PDA

View Full Version : Personal ID cards

Armok
Apr 23, 2004, 04:19 AM
No offence but fuck that shit man i aint give the government a DNA sample and my finger/eye scans. Thats far to 1984 type oppression for me. Due to 9/11 the government has desided to infringe the rights of the common man by being allowed to hold ppl indefinatly without trial and pass through a load of big brother type laws allowing them to monitor ppl in a way that limits personal liberties.

These things may seem like a good idea but with the availbility of such information many ppl could end up being screwed over by system glitchs. Designer Viruses could be made to target certain dna strands (wipe out all blue eyed ppl for example). Ppl could be set up/cloned using genetic evidence for crimes/genetic research without them knowing. Increasing national security is one thing but this is going to far

Sharkyland
Apr 23, 2004, 08:22 AM
Sounds like Episode 3... without the dictatorship. Though the DNA thing is kinda infringing private rights.

They say another sign that the world is going to end is the adoption of inserting a microchip into the body where people could just scan you to learn certain information about you. There are some resistors that could be put in your body where a satellite can track you where ever you go.

Armok
Apr 23, 2004, 08:37 AM
Has anyone tried going on a plane lately its terrible it takes about 7 hrs. Its far too much the only way to make air travel safe would be to not allow any personal items on board a flight with ppl and have them carried by a separtate plane. The worlds taking a far too paraniod view on this whole security theme.
edit
Sorry to over rant but I have just had to put up with this stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armok on 2004-04-23 06:38 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Apr 23, 2004, 08:42 AM
I think the flight industry would be at the one loss there. Carrying stuff on another plane would a) create more traffic at the airport as if it wasn't bad enough (more like taking off and landing), b) more manpower needs to be hired, and c) I think it would be difficult to see what may have caused the explosion on the 'other' plane.

shifter
Apr 23, 2004, 10:01 AM
if there doing this cause of the airline industry, thats would be truely fucked up. first of all, they had such lax security up till 9/11 that anyone could sneak anything aboard. then they get all this government money to bolster there security(which should have already been up since that isralli(sp) highjacking way back), and all they do is install a bunch of metal detecters that arent all used at once or are operated by people who dont know how to use them well. i mean regular people are testing them, and managed to sneakknives and other stuff past security. its cause of crap like this that i rarely fly unless im in a hurry. this whole thing makes me sick, the people get, well punished for some business's lack of money spending.

anwserman
Apr 23, 2004, 10:27 AM
On 2004-04-23 02:19, Armok wrote:
No offence but fuck that shit man i aint give the government a DNA sample and my finger/eye scans. Thats far to 1984 type oppression for me. Due to 9/11 the government has desided to infringe the rights of the common man by being allowed to hold ppl indefinatly without trial and pass through a load of big brother type laws allowing them to monitor ppl in a way that limits personal liberties.

The ID cards might possibly be going to far.
But, as in regards to the whole US/Guantanamo Bay thing, those people aren't US citizens and don't get any protections from the Constitution. They're not citizens, never will, so they can't say their consitutional rights are infringed since they don't have any to begin with.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 23, 2004, 11:41 AM

These things may seem like a good idea but with the availbility of such information many ppl could end up being screwed over by system glitchs. Designer Viruses could be made to target certain dna strands (wipe out all blue eyed ppl for example). Ppl could be set up/cloned using genetic evidence for crimes/genetic research without them knowing. Increasing national security is one thing but this is going to far

What the hell are you talking about? Who's taking DNA samples and eye scans?

Outrider
Apr 23, 2004, 02:27 PM
On 2004-04-23 09:41, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? Who's taking DNA samples and eye scans?

Apparently the government. Conspiracies abound.

Seriously, is this in relation to some news story or something along those lines?

Firocket1690
Apr 23, 2004, 03:46 PM
Link please ?
Where did you hear of this ?
No chance of this happening in America anytime soon. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They're just getting up with the SmartCard thingy in Asia Pacific (Eastern Asia)
And that only holds a little bit of data, not just on the card, but a little computer chip thingy. No dna required. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

WraithVerge
Apr 23, 2004, 03:47 PM
On 2004-04-23 06:22, Sharkyland wrote:
Sounds like Episode 3... without the dictatorship. Though the DNA thing is kinda infringing private rights.

They say another sign that the world is going to end is the adoption of inserting a microchip into the body where people could just scan you to learn certain information about you. There are some resistors that could be put in your body where a satellite can track you where ever you go.

I wasn't sure if anyone else heard about the microchip bit. Supposedly, chips will be inserted into your forehead and the wrist[s] (palm[s]?).

Apparently the government. Conspiracies abound.

Seriously, is this in relation to some news story or something along those lines?

I believe this has to do with the recent Grand Jury trials about the rights of detainees at Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay). While I haven't heard anything about these ID cards and DNA stuff, its still possible that the gov. would pull a stunt like this....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-04-23 13:48 ]</font>

Armok
Apr 27, 2004, 03:41 AM
Ok the DNA was a misinformed bit of info

Link
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040426/325/es0lc.html

Facial recoginition and iris scans is way to far though.

And a key point worth mentioning this wouldnt have stopped 9/11 as they used their REAL names and passports or the Madrid train bombing.

Oh and the personal microchips under the skin is real but you have to volenteer to have one of those at present but don't worry I'm sure they'll get round to making those compulsory also.

Arislan
Apr 27, 2004, 04:11 AM
I doubt that compulsory microchips will be in our immediate or near reaching future. Designer superhuman genetically altered babies, maybe, but people have a certain aversion to being tracked by the government all the time.

Armok
Apr 27, 2004, 04:25 AM
The problem is the general population is so lazy it is unwilling to put up a protest against something that 90% of them see as wrong but a minor point. What happens when personal ID cards don't work at stopping Terrorist attacks (becuase pieces of plastic don't defuse bombs) do they then start microchipping ppl.

I don't want my every detail on some government database what happens when billy haker comes along and breaks into it so allowing him to sell this info to all kinds of under hand companys.

Also with the levels of government corruption whos to say if you become important, they just won't set you up using your finger prints and an actor who looks similar to you for personal reasons. They would have the ability to do so.

Cowboy
Apr 27, 2004, 06:24 AM
On 2004-04-27 02:25, Armok wrote:
What happens when personal ID cards don't work at stopping Terrorist attacks (becuase pieces of plastic don't defuse bombs) do they then start microchipping ppl.

O.o nope, 9/11 has come and gone, and i dont have a microship in me.

I don't want my every detail on some government database what happens when billy haker comes along and breaks into it so allowing him to sell this info to all kinds of under hand companys.

If someone can hack into a goverment database, they could easily hack into your own computer and get all the info on it. Want a scarier thought? I an find ut where you live, who you are, and your crimes without even looking at your face.

All i need to do is look at your liscence plate http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cowboy on 2004-04-27 04:25 ]</font>

Kizaragu
Apr 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
I think it should be pointed out that this is what the English government is seriousely considering.
Dunno about the USA, but there seems to be a bit of confusion amongst you all.
Just thought I'd point that out.

I've been led to believe that one of the main reasons they're considering doing this, is to deter illigal immigrants?
As it is allegedly getting pretty bad over here lately for things like that.

But I could have my facts wrong as I haven't really been watching the news proppally.
Just background noise to me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif