PDA

View Full Version : Ep 3

superjaws
Apr 15, 2004, 03:35 PM
okay i'm tired of people complaining that ep 3 is so different from the rest of the series. if ne thing its returning phantasy star back to its roots and PSO ep1&2 is the annomally. phantasy star has been wholesome turn-based goodness until pso when it became hack and slash. instead of complaining about ep3 true phantasy fans should be rejoicing!

KodiaX987
Apr 15, 2004, 08:25 PM
The roots were those of an RPG, Einstein. Not a card game!

Solstis
Apr 15, 2004, 08:32 PM
On 2004-04-15 18:25, KodiaX987 wrote:
The roots were those of an RPG, Einstein. Not a card game!

*Ka-Slap!*

Lol.

You know ST really wanted a card game all along.

I mean, the first ones were turn based and everything!

Lol. but bud, you did miss the gist of the grumbles -- Cards.

*I summon you, Blue Eyes Yellow Booma!*

Arislan
Apr 16, 2004, 12:33 AM
And those of you equating it to Yugi-Oh are likely just as ignorant. Both would be incorrect.

Saying that Ep 3 is like Yugi-Oh is like saying that Ep 1 and 2 is like Zelda. I mean, both have the same fighting styles, minus the Z Lockon!

And why is it always Yugi-Oh? What happened to good old fashioned demon spawned Magic: The Gathering?

SpikeOtacon
Apr 16, 2004, 05:15 AM
I complain because I can, bud. Don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that. Of course, I don't have to complain, but I do. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Quite simply, I could care less about the card part. Sure it's different, but isn't that what we kinda want to see in today's games? But yes, you kinda missed the main part of the complaints, it's a card game. And while they may have gotten their card game, I always see PSO as the hack n' slash RPG.

Ness
Apr 16, 2004, 05:55 AM
On 2004-04-15 22:33, Arislan wrote:

And why is it always Yugi-Oh? What happened to good old fashioned demon spawned Magic: The Gathering?

Because Magic: The Gathering is bad ass. Ep 3, however, is lame just like Yu-Gi-Oh.

Armok
Apr 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
Never played MTG but yugiohs shite.

Outrider
Apr 16, 2004, 11:45 AM
What I don't understand is when people call it Pokemon.

There was one Pokemon card game, people. There have been more Dragonball card games. By the logic I've seen, everyone should be calling it a "st00pid Dragonball game!!!1!"

KodiaX987
Apr 16, 2004, 11:47 AM
No; that, we reserve for The Matrix. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

navci
Apr 16, 2004, 12:26 PM
You know what I hate?
EP 3 Bashing.
EP 3 Basher Bashing.

It gets old! If it is your cup of tea, go for it. If it is not, leave it alone. The bashing and flames will never end if you keep bringing it up... much like the legit vs cheater debate. There will be no conclusion, and it will last forever. So just put it down, and let it be. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

metermore
Apr 16, 2004, 12:31 PM
sega and sonic team made a card game cause they dont care what we think cause we will always buy less copies than people in Japan and at this moment card games are problly tieing with people who play PSO over there

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-04-15 18:32, Solstis wrote:

You know ST really wanted a card game all along.

I mean, the first ones were turn based and everything!

Actually, Sonic Team had nothing to do with any Phantasy Star games before PSO. It's true that Yuji Naka was responsible for the programming of the original Phantasy Star (that's ONLY the code, not ANY of the characters or ANY of the story-- it takes more than one person to make a game, people), and it's also true that he was involved in the creation of Phantasy Star 2, but both of those games were made before there was ever an established "Sonic Team". "Sonic Team" didn't even appear until Sonic The Hedgehog 2, which is predated by the first three games of the series. The first three were simply made by "Sega," and the fourth game was the creation of Overworks, which was headed up by Reiko Kodama (Pheonix Rie), who was the lead character designer and story writer of the first game, and also had a hand in Phantasy Star 2-- Overworks was also the team that developed Skies of Arcadia, and most of Sega's other RPGs. In fact, most of the people involved in the first two Phantasy Star games ended up in Overworks, and very few of them in Sonic Team.

So yeah.

As for my opinion of people who bash Episode 3... Their complaints about Episode 3 being like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon makes them obviously too young to remember games like Magic: The Gathering, and therefore dates them at 15 years old or younger. Only a child barely overcoming puberty wouldn't remember the craze over the older, considerably more mature card games that made the entire genre popular to begin with.

I still don't understand why people were surprised about a PSO card game, though. The concept was only presented at E3 like, three or four years ago when PSO first appeared. Albeit, in those days, it was speculated that it'd be for the GBA...

KodiaX987
Apr 16, 2004, 01:06 PM
Correction: Sonic the Hedgehos 1 for the Genesis was made by Sonic Team - says so in the game's intro screen.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 01:58 PM
On 2004-04-16 11:06, KodiaX987 wrote:
Correction: Sonic the Hedgehos 1 for the Genesis was made by Sonic Team - says so in the game's intro screen.

It's still predated by Phantasy Star 3, which was released in Japan in April of 1990, compared to Sonic the Hedgehog's June of 1991 in Japan.

Scejntjynahl
Apr 16, 2004, 02:14 PM
Its always funny seen ppl trying to prove Meira wrong, just wont happen.

Back on topic:

Dont like the game, dont play it. Enough said.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 02:20 PM
On 2004-04-16 12:14, Furankunichan wrote:
Its always funny seen ppl trying to prove Meira wrong, just wont happen.

Well... I am wrong, on occasion. I generally like to do a bit of research on a subject before I make an argument concerning it, though.

navci
Apr 16, 2004, 02:24 PM
On 2004-04-16 11:03, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
The first three were simply made by "Sega," and the fourth game was the creation of Overworks, which was headed up by Reiko Kodama (Pheonix Rie), who was the lead character designer and story writer of the first game, and also had a hand in Phantasy Star 2-- Overworks was also the team that developed Skies of Arcadia, and most of Sega's other RPGs. In fact, most of the people involved in the first two Phantasy Star games ended up in Overworks, and very few of them in Sonic Team.

And the lot of them went onto making "Eternal Arcadia" which, has an encounter rate that really reminds you of Phantasy Star, or so I am told. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 03:06 PM
On 2004-04-16 12:24, navi wrote:
And the lot of them went onto making "Eternal Arcadia" which, has an encounter rate that really reminds you of Phantasy Star, or so I am told. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah... Eternal Arcadia, or as it's known in the US, Skies of Arcadia, had a truely absurd encounter rate on the Dreamcast. The GameCube version is much better about it; on the GameCube version, just turning your ship around 180 degrees isn't quite so likely to result in a fight, but on the Dreamcast... Goodness... I don't know how I ever got through that game.

And yeah, the original Phantasy Star had a rather high encounter rate as well. In Phantasy Star, if you were in a dungeon then the simple act of running from a fight beared the possibility of getting into another fight. Some people really complain about that with Phantasy Star IV ("Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium" in Japan) like that, as well.

navci
Apr 16, 2004, 03:24 PM
On 2004-04-16 13:06, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Yeah... Eternal Arcadia, or as it's known in the US, Skies of Arcadia, had a truely absurd encounter rate on the Dreamcast.

Absurd is right. Imagine you are on the JP version of the game where you can't skip battle scenes. So you have to look at Aika doing her Lamda Burst everytime in each encounter. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif You just can't enjoy the exploring if you can't walk two steps without bumping into something hostile.

Still. It was a great game and I <3 it.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 03:28 PM
On 2004-04-16 13:24, navi wrote:
Absurd is right. Imagine you are on the JP version of the game where you can't skip battle scenes. So you have to look at Aika doing her Lamda Burst everytime in each encounter. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif You just can't enjoy the exploring if you can't walk two steps without bumping into something hostile.

Still. It was a great game and I <3 it.

I dunno... I never skipped the special attack animations, anyway. Especially Aika's. Upon further observation, Aika may be the reason that game kept my attention long enough for me to beat it. It may've been more to the lack of anyone better to look at, but I rather liked Aika.

navci
Apr 16, 2004, 04:28 PM
On 2004-04-16 13:28, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I dunno... I never skipped the special attack animations, anyway. Especially Aika's. Upon further observation, Aika may be the reason that game kept my attention long enough for me to beat it. It may've been more to the lack of anyone better to look at, but I rather liked Aika.

Yes. I like Aika. Fina is nice, but I like Aika's type better. But further more Vyse > j00. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And if you were ever tempted to fight Ramirez before you were meant to, it was teh evil.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2004, 04:52 PM
I did that... After about an hour I realized that you were MEANT to lose that fight...

But I was just...

"No! I refuse... to... give.. UP!"

I finally lost when I ran out of healing items, and therefore found myself unable carry on. One by one my team fell, but by gosh, I went down fighting, dangit!

navci
Apr 16, 2004, 05:01 PM
On 2004-04-16 14:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I finally lost when I ran out of healing items, and therefore found myself unable carry on. One by one my team fell, but by gosh, I went down fighting, dangit!

Go you! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Okay. We should stop derailing the thread now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Scejntjynahl
Apr 16, 2004, 05:04 PM
On 2004-04-16 14:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I did that... After about an hour I realized that you were MEANT to lose that fight...

But I was just...

"No! I refuse... to... give.. UP!"

Now we know where Dragoon gets his bloodlust! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I HATE THEM, THEY DONT DIE...