PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Fooey

Skuda
Apr 8, 2004, 02:45 PM
What a load of garbage. It seems to me like another one of those fads that all these companies are jumping into and It'll either die in a few years, or it'll cause a bunch of newborns to have all these deficiencies.

and the thing is, some people are dumb enough to believe this stuff. yah it may work on some people, but we're all different and need different nourishment to keep helthy. some overweight people or dietrs are going to get in a lot of trouble later on.

derBauer
Apr 8, 2004, 02:52 PM
Any diet that says drinking vodka is good for you but eating an apple is bad, is retarded.

FOAtHeart
Apr 8, 2004, 03:53 PM
I hate all this atkins stuff. People are shelling out mountains of cash for 'Atkins friendly' foods that aren't really that nutritious. Like my friend said the other day, "Why do people pay so much for something that kills them?" The topic then was about smoking, but i think it works here. It's like paying a guy to stab you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Sharkyland
Apr 8, 2004, 03:54 PM
It's a very alternative way, but what people don't see is VHDL and the LDL in meat. I wonder if the Atkins diet includes fish...

*dreams of sushi*

Ness
Apr 8, 2004, 05:11 PM
The Atkins diet works because it causes you body to feed on itself in order to get the carbohybrates it needs to live. This is dangerous because the body doesn't always go for fat; it can go for muscles --particularly the heart-- as well.

_Ted_
Apr 8, 2004, 05:14 PM
That's kinda creepy Ness, you go on a diet, and then your body eats itself (eats its own heart!?)?!

Didn't Atkins die overweight?

BogusKun
Apr 8, 2004, 05:18 PM
Yea...

That's why it's called Atkins... Because it's basically the type of food HE SHOULD'VE ATE.

Sord
Apr 8, 2004, 05:18 PM
I know quite a few people on it, and their at the healthiest point in their lives. As for atkins friendly food, pfft, that's just a reson to use less bread and raise the price of a cheeseburger. Also, the atkins diet still wants you to have carbs, so your body isn't feeding off your body. It's just set to the point where you don't have so many carbs sotred up, and you just eat what you need. That's more or less what it is, just eating what you need. Granted, some people have taken the diet and twisted it's ways.

derBauer
Apr 8, 2004, 05:26 PM
Atkins dies overwight because once he lay comatose in the hospital awaiting death, his body stopped metabolizing whatever was in his IV's.

His diet had nothing to with his death. He fell and hit his head.

ABDUR101
Apr 8, 2004, 06:17 PM
A lot of people at my facility were on the Atkins diet. It doesn't work if you fucking cheat every other day, obviously.

One person lost 7lbs in a week or two, but then she cheated abit every few days. Another person would be on it while at work, go home and then just blow it off, and then was disgusted that it did'nt work.

It's called dedication and will power, some people have it, some don't.

Uncle_bob
Apr 8, 2004, 06:29 PM
Uncle knows of a great diet.

It's called "Uncle's stop eating so much and do some physical activity diet"! It does wonders. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Ness
Apr 8, 2004, 06:49 PM
On 2004-04-08 15:14, _Ted_ wrote:
That's kinda creepy Ness, you go on a diet, and then your body eats itself (eats its own heart!?)?!

Didn't Atkins die overweight?

Well that happens whenever you eat less than you noramlly do. It is just that most of the time it eats fat. I don't know what it is about carbless diest, but they cause the body to start feeding on both fat and muscle.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 8, 2004, 06:53 PM
On 2004-04-08 15:11, Ness wrote:
The Atkins diet works because it causes you body to feed on itself in order to get the carbohybrates it needs to live. This is dangerous because the body doesn't always go for fat; it can go for muscles --particularly the heart-- as well.

The thing that balances that, however, is that the Atkins diet is a high-protein diet. This means that any muscle that your body consumes to substitute for carbohydrates is easily and rapidly replaced. If you aren't eating lots of meat, then you're not following the diet properly.

Still, I think people are indeed getting ripped off. If you want to lose weight, and do it in a healthy fashion, then it's simple to accomplish:

Stop eating Twinkies
Eat healthy foods
Consider eating less
Get more exercise

That's it. Why do people waste so much effort, elsewhere?

Ness
Apr 8, 2004, 07:31 PM
Oh course, eating all those meats leads to other problems, like cholestorol.

anwserman
Apr 8, 2004, 07:46 PM
Yeah... I see it as this:

Starving is bad for you.
Being overweight is bad for you.

At least temporairly starving yourself to lose weight is better in the long run then just staying overweight... because I hate to tell you, starving yourself for a couple months to shed all that extra weight isn't going to kill you; obesity, however, will.

Ness
Apr 8, 2004, 07:53 PM
Yes but by straving yourself, you body goes into power-save mode, causing your metabolism to slow down. That is why people that do that gain all the weight back. And everytime they starave themselves that their body gets better at going itno power-save mode, acausing them to gain it all back even faster.

_Ted_
Apr 8, 2004, 07:55 PM
On 2004-04-08 17:46, anwserman wrote:

Starving is bad for you.

At least temporairly starving yourself to lose weight is better in the long run then just staying overweight... because I hate to tell you, starving yourself for a couple months to shed all that extra weight isn't going to kill you; obesity, however, will.

Well, In those few months you may become weak from malnutrition, go out in the rain one day, catch a bad case of pneumonia, run up a terrible hospital bill, linger for a few days, and then die.

anwserman
Apr 8, 2004, 07:58 PM
On 2004-04-08 17:55, _Ted_ wrote:

On 2004-04-08 17:46, anwserman wrote:

Starving is bad for you.

Well, In those few months you may become weak from malnutrition, go out in the rain one day, catch a bad case of pneumonia, run up a terrible hospital bill, linger for a few days, and then die.

Realistically.
A huge hurricane could form in Lake Superior, causing all of Northern Wisconsin to flood and I could drown in our basement of the house, which is perched ontop of a hill.

Chances are it isn't going to happen.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 8, 2004, 08:10 PM
On 2004-04-08 17:31, Ness wrote:
Oh course, eating all those meats leads to other problems, like cholestorol.

This is true. On the other hand, Dr. Atkins himself practiced this diet for most of his life, and had no such problems. Without knowing the details of the diet, we're in no position to debate on it.

I do know however, that one of the foods that's really pushed in this diet is Salmon-- a fish that many doctors and dieticians believe may be the single healthiest food that a human can eat.

Not to go against my opinion that people are getting ripped off concerning diets.

Skuda
Apr 8, 2004, 09:23 PM
Uncle knows of a great diet.

It's called "Uncle's stop eating so much and do some physical activity diet"! It does wonders.

Uncle Bob, you read my mind.

Sord
Apr 8, 2004, 09:31 PM
On 2004-04-08 18:10, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I do know however, that one of the foods that's really pushed in this diet is Salmon-- a fish that many doctors and dieticians believe may be the single healthiest food that a human can eat.

I'm not sure weather it's okay with the diet, but pomegranite is said y doctors and dietichians to be a lot healthier than other fruits and veges, not sure about meats though. It also has the healthiest juice, beating all sports drinks as well. Only problem is it takes a lot of omegranites for one bottle, so they are like 4 bucks a bottle.

Solstis
Apr 9, 2004, 12:11 AM
On 2004-04-08 19:31, Sord wrote:

On 2004-04-08 18:10, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

I'm not sure weather it's okay with the diet, but pomegranite is said y doctors and dietichians to be a lot healthier than other fruits and veges, not sure about meats though. It also has the healthiest juice, beating all sports drinks as well. Only problem is it takes a lot of omegranites for one bottle, so they are like 4 bucks a bottle.

That's a cool, if un-spellable fruit. Though hard to eat (I am thinking of the right fruit, right?), it is rather tasty+healthy.

I also prefer the actual fruit to the juice most of the time---they always add all that stuffage...

Sharkyland
Apr 9, 2004, 06:53 AM
The body follows an order to where it gets its energy... the chain is this:

carbohydrates -> stored fats (includes some lipids) -> proteins (animo acids) -> nucleic acids (DNA RNA)

Basically Atkins is to remove the carbohydrates and go straight to the stored fats. Though there are some fats that can't be converted to energy.

If you have taken a blood test, you get a report on your HDL, LDL, and VLDL. LDL and VLDL are very bad. From a children's book from what I heard is that VLDL transfers fat around the body, but when they are done with transporting the fat, they turn into LDL where they can actually stick to the walls of your blood vessels which can be very dangerous.

---

It's not only your heart that gets attacked, everywhere on your body gets attacked as well.

Though what really scares me is when you get strept throat. I heard that the bacteria looks exactly like your heart cells, so your own immune system sometimes attack your heart cells.