PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Rant (BONUS 5000)

Reenee
Mar 14, 2004, 02:20 AM
The way I think has become a paradox of my mind.

Rather, the way we think has been so spontaneous. How did we come up with what we call "rules" or "morals" in the first place? I'm not talking about at this point of time; I'm talking about how did we agree on what is right and wrong in the first place. How? Why?

Or maybe there is no "Why". Maybe the only "why" is that there isn't. It was spontaneous. If there are some things that can happen spontaneously, then anything can, right?

Does reason keep us sane? What's stopping us from using reason as our base of logic? Insanity? Spontaneous actions?

*headache* o_o

_Ted_
Mar 14, 2004, 02:34 AM
As for the right/wrong and morals part, I believe that we must have some deep feeling that tells us what is right and what is wrong. Maybe defining what was what started out with some cave man. Maybe this caveman accidently clubbed his son over the head and killed him. Maybe he got a uneasy feeling from this, the same feeling that he got when he let a tiger eat his neighbor's kids.

I'm going to have to get back to this tommorow at a sane hour.

Sef
Mar 14, 2004, 08:23 AM
Nah, I don't think it's reason. It's the spontaneous things that do. People always react interestingly to that sort of thing.

And as for right and wrong? It just had to happen some how. But now you've got me thinking.

Aceizace
Mar 14, 2004, 03:52 PM
There was a refrence to this in my favorite books 'His Dark Materials' by Phillip Pullman. In this other world people have daemons, and you should never touch someone else's daemon. It's described as:

"No one told you, you just knew. Like how you knew that pain is bad and joy is good."

In the same sense, i'd say that from the start of time, everyone has known what feels good and what feels bad, whether it be pain, heartbreak, embarrass, annoyance or any feeling. We just build our rules on that, i mean when someone stole a farmer's sheep, he was hurt, so he put up a sign that said 'Steal my sheep and i'll kill you'. Something like that anyway...

Biblically, you need to think back to Noah's Ark. Everyone was full of sin and ignored God, all except Noah. So God destroyed everyone and everything, except two of every animal, and Noah's family. I guess, if you believe in that sort of thing, that the generation that was destoryed were the ones that knew no rules, no morals, so the next generation was taught to respect each other.

Do i get those bonus points, or is it just you? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sord
Mar 14, 2004, 03:58 PM
On 2004-03-14 12:52, Aceizace wrote:
There was a refrence to this in my favorite books 'His Dark Materials' by Phillip Pullman. In this other world people have daemons, and you should never touch someone else's daemon. It's described as:

Finally! Someone else has read that trilogy besides me!

Any ways, I think the reason we have things that are "right" and "wrong" is people found out that certain ways of acting gave better results in life then other types of acting. Thus it went on, people had their own ideas. Then, some people influeneced others, and told them their version of what was right and wrong. This was carried out through generations upon gernerations and so on and so on. Afterall, we all act in accordance with our surrounding, and it's impossible to say otherwise.

Aceizace
Mar 14, 2004, 04:20 PM
Lol, good books eh?

Does reason keep us sane? What's stopping us from using reason as our base of logic? Insanity? Spontaneous actions?

Reason keeps us sane, but if we had all the answers, there would be no point in life. I've always maintained that the most intresting things in life are the confusing ones. For instance the anime Neon Genisis Evangelion, damn near impossible to understand to a satisfactory standard, but once you do, it's all the more rewarding. Because it took me a long time to understand it, i was intrested in it for much much longer than i would've been if i understood everything.

PaleKid15
Mar 14, 2004, 05:22 PM
A crazy person doesn't know that they are crazy, so maybe everyone is insane. It would explain the current state of the world and human instinct. Think about that...

Hrith
Mar 14, 2004, 06:31 PM
On 2004-03-14 14:22, PaleKid15 wrote:
A crazy person doesn't know that they are crazy, so maybe everyone is insane. It would explain the current state of the world and human instinct. Think about that...
Exactly, Neo ! think of it logically, what is right or wrong depends on what the majority thinks of it, nothing else, it has always been the case, and since there is no way to prove the majority, as a whole, right or wrong, it will probably alway be the case.

How is that called ? ah, yeah, democracy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Democracy has flaws, true, but there is nothing better so far, so if someone is deemed "mad" because no one is able to understand them, well, too bad.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 15, 2004, 09:49 AM
On 2004-03-14 12:52, Aceizace wrote:

"No one told you, you just knew. Like how you knew that pain is bad and joy is good."

In the same sense, i'd say that from the start of time, everyone has known what feels good and what feels bad, whether it be pain, heartbreak, embarrass, annoyance or any feeling. We just build our rules on that, i mean when someone stole a farmer's sheep, he was hurt, so he put up a sign that said 'Steal my sheep and i'll kill you'. Something like that anyway...

Biblically, you need to think back to Noah's Ark. Everyone was full of sin and ignored God, all except Noah. So God destroyed everyone and everything, except two of every animal, and Noah's family. I guess, if you believe in that sort of thing, that the generation that was destoryed were the ones that knew no rules, no morals, so the next generation was taught to respect each other.

Do i get those bonus points, or is it just you? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well said, I couldn't have put it better. And I LOVE 'His Dark Materials'! My best book/trilogy ever!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

derBauer
Mar 15, 2004, 10:44 AM
Usually when I feel bad for doing something, I know it is wrong. Maybe that is how rules came about.

-Luke-
Mar 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
People realised that kicking someone in the nuts made them feel guilty, and the other person bad/in agony. I guess they realised it would be 'bad' to do the things that hurt other people.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
Instinct of Survival demanded order out of chaos to ensure survival of any organism.

PaleKid15
Mar 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
On 2004-03-14 15:31, Kef wrote:

On 2004-03-14 14:22, PaleKid15 wrote:
Exactly, Neo ! think of it logically, what is right or wrong depends on what the majority thinks of it, nothing else, it has always been the case, and since there is no way to prove the majority, as a whole, right or wrong, it will probably alway be the case.

How is that called ? ah, yeah, democracy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Democracy has flaws, true, but there is nothing better so far, so if someone is deemed "mad" because no one is able to understand them, well, too bad.

How Dare you reference me and the matrix in the same sentence (unless it's #1). There is something better already, but it has not been used under the right conditions yet. YAY oligarchy!