PDA

View Full Version : Name not accepted

therealdeal
Apr 20, 2004, 11:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my XBOX won't let me use the name Raistlin? Regardless of the combination of caps I tried to use with the spelling, it wouldn't accept it. It just cleared the box. It ain't the greatest name I've ever decided to use, but I likes it.

Hikara
Apr 20, 2004, 11:48 AM
probably already used...

Garanz2
Apr 20, 2004, 02:36 PM
Maybe the name contains an obscene/swear word in a foreign language or something. I've tried giving characters names with cussing in them, and they're blocked.

I tried to make a character called Shitake. You know, the mushroom, but no. All swearing is blocked from character names. I can't say that I blame ST, but it can get annoying.

Riu_000
Apr 20, 2004, 03:59 PM
Heh, it's funny. Someone I know has the name Jude, yet you can't say his name online because it's banned, yet he can use it..

PhotonDrop
Apr 20, 2004, 04:03 PM
On 2004-04-20 13:59, Riu_000 wrote:
Heh, it's funny. Someone I know has the name Jude, yet you can't say his name online because it's banned, yet he can use it..

Thats because Jude is Jew in another language, German I think...

Rotis
Apr 20, 2004, 05:37 PM
Yeah, it seems that some words were added to the censor list afterwards. Acceptable in character creation, but not online.

I once met a fellow named PorkLoin who was freaking out because his name got censored online.

A friend of mine got PSO, and he got terribly frustrated with the game before he even made a character because he wanted to name it "Fagan" and it wouldn't let him. Poor guy, he was so confused.

Scejntjynahl
Apr 20, 2004, 05:49 PM
I think Raistlin is perhaps a copyrighted name? I know it belongs to a mage from some novel... just cant remember which one...

Bradicus
Apr 20, 2004, 08:28 PM
On 2004-04-20 15:49, Furankunichan wrote:
I think Raistlin is perhaps a copyrighted name? I know it belongs to a mage from some novel... just cant remember which one...

Heh. I knew i recognized it from somewhere...

Anyway, i doubt that some obscure character's name would be censored for copyright reasons (or even a highly popular one for that matter).

KodiaX987
Apr 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
If Weis & Hickman actually TOLD Sega not to accept Dragonlance names on PSO, I wish them death and pain forever.

Gnarled_rose
Apr 20, 2004, 08:45 PM
On 2004-04-20 18:28, Bradicus wrote:

On 2004-04-20 15:49, Furankunichan wrote:

Heh. I knew i recognized it from somewhere...

Anyway, i doubt that some obscure character's name would be censored for copyright reasons (or even a highly popular one for that matter).

Dragonlance. The book series. The ever-popular book series. The book series that--*Looks at Hikara, who's borrowed favorite Dragonlance book; bursts out into a full-speed sprint, heading for a tackle.*

therealdeal
Apr 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks everybody. Hadn't thought about the other language thing, or the fact that either TSR or Wizards of the Coast may have asked them to block names, which seems silly. Just as feasible as any other reason, I imagine. They had the perfect decrepit face for him as a human force though. It's a shame.