PDA

View Full Version : Mini College Rants

Outrider
Mar 22, 2004, 07:29 PM
None of this should really be taken seriously, I'm just venting. I'd rather not get on anybody's nerves since it's minor stuff, but I just wanna whine a bit. Feel free to ignore this.

1. Ok, first off? Stop opening the window in the bathroom at 7 in the morning! We're in Binghamton for God's sake! People shower in the bathroom! I don't like freezing to death whenever I go to take a shower, only to notice too late somebody opened the window. It's perfectly acceptable for the lady who cleans the bathroom to open the window, because I'm sure I wouldn't want to breathe in those chemicals, but she doesn't clean it until 11. There's no reason for it to be open before then!

2. This hasn't been a problem since last semester, but I can only imagine I'll have to deal with it at the beginning of next year. This is mostly for all the freshman girls. If you're going to stay with your boyfriend while going to different colleges, then actually do so. Either break up before school or don't mess around. It's ridiculous. The first month or so of school, you'll see the halls lined with sad girls on the telephone explaining to their boyfriend why they shouldn't go out anymore. Look, you went and hooked up with a guy at a party, stop pretending like you didn't do anything wrong. Either break up with them or stop crying in my hallway.

3. Ok, this one is pretty specific for my school. The frats should just shut up. If you're in a frat at my school, you're an idiot. There's nothing good of the frats at my school. I haven't even bothered going to any of their parties because I've been told they all suck. All they do is take up space at the dining hall and act like they're tough. You're not, dude. You're still the same whiny, preppy kid you were before, except you get to hook up with some ugly Long Island girls once in a blue moon. If you're so desperate to get drunk, make friends, or meet girls that your only option is to join a frat, you've got problems. There are easier ways to do all of those that don't require you pissing people off. Heck, I haven't even been bugged by frats direclty. I feel bad for the people who get pranked. I'm just sick of there never being any seats at the dining hall. Oh, and the same goes for sororities as well, except they're just all daddy's little princesses that recite retarded things at dinner. I think I can actually put up with the frats, it's just the annoying girls that go along with 'em.

4. Oh, right. This hardly ever happens, but stop trying to get people who don't drink to drink. If they don't, that's their choice. I'm so sorry if you're getting plastered on a Tuesday night and you think there's something wrong with people who don't. Shut up, you're an idiot.

Um, I think that's about it. Feel free to contribute any of your own rants relating to school. Again, don't bother to take any of these too seriously. I mean, I have friends that are part of the groups that I mentioned, so it's not like I hate everyone. I don't even hate anybody, I just get irked sometimes.

opaopajr
Mar 23, 2004, 05:18 AM
ahh, memories of dorm life...

all those images of college life straight out of animal house and stuff? lies. it's nowhere near as fun as that. if there was like smell-o-vision where you can savor the wafting fragrance of stale beer vomit soaked through carpets and a jackass screaming "WooHoo! This is so wild!" right next to your eardrum seeing his first real-life titty then you start to get close to what it's like.

yeah, it's all media hype kids, college ain't all that and a bag of chips party wise. intellectually though you can meet some really cool people, have great conversations, and if careful, chill with some of the people on the cusp of cool.

on #3 alone, about the frats, it's essentially the pent up tension of the second/third tier kids on the popularity ladder experimenting with all the 'taboo' they diligently missed out on through high school. they're just making up for lost time, and it shows. it's quite sad. getting plastered every other night, and the thrills of alcohol, were so passe' by sophmore year of high school at least, that if you still are all up about that you are at least 2 years too late to the party folks. oh, and for future reference, if you are stuck in a party where everyone is getting plastered either leave or get plastered yourself. nothing more tiresome than being the 'nanny' at the vomitorium.

ps: and the media rarely ever deals with the whacked out roommate. freaks that collect their urine and talk to themselves. god, the horror stories my friends and i have swapped...

Armok
Mar 23, 2004, 06:10 AM
Yer collage is full of wanna be complete jerks. The assumption that its the greatest place in the world and the best time of your life is a lie made up by

A, parents who want you to spend all your high school working super hard to get there, basically to get you to be a boring high school swot.
(if you where a boring bastard in school you really think your gonna change and suddenly become interesting and popular just because you made it to college)
B, Sad bastards that want to put down those that never went to collage. So as to seem like they have lead a more interesting life than someone whos say has had a job since 18.
(its a lie most parties are at weekends and only freshers have any money everyone else is limited to one cheap cheese night a week at best)

That is all

BogusKun
Mar 23, 2004, 12:18 PM
I dispise the d0rm! n00b! meh~!

-edit- the soda machines are fucking retarded! My coins get stuck in the machines and the dollar bills won't go trough any of the machines!!! How badly do I need Sprite????????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BogusKun on 2004-03-23 09:20 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 23, 2004, 01:19 PM
On 2004-03-23 02:18, opaopajr wrote:
oh, and for future reference, if you are stuck in a party where everyone is getting plastered either leave or get plastered yourself. nothing more tiresome than being the 'nanny' at the vomitorium.

Oh, I haven't really been in that situation. One of my friends was always getting pestered by her so-called "friends" at her dorm because she refuses to drink. She's not at a party... they'll walk right into her dorm and bug her. At least, I'm fairly sure that's how it was last semester. I think they've pretty much given up by now.

Yeah, one thing people have to understand is that college is not like Animal House. It can be great, and you can meet lots of cool people and try new things, just don't be a jerk.

And leave some seats in the dining hall!!!

Majadamus
Mar 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
4. Oh, right. This hardly ever happens, but stop trying to get people who don't drink to drink. If they don't, that's their choice. I'm so sorry if you're getting plastered on a Tuesday night and you think there's something wrong with people who don't. Shut up, you're an idiot.

I feel ya man. I can't stand people when I go to parties who shove beer and bongs in my face and try to get me hooked on that stuff. I choose not to do that stuff for a reason. Sorry if I look like the biggest dork at the party, but I don't give a fuck.

I hate college. I'm moving off campus next semester. Thank God I only have 2 years left.

the soda machines are fucking retarded! My coins get stuck in the machines and the dollar bills won't go trough any of the machines!!! How badly do I need Sprite????????

LOL!! I do not put any coins or any dollars in those godamn machines. I only use my campus ID card to purchase stuff from those crappy vending machines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Majadamus on 2004-03-23 11:15 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Mar 23, 2004, 04:11 PM
I'll take it you're all from America? If you are, I think that translates as Uni here in the UK, which has yet to come. You make it all sound like such a nightmare! I hope it actually isn't like that...

Majadamus
Mar 23, 2004, 04:36 PM
On 2004-03-23 13:11, Antimony wrote:
I'll take it you're all from America? If you are, I think that translates as Uni here in the UK, which has yet to come. You make it all sound like such a nightmare! I hope it actually isn't like that...

If you like to party a lot, you're going to love college. But, if you're like me, you're going to hate it with a passion.

Outrider
Mar 23, 2004, 06:31 PM
On 2004-03-23 13:36, Majadamus wrote:

On 2004-03-23 13:11, Antimony wrote:

If you like to party a lot, you're going to love college. But, if you're like me, you're going to hate it with a passion.

Well, no, that's not necessarily true. I've been having a great time at school for the most part. It's just been annoying recently. Maybe I just need to go hook up with somebody. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

I got lucky and managed to find a lot of people who are really cool and I can hang out with. Some of them like to waste themselves, but not often. It shouldn't be too hard so long as you can find a group of people you can associate with. Join clubs, go out to meet people... whatever it takes. And even if you don't? Then just concentrate on your studies and hobbies. When I don't feel like being social, I just boot up my art program and start drawing or turn on the PS2 and play some games.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 23, 2004, 09:51 PM
University in the Uk is a good laugh. It definately isnt all wild nights all the time, sometimes theres nothing going on at all, but when you have some good friends there you can have a very good time, even if you dont drink.

Back to the first post. 1: Yes, i hate it when someone leaves our toilet window open, its a real shock in the morning to get a cold seat. 2:Weve got a girl on my flat who cant stick with her friggen boyfriend even when he comes up every weekend. Shes always flirting with guys and getting up to stuff. I dont like what shes doing at all, but when i stupidly cursed her out one drunken night i kinda got throatlled by her Boyfrined who i didnt realise was up that night, not the highlight of my Uni experiance. 4: Mwah, i have to admit sometimes i joke around with my T-Total friend about having a drink once in awhile, but never try to force him. Its just rib tickling at most.

Now my only complaint about UNI/College life is the cuts and bruises when you do have a good night. I woke up the other week with so many bruises caus ei flung myself down a flight of stairs in a drunken stupour, and on saturday i jumped into a bush and cut my hand to buggery on all the branches. Tequila my friends is the drink of the devil, and if your like me and cant handle to much of it, dont drink it and make a fool of yourself and injure yourself.

derBauer
Mar 24, 2004, 12:36 AM
I think fraternities are generally not worth it but you can't write off all members as losers. I think some people really do join just to meet friends. They might come to college by themselves and want a quick way to meet people and keep the same friends.
Also, I've had quite a bit of fun at their parties. Go out and try to have fun with them!
Also, I agree that trying to get someone to drink that doesn't is ignorant.

Outrider
Mar 24, 2004, 01:12 AM
On 2004-03-23 21:36, derBauer wrote:
I think fraternities are generally not worth it but you can't write off all members as losers. I think some people really do join just to meet friends. They might come to college by themselves and want a quick way to meet people and keep the same friends.
Also, I've had quite a bit of fun at their parties. Go out and try to have fun with them!

Well, that's why I said the frat thing was specifically at my school. I've been told since day one that pretty much all the parties have sucked, so I haven't even bothered. And I understand that it's an easy way to meet friends, but it's also not that hard to just go talk to the people on your floor or in your classes... and hey, you don't even have to humiliate yourself or others! (That's optional.)

Armok
Mar 24, 2004, 05:46 AM
fraternities = buying friends

Bought friends always act nicer than those you didnt pay for

Stealing is wrong.

BogusKun
Mar 24, 2004, 12:40 PM
I would use my Campus ID card, but I also hate the fact that it's not on EVERY machine... only in building machines. I could show you how dumb UT is sometimes. Becuase I choose to study outdoors and I'm too lazy to walk to the indoor machines.

And the clinging quarters from catching the off campus buses! NO!

Majadamus
Mar 25, 2004, 03:42 PM
On 2004-03-24 09:40, BogusKun wrote:
I would use my Campus ID card, but I also hate the fact that it's not on EVERY machine... only in building machines. I could show you how dumb UT is sometimes. Becuase I choose to study outdoors and I'm too lazy to walk to the indoor machines.

And the clinging quarters from catching the off campus buses! NO!

Oh, I forgot to mention the steep prices they charge you for the snacks and sodas. It's $1.25 for a soda. This is a real annoyance because a lot of times I'm not carrying change in my pocket. And some of the snacks in the vending machines are 2 dollars, I'm not kidding either.

You study outdoors? I could never do that. Too many distractions. A lot of my friends would bother me while studying.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2004, 04:39 PM
On 2004-03-25 12:42, Majadamus wrote:
You study outdoors? I could never do that. Too many distractions. A lot of my friends would bother me while studying.

There's a brief period of time where it's nice outside and there aren't tons of bugs at my school. At that point, you'll use any excuse to be outside.

And actually, studying outside can be very relaxing and a nice change of pace from reading while being cooped up in the dorm.

opaopajr
Mar 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
oh i looove to party, it's just that college parties generally blow. you're surrounded by a group who thinks the party you're at is heralding the Second Coming, with another group that's totally blitzed that they are essentially limp bodies flopped all over or bumping into you, the randy ones with hands all over the place, and then there's the moody cusses who wanna start something. with all that in your face it's really hard to have fun.

it's not that i dislike parties, it's just i find most university parties, especially those enbalmed in alcohol, are generally a tiresome affair that i already did in high school. been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, now it has stains, i'm sick of wearing it... type of thing.

if you can find a real hip crowd, y'know one's who know a little bit of everything about the artsy-fartsy world, you can really see some fun stuff. otherwise it's the same old tired affair. university is filled with people who are desperate to inject something fun between now and "their career." it's this group's only 5-10 years to "go crazy" before going back to their boring lives. too bad no one told them that if you are boring 18 years before, it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than a kegger to undo all that.

Majadamus
Mar 28, 2004, 07:27 PM
Join clubs, go out to meet people... whatever it takes.

Tried that. There was Japanese Pop Culture Club that was trying to get registered on campus and I was supporting it and everything. It was a club that was basically about a lot of stuff I'm interested in , but for some reason it hasn't become official yet. Blah. The chances of this club becoming official is looking grim.

BogusKun
Mar 31, 2004, 03:04 PM
On 2004-03-25 12:42, Majadamus wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention the steep prices they charge you for the snacks and sodas. It's $1.25 for a soda. This is a real annoyance because a lot of times I'm not carrying change in my pocket. And some of the snacks in the vending machines are 2 dollars, I'm not kidding either.

Yes! I hate that! I rather walk to McDonald's and buy me a Happy Meal... (Ummm my girlfriend likes them heh, we eat them together... don't ask who keeps the toys http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )