PDA

View Full Version : Time changes

Blitzkommando
Apr 3, 2004, 01:33 AM
Like the title says I hate time changes. Daylight Savings Time is the most annoying thing because it messes me up for a good two weeks or so... I know it was originally used for agriculture, but come on, times change. (ugh... bad pun) Anyways, just keep it at one time all year long. Darn clock changes...

_Ted_
Apr 3, 2004, 01:37 AM
Just messes you up for two weeks?! It must mess me up for somewhere around a month. I actually appreciate the "gain an hour one", but I think we can do without th upcoming "lose an hour one," the last thing I need now is too lose more sleep....speaking of sleep.........

_Sinue_
Apr 3, 2004, 02:35 AM
Move to Indiana.. we don't adhear to daylight savings time. Then again.. don't. Our idea of a clock is a sundial - a beer can sitting on the BBQ. Which is probably why we don't use DST...

Stupid hilljacks...

Logical2u
Apr 3, 2004, 07:19 AM
Also, one of the Western Provinces (I think it might be Manitoba, but I forget now) never changes for DST...

Look it up. Then get a good moving service.

Link00seven
Apr 3, 2004, 10:58 AM
The time change doenst really effect me, I just dont see a point to it, so I think we should leave it DST or Standard all year long. (I think DST all year, personally)

shifter
Apr 3, 2004, 12:32 PM
now adays its kinda useless, except for those people incharge who like mess with everyone. i mean, do farmers even us it now?

BRTW2
Apr 3, 2004, 01:17 PM
I slept in today since I'm gonna lose it tonight. They really should kill daylight savings time, and be like the rest of the world.

Sharkyland
Apr 3, 2004, 02:04 PM
I hate Daylight Savings Time.

Sord
Apr 3, 2004, 02:22 PM
none of this has an effect on me really, considering my sleep schedule is pretty much always whack, yet i still make it through the day pretty well.

Soukosa
Apr 3, 2004, 06:50 PM
On 2004-04-02 23:35, _Sinue_ wrote:
Move to Indiana.. we don't adhear to daylight savings time.

Not all of Indiana is like that. The part of the state that is in the Central time zone follows DST. I also heard that certain counties in the Eastern time zone follow it as well.

I heard that DST was first put to use in one of the world wars, so that it would light later on in the day, allowing less fuel to be used or something. It was thought of long before that though, but I can't remember for what purpose and who came up with it.

rising_sunset
Apr 3, 2004, 06:57 PM
On 2004-04-03 11:04, Sharkyland wrote:
I hate Daylight Savings Time.

haha, I really don't care much about it. It really seems the same to me. Because each day I only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep so it's all good! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sord
Apr 3, 2004, 08:52 PM
On 2004-04-03 15:50, Sounomi wrote:

On 2004-04-02 23:35, _Sinue_ wrote:
Move to Indiana.. we don't adhear to daylight savings time.

Not all of Indiana is like that. The part of the state that is in the Central time zone follows DST. I also heard that certain counties in the Eastern time zone follow it as well.

I heard that DST was first put to use in one of the world wars, so that it would light later on in the day, allowing less fuel to be used or something. It was thought of long before that though, but I can't remember for what purpose and who came up with it.

i think the purpose has to do with a day really being 23.something hours long, sure we have a leap year every four years, but i'm guessing if you do the math, you still wind up needing to change the clocks like that.

Codester
Apr 3, 2004, 11:35 PM
i think the purpose has to do with a day really being 23.something hours long, sure we have a leap year every four years, but i'm guessing if you do the math, you still wind up needing to change the clocks like that.

Nope, because we gain an hour in October and lose an hour in April, so there is no effect on total time.

Daylight savings acts just like the name suggests. I live in Maryland, and right before we set the clocks back in October, it's bacsicly pitch black out until 7:00. If we didn't change the times, people would be headed to work and school in the dark. Then they change it back so the sun isn't coming up at 4:30 in the morning during the summer months. I know some places don't have this same problem, but most mid to north states do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Codester on 2004-04-03 20:35 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Apr 4, 2004, 06:45 AM
I still hate it because of the clocks that you forget how to change back like wrist watches or those damn complicated car clocks.

*sigh* I wish my cuckoo clock worked.

Armok
Apr 5, 2004, 10:19 AM
I am usually awake 10am to 2am next day. So see around 7 hrs of light. I think I'm getting ripped off by this system. Anyone else agree?

oeagrus
Apr 5, 2004, 11:22 AM
Back in the early 1970's, Michigan (where I live) decided to ignore Daylight Savings for one year just to see how everything worked out...

For the most part, everyone agreed that they liked ignoring it, except for the fact that schoolchildren were now waiting at bus stops in complete, utter blackness at 7am. Parents complained...

and Michigan went back to observing it every spring.

Just thought I'd mention this!

Skett
Apr 5, 2004, 10:07 PM
Eh, doesn't really bother me. I just keep my clocks set at the same time all year. Sure I miss a lot of events but I really dont care.