PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star for PS2? How about No, Reasons why it will be

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 06:59 PM
Alright, alright. So Gamespot (Online site that loves PS2 just like EA loves it) Says that a Remake of the original Phantasy Star will come out for the Play Station 2. I find this hard to belive.
1. Yuji Naka said Gamecube is easy to devolope for.
2. Naka says he hates developing for PS2.
3. Phantasy Star Online has most of it's fanbase on Gamecube.
4. Most of the Sega Fanbase is on GCN and XBOX.
5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast.
6. Gamespot reported this

I have no reason to believe a Phantasy Star Remake is actually in the works. Mabey a post of all those games in the link will be released with their currnt graphics. But I really find it hard to believe that ST would want to release another game on PS2 after seeing Sonic Hero's numbers on that system.

KingChaos
Mar 27, 2004, 07:42 PM
why would you want to play it?

just get 4 ur pc

Skett
Mar 27, 2004, 08:16 PM
On 2004-03-27 15:59, Episode3 wrote:
Yuji Naka is not creating it. He is busy with other games.
No he didn't
Its not a PSO title. The original PS series and PSO are very different so I don't think that matters.
There is no way to actually know this. No poll about it has ever been created.
5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast.
But business is business. They simply can't avoid the top selling home console.
No matter how much you dislike Gamestop, they are a large online gaming site that delivers gaming needs.

I have no reason to believe a Phantasy Star Remake is actually in the works.
Sega confirmed that a Phantasy Star remake was in the works several years ago and it has also been released in Japan.

_Sinue_
Mar 27, 2004, 08:35 PM
Er.. PS:G1 and (I think) PS:G2 are already out for the PS2. I own the JP import of PS:G1. Conspiracy Games is handeling the US localization of all the Sega Ages Remakes. It should be out soon in the US as their site lists Phantasy Star: Generation 1 as being released in Q1 of 2004. No release dates set for Generation 2 or 4 as far as I know.

I think you're getting Phantasy Star mixed up with Phantasy Star Online. Sonic Team has no control over the Phantasy Star franchise. If anything, OverWorks would probably handle any new offline Phantasy Star games. (I.E. Phantasy Star 5) since that's where Pheonix Rei is at now. She's the creative designer for Phantasy Star. Pretty much the brains behind it all. In fact.. I don't even know why Sonic Team was given permission to do PSO instead of Overworks in the first place.

Anyhow...

"1. Yuji Naka said Gamecube is easy to devolope for."

--Yuji Naka's team isn't handling the remakes. His opinion on the PS2 or NGC doesn't matter.

"2. Naka says he hates developing for PS2."

Again.. Naka and Sonic Team have nothing to do with the remakes. Yuji Naka isn't even with Sonic Team anymore.

"3. Phantasy Star Online has most of it's fanbase on Gamecube."

The PlayStation2 is dominating Japan. Sega decided to release the remakes, because that would reach the largest possible audience that may remember playing the originals and decide to pick up the remakes. The Phantasy Star remakes are just part of a larger collection of remakes called the "Sega Ages 2400" collection. They'll be remaking other games such as Space Harrier, Golden Axe, Super Monico GP, Fantasy Zone, and many others along with the PS series.

"4. Most of the Sega Fanbase is on GCN and XBOX."

Sega isn't marketing these to their current fanbase. They're marketing them to anyone whoever were fans of their games in the past. They're going for the broadest spectrum of gamers.. which happens to be the PS2.

"5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast."

No, Sega killed the Dreamcast. Get over it.

"6. Gamespot reported this."

And they're right.

Cheep
Mar 27, 2004, 08:44 PM
Which game, Phantasy Star. Is that like the one I have for my gameboy in phantasy star collection?! I'm soo confused!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 08:51 PM
By remake I am thinking new in 3D...And I have heard alot of people say Naka dosn't like to develop for PS2

SpikeOtacon
Mar 27, 2004, 08:59 PM
Naka has shown some dislike for the PS2, but as mentioned, he isn't working on this.

Outrider
Mar 27, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, so far the only true statement is Naka (like many developers) dislike developing for the PS2 compared to other consoles. But if they like being able to put food on the table, they gotta make sure their games will be profitable, which usually means conforming to the standards of the industry.

Skett
Mar 27, 2004, 09:46 PM
I dont think Yuji hates working on PS2. If it was true then why is he working on AstroBoy for PS2?

Arislan
Mar 27, 2004, 10:00 PM
Skett, the first documented time he has stated this was E3, the year Jet Set Radio and PSO V2 were shown (the same year the Sega booth was closed to all but invitees). He stated vehemently at that point as to how he will NEVER make a PSO game on the PS2, that he just hates the system architecture. He didn't state anything about another game series, just PSO.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 27, 2004, 10:11 PM
Arislan wrote:
Skett, the first documented time he has stated this was E3, the year Jet Set Radio and PSO V2 were shown (the same year the Sega booth was closed to all but invitees). He stated vehemently at that point as to how he will NEVER make a PSO game on the PS2, that he just hates the system architecture. He didn't state anything about another game series, just PSO.

Question Answered.
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KamakaziSpike/kthxbye.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2004-03-27 19:29 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
Mar 27, 2004, 10:15 PM
On 2004-03-27 17:51, Episode3 wrote:
By remake I am thinking new in 3D...And I have heard alot of people say Naka dosn't like to develop for PS2

The Phantasy Star remake that theyve been talking about is still just a 2D game but with much prettier sprites, same as all the SEGA Remakes in the SEGA Ages series (latest game to be released from that brand is Fist of the Northstar for anyone interested).

And i think most of the big companies have passed comment at least once to how hard it is to develop for the PS2, but seeing as it is the biggest selling console at the minute companies will still make games for it.

Cheep
Mar 27, 2004, 10:25 PM
On 2004-03-27 19:15, Deathscythealpha wrote:

The Phantasy Star remake that theyve been talking about is still just a 2D game but with much prettier sprites, same as all the SEGA Remakes in the SEGA Ages series (latest game to be released from that brand is Fist of the Northstar for anyone interested).

And i think most of the big companies have passed comment at least once to how hard it is to develop for the PS2, but seeing as it is the biggest selling console at the minute companies will still make games for it.

I thought gameboy had the best sales. Or does it count as a console? I'm still confused. Why would they make a 2d game for the ps2?! Will your sword still be one giant pixel?

SpikeOtacon
Mar 27, 2004, 10:28 PM
On 2004-03-27 19:11, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Question Answered.
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/KamakaziSpike/kthxbye.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2004-03-27 19:29 ]</font>

Pancake
Mar 27, 2004, 10:46 PM
On 2004-03-27 19:25, Cheep wrote:

On 2004-03-27 19:15, Deathscythealpha wrote:

I thought gameboy had the best sales. Or does it count as a console? I'm still confused. Why would they make a 2d game for the ps2?! Will your sword still be one giant pixel?

Gameboy does have the best sales and always will, you hear that PSP?! Take the number of PS2 sold right now and multiply that by 5, Gamebiy has sold more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Episode3 on 2004-03-27 19:47 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 27, 2004, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the Game Boy doesn't really count as one of the consoles. It's a portable... they're usually counted separately.

And Episode 3... I love Nintendo as much as anyone, if not more, but don't you think you're straying a bit into fanboy territory?

Pancake
Mar 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
Perhaps, I jsut hate how all of a sudden Nintendo and Sega have kinda been overtaken by damn Sony and it's casual Gamers (Most of em are) I am done

Zzzzzz
Mar 28, 2004, 12:09 AM
On 2004-03-27 21:00, Episode3 wrote:
Perhaps, I jsut hate how all of a sudden Nintendo and Sega have kinda been overtaken by damn Sony and it's casual Gamers (Most of em are) I am done

Like that MTV awards I heard about.

Pancake
Mar 28, 2004, 12:14 AM
Spike TV awards you mean.

Neifan
Mar 28, 2004, 02:02 AM
Well, I don't know about any of that, because I could care less abour Spike TV, but I thought you guys might like some screen shots.

Title screen. (http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/junk/PSG1-1.jpg)

Cut-scene. (http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/junk/PSG1-3.jpg)

Over world scene. (http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/junk/PSG1-5.jpg)

Wedgie screen. (http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/junk/PSG1-6.jpg)

Dungeon scene. (http://www.caffiene-fueled.com/junk/PSG1-7.jpg)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neifan on 2004-03-27 23:03 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 03:14 AM
Looks pretty cool to me. I still haven't played the original Phantasy Star games... however, I'm always tempted to get the PS Collection on GBA for $20...

Pancake
Mar 28, 2004, 03:21 AM
Same here, what games are on it? PS 1-3?

_Sinue_
Mar 28, 2004, 12:29 PM
On the GBA version of the "Phantasy Star Collection" there are three games. Phantasy Star I, II, & III. The new Sega Ages remakes will cover games I, II, and IV. I don't know why they're skipping over III, since it probably needs the most re-work out of the entire series. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it misses the potential to be a GREAT game in compairison to the rest of the series.

As for the fanboyism... get over it. It was bound to happen sometime. Just like it happened with the Atari and Colecovision before them. Everyone has their favorite game maker.. but that doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't, enjoy other games on other consoles. I own all of them.. DC, PS2, NGC, and Xbox.. and honestly, I like them all. They all have games on them that I love to play and am glad I didn't miss out on. Dreamcast is still my favorite.. but I'm not going to ignore what Sony or Microsoft are offering just because I like Sega.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 28, 2004, 12:38 PM
On 2004-03-27 19:25, Cheep wrote:

Gameboy is counted as a Handheld Games Console, so is in a different genre from all the other consoles. And there not exactly making a new 2D for the PS2, the just upgrading an old 2D game to the PS2. Its basically the same as how Nintendo keep porting shinier versions of old games to the GBA.

Outrider
Mar 28, 2004, 01:11 PM
Huh, so they're making a Sega Ages version of PS IV? Well, then... I might just go pick up the PS Collection and hope that they release PS IV on PS2 in America.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 30, 2004, 05:52 PM
On 2004-03-27 15:59, Creinus_Man wrote:
Alright, alright. So Gamespot (Online site that loves PS2 just like EA loves it) Says that a Remake of the original Phantasy Star will come out for the Play Station 2. I find this hard to belive.
5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast.

I have no reason to believe a Phantasy Star Remake is actually in the works. Mabey a post of all those games in the link will be released with their currnt graphics. But I really find it hard to believe that ST would want to release another game on PS2 after seeing Sonic Hero's numbers on that system.

It's been mentioned already that Yuji Naka has nothing to do with the development of the Phantasy Star remakes. In fact, the development house of the remakes technically isn't even part of Sega. Sega licensed the titles to another company, which formed a division titled, "3D AGES" to develop the titles.

Next, the first batch of the AGES collection has already been released in Japan for the PS2. There are several people on the Phantasy Star Discussion Board that already have the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Generation 1. The port to the United States is furthermore, not being handled by Sega at all, but by Conspiracy Games.

And again, this game is not a sequel to PSO. It's a makeover of the classic original Phantasy Star, which was released in Japan in 1988, then in the United States in 1989-- it was the first console RPG released in the United States (though in Japan it was pre-dated by Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy).

For the record, the SEGA AGES collection line-up includes Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star IV, among many of Sega's other classic games. This collection is being released for the PlayStation 2, and there is no indication that they will ever be released for any other console. As far as why Phantasy Star 3 is not included in this line-up... Heck if I know. I suppose it just wasn't quite popular enough.