PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: The Origins of Solstis, Last Chapter: The Death and

Solstis
Mar 25, 2004, 07:45 PM
Didn't want to post the story here... this is where my updates/info goes.

I would put this into "The Solstis Saga" fic topic, but that kinda died, and this is the background story.

I also didn't want to interrupt the flow of the fic (again).

This fic will slowly be added on to, as per my levels of HW/energy.

http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Toldos/meteor01_03.gif

eh? Rafoie? Coffee? Meteor? Fun with PShop!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-19 19:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-20 15:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-26 18:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-27 16:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-05-05 14:04 ]</font>

Solstis
Mar 25, 2004, 07:49 PM
The Origins of Solstis

Chapter 1: Daring Escape

Dr. Liap cursed inwardly. His first experiment had not achieved his desired results, and his second was well behind schedule. At this rate, Pioneer 2's military would find the location of his lab before he could finish.

The scientist sat at a desk in a barely-lit room. He was wearing the traditional white scientist's frock, and wore the odd sunglasses that he and many of his colleagues admired. He had a haggard look, as if he had not bathed in days, and his hair was in an alarming state in disarray.

Dr. Liap's desk was crowded with important papers of all sorts; it was amazing that he could find anything at all. In fact, that seemed to be one of the sources of his troubles.

The scientist had lost the papers for the artificial life form that would support his first experiment somewhere in the mess. He had been searching laboriously for hours, and had finally given up.

He stood up in a rage, his chair spinning with the speed of his movements. When he looked down at the spinning object, he saw the slightly crumpled designs. Before he could celebrate, an excited individual burst into the room.

"They're here!"

---

Dr. Liap ran into the corridor, heading towards the double-door room marked 'Experiment Housing'. When he frantically pushed open the doors, the first person he saw was a young child with blue hair. The boy stared at him for a moment, his eyes lacking all affection, before turning away. Liap pointed at his main assistant, Silphie Riven, a short Fonewearl, and ordered her to take the boy out the back exit.

"Keep him safe..." The scientist hurried them towards the door. "...and I'll send Support Type 01 whenever I can!"

She nodded her head and held the boy's hand, leading him away.

The scientist could hear the commandos making their way through the labratory. Scientists hurried towards the exits... they knew that the lab's hired guards and defensive creations could not hold off the incursion for long.

Dr. Liap started running for the exit but stopped after a feet, thinking.

"Fine then, you leave me no choice."

The man slipped off his uniform, revealing a dark-green, lighter version of the RAmar's armor. Out of his inventory he pulled out a strange, angel winged mag and two guns; one inscribed Guld, the other Milla.

He smiled... it had been a long time since he had killed anyone. His experiments for the perfect soldier may have failed, but he would at least cause trouble for Pioneer 2's puppet government.

The commandos had by now reached the final corridor that Dr. Liap was guarding. He leveled his guns at his opponents, taking out four of them in a flurry of bullets. Dr. Liap then began to backpedal, walking towards the exit while laying down a constant stream of fire.

Solstis...

Sagasu
Mar 26, 2004, 12:43 AM
Interesting...

Heh. I admire Dr. Liap's honor, and his nobility to protect his creations with the very same passion they had been made from.

And interesting intro, can't wait for more! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

mr_rubbish
Mar 26, 2004, 12:25 PM
Shows some promise, but are you going to get to finish this one? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Solstis
Mar 26, 2004, 04:13 PM
Finish... what's that?

It took me about two minutes to even find where the fic was on the page (hoping it hadn't fallen to page 2 yet).

Chapter 2 is pretty much done, but I have to work on it...

It's a little boring as of now.

Sagasu
Mar 26, 2004, 04:25 PM
Boring for some, interesting to others. As long as yout think its good, its fine http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Mar 26, 2004, 04:41 PM
Chapter 2: Introducing the Newman

Four years later...

The boy, now twelve, ran into a small apartment, waving his hands with glee. His adopted mother, Silphie, or "Mah!" as the boy called her, smiled weakly.

Solstis had just been accepted into the Hunter's Guild program, and would soon be leaving to attend the preliminary classes. The blue haired boy was overjoyed, but his 'mother' had a hard time veiling her worries.

It had been a long four years teaching the child... and not how to read or write, as he was vastly intelligent. Solstis, having been confined to a lab for his eight years, had lacked emotions of any sort. Silphie spent long hours struggling with his mind, attempting to instill a sense of compassion and into the boy's psyche.

He resisted.

It was not until one day (as close to day as space can be) that a fateful accident erased the boy?s memory.

A new technology was being developed that was meant to revolutionize communications whenever Pioneer 2 arrived at Ragol. Pioneer 1 had promised to install BEE communication towers on Ragol, and as Pioneer 2 inched closer, BEE towers had to be constructed on the ship. However, when walking past a construction site at age 9, a brick fell out of the sky and hit Solstis squarely in the head.

The boy was rushed to the hospital, where they did their best to tend his wounds. At first, Silphie was distraught when she filed the paperwork, wondering if she would be caught, but her fears were put to rest after she realized that Solstis was already registered in Pioneer 2's databanks. Dr. Liap did have an emergency plan after all, she thought to herself.

After Solstis was released, he seemed to be a different child entirely. Silphie was overjoyed... she could finally have the son that she always desired.

---

His first week at Hunter's School was a breeze. He had met many fellow youngsters, made a few friends, and aced the physical and mental examinations. The headmasters had decided that he would be a HUmar, as to not waste his combat potential. However, they placed him in the Force's dorm so that he would be in close contact with those that could help him with more advanced techniques. This arrangement suited the twelve year old well, and he quickly adapted to the dorm life.

His first friend was a small, easily excited newman by the name of Toldos. They were around the same relative age, although Toldos' attempts to explain his growth patterns was much too complicated for the soon-to-be HUmar.

The two got along well, and when it came time for each Hunter to pick a support Force, Solstis made an easy decision.

-----------------------------------------------------

Comments: Yes, almost every fic I write or take a part in will feature a BEE tower. It is set in stone!

And yes, that is Toldos from the RoTM Group-Fic, and the one mentioned in the heavily delayed Solstis Saga (forgot the title, lol) fic.

And the brick... well, it's a futuristic brick.

Solstis
Mar 29, 2004, 05:20 PM
Chapter 3: Battle Between Machine and Master

Silphie Riven had done her job.

Solstis had met Support Type 01 as planned, and the military was unaware of their location on the ship.

But still, she wondered why the fear remained in her heart.

A note had been slipped under her door about a week after Solstis had gone to the school. It demanded that she meet behind the "Drunken Rappy" a few beats after the residential area?s curfew.

She sighed after reading the small, concise note for the fifth time. Not only had someone took a lot of effort to sneak up to the home, the doors were sealed using Photon energy.

Sensing the possibility of a trap, Silphie girded herself for battle. Instead of a more force-like outfit, she slipped on a light-blue suit of Ramarl armor and the customary hat. In her pocket she slipped a handgun, and in both of her sleeves, a few Talis cards. Anything else would burden her down and arise suspicion.

Before she released the seal of her home?s door, she left a small note for whomever would search the house first, creating an elaborate lie of a long-running depression.

She quickly wiped away a few tears as she walked down the street.

---

She met none of Pioneer 2's military as she slipped through the streets, though she did have a few brief scares. And not from the shadows.

The Drunken Rappy was a notorious bar, famous for Black Paper dealings, gang fights, and revolutionaries. The back of the bar was also known for secret meetings, deals, and assassinations... all things that worried the former lab assistant?s mind.

When she arrived at the alley, she was shocked at who, or what she saw, and all of them familiar.

In the shadows lurked a tall, imposing Hucast, holding the limp body of some poor wretch.

"Dr. Mendelov served his purpose well, and now you will too." came its harsh, grating voice. "Where are Dr. Liap and the rest of your lab friends"

Silphie stood frozen for a moment before swallowing her fears. "Alpha 300, one of the first photon-blade enhanced Hucasts. Whom are you working for now?" was her curt reply.

"That information is insubstantial to your case." Two blades slid out of his outstretched forearms. "Now... talk!"

Before the Hucast could move, a trail of sparkly lights blinded it as a card landed squarely on its head.

"I'm a little out of practice... but I designed you...." Silphie laughed as clouds of foie began to spin around her.

-----

Wrote this during a lull in the fic contest (we don't have to work as hard as Team B http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ).

I barely resisted making Alpha 300 say "Where are your rebel friends!?"

Solstis
Mar 30, 2004, 05:12 PM
Alright now! This fic, and that other fic I was working on, are now officially on hold.

*puts a stamp on the fic*

Since the action is beginning to heat up in the Group-Fiction contest, I will be unable to continue writing much of anything for this story (that and I ran out of ideas).

And...

Go Team B! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Skett
Mar 30, 2004, 05:35 PM
Oh, pretty good. Now you got me interested in your other story. I will have to check that one out. Good work, foo!

EDIT: Um, Go Team B! Wait. I am supporting Team A. Oh well, Go Team A/B!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-03-30 14:37 ]</font>

Sagasu
Mar 30, 2004, 05:38 PM
On 2004-03-30 14:12, Solstis wrote:
Alright now! This fic, and that other fic I was working on, are now officially on hold.

*puts a stamp on the fic*

Since the action is beginning to heat up in the Group-Fiction contest, I will be unable to continue writing much of anything for this story (that and I ran out of ideas).

And...

Go Team B! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On hold??NOOO!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Well there goes one of my regulars ~~;

Go team-A !!

Solstis
Mar 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Well... I'll try to finish it, but I won't be pumping out the chapters.

Notes:

In an odd fashion, this is actually the second Solstis fic, the first one being in the future.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=77708&forum=12&start=0

To the other Solstis fic I never finished.

Bah!

Sagasu
Mar 30, 2004, 05:52 PM
Seems to me that your making a habit about not finishing your ficcies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Hmm..

If you need any tips or run into a wall about what to do, just drop me a pm. I write half of the day after all http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Solstis
Mar 31, 2004, 09:33 PM
Chapter 4: A Fading Dance of Light

The fireballs danced around the force, lighting up the features of the android. It was a sleek, jet black creation.

It stared at the little one with piercing eyes, determining its next move. It calculated that it would have to act before the foie could damage or melt his systems. And so, he lunged.

As soon as the android surged forward, the Fonewearl collected the mass of energy into her outstretched palms. A quivering bright ball appeared in her hands, shining as if it was a small star. She held it there for a brief moment, as if admiring her work, before letting it loose.

"Na...Foie!"

Sparks of flame danced through the air as the ball hurtled at its target.

Unidentified incoming projectile of fire origin...
Suggesting Guard stance A.

The black Hucast quickly threw up its arms to fend off the attack, attempting to shield itself from the inferno.

The ball of fire energy suddenly erupted after striking the Hucast, creating a column of twisting flame that reached towards the upper reaches of the dome. Those who were still awake looked up in awe at the maelstrom that reminded many of Coral's sun.

Silphie dropped to the ground as the fire column died down. A few embers flittered heere and there, some real, and others spots that scrambled her vision. That technique had been developed in the lab after years of research, and still being in the developmental stages, easily wore out the caster.

There's no way they didn't see that.

Her suspicions were realized when she heard the sound of several heavy footsteps behind her.

She sighed and gave a sorrowful smile.

"Before you ask..." she whispered laboriously. "I... I don't know."

"After that fire show, the civilians and hunters will be grasping for answers." uttered a snideful man behind her.

"Of course, for the safety of the people, the revolutionaries were executed."

Silphie faintly heard the sound of a handgun adjusting to a new photon clip.

...I did my job... didn't I?

This won't be so bad then...

at least they're safe...

...for now....

---

In a large pile of ashes, a metallic hand stirred. Its paint was been stripped, and the fingers fused together. But it was alive.

System restore...

All systems... 10%
motor functions.... 12%
memory core... 30%
Advanced A.I. ... 2%

Estimated repair time.... 3 days....

And so, it waited.

----------

And that's what happens when I listen to Bach.

*sniffle*

Skett
Mar 31, 2004, 09:46 PM
Oh, interesting. kinda short but thats what I get for reading Sarunakai story. Nice.

Solstis
Mar 31, 2004, 10:05 PM
Lol, I could combine chapter 1+2 and chapters 3+4 if it makes you+rubbish feel better http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

I miss Silphie already... why do I have to kill off my favorite characters??? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Death List:

1. Toldos
2. Sliphie
3. Who's Next?
*sigh*

Solstis
Apr 10, 2004, 02:42 PM
Chapter 5: Death Visits

Solstis walked to his next class, oblivious of the deaths that surrounded him. It would be weeks until students were allowed to contact they parents or guardians, and Pioneer 2 was slow in posting cases most likely involving murder.

Not like anyone would ever find out, that is. The military would soon label her death as the result of gang violence, and the government would soon be handing out fliers touting the need for a larger police force.

Solstis had recently passed his saber training class, and was recommended as a candidate for the Dual Weapon class due to his wondrous abilities. As one of the highest ranking (third out of forty) students in his HUmar class, he was allowed to carry a weapon. With little consideration, Solstis chose a saber which he wore on his belt, and pocketed another.

Carrying two weapons was against the rules, but Solstis doubted that anyone would find out.
The young Hunter was strutting past the Headmaster's office when he heard a commotion inside. On normal days, Solstis would have just ignored the disturbance, but today felt like a special day to him.

And so, the youngster peeked inside.

The Headmaster was a tall, strong, and bulky man long revered for his prowess with his Last Survivor. It was said that he once killed ten men with nothing but a lanconium fork during a street brawl a few years back.

People feared and respected this man.

So, when Solstis saw the Headmaster shaking before a black Hucast, he knew that something had to be wrong.

"Who are you, and what do you want?" asked the Headmaster.

"Formally, I am known as Alpha 300. But, you can, no... you will call me death." The HUcast paused for a moment for drama's sake. "I am looking for a boy with blue hair and brown skin... where is he?"

"Look..." The Headmaster reached under his desk, still shaking. "I need a name! Don't you know it?"

The Hucast responded by releasing two photon blades from his forearms. It then turned to see Solstis staring, the boy?s mouth agape.

"YOU!"

The Hucast jumped over the Headmaster?s desk with startling speed.

"Kid, run!" Yelled the Headmaster, now brandishing a yellow saber.

The Headmaster swung the blade with tremendous force at the HUcasts' head, only to be rewarded with the sound of photon on photon.

"You no longer amuse me."

'Death' grabbed the Headmaster's sword-hand with his free hand and squeezed with his robotic might. It looked like it was smiling, and it probably would have if it could.

As Solstis ran away, he could hear a piercing yell of pain.

-----

Next Chapter: Will Death find Solstis? What does he want? And where is Toldos?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-10 12:42 ]</font>

Sagasu
Apr 10, 2004, 11:58 PM
Im next, duh! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Good chapter, interesting choice of title tough http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

don't worry about size <_<;

Solstis
Apr 17, 2004, 11:16 PM
Chapter 6: Enter Rigis

The black HUcast stalked out of the office, brandishing the yellow saber as if it was a trophy.

There was still quite a large amount of blood splattered all over the machine's chassis, but it didn't care. In fact, it felt an odd feeling of satisfaction... some sort of aberration in its programming.

A small Coralian bird flitted past, unaware of the recent bloodshed. In each of the Hunter Guild?s schools a small oasis of greenery was created, adding something to the otherwise metallic nightmare. 'Death' gave the bird a small glance before raising his arm up at the creature. After a few grinding noises, a small compartment lifted out of its arm. Out of it popped a small beam-type weapon.

*ZAP*

"I never was a fan of birds."

---

Solstis walked into the large barracks that the forces were housed in.

Toldos saw him walking in and hopped down from his top bunk, brandishing a cane in each hand.

"I suggest that you engage those sabers Solstis, this may be dangerous."

As soon as Toldos finished speaking, the wall furthest away from the two exploded in a spectacular manner.

In stepped the black HUcast, his head bowed towards the pile of rubble that he created. Slowly, he lifted his head, all the while letting loose an ear-chilling laugh.

"Little, little children... are you prepared to die?"

Solstis quivered in fear... after months of training in VR settings and against simple machines, a real opponent frightened the young boy. Toldos seemed unaffected by the menacing droid and leveled the two canes at Death.

"Rafoie!"

The HUcast was merely pushed back a few feet due to the blossoming cloud of fire. It laughed again... it had survived the incredibly powerful NAfoie technique, and a pitiful RA level technique would have little effect.

Before the last lingering wisps of fire died out, the young newman let loose another miniature mushroom cloud, and another, and another. Each time he yelled out the name of the technique, and each time he strained harder in an attempt to vaporize his enemy.

When the embers finally died out, the black HUcast again give its haunting laugh. It raised the yellow blade first at Solstis, then at Toldos.

"You know, you could make this easier for all of us."

This time, it was Toldos' turn to laugh.

---

A lone, cloaked HUmar shoved his way through the gathering crowd. The students had run to the source of all the disruption, and the faculty, unsuccessfully, was trying to drive the students away.

The HUmar's last BEE message entailed:

Operative Rigis... at the risk of revealing our location and motives, you must protect Support Type_01 and Advanced Hunter Porotype_01...

immediately.

Out... "The Lab"

----

Chapter 7 is... still in the formulative stages (a.k.a, not even considered fully as of yet).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-17 21:17 ]</font>

Robo47
Apr 17, 2004, 11:30 PM
Oooo, me likey!

Solstis
Apr 19, 2004, 09:29 PM
Chapter 7: Oh Crap!

Death walked closer to the exhausted newman and the frightened boy... moving slowly as if taunting the two apprentices. It had been a long time before it had killed anyone, and it wanted to relish the moment.

Just two feet away from Solstis, the machine suddenly halted. It stood still for a moment, as if frozen, before turning around with a quick snap of its head.

"Rigis!"

It then ran outside of the barracks via the hole to encounter its foe. It stopped a good number of feet outside of the building, holding the saber above its head in a defensive stance.

"Alpha 300... reprogrammed by Black Paper and sold to the military... no wonder your AI is unstable."

The HUmar held up a charred feather as evidence. He then sighed as the enraged construct charged, waving the saber menacingly. In one hand, Rigis held a pallash, in the other, he held a mechgun.

The HUcast made the first attack with a powerful vertical slash that was meant to rend his opponent in two. Rigis countered by parrying the blade away from his body and delivering a full photon clip into the monster's unguarded face.

Death fell with a resounding *Clank* onto the grass... the several large dents in its head had rendered it inoperable. Its eyes flickered for a moment before becoming dull, a sure sign that Death, was in fact, "dead."

Rigis sat down in the grass next to his fallen adversary, his chest beating frantically. To move that quickly, Rigis had to strain his body beyond what it normally could do.

---

"Who are you, and what is going on here?"

The hunter muttered something and looked up at whomever was addressing him. It was female newm, most likely a member of the faculty, and she had a nasty look on her face. Not to mention that she was carrying a Vajaya, and by the looks of her, she knew how to use it.

She glared at Rigis for a moment, and receiving no answer from the tired hunter, sauntered into the barracks. Inside, she saw the two boys, still frightened, sitting down on the ground.

"Solstis and Toldos! You're in trouble now!"

Her yelling only seemed to deepen their fears, and by now Solstis looked like he was going to cry.

The teacher threw up her hands in disgust. Strangers were wandering on campus and causing trouble, the students were frightened, and the Headmaster was missing!

When the femme walked out of the barracks via the rubble, she became even more shocked. The HUmar that had been sitting down was now standing, and was speaking to several well-dressed gentlemen. On their arms they proudly wore blue bands, and many were cradling weapons, some that she had never even seen before!

"By Palma! Can this day get any worse?"

---

Rigis stared at the men edgily while they stared back behind dark sunglasses. There were five men present, and he estimated that another two or three were somewhere else on campus.

"Ah... crap."

Rigis decided to negotiate for time. The hunter fervently hoped that the teacher would have enough sense to lead the children away.

"So... you're Team B?"

One of the suits replied with a smirk on his face.

"Team A botched the last mission, as expected. We won't make the same mistakes."

All of the suits smiled almost in unison.

"...!!!!!!!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-04-19 19:29 ]</font>

Robo47
Apr 19, 2004, 09:37 PM
Me likey more! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Apr 26, 2004, 08:37 PM
Chapter 8: Bloodbath

Rigis faked a smile and lifted his hands into the air.

"Well, good sirs, I can recognize when I've been beaten."

One of the suits stepped forward to restrain the rebel. With a grin on his face, the man put his hands into his suit pocket to take out his restraints.

"Team B always gets its way."

When the Team B member had nearly reached the HUmar, a loud beeping noise emanated from the ground.

"Oh shit!"

Rigis dove for the ground as the trap ripped through the man... good thing that Rigis had set the trap right after that busybody interrupted him.

The blast left a small crater in the now burnt grass, revealing a cold metal floor. No matter how much they tried to forget, the colonists were constantly reminded that they were in space. Soil was an expensive commodity, and Rigis wondered how much meseta had already been wasted during his battle.

Rigis gripped his weapons tightly as he jumped back up with a spring, his weapons trained on his reeling enemies.

For a moment, the hunter grimaced... he was a little closer to that explosion than he had counted on, but he would have make do with a slightly crispy left foot. Anyways, the hunter considered, at least he wasn't reduced to ash as was the unfortunate suit.

His first mechgun round tore through one still stunned suit while he simultaneously threw his pallash at his next nearest opponent.

Both of the soldiers screamed in unison as their remaining two comrades began to fire Bravaces at the speedy enemy. One shot hit the hunter squarely in his chest, but he merely shrugged off the damage and unloaded another round into one suit, and flung a small round object at the other.

The one hit by the photon bullets died instantly while the other glanced up at Rigis in fear. The round object had begun to beep, and the man had deep suspicions that he was about to die.

"Serves you right, you military bastards..."

The hunter turned his head as chunks dropped from the sky. In a way, he wished the lab had created more efficient weapons for their operatives.

Just after Rigis yanked his pallash out of the stubborn body of one of the slain, he heard a scream and the sounds of fighting a bit in the distance.

"I thought I killed that stupid thing."

---

Rigis walked to the main common area of the school, occasionally stopping grimace at the body of a slain faculty member or student. One body, however, was unique.

One of the mashed corpses had a blue band on it's barely identifiable arms.

"I knew that thing was bad news right after we finished designing it...."

Rigis looked down at his armband to see another message from the lab.

Operative Rigis... it has been decided for the safety of our labratory, Alpha 300 must be destroyed completely.

We also regret to inform you that our base of operations is again moving to...

Rigis angrily closed the message before it could finish scrolling.

"Stupid lab experiments!"

Rigis kicked a nearby corpse.

---

This was actually in the works for a bit, and I just now finished it.

Next chapter... Short Intermission focusing on Rigis

Solstis
Apr 27, 2004, 06:27 PM
Intermission: Falling Stars

It had been a long time since anyone had spoken to him. It may have been only minutes, or perhaps days, but it didn't matter to him any longer.

A very long time.

All that he knew was long gone. His parents, his friends, his neighbors, all destroyed in an instant.

His mother and father belonged... had belonged to a group of anti-government radicals, crusaders against those that created the Pioneer project.

At first, the group, known as "The Spoken Word," began with small protests and demonstrations. As the movement grew, and the government increasingly more silent, city-wide protests led to small acts of rebellion.

First, they had cut off transportation and communications in certain sectors of Coral?s capital city. This was done rather easily by hacking into the communications grid, and caused a media uproar, as planned.

Next, they planned to bomb the military's main headquarters, the place that many claimed held the key to the Pioneer systems. Unfortunately, the military heard of the plans due to a leak, and quickly retaliated. The military did not want to deal with fanatics, dangerous ones at that, and rarely left any survivors.

The media dubbed the event "Heaven's Punishment."

On one breezy summer night, beautiful multicolored shafts of light shone down from above, completely decimating The Spoken Word's base of operations. Some said that the surface temperature had reached nearly the same reaches as magma, but no one could prove it.

Military leaders had carefully and secretly positioned several Palma class satellites over the area during the past few months, waiting for an excuse to strike. It was later revealed that the "information" was falsified, but that was long after Pioneer 2 had reached Ragol.

---

It was more of a small town really, with around a thousand people living within its boundaries at the time of the desolation. For some, The Spoken Word was a last chance at life, others, a cohesive family. Whatever reason the people had for being there aside, the main point is that they were all dead.

And so, a young boy waited there, sitting in the dust. He waited for someone to come, someone to talk to besides the echoes. He contemplated why he was left alive, his friends turned to dust and ash, and the rest buried under insurmountably heavy piles of rubble. The boy knew, in fact, exactly how heavy they were after attempting throw a block at a wall out of anger.

The boy's name, was Rigis. Rigis Sherman.

---

It was a day later, perhaps, that a young man came walking down the dusty lane. Rigis was sitting in exactly the same spot, the dirt around him untouched.

When the man saw the young boy, he titled his head in an odd fashion, and began walking faster.

At first he waved at Rigis, looking for some response or sign of life. The boy barely budged, and what movements he did make could have been confused for a nervous tic.

The bumbling man was wearing a white frock and sunglasses, and had a strange sort of haircut that screamed "scientist." He had a sort of formal air around him, as if he was better than everyone else and knew it.

When the man reached Rigis he extended his arm for a handshake. Seeing the motion not returned, he pulled it back as if wounded.

Finally, the scientist spoke. "Ahem... hello, my name is Dr. Liap, and I may have something of interest for you."

The scientist swept his arm in an arc at the devastation. He then paused dramatically and continued.

"As you can see, Coral's overeager military has destroyed everything you once held dear. I am here to offer you a job, young sir, in my underground rebellion against the said organization.

We will stop the Pioneer project at all costs!"

Rigis looked up at the man with the slightest glance.

"Does it have a name?"

"Mostly, we just call it 'The Lab,' but formally... it's known as CFF, or the Coralian Freedom Front...."

Skett
Apr 27, 2004, 08:13 PM
Interesting. Cant wait for the next chapter.

PhotonDrop
Apr 27, 2004, 08:20 PM
Ooh, thats so nifty!

Solstis
Apr 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys for the compliments, but any criticisms are also welcome (I want to increase my skillz! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Ah... the next chapter is a little hazy, expect it in a few days to a week.

PhotonDrop
Apr 27, 2004, 08:29 PM
On 2004-04-27 18:27, Solstis wrote:
Thanks guys for the compliments, but any criticisms are also welcome (I want to increase my skillz! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

In truth I'm not one to criticise, if you looked at my fic you'd realise why...

but then again, the current one contains a secret http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Skett
Apr 27, 2004, 08:41 PM
On 2004-04-27 18:27, Solstis wrote:

I understand the need to improve your writing "skillz" but I really can't see any serious faults with the story.

Solstis
May 5, 2004, 04:03 PM
Chapter 9: Death and Birth of a Hero

A few moments prior

Anna, the HUnewearl teacher, led the students by their hands deeper into the Hunters' complex. The area was nearly devoid of people, it being a holiday, and she did not expect to encounter any assistance.

Behind her, she could sense the danger swiftly getting nearer. Concerned, she looked back to see Solstis tugging in the opposite direction.

The young hunter did not speak, but gripped the handle of one of his sabers tightly. Toldos seemed to agree with the wordless statement, and brushed some dirt off of his sleeves in anticipation..

Anna sighed. The heavy footsteps of Death were drawing closer, and she doubted that even at full speed, she could outrun the monstrosity.

So, she nodded at the boys and pulled a Diska of Liberator out of her inventory, hoping to at least damage the mighty HUcast. Anna had a determined look on her face as she dropped her Vjaya and leapt, propelling herself skyward.

As Anna began to descend, she hurled the slicer with all of her might at the quickly approaching enemy. Before landing, she then quickly unsheathed her Silence Claw from its position on her belt. She gathered her breath as the slicer flew, and took a few precious seconds to wipe a single bead of sweat off of her brow.

A few seconds after the slicer left Anna's hand, Death batted the weapon away with a mere flick of his wrist. It continued to run as it engaged its forearm blades, readying for what it calculated to be a short battle.

With a resounding clash, Anna's claw met Death's fierce attack, the two combatants struggling to push the other away so that a fatal blow could be landed. Hoping to unbalance her opponent, Anna quickly disengaged and lunged forward, plunging her claws into Death?s right thigh.

She heard a disheartening chuckle emanate from the android as it arced its blades at her head. During the short moment before her death, she smiled.

Silphie...

you owe me one

Solstis and Toldos watched as her head plunked onto the ground, her body following a few seconds later.

---

As Rigis walked up to the scene, Death was wiping the blood off of his armor with what looked like distaste. The metal giant looked up at Rigis and shrugged its shoulders, hoping to enrage the hunter.

It worked.

Rigis dropped his mechgun and took another pallash out of his inventory. He held the handles of both at Death, turning both on with a loud swoosh. For a moment, the world, or ship for that matter, seemed to spin around the two.

Death charged first, waving his long blades in a long and complicated combo maneuver designed to wear down its target. Rigis attempted to block each movement as quickly as he could, but still received a few shallow wounds by the end of it.

Rigis replied with swooping crescents, just fast enough so that his opponent would have no time to counter. From a distance, it would have seemed that the two were dancing, and in fact, the two gained some sort of exhilaration out of the battle.

Rigis finally landed a blow on the HUcast's lower torso with a lazy, sweeping attack. There was now a nasty gash across Death?s body to complement the small hole in his leg. Unfortunately, this maneuver Rigis open, and the HUcast capitalized on this.

Sensing his opponent too near, Death countered by punching Rigis in the face, leaving the man sprawling on the ground.

Dizzily looking up, Rigis saw the barrel of Death?s arm-gun peering down at him. Rigis quickly disengaged his pallashes and rolled to his left just before a large crater appeared where his head had once been.

"Cheating punk." Mumbled Rigis.

"Just doing my job sir."

Death slowly walked toward the hunter, thinking of an inspired way to kill his opponent. Stabbing was much too conventional, and dismembering was much too messy. As the HUcast pondered, it did not notice the Hunter quickly jumping to his feet.

Turning on the pallash as he stabbed, Rigis pushed left pallash through Death?s head, and ducked down spun, slashing the metallic entity cleanly in half.

Rigis dropped to his knees as sparks flew overhead, the monster vanquished.

Sensing the presence of two people behind him, Rigis turned around and winked. Solstis still had a stunned look on his face, but Toldos lifted up a hand in a victory sign, signaling a job well done.

Rigis then looked at Anna with a sigh. The Riven sisters... one a laboratory assistant, the other a professor of the killing arts.

Well, He thought as he stared at the ceiling of Pioneer 2. at least they've got some interesting stories to tell each other now.

---

A much older, stronger, and wiser Solstis walked down the corridors of Pioneer 2's official mausoleum. The Pioneer officials found it inefficient to keep the bodies, but dedicated a golden plaque to each fallen citizen of the ship with their dates.

He first stopped at two plaques labeled "Anna Riven" and "Silphie Riven," respectively. Solstis placed two delicate red flowers in a small bowl next to each, and moved on to the "S" section.

He stared at the small, unassuming plaque marked "Rigis Sherman" for a few moments while cradling the handle of a pallash close to his chest. With a buzz, the photon blade engaged, lighting up a small message inscribed on the side.

Solstis stared into the blade for about a minute before turning it off and depositing it in Rigis' bowl.

As Solstis finished up, a young man nearly the same in appearance and dress walked up behind him.

"Someone you know?"

Solstis slowly turned around and smiled at the youngster.

"No, Makar... just another Hunter doing his job, I guess."

Solstis
May 5, 2004, 06:13 PM
Now... for something completely different!

10 Questions I Can Answer Right Here and Right Now:

1. Rigis Sherman is a character I invented in a non-PSO related story (which stunk)

2. No, Toldos is not dead, and I will be using him later.

3. Makar is Solstis' "brother."

4. Makar, Solstis, Toldos, and Leto were all created by the same lab.

5. The lab, or CFF, is on Pioneer 2 to attempt an overthrow of the ship's government and military

6. Dr. Liap is not dead.

7. How Rigis died is unknown as of know.

8. Yes, Anna is vaguely based on the char from PS2.

9. Yes, I did randomly decide that Anna and Silphie were sisters.

10. Yes (in case anyone remembered the RoTM groupie) Alpha 300 is the precursor to Alpha 360.

Robo47
May 5, 2004, 06:23 PM
Very nice job you've done there!

Solstis
May 5, 2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks Robo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It feels great to actually FINISH something once in awhile (now they can't make fun of me! and they laughed... muwhawhawahwah! now it is my turn!)!

Sagasu
May 6, 2004, 10:01 AM
On 2004-05-05 18:59, Solstis wrote:
Thanks Robo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It feels great to actually FINISH something once in awhile (now they can't make fun of me! and they laughed... muwhawhawahwah! now it is my turn!)!

And we're all glad you decided to see this through to the end.

Great work! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif