight, by all means they'll continue to do so. Growing up as an atheist / anarchist hasn't done me too many favors.

So I guess I'm saying that there are two sides to the coin, it'd be wise to look at both sides of the coin before ranting.

No human has the right to judge the other, but by hell everybody seems to love to http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

navci
Mar 12, 2004, 01:00 AM
Teens scare me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
A group of teen is like the scariest thing to see in a mall. A group burst out of laughter when you walk by really makes you wonder if there is something wrong and funny about you.

It works really well on people who are insecure and paranoid like me. *shudder*
When I was agoraphobia, this is one of those things that would make me run home immediately after working up the courage to go outside. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

flash_fire
Mar 12, 2004, 01:01 AM
Hah, well a person is much more likely to make a bad decision if they don't have any past experiences to draw from that tells them something is quite stupid, than if they do have that experience. Often Teens have an Idealistic view of the world around them and can think of good answers that should, but WON'T work because the way things work isn't what they thought it was. And why didn't they know it wouldn't work? Because they haven't been out and around long enough to discover how Life really works.

By your thoughts it would be quite reasonable for a 14/15 year old girl to trust a strange man who would like her to come with him (this man is a rapist of course) because her eyes are "unclouded with hate". She had trust in this man due to her own lack of experience.

LoL Navi, thats funny, but True. Alot of times groups of teens together somewhere can be Very annoying (Loud Talking, Loud Laughter seemingly directed at you! Much Cursing, Throwing of Food, Fighting, and even sometimes they think its funny to be cruel to the people around them to get a laugh).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-11 22:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-11 22:09 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 12, 2004, 03:49 AM
On 2004-03-11 19:31, Bradicus wrote:

As a suburb-dwelling white teenage male, i have yet to feel intense hate nor real love. I have never felt true want or discomfort, and my life has been a relative breeze. My opinions are empty.

I wasn't really gonna say anything different. Brad's got my point of view right there.

Ness
Mar 12, 2004, 06:17 AM
I'm 16 and it's upsetting that the attitudes of some teenagers cause people to gerneralize us like this. I honestly don't know what's so good about cussing. It doesn't prove anything but the fact that you can say a bunch of swear words. Most of the teenagers I've seen that act like their "bad ass" are usually in the 13-15 age range and some are even 11 and 12.

I made an article about this last year which you can find below this line of text:

http://theshadowzone.kimugroup.com/thirteen_year.htm

Armok
Mar 12, 2004, 06:31 AM
I find my teenaged friends obcession with saying 'she'd get it' and jumping up and down everytime a fit woman comes on the tv. Far more annoying than his bad language.

It was funny the first time, not the second, third or fourth. I know your straight mate but for god sake you don't need to prove it by acting like an chimp in heat everytime you see a bloody woman on telly.

KodiaX987
Mar 12, 2004, 08:17 AM
According to a recent study, 98% of teenagers believe that breathing makes you look gay.

Sadly enough, this on-the-fly survey isn't so far from the truth...

Ness
Mar 12, 2004, 09:22 AM
On 2004-03-12 05:17, KodiaX987 wrote:
According to a recent study, 98% of teenagers believe that breathing makes you look gay.

Sadly enough, this on-the-fly survey isn't so far from the truth...

That's another thing I find funny about several teenagers. They think they know alot about homosexuality. This one kid said to me," You looked gay today when you walked to the bus." Like some 15 year old kis is really an authority on what makes people gay. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

flash_fire
Mar 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
Heh, gotta love it when kids throw around Gay as an insult. In todays world, if it's bad, it must be gay right?

PaleKid15
Mar 12, 2004, 12:04 PM
It seems that a huge part of your argument against teens is thier lack of life experience.
#1- sometimes that is a good thing
#2- an intelligent person can draw knowlege from the experiences of others (as I do)
#3- as was mentioned earlier, most "adults" just eaccept the fact that the world sucks beause they have been in it's presence too long. While teens hate the world and think to themselves, "I don't want to live in this hell-hole."
Ending on a positive note for intellectual teens, some bills are being looked over to lower the voting age in the U.S. to 14.

KaFKa
Mar 12, 2004, 12:04 PM
this post is made twoards noone in particular...

on the "know everything": im 18 and i know a whole lot more than most people in my age group (but loooking at everyone else in the age group, it doesent take much more than a trained chimp to do better than the majority). but based on my past experiances, i know how most things should and shouldnt work. not to say that im always right, there have been times that i've been wrong to the unteenth degree.

on constant swearing/cursing: its just habit for most of them, since back in the childhood days you had to swear, curse, etc to get your point across to the other thick-headed kids. when im at home by myself every other word that comes out of my mouth is a curse most of the time, but thats just because its a bad habit. when im around other people i clean up my language as to not sound like a complete moron. i guess its just that most 'teens' are less considerate and belligerent about the world around them.

flash_fire
Mar 12, 2004, 01:05 PM
On 2004-03-12 09:04, PaleKid15 wrote:
It seems that a huge part of your argument against teens is thier lack of life experience.
#1- sometimes that is a good thing
#2- an intelligent person can draw knowlege from the experiences of others (as I do)
#3- as was mentioned earlier, most "adults" just eaccept the fact that the world sucks beause they have been in it's presence too long. While teens hate the world and think to themselves, "I don't want to live in this hell-hole."

1. I don't agree and don't see how...

2. I agree with that. A person of normal intelligence should be able to learn from others experiences, and a person of above normal intelligence should be able to use that knowledge almost as well as if it were their own.

3. I don't think thats right because most adults are unhappy with their situation as well. They simply don't do anything because they are too lazy or afraid of living differently than they have been. The same is true of many teens. Were they given the chance to change their situation, many wouldn't because of the same reasons.

People are afraid of change and the unknown, this goes for younger people as well as adults.

Aceizace
Mar 12, 2004, 02:59 PM
I don't think you're being entirely fair. I mean, Sarunakai, that was the best thing i've heard anyone say in so long! And you're 13! I think it's too easy to sterotype teenagers just like that, you've got to think about it. I'm 15 and the people i hang around with at school are decent people. We are mainly all christian, but we wouldn't care if one of the others wasn't, we are polite, friendly, and peaceful but at the same time, we know how to enjoy life. Want to know which 'group' i'm in? The grungers, the rockers, the punks. On the other hand, there are the rude boys, the trendies, the townies, who try and make our lives a living hell. They don't move out of the way in the corridor, they swear constantly, even to their own friends, they're all complete drugies and for some reason they always seem to be in control of any bad situation you get in, i really hate it!

For instance we walked past one while taking a speaker back to where it is kept, and he said 'what the fuck are you doing?' And not in an angry way or anything, he actually said it like he was intrested, i mean that sort of swearing is so pointless!

So in conclusion, there are way too many teens like you are describing, but you can't say the same for all of them. OK so it's wrong to think that we know everything, but then again, it's not exactly fair of adults to presume we know nothing. I've been shouted down so many times just because i'm yonger, i don't see why that should make a difference if i have a valid point to make.

That's one mess of a post. Sorry... hope you can make sense of it...

Sagasu
Mar 12, 2004, 04:03 PM
On 2004-03-11 22:01, flash_fire wrote:

By your thoughts it would be quite reasonable for a 14/15 year old girl to trust a strange man who would like her to come with him (this man is a rapist of course) because her eyes are "unclouded with hate". She had trust in this man due to her own lack of experience.

Only if the person is willing or plain stupid, would that happen. You misjudge common sense, Flash_Fire

Jehosaphaty
Mar 12, 2004, 05:09 PM
Henry Thoreau once gave the story of him going fishing to a pond and meeting a seemingly mentally challenged logger who, when asked fairly simple answers, responded even simplier. as thoreau pondered about life, and knowledge, he reasoned that maybe it was the simple who were the wisest (wisest at birth)...he reasoned this way because the world always analyzies things and loses part of what they are trying to learn by being complicated...simplicity, simplicity, simplicity...

i dont condone teenagers acting like assholes, but somtimes it is the younger who see things more clearly. that is not to say taht the younger dont act more immature. my point is to say, dont judge wisdom on age.

*also, thats about the only practical thing ive ever seen and read about thoreau and emerson in my opinion everything else they have to say is basically bs

Outrider
Mar 12, 2004, 06:02 PM
About the swearing thing - Some people might do it because they feel it makes them cool or more mature. Same thing goes for a lot of bad habits. I know many people who are convinced (though they don't openly admit... gotta actually listen to what they're saying to understand) that they're more mature based on the fact that they go out and get plastered every weekend.

_Ted_
Mar 12, 2004, 06:56 PM
On 2004-03-12 07:10, flash_fire wrote:
Heh, gotta love it when kids throw around Gay as an insult. In todays world, if it's bad, it must be gay right?

Do you think that maybe they don't tie its usage to much of anything? Maybe they treat it like saying "That Sucks!" No one ever thinks about the meaning of saying that, its just something they say.

I'm wondering what the ignorant masses are doing right now while we are here bad mouthing them?

Sef
Mar 12, 2004, 07:03 PM
Hmmm...

I used to say, "Gay." as an expression of something bad happening. I never meant it in any sexual way. Not sure how it slipped into my vocabulary, though.

I think it was just mainly used when someone did something stupid or something stupid happened.

Car dies.
"Man, that was gay."
Friend killed me in a game.
"Ah, you're gay."

I suppose the second one can be a bit difficult.

anwserman
Mar 12, 2004, 07:13 PM
On 2004-03-12 15:56, _Ted_ wrote:

Do you think that maybe they don't tie its usage to much of anything? Maybe they treat it like saying "That Sucks!" No one ever thinks about the meaning of saying that, its just something they say.

I'm wondering what the ignorant masses are doing right now while we are here bad mouthing them?

Ah yes... it is just something you say. And if freakin' sucks. Thankfully, I literally survived high-school to realize that fact that the word will be used over and over, and I've used it on occasion... typically when I'm alone and pissed off at somebody. But, to a lot of questioning teenagers, they'll take the words personally - I once did, add in uncertainy and you might get an attempted or completed suicide on your hands.

But the thing is, it becomes so ingrained in your mind that you cannot really control when you say it until AFTER you've said it... by kicking something in frustration because you want to stop using the word.

You would be very surprised about how people try to stop using those words after knowing someone who is gay (in real life.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-03-12 16:15 ]</font>

Solstis
Mar 12, 2004, 07:37 PM
On 2004-03-12 16:13, anwserman wrote:

Ah yes... it is just something you say. And if freakin' sucks. Thankfully, I literally survived high-school to realize that fact that the word will be used over and over, and I've used it on occasion... typically when I'm alone and pissed off at somebody. But, to a lot of questioning teenagers, they'll take the words personally - I once did, add in uncertainy and you might get an attempted or completed suicide on your hands.

But the thing is, it becomes so ingrained in your mind that you cannot really control when you say it until AFTER you've said it... by kicking something in frustration because you want to stop using the word.

You would be very surprised about how people try to stop using those words after knowing someone who is gay (in real life.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-03-12 16:15 ]</font>

I think I stopped myself from thinking "gay" or "fag".. too much. It really gets stuck in your head, like you said.

I walked past some peeps and thought, "What a bunch of fags." I realized what my mind had said and cursed at myself.

Ugh. I hate society sometimes.

lain2k3
Mar 12, 2004, 10:36 PM
I really dont like most people my age. Some of them can be quite funny, others can hold an imtelligent conversation, and a few you can really open up to. But the majority of teens are complete idiots. No offense, but the demographic I can't stand the most are African American females. I know many of you will agree that these tend to the THE LOUDEST people on Earth. They scream at ear bursting pitches to get someones attention, you look at them like "wtf are you doing?" and they bust out with a thought provoking catch-phrase, such as: "YOU GOTTA PROBLEM BIATCH!?!?" which will promptly cause one a case of temporary deafness.

Sorry If I now come off as racist, but that is just my experience.

As for the common swearing and cursing, I do it. I wont deny it, but my mother was never very careful about her language choices, or what she had a fucking tantrum about. I usually try to shrug off pretty much everything that happens. I do usually want to pound my sisters face to a pulp for being such a whiny little bitch ALL THE TIME, but keep it to myself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[/rant]

Armok
Mar 13, 2004, 08:12 AM
I remember when a flatmates friend came over from america one time.

He went up to the bar and ordered a Vodka and lime. Comes back and my mate goes 'for god sake buy a mans drink u fucking puff'.

Allos
Mar 13, 2004, 11:44 AM
On 2004-03-11 19:31, Bradicus wrote:

Same for me.

But what I notice is that the attitudes spoken of previously come from influence (music and tv). Look at all the younger teens and pre-teens dressing like they're "from the hood" or "being independent" (with all their friends). Usually the most arrogant attitudes belong to the teens who can't even drive yet (little bastards!).

I personally don't agree with the whole "falling into a group" thing either. "Rappers" and "Rockers" are posers in my book. They have no idea what the songs are talking about and they may never know.

I fall into the neutral category to those that put me into a group. Also known as the "average guy" categor (did I mention that the categories are based on how you dress? That's completely stupid). Anyway though, it's because I wear the clothes that I like. I don't check to see if it's "in style" or "out of my social group".

Noone
Mar 14, 2004, 02:56 PM
I think only half of teens fit into the stereo type. The reason i believe that is that teens that act loudly and obnoxiously are noticed more, so you don't notice the quieter and more thoughtful types which also comprise the teen population.

However, i do believe that they act like know it alls in front of adults cause they're idiots or they want to be more independent by believing they are right which is a hell of an annoying thing. I don't do it often, but when i hear someone act like they're always right or they "know it" it's makes me want to hit them. I think i'm contradicting myself since i'm a teen.

Aceizace
Mar 14, 2004, 03:45 PM

Well.... i don't mean to argue, i don't think i use 'gay' very often anymore (it's still funny when someone says it at random tho, like 'ahh... you're gay' when you've never heard them say it before in your life), however when you think literally lots of things don't make sense. *Gets book of idioms*

OK i opened it on the cat page:
"Curiosity killed the cat"
"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

The knife and fork page:
"A fork in the road"

The jam page:
"To be in a jam"
"Traffic jam"

As you can see, you cant take everything, well, almost anything, at face value when it comes to the english language. 305 pages of english idioms in this book... that shows something, no?

KodiaX987
Mar 14, 2004, 08:55 PM
On 2004-03-13 05:12, Armok wrote:
I remember when a flatmates friend came over from america one time.

He went up to the bar and ordered a Vodka and lime. Comes back and my mate goes 'for god sake buy a mans drink u fucking puff'.

Motherfucking WORD!!! Too often I have been called a girl just because I happen to like Smirnoff Ice.

Outrider
Mar 14, 2004, 09:23 PM
On 2004-03-14 11:56, Noone wrote:
so you don't notice the quieter and more thoughtful types which also comprise the teen population.

Emo kids. It's true, they do exist.

astuarlen
Mar 14, 2004, 11:09 PM
Wtf is an emo kid? >_> I've never found out the actual definition of emo... :[

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2004-03-14 20:10 ]</font>

_Ted_
Mar 14, 2004, 11:13 PM
On 2004-03-14 12:45, Aceizace wrote:

Well.... i don't mean to argue, i don't think i use 'gay' very often anymore (it's still funny when someone says it at random tho, like 'ahh... you're gay' when you've never heard them say it before in your life), however when you think literally lots of things don't make sense. *Gets book of idioms*

OK i opened it on the cat page:
"Curiosity killed the cat"
"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

The knife and fork page:
"A fork in the road"

The jam page:
"To be in a jam"
"Traffic jam"

As you can see, you cant take everything, well, almost anything, at face value when it comes to the english language. 305 pages of english idioms in this book... that shows something, no?

Hey, I just want to clarify on my quote up there so as not to offend anyone. I am not condemning condoning, or otherwise passing judgement. I was just tossing out a reason for why "gay" might be used like that without the people saying it meaning anything hurtful. Nonetheless I am not saying that it is a good thing to use it like that.

hollowtip
Mar 15, 2004, 12:17 AM
On 2004-03-14 17:55, KodiaX987 wrote:

Motherfucking WORD!!! Too often I have been called a girl just because I happen to like Smirnoff Ice.

Smirnoff Ice is a girl drink, and it has barely any alcohol. If that's your alcoholic beverage of choice then I would have to agree with your peers and friends.

_Ted_
Mar 15, 2004, 12:19 AM
Whoa, hollowtip beating down KodiaX987 ? I don't think he's going to stand for that!

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 01:55 AM
On 2004-03-14 20:09, astuarlen wrote:

Depends on who you ask, and what definition you wanna use. Essentially? Emo is emotional rock. Emo kids are the ones who listen to it. Dashboard Confessional, for example, is emo. As much as people may want to lie to you, Brand New is not emo, but just the brand of punk that has been recently branded as such. (However, emo is originally a branching-off of punk music. Ugh, this is getting way too complicated.)

Rainbowlemon
Mar 15, 2004, 09:44 AM
On 2004-03-14 21:19, _Ted_ wrote:
Whoa, hollowtip beating down KodiaX987 ? I don't think he's going to stand for that!

Lols!

What's wrong with Smirnoff Ice? Ok, so it's not very alcoholic, but it tastes nice!

I'm a straight Vodka drinker, but still get called a girl, so i just say, 'well, if it is a girl's drink, why don't you try a whole half litre bottle to yourself?' They shut up after that...

On topic, teenagers are what they are. I'm 17 myself, and am one of them people that is naturally good friends with everyone in my year, and I can safely say that there is no justice in stereotyping. Some people are rude and callous, some smiley and friendly - there is an equal share of all different types of people, and if all you see is teenagers cursing and being a nuisance, then you are 'looking' in the wrong places!

~ Antimony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antimony on 2004-03-15 06:44 ]</font>

Aceizace
Mar 15, 2004, 10:18 AM
Ugh i think most alchohol is horrible full stop. Although sake is growning on me... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif. Either way i'd rather have a dr. pepper or an irn bru.

As for the gay thing, i wasn't suggesting that you thought it was ok to call anyone that, i was just simply adding to your argument, noting that the english language is rubbish. And if anyone was reading my 'my little rant 1', well you'll be happy to know that the english language is going to be 'my little rant 2'. It won't be up for a while 'cos i gotta write it still, lol.

derBauer
Mar 15, 2004, 10:42 AM
I can't even stand going to the mall anymore because of all the trash that walks around thinking they're tough. I wish my brother was with me. He trains to fight in UFC's and he could probably destroy a group of 6 of these people. He doesn't look like much either so I'm sure they would be willing to mouth off at him like they do to everyone else. I don't think its just teenagers, it's people in general.

lain2k3
Mar 15, 2004, 09:38 PM
On 2004-03-14 22:55, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-14 20:09, astuarlen wrote:

Depends on who you ask, and what definition you wanna use. Essentially? Emo is emotional rock. Emo kids are the ones who listen to it. Dashboard Confessional, for example, is emo. As much as people may want to lie to you, Brand New is not emo, but just the brand of punk that has been recently branded as such. (However, emo is originally a branching-off of punk music. Ugh, this is getting way too complicated.)

In other words, Its a bunch of the kids this rant started about, only they like to pretend that they can play insturments and can sing.

I cannot name a single band on Earth that was good when the majority of the members were young. (15-22)

KodiaX987
Mar 15, 2004, 10:30 PM
On 2004-03-14 21:17, hollowtip wrote:

Smirnoff Ice is a girl drink, and it has barely any alcohol. If that's your alcoholic beverage of choice then I would have to agree with your peers and friends.

That's my beverage of choice, period. BTW, that's 7.5% alcohol, which is most likely more than your average beer.

But if I want actual alcohol, I take one part orange juice, one part 7-Up and one part of dry gin and mix all that shit up in a nice big glass. It's a bitch to stomach but it tastes like heaven. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Outrider
Mar 16, 2004, 12:35 AM
On 2004-03-15 18:38, lain2k3 wrote:

On 2004-03-14 22:55, Outrider wrote:

In other words, Its a bunch of the kids this rant started about, only they like to pretend that they can play insturments and can sing.

I cannot name a single band on Earth that was good when the majority of the members were young. (15-22)

Oh stop whining.

Ness
Mar 16, 2004, 12:44 AM
On 2004-03-14 18:23, Outrider wrote:

so you don't notice the quieter and more thoughtful types which also comprise the teen population.

Don't make me laugh. Emos and Gothics are the biggest fakes I ever met. Most of them don't even know what the hell they are talking about.

Outrider
Mar 16, 2004, 01:01 AM
On 2004-03-15 21:44, Ness wrote:

Don't make me laugh. Emos and Gothics are the biggest fakes I ever met. Most of them don't even know what the hell they are talking about.

Well, Goth kids have been around for a bit longer, from what I've seen. I honestly can't take any of them seriously. The big-time Emo kids are really hard to take seriously also. You can't honestly be sad about everything, can you?

Man, but you gotta love the punk rock kids. They think everything is "so punk rock!"

Allos
Mar 16, 2004, 03:32 PM
On 2004-03-15 22:01, Outrider wrote:

Well, Goth kids have been around for a bit longer, from what I've seen. I honestly can't take any of them seriously. The big-time Emo kids are really hard to take seriously also. You can't honestly be sad about everything, can you?

Man, but you gotta love the punk rock kids. They think everything is "so punk rock!"

Again, it's being independent.............with all your friends.

Outrider
Mar 16, 2004, 03:45 PM
On 2004-03-16 12:32, Allos wrote:

Y'know, I've been trying to use that line for months... and very few people get it. It's too bad.

opaopajr
Mar 17, 2004, 06:50 AM
on the topic of drinks... i totally dig sissy drinks. they are so tasty. unfortunately they tend to sneak up on you, so be very careful kids. alcohol is a drug that deserves a quite deal of respect when indulged.

but i totally love them pina coladas, margaritas, mai thais, mint julips, etc. they so tasty! and sometimes they even give you chotchkes, like little umblrellas and flowers! it's like so cool! take a flower and put it in your hair, take the orange slice and use it as your smile, take your friends' bottle caps from beer for eyes and go bob-bob-bobbing along the dancefloor! whoohoo good times good times! yeah, gotta watch those sissy drinks, they'll do a number on ya.

and i totally love a good martini or champagne. but i seriously recommend plum wine and tez. tez is this delicious effervescent (that means bubbly) honey based ethiopian wine. it's sooo goood! it's sweet and tangy and the bubbles tickle my nose! tee hee!

Majadamus
Mar 17, 2004, 04:19 PM
Hey Teens! Are your parents being unfair? Are you tired of all the rules where you live? Well here's the solution. Get a Job and move out of your parents house while you still know everything.

Hey, I'm 19 and still live my parents with a pain in the ass brother. (All siblings are a pain, but you don't know an asshole till you meet my brother.) That poster speaks to me. I hate living in my house, that's why I go to college so I can get a job to get the hell out of there and plus I live in a dorm and I still have to go by their cause they pay my tuition.

But, don't assume all teens are arrogant and immature. Hey, I'm mature...most of the time. And you stereotyping teens like this is very immature.

Next time before you stereotype a group of people make sure you get to know the whole group of people.

Ness
Mar 17, 2004, 04:31 PM
On 2004-03-16 12:45, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-16 12:32, Allos wrote:

Y'know, I've been trying to use that line for months... and very few people get it. It's too bad.

Those noconformists are all alike.

Shattered_weasel
Mar 17, 2004, 04:35 PM
fuck.....now im cool right???

Armok
Mar 18, 2004, 08:23 AM
Ok on all the issues here

About girly drinks:
Vodka is not a girls drink it is a very damgerous strong alcohol and I personally don't drink it due to my friend and I downed 500ml each of the stuff next thing I know i woke up with just a swollen hand and cheek (apparently we'd had a fight in the street). Also most teenagers would rather drink sweet alcoholic drinks but are eventually turn to Beers due to cheaper prices and peer pressure.

About Goths and moshers
No offence to anyone here who is one but I dont get the whole 'i'm making a statement'. Your not making a statement your just to ugly to wear normal clothes so make yourselves look I you don't care about these things, when really you do you sad losers. Have you ever seen a really fit Goth *point made*.

About teenagers hanging on corners
Me and my mate ed battered some teens who started on us after a night out. Unfortunatly I got their blood on my fav top doh. In general if you act confident they back over fairly quickly just make a point to act relaxed and don't look the otherway as you go past (they see it as a signel to attack).

Outrider
Mar 18, 2004, 03:35 PM
On 2004-03-18 05:23, Armok wrote:
Have you ever seen a really fit Goth *point made*.

Um, yes. Yes I have, actually. Several, come to think of it. Maybe the ones at my high school were just really into fitness?

Armok
Mar 19, 2004, 08:01 AM
On 2004-03-18 12:35, Outrider wrote:
Um, yes. Yes I have, actually. Several, come to think of it. Maybe the ones at my high school were just really into fitness?

I ment really good looking not physical strength wise. Anyway maybe it sjust over here in england that its the case. Or maybe its cos i hated them all so much from my 6th form days.

Brute
Mar 25, 2004, 07:08 AM
Yep..First post here and i decided to post it here...I'm so special.

Back onto the subject..Teenagers, Ick...I loathe my foul brethren, I'm 14 and i've basically ripped myself from society.Want to try it too?Try these easy steps!

1)Homeschool..Makes school alot easier, Not having to deal with slow teachers and other kids..Get yourself inside some kind of umbrella program if you want college, so you can get a HS degree.

2)Removal of parasitical information..Yeah, thats right..Friends!If they're the mass with no brain, dump them..Who needs FRIENDS when you have the internet?[Exceptions can be made]

3)Nirvana, Finding Ones Self, Complete Consciousness..You can call it other things too but what i'm talking about is spirituality..Completing yourself..When you are alone and haven't the mass to pressure you, You can do all sorts of things!I sure did..And look at me now!

Yep yep...Goodbye everyone. -Goes back to listening to Squarepusher-

[Note to anyone who has read this far : most of the above statements were done in a very sarcastic manner, Though i do find myself in this position of being (very willingly) alone. Welp, Off i go]

flash_fire
Mar 25, 2004, 09:54 AM
On 2004-03-17 13:19, Majadamus wrote:

Hey, I'm 19 and still live my parents with a pain in the ass brother. (All siblings are a pain, but you don't know an asshole till you meet my brother.) That poster speaks to me. I hate living in my house, that's why I go to college so I can get a job to get the hell out of there and plus I live in a dorm and I still have to go by their cause they pay my tuition.

But, don't assume all teens are arrogant and immature. Hey, I'm mature...most of the time. And you stereotyping teens like this is very immature.

Next time before you stereotype a group of people make sure you get to know the whole group of people.

I do believe somewhere in one of my posts on this board I used the word most somewhere.

On 2004-03-11 19:32, flash_fire wrote:

Most teens.....

That should let you know that there are exceptions. If it doesn't then please go look up the word "most" in the dictionary. The word most does not mean all, it means, quoted from a dictionary:

1: To a great degree or extent:
2: Just about; almost:
3: Frequently; often:

I also included this in one of my Posts. Dunno if you saw that.

On 2004-03-11 20:00, flash_fire wrote:

The things I said don't fit everyone, just quite a few people fall into that category.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-25 07:01 ]</font>

Majadamus
Mar 25, 2004, 03:55 PM
*Rolls eyes* Ya, I know what you said. You said most teens are immature. That is still stereotyping. That is like saying that most asians are smart when you probably don't even know really anything about them. Maybe most the teens you come into contact with are immature, but most the people I'm around, which are teens, are not like that.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2004, 04:37 PM
On 2004-03-25 12:55, Majadamus wrote:
*Rolls eyes* Ya, I know what you said. You said most teens are immature. That is still stereotyping. That is like saying that most asians are smart when you probably don't even know really anything about them. Maybe most the teens you come into contact with are immature, but most the people I'm around, which are teens, are not like that.

Are you a teenager? It's fairly insignificant, but being in my last year or so of being a teenager, I'll be the first to admit that teenagers are immature. Sure, we can be deep and mature if we want, but for the most part, we as a group are usually not. To be fair, that can last for a long while after...

Ness
Mar 25, 2004, 04:47 PM
On 2004-03-25 12:55, Majadamus wrote:

Actually, the word "most" keeps a phrase from being stereotype becasue you are considering the few that usually are a deviation. Thus you are no longer generalizing.

Majadamus
Mar 25, 2004, 05:07 PM
Stereotype- A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

There ya go.

I thought the opinion was a little "oversimplified" so I called it a stereotype.

You have to realize teenagers are still not fully adults. And the teenagers that I hang are usually mature. Hey, it's all an opinion.

Man, I hate when I have to get grammatical on a forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Majadamus on 2004-03-25 14:10 ]</font>

flash_fire
Mar 25, 2004, 05:50 PM
If you believed it was a stereotype, then I probably won't be able to change your mind, but I specifically wrote those disclaimers in an attempt to keep what I wrote from being interpreted that way. Oh, I probably spelled alot of that wrong, but you can probably understand what I ment anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-25 14:51 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Mar 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
I don't care if it's considered a stereotype or not. I eat teenagers for breakfast. They're great rotisserie-style.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 25, 2004, 09:24 PM
With all of their shortcomings, flaws, sense of immortality, and attitude... even with that, I would like to be a teenager again. Not to do things differently, but to feel alive, to have that sense that somehow it might get better... youth, what a grandiose concept. It is ill to waste it on seriousness of life. For life will teach you it in due time. *sigh* To be a teen, to have dreams, to actually believe, the illusion, the falsehood of it all, it was blissfull.

I miss the mornings, those glorious mornings of weekends, no school, no real "obligations", and put on anything and waste a day on absolutely nothing. Prank around and dance for no reason other than just for the sake of dancing. Make phonecalls, make outlandish plans for the night with friends... youth, the bitter sweet cup, how I miss that nectar that ambrosia.

Believe me in this, and pay heed, there will be a day, when you wish to go back, just like I do now.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2004, 10:04 PM
On 2004-03-25 18:24, Furankunichan wrote:
With all of their shortcomings, flaws, sense of immortality, and attitude... even with that, I would like to be a teenager again. Not to do things differently, but to feel alive, to have that sense that somehow it might get better... youth, what a grandiose concept. It is ill to waste it on seriousness of life. For life will teach you it in due time. *sigh* To be a teen, to have dreams, to actually believe, the illusion, the falsehood of it all, it was blissfull.

I miss the mornings, those glorious mornings of weekends, no school, no real "obligations", and put on anything and waste a day on absolutely nothing. Prank around and dance for no reason other than just for the sake of dancing. Make phonecalls, make outlandish plans for the night with friends... youth, the bitter sweet cup, how I miss that nectar that ambrosia.

Believe me in this, and pay heed, there will be a day, when you wish to go back, just like I do now.

And now I'm depressed... I only have a couple years left before I'll be out on my own! Argh.

_Ted_
Mar 26, 2004, 12:09 AM
On 2004-03-25 19:04, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-25 18:24, Furankunichan wrote:

And now I'm depressed... I only have a couple years left before I'll be out on my own! Argh.

Is this turning into a "Life Sucks" thread?

Cheep
Mar 26, 2004, 12:52 AM
On 2004-03-11 19:15, flash_fire wrote:
This is my rant about Teenagers and other younger kids.

First:

It's rather annoying how so many (from now on I will refer to all the subjects of this rant as teens) teens think they are so much more intelligent than those around them. While in a few special cases this is true, the vast majority of the time it is the imagination and arrogance of the teen. Nearly all people go through that phase where they think they know everything, and I found a nice poster that tells the teens what they can do about feeling that everything around them sucks. It says something like:

Second:

Note this rant spawned from my observing of my little 17 year old sister and her friends earlier today, just incase anyone was wondering where I pulled this from.

Umm I don't think I'm like that, but most of my grade at the grade below me are like this. As is my brother with the swearing. I reall don't understand. Maybe they want to seem "grown up"? I'm bafeled about this too, I've always acted my own way, is that the right thing to do? I don't wanna be like everyone else especially if they're like that...Maybe I'll understand when I'm older.

Sagasu
Mar 26, 2004, 01:13 AM

Im always there behind you...

heh, yeah, there are a lot of wannabe's, and then there are those who just like teh clothes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Goths have a very nasty history, I doubt one out of ten goths would know what the feck I'm talking about when I describe a certain group of people from a certain time..

I have to admit, after I talk to them, they denounce their titles, or say whatever.. -_-;

But then I've met the hard-core peeps, now they, are the scary people I don't wan't to meet in a dark alley o.O;;

Brute
Mar 26, 2004, 05:40 AM

Richard D James AKA Aphex Twin, AFX, Polygon Window, Caustic Window, etc started making music when he was very young..His CD Select Ambient Works 1985-1992 contains work from when he was at least 14, onward..He's got a very great sense of melody and some see him as a modern day Beethoven and Mozart.
Truthfully, Alot of Rock/Metal bands sell out in the end nowadays..And this is why i consider myself a HUGE Electronic music advocate..Electronic music is far less contained and traditional as Rock,Metal..even of it. Oh and i am NOT talking about mainstream stuff like "Trance" and "Techno". The latter term is used by idiots who have no idea what real electronic music is, So they conform into the mass and think they're cool. Want some real Electronic music? Try out some Squarepusher..He's one of the best bass guitarists around and makes very good Drum/Drill'n'Bass and Jazz infused music. Aphex Twin is another, on the IDM (intelligent dance music, a very stupid term but it just seems to work..i'd prefer it being IEM or Intelligent Electronic Music because most is NOT very dancyish)scale..REAL Industrial/EBM ( Not "Nine Inch Nails" Or that pussy mainstream crap..Trent Reznor and all of those copy cats can go to hell )like Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, even old Throbbing Gristle from the 70s..Kraftwerk, the godfathers of modern day electronic music are a very good group too..From the late 60s to now. Want some more ambient?Go in the way of Tangerine Dream, who make very beautiful music and have been around for a very long time. Want something that'll both annoy you and make you want to go insane at the same time?Try out some Powerelectronics/Noise ala the japanese noisegod Merzbow, Who recently released a FIFTY CD boxset..TWENTY CDs of new material alone, and 30 full of unreleased stuff..Want some fast and hard music?Try out some Speedcore, Breakcore or Gabber/Gabba..Atari Teenage Riot would be a more mainstream version of this example but the man behind the music has his own soloproject, Alec Empire..Great stuff. the Industrial Fucking Strength Compilations are really good too. Yeah...i'm done rambling, So goodbye everybody.

Ness
Mar 26, 2004, 06:14 AM
On 2004-03-25 22:13, Sarunakai wrote:

heh, yeah, there are a lot of wannabe's, and then there are those who just like teh clothes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Goths have a very nasty history, I doubt one out of ten goths would know what the feck I'm talking about when I describe a certain group of people from a certain time..

I have to admit, after I talk to them, they denounce their titles, or say whatever.. -_-;

But then I've met the hard-core peeps, now they, are the scary people I don't wan't to meet in a dark alley o.O;;

Actually, there is no set definition about what being "Gothic" actually is. That's what I find funny. It means that all these kids are conforming to something that can't even define itself.

Sagasu
Mar 26, 2004, 02:23 PM
On 2004-03-26 03:14, Ness wrote:

On 2004-03-25 22:13, Sarunakai wrote:

Actually, there is no set definition about what being "Gothic" actually is. That's what I find funny. It means that all these kids are conforming to something that can't even define itself.

This mainly true because people don't even know what the goths are, or what they did. So, different styles and branches fan out, and the youth misunderstand and confuddle to situation more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif