PDA

View Full Version : I'm so retarded...

Evil_Althena8
May 4, 2004, 02:49 PM
Ok, I'm normally not too much of an impulse buyer, but seriously...i just made a retarded buy. I'm currently really into the card game Magic:The Gathering (i'm sure most of you have heard of it...maybe even play it). My friends and I will get into Magic as an off and on type of hobby. I hadn't played in over a year till the friday before last...now I'm completley back into it. ANYWAY...to get to the point, I just bought 3 cards for $70...yes, THREE cards for $70!!! In context of the cardgame itself, it was worth it(each one is worth $30, BTW it's called Morphling if you play Magic). But when I think about it, it disgusts me. It's kinda similar to PSO in the way it takes over your life BUT the major difference is you don't pay as nearly as much money with PSO! In Magic you have to keep buying the new cards or you will fall behind and become complete crap. Competition for card collections plays a major role too. For those of you out there who want to use their money on USEFUL things, DON'T GET INTO THIS GAME!!

Kizaragu
May 4, 2004, 03:53 PM
I kinda see where your coming from...

Back when PSO had literally just came out for the GC, I went a tad overboard (This is when the keyboards weren't as readilly available over here as they are now) and spent 100 pound (I got ripped off I know. Don't start. The guy saw me coming...) on an imported Ascii Japanese Keyboard/Controller combo for the GC.
I played the game online till my free hunters license ran out, then had no use for the thing due to online technicalities... (Long story)
The only conselation and a small one at that, was my friend also stupidly forked out for one and did the same thing.

I'm a consumer whore.

100 quid wasted on something I could've (Or in the end, might not even have botherd with) got a month or two later for considerably cheaper.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020729l.gif

_Ted_
May 4, 2004, 05:44 PM
On 2004-05-04 12:49, Evil_Althena8 wrote:
Ok, I'm normally not too much of an impulse buyer, but seriously...i just made a retarded buy. I'm currently really into the card game Magic:The Gathering (i'm sure most of you have heard of it...maybe even play it). My friends and I will get into Magic as an off and on type of hobby. I hadn't played in over a year till the friday before last...now I'm completley back into it. ANYWAY...to get to the point, I just bought 3 cards for $70...yes, THREE cards for $70!!! In context of the cardgame itself, it was worth it(each one is worth $30, BTW it's called Morphling if you play Magic). But when I think about it, it disgusts me. It's kinda similar to PSO in the way it takes over your life BUT the major difference is you don't pay as nearly as much money with PSO! In Magic you have to keep buying the new cards or you will fall behind and become complete crap. Competition for card collections plays a major role too. For those of you out there who want to use their money on USEFUL things, DON'T GET INTO THIS GAME!!

Magic does it money like crazy, but why did you go and spend 70$ on three cards?! Are you nuts? Did you hit your head or something?

You don't always have to keep up with the most recent cards either, there are plenty good cards in the previous sets that you can still buy.

Evil_Althena8
May 4, 2004, 05:51 PM
On 2004-05-04 15:44, _Ted_ wrote:

Magic does it money like crazy, but why did you go and spend 70$ on three cards?! Are you nuts? Did you hit your head or something?

You don't always have to keep up with the most recent cards either, there are plenty good cards in the previous sets that you can still buy.

3 morphlings, considered one the best creatures ever made, is worth (in magic terms) $70. The normal price for one is $30. Besides I COULD resell them or just trade them for a shitload of good cards.

_Ted_
May 4, 2004, 06:00 PM
On 2004-05-04 15:51, Evil_Althena8 wrote:

On 2004-05-04 15:44, _Ted_ wrote:

3 morphlings, considered one the best creatures ever made, is worth (in magic terms) $70. The normal price for one is $30. Besides I COULD resell them or just trade them for a shitload of good cards.

I am aware of that, but still, 70$ ?! And 3 of them?!

Evil_Althena8
May 4, 2004, 06:10 PM
On 2004-05-04 16:00, _Ted_ wrote:

I am aware of that, but still, 70$ ?! And 3 of them?!

Don't worry, I have money to waste. and 3 is a good number

Pancake
May 4, 2004, 09:22 PM
Remember Pokemon cards and Charzards were going for $150?

Shattered_weasel
May 4, 2004, 11:23 PM
Dude I only go for the type 2 cards because the extended shit aint worth it. Those tournies are fucked.

Firocket1690
May 4, 2004, 11:41 PM
On 2004-05-04 19:22, Pancake wrote:
Remember Pokemon cards and Charzards were going for $150?

I think I still have mine somewhere. And I only paid 4.99 + tax for it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Every now and then after school, I walk over to the local card shop so see what's up.

The shop was selling Exodia (Yu Gi Oh) at about 50 bucks apiece, and 200 for the set of five.
Weird thing is, a little six year old (maybe older) begged his mom to buy it for him, and she did...
=/

Arislan
May 4, 2004, 11:55 PM
This is why I prefer my digital crack in just that form these days, digitally. No more buying booster packs for me...

I don't even want to consider the amount I've spent on stuff, but let's recount a little...

Warhammer 40K- Over half the Deathwing, including Land Raiders, and over 2 companies of marines),

Magic- At least 20 boxes of cards that I can remember, and numerous single card trades/sales with friends. Stopped playing and buying around Alliances, although my one remaining deck can somehow still beat all these new players.

Middle Earth- At least 4 boxes

Lord of the Rings- Two boxes of each expansion up till Two Towers, and every starter till then.

Legend of the Five Rings- Boxes and starters from every set up till Gold, no diamond purchased.

Various other pithy games I tried, like Wyvern, Knights of the Round table, and others...

Hence the reason digital style crack is better. Around 60 bucks a month to play a few online games, and I get everything out of them that's available. Can't beat it.

KaFKa
May 5, 2004, 04:49 AM
morphlings are fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but $70? come on now, man. if you got money like that send some of it over my way, im in the need of cash right now

Armok
May 5, 2004, 06:06 AM
Wanting new cards is a sign that youve not got a very good deck. Maybe buying a deck building book would have been a better investment. Personally I'd of bought myself some boxes of booster packs off ebay. Your bound to pikc up at least a few good cards if you buy like a box of booster packs. Plus you'll get yourself a few filler cards to brigde gaps etc.

Evil_Althena8
May 5, 2004, 11:57 AM
On 2004-05-05 04:06, Armok wrote:
Wanting new cards is a sign that youve not got a very good deck. Maybe buying a deck building book would have been a better investment. Personally I'd of bought myself some boxes of booster packs off ebay. Your bound to pikc up at least a few good cards if you buy like a box of booster packs. Plus you'll get yourself a few filler cards to brigde gaps etc.

I already bought a box of packs for $100 at a local gaming store, and I got alot of cool stuff. There are specific cards I'm trying to get for certain decks, which is why I'm buying singles.