PDA

View Full Version : Indie Emo Hipsters

Vanango
May 7, 2004, 05:39 AM
So a lot of people are guilty of this, but it's especially prevalent in the 'indie rock' subculture. The “i-like-the-obscure-band-no-one-has-heard-of” and “i-only-listen-to-music-you-don’t-know-otherwise-i-don’t-like-it-anymore” and the “my-music-is-that-much-better-because-it-is-not-pop” and “i-totally-knew-about-that-band-before-you-and-you-aren't-worthy-to-like-this-band.”

The same people that complain when their favorite band is playing at the warped tour after ranting about how main stream music is terrible and how society has no taste. *long drag of a self-rolled-cigarette* So what you like is finally becoming popular, why are you so disgusted? Doesn’t that just mean that society is starting to have better taste in music? Suddenly you can listen to the music you want to hear on the radio.

People so obsessed with not being like anyone else and doing exactly what other aren't doing. Trying to be extra special and unique and "weird." People are so concerned with what other people think. They really aren't any much better than the people that like things just because it's trendy.

I will like what I like. If it happens to be trendy then rad. Maybe it'll be easier to find. I'll have something to talk about with others. If it happens to be more underground, then neat, I have a secret. If other people like it, double neat.

If everyone else is doing it, hey, maybe they are on to something, maybe I'll try doing it too. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. How am I to know unless I try? Why would I let other people's opinions influence mine? Regardless of whether their opinion is a positive one or not.

Most musicians may or may not want to become rock star famous, however becoming upset that a band has supposedly sold out is ridiculous. They are trying to make a living. You might not agree with their point of view and not wanting to support it, but it doesn’t change the music. Music is pure, it isn’t good or bad based on whatever fabrications society places on it. People are inevitably not going to like the same music, that’s what makes music so interesting. That’s diversity.

The more you like the more you can appreciate and the more that will make you happy. That is not limited to music: be it art, food, sports, people, cultures, games, interests, places, animals, books, languages… as long as it isn’t harmful or destructive, why not? So you happen to like some local band? Awesome, why be ashamed if you like Britney Spear’s newest song? You can still like Modest Mouse, Mozart, Manu Chao, Crash Test Dummies, Outkast, Yakza, Rod Stewart, Garth Brookes, Marilyn Monroe, The Mars Volta, The Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode, the FF Soundtracks, or whatever you please. If it makes you happy why pretend otherwise? Why let music define you?

Ness
May 7, 2004, 06:03 AM
Trying to be different is just as bad as trying to be the same. You are just conforming with the nonconformists. You should just be yourself whether it's the same or different.

Armok
May 7, 2004, 07:04 AM
Trying to be different is the new conforming.

Trying to be the same as everyone else just makes you end up different.

As for the ppl who are obcessed with new music. I hate the 'I saw the band live 3 years before they where famous and everyone else copied me ppl'. When really they ment to say 'I accidently had to sit through a set of theres while waiting for britney to come on stage'.

DarthFomar
May 7, 2004, 07:31 AM
Just be yourself....let it all go with the flow, let it all hang out, shiikaka. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Outrider
May 7, 2004, 09:04 AM
On 2004-05-07 05:04, Armok wrote:
I hate the 'I saw the band live 3 years before they where famous and everyone else copied me ppl'. When really they ment to say 'I accidently had to sit through a set of theres while waiting for britney to come on stage'.

Ha ha ha! Now that's a line worth keeping.

Hrith
May 7, 2004, 09:07 AM
like any Pixies fan, I like you, Vanango http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Vanango
May 7, 2004, 11:33 AM
On 2004-05-07 07:07, Kef wrote:
like any Pixies fan, I like you, Vanango http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

*squeals* Soooo good.

lain2k3
May 7, 2004, 02:15 PM
yeah, I hate them too.

stuff being popular is not a reason to not like it.

Firocket1690
May 9, 2004, 08:35 AM
Debatable.

Techno will never become mainstream.

lain2k3
May 9, 2004, 08:40 AM
On 2004-05-09 06:35, Firocket1690 wrote:
Debatable.

but that is not a reason to say you like techno.

Zaneatron
May 9, 2004, 08:44 AM
Debatable.

that may be the case in the US, its fucking all over Europe though. not as bad in england, but we still get a lot of it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Solstis
May 9, 2004, 08:57 AM
On 2004-05-09 06:44, Zaneatron wrote:

Debatable.

that may be the case in the US, its fucking all over Europe though. not as bad in england, but we still get a lot of it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Techno itself is mainstream, but not the artists.

Reminds me of the people who claim that Daft Punk became mainstream.... the look pretty obscure to me now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Evil_Althena8
May 9, 2004, 07:14 PM
i hate it when people like music for its image. I like music for itself, the sound it produces, and the way it makes me feel. It's quite pathetic when some people try so hard to be different when in reality they are conforming to being "unique". I'm one of the only (if THE only) people that one moment can listen to Badunkadunk by Twista then listen to Xenosaga OST and Linkin Park, then sad piano music, and Blink 182. I don't have a favourite anything when it comes to music. I may only like 1 song by a particular group or person, it just depends.

EJ
May 9, 2004, 07:57 PM
On 2004-05-09 17:14, Evil_Althena8 wrote:
i hate it when people like music for its image. I like music for itself, the sound it produces, and the way it makes me feel. It's quite pathetic when some people try so hard to be different when in reality they are conforming to being "unique". I'm one of the only (if THE only) people that one moment can listen to Badunkadunk by Twista then listen to Xenosaga OST and Linkin Park, then sad piano music, and Blink 182. I don't have a favourite anything when it comes to music. I may only like 1 song by a particular group or person, it just depends.

i can also listen to linkin park lp album then inuyasha ost then classic and so on and so on but the thing music is meant to be enjoyed and not be like a fashion statement just enjoy your fav bands just and be happy that they finally hit the big time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Firocket1690
May 9, 2004, 09:51 PM
On 2004-05-09 06:40, lain2k3 wrote:

Debatable.

but that is not a reason to say you like techno.

I never spoke anything of the sort involving me liking techno (although I do, but not for that reason)

Vanango
May 10, 2004, 01:40 AM
Debatable.

I'm sorry, what are we debating?

_knot_
May 19, 2004, 01:52 PM
Blech

geewj
May 19, 2004, 01:58 PM
Don't bump old threads, especially if all you are gonna do is spam in them.

And thus, the topic was no more.