PDA

View Full Version : [SHORT STORY] The Origin of Falz (Prelude to: Return of the

mr_rubbish
Mar 12, 2004, 05:58 PM
[SHORT STORY] The Origin of Falz (Prelude to: Return of the Shadow King)

Previous Short (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=77373&forum=12&18)

Not what really happened, but still....

__________________________________________________ _______________

Imagine if you will a world. Something so incredible, so alien, so very different to any world that people of Coral have visited. This place would probably be a Hunter's dream, a place where survival of the fittest would be the mantra of every living thing there. I think that this sort of thing would require some perspective to get the message across.

In the underground river linking the complex cave system below the Central dome to the Mining and Research Facility hidden in the mountains was a real monster. It was named 'De Rol Le' by scientists and it took two attempts by the Hunters Guild to kill it. The beast measured fourty-two metres in length and weighed twenty-three tonnes. Once its body was retrieved, me and my colleagues were able to get a good look at it and compare it to the data from Doctor Osto's research.

The first thing we were shocked to discover was that this thing was only one year old! Cell analysis determined that growth rate was normal and that it was not native to the planet Ragol. Where did it come from and how did it get here? The answers to both are interlinked.

Analysis of De Rol Le showed that it was asexual, namely it did not have 'true' reproductive organs. Instead, it used a series of tentacles to inject biological matter that Doctor Osto referred to as 'Parasite Cell D.' The cells would act like a virus, infecting cells of the host and transforming them into an eventual replica of the infector. It would seem that this method of propagation was ineffective here on Ragol. Though when I say ineffective that is not the entire story.

Creatures here would mutate under the effects of this parasitic agent, quite often with unpredictable results. They had several things in common though. They would become phenomenally hostile, large increases in strength and other attributes and development of organic 'weapon-like' features. I'm sure that on its native world it would not have this problem or it would surely face extinction.

Speaking of extinction, De Rol Le is not the worst that the seas of that terrible far away planet have seen. While De Rol Le is clearly carnivorous, it possess fearsome armour complete with spikes and bio-energy attacks. It would seem that even De Rol Le would have something to fear. What kind of monster would hunt that thing for food I wonder?

The discovery of the spaceship and the translation of the artifacts from it complete the picture. Through my conversations with my counterpart in Xenoarcheology, Doctor Fora Hesapore, I think I've pieced together something close to the truth.

Imagine if you will a world, populated by a great and powerful warrior race. One day from the sky came 'The Conqueror' with his giant ship, they called him 'Falz'. War commenced and both sides suffered heavily losses. It was during this time that The Conqueror became infected by a De Rol Le. Again because he was not a native of that planet, the results were different to what was expected.

Falz underwent an extensive transformation. He was reputed to have psionic abilities and these were enhanced. He infected his entire army to allow them to benefit of the gift he had received. He had become 'The Corruptor'. The tide of battle turned in his favour.

The strongest of their warriors, 'Rika Go Poumn' (Hunter of the Shadows), challenged and finally defeated this new and improved Falz, but there was a surprise in store. When Falz was defeated, his psionic abilities were such that instead of death, he ascended to the spiritual plane. There he remained until he could find a new physical host. He found one in the very warrior that had bested him.

In this new form Falz became even more powerful and they now called him 'Dark Falz'. It then fell upon another to face this monster. It was 'Kriz Go Rika' (Child of the Hunter) who successfully beat 'Dark Falz'. This time they took no chances and using their technology combined with that from Falz's ship they found a way to contain him.

Falz and his army of mutants were sealed in the ship and launched deep into space. Falz's power meant it was possible that he could not be destroyed permanantly so the ship was instructed to land at a planet as far away as was possible. Automatons placed on board would carry out the concealment of the ship and seal it forever, Falz's army would be guardians to stop intruders from awakening their master. The automatons would place warnings around the ship so that no one would ever unleash this nightmare again.

I guess they failed! History repeated itself with one of our greatest Hunters possessed and another just barely able to save us all. I have given the authorities my notes regarding these discoveries but all I get from them is silence. I dread to think what might happen now.

I have one more thought. Although analysing the glyphs that that ancient race left scattered around the ship is just a hobby for me, I think Rico Tyrell made a few small errors in her translations. At the Time, she had assumed the Falz was the name of the entity and so had not translated it. I believe that the word 'Falz' would translate into 'Ruler' or 'King'. Also where she calls him 'Dark Falz', the word they used can be used to stand for 'dark' but it seems that it it can also be used for 'nightmare'. Their choice of words for the name of 'The Corruptor' feels like more than just a colourful description, but then again, what do I know?

- Extracts from the journal of Chief Xenobiologist Kira Jovien

RubyEclipse
Mar 12, 2004, 06:22 PM
Cool story http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I have to hand it to you- you stayed right on top of the storyline, so kudos to you!

--Ruby Eclipse

Solstis
Mar 12, 2004, 07:33 PM
Solstis likey!

Very interesting (scratches chin)!

And no spelling errors (that I could find)!

Sunblast
Mar 13, 2004, 08:26 AM
Killer info, Rubbish! The information was all very factual, interesting, and well-presented. Nice work! Is this leading up to something?

mr_rubbish
Mar 13, 2004, 11:58 AM
RubyEclipse - Thank you. I stuck it together from stuff from the game with bits from various stories that I have written.

Solstis - Team B suck. I'm glad you like it.

Sunblast - Ah my number one fan! Yeah in theory it is leading up to something. It's a group fiction thing.
In 'Rise of the Machines (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=75732&forum=12&319)' a computer designed to ensure that Falz was never awoken failed and infected androids on Pioneer 2 with a virus.

The sequel to that was 'The Shadow King.' The Hunters once more descend into the Ruins to find 'The Corruptor'. (This one will not get written though).

This short short is set between 'The Shadow King' and the third in the trilogy: 'Return of the Shadow King'.

That group-fic will come as soon as I'm done with this group-fic contest. So expect it around the end of april probably.

Sagasu
Mar 13, 2004, 01:33 PM
Cool, its like writing an essay about pso http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

But much, much, better!

White_Knight
Mar 13, 2004, 05:08 PM
wow that's a cool opening can't wait for you to start up the rest of it for us

Sunblast
Mar 13, 2004, 05:42 PM
On 2004-03-13 08:58, mr_rubbish wrote:
Ah my number one fan!

I'm your number one fan? Wow, that's gotta mean you have self esteem issues (Just Kidding! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif). It's good to see you're still enjoying your group fics. They still scare the crap out of me. XD