PDA

View Full Version : My computer is a piece of shit.

KodiaX987
May 23, 2004, 09:39 AM
Palmares!

-It freezes if I accumulate more than about 30 minutes of running Java stuff in one Windows session.
-If Internet Explorer crashes, the entire computer explodes.
-Double-clicking on my task scheduler results in the window appearing 4 minutes later.
-Even low quality videos skip like hell on earth.
-25% of the time, the computer freezes on startup.
-I can't even set the virtual memory settings to my own anymore - Windows completely ignores the changes I make even if I press the OK button and come back to see if it went through.
-If the computer is left running for more than 24 hours, even if there was nothing running on it, it freezes.
-I get blue screen errors at the oddest times.
-The floppy drive can't recognize anything anymore.
-The computer freezes whenever I plug or unplug a USB thing into it.
-Not a single DOS application is working - they all crash on startup.
-The computer can't even shutdown: whenever I do, it freezes.

DruidMettool
May 23, 2004, 10:13 AM
You're running Windows ME, I assume... I feel your pain.

My computer is EXACTLY like yours.... it does everything yours does. It's very uncanny.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DruidMettool on 2004-05-23 08:14 ]</font>

astuarlen
May 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
Poor Kodia! I do think I would have taken a hammer to my computer by that point. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

But, Druid, what's up with the ME hating? I've had ME for 3 years, and it works wonderfully. It never freezes on start-up; I have no problems with plugging and unplugging things in ports... Actually, I don't have any of Kodia's problems. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ABDUR101
May 23, 2004, 11:14 AM
The last 1.2ghz system I owned, and this new 2.8ghz P4(which I suped up as much as possible with 2gygs of SDRAM, 100gyg+ of HD, 128meg ATI AIW 9700 Pro, etc), it still freezes like a mofo on games that it should'nt.

I have to have the graphics set way down on most games, and even then it will for some reason freeze my entire system during play at random. Which is a bitch, because this is mainly a gaming machine, thus why I bought all the high end stuff.

With all the crashing, and reformating, and blah, I figure hell with it, I'm going to use this one as a gaming only comp, and just go buy a Mac for my daily routine. I figure that way, all I lose in a system fuck-up or instability is the need to reinstall games and patches, and not 5gygs of files I've been working on, as well as uncountable internet favorites and the ability to keep in touch with everyone while this POS goes through the ringer.

Wheee! I say. Wheee!

On more than one occasion I've seriously thought of taking this chunk of hardware outside and savor every .45 calibur round I send flying through it. Enough times to make it a worth while $650 target for agression.

KodiaX987
May 23, 2004, 11:35 AM
On 2004-05-23 08:13, DruidMettool wrote:

Windows 98 Second Edition. But I know by experience that ME is just as bad.

SpikeOtacon
May 23, 2004, 11:44 AM
On 2004-05-23 09:35, KodiaX987 wrote:

Windows ME is horrific. I don't think anything is quite as bad.
Sucks about your computer. Do you clean it out? Like, clean the inside of the case and all that?

Deathscythealpha
May 23, 2004, 12:15 PM
On 2004-05-23 09:35, KodiaX987 wrote:

Heh, when i read that i came to the asumption that it was ME too, good thing it aint, i wouldnt touch that OS ever again.

Have you cleane dup and moved files latly? If its crashing and being funny i would check that youve done a disk clean up to get rid of crap, defrag it to sort out those random files and probably get rid of random stuff. Also check what youve got running on Startup, you could have a load of useless programs starting up when you turn on your PC that you dont need. If none of thats a problem, i suggest saving towards a new PC.

KodiaX987
May 23, 2004, 12:35 PM
I can't really format right now because I have nowhere to back up to - my other good computer is offline, I have yet to install a network card on it.

Other consideration: THIS computer can't operate the floppy drive, meaning if I format, I will have no boot disk. Will using another computer's boot disk work?... I'll make sure I get the right answer to the question before I make my move.

Sad to say, this comp's never been cleaned out since its birth. I used to use it, then dad had it for most of the time, and during that, he installed several programs that, after I got the comp back, I didn't use. But even if I took 'em away, some stuff remained behind of course. Anyways, through installations and un-installations, drivers and fonts and all that stuff, well, here's the result.

I'll try to format it Thrusday if I can. I'll buy a network card, hook this up to my good computer, back up, and format.

navci
May 23, 2004, 01:58 PM
I was going to comment, but I decided you have it worse. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kuea
May 23, 2004, 02:50 PM
well I used to have it worse

On my old computer the best thing I could get for internet was a crppy old version of AOL and to make matters worse my mom deleted the CD and Floppy disk drive's from existance on our comp and then deleted windows with no way to restore it.

Then we got a new comp

opaopajr
May 23, 2004, 03:51 PM
do you have access to a CD drive (i assume you do)? if you do then you can use a CD boot disk. you should have a boot disk, have made one, or know someone who does.

what you can do to your machine is next time you log on is save all your A++++ primo importance files. this means game saves, tax files, essays, resumes, irreplaceable photos, etc. you should write onto some data source, preferrably something large and cheap (CDR is good for this, USB drives get expensive).

if all else fails you are going to have to do some HDD shenanigans, like i had to once. you'll have to get a blank HDD, enslave your messed up drive to the blank drive, format and boot blank HDD, snatch *only* precious information onto new HDD. from there you can send your precious information into another format (CD, USB, floppy, ZIP, tape deck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif...). pull out new drive, make old drive the master, wipe clean and boot, and then reinstall your old data.

pain in the butt, but you'll have to do this every few months with a MS based machine.

if you want something more stable and less hassle do as Abdur and go apple. less headache.

Daikarin
May 23, 2004, 05:09 PM
Back when my old machine was a Pandora's box, several tricks it featured were as follows:

- The randomability to show up the Blue fatal operation screen whenever I started Word.
- Whenever I inserted the Sonic CD's, er, CD, and waited for the reader to detect it, the same Blue screen returned.
- The fact that using two internet explorer windows resulted in the "An exception has ocurred" screen.
- System freeze whenever I played any game with the Direct 3D or OpenGL engine for more than 30 minutes.
- The CD-Reader opened and closed fast enough to throw the CD a bit up.
- Those cycles when I ordered the CD-Reader to close, and somehow the system made it open magically again. Loop this.
- When I print some work to find out that the system doesn't detect any printer connected into any of the ports. But the printer does its job and prints my work.
- Whenever I restarted the machine, to find out that somehow, the system only works in safe mode.
- When it doesn't detect my monitor on a random basis, resulting in the previous situation.
- Fatal errors for SEGA software on Windows 98.
- Slowdowns in some 2D games with fairly fast processor with good memory.
- The Blue screen whenever I tried to open a jpeg with paint.
- Everytime I put on a jpeg wallpaper, the system crashes when I reboot the PC again.
- Much more.

P.S.: The solution? FORMAT C: . Sorry if this doesn't help. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2004-05-23 15:11 ]</font>

Firocket1690
May 23, 2004, 07:05 PM
let's see ..

I assume you didn't build it yourself ? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ness
May 23, 2004, 07:14 PM
I think you need to upgrade to Windows XP.

KodiaX987
May 23, 2004, 08:15 PM
On 2004-05-23 13:51, opaopajr wrote:
do you have access to a CD drive (i assume you do)? if you do then you can use a CD boot disk. you should have a boot disk, have made one, or know someone who does.
There's no particular boot disk for this computer. In fact, we lost the resource CD after we moved to a new home. So technically I have no booters handy. I'll make a boot CD (I'll try to find out where and how) and see if it works.

if all else fails you are going to have to do some HDD shenanigans, like i had to once. you'll have to get a blank HDD, enslave your messed up drive to the blank drive, format and boot blank HDD, snatch *only* precious information onto new HDD. from there you can send your precious information into another format (CD, USB, floppy, ZIP, tape deck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif...). pull out new drive, make old drive the master, wipe clean and boot, and then reinstall your old data.
I might just do that, only, I'll hook up the messed up HD to my good computer and format from there, should be no problem. But, I wanna avoid fooling around with hardware if I can...

if you want something more stable and less hassle do as Abdur and go apple. less headache.

Yeah, but less programs too. I did work on Apples before, and because I just weren't used to them, it was more of a hassle than a blessing for me.

On 2004-05-23 17:05, Firocket1690 wrote:

I assume you didn't build it yourself ? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

No, this one came from Dell. Pretty good compy overall... Just that the maintenance was not done at the required times. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On 2004-05-23 17:14, Ness wrote:
I think you need to upgrade to Windows XP.

I want to delay this event as much as I can. Windows XP seems to act even buggier when I'm around a computer that uses one. Plus, I tend to run DOS programs a lot, and the newer the Windows, the less it likes to allow me to run DOS. Just on Windows 98, 3/4 of my DOS games don't work at all and/or crash on startup. Yet, on the old 233 my mom had, on Windows 95, I could run nearly all my DOS games just fine.

Ness
May 23, 2004, 08:19 PM
Oh, I see. Windows XP works fine for me, but I don't use any Dos programs.

Armok
May 24, 2004, 03:36 AM
I never liked pc's so blame them for all my worrys.

On a personal note my old pc was slowed down to 1/100 its old speed by the dreaded free AOL trial disk my dad desided to try out. FOOL

DarthFomar
May 24, 2004, 06:21 AM
Computers can be such pains.

Too much maintainence, and if you get a really bad virus....you're screwed. My parents had to get a new pc cuz the last one they had caught one of those things.

Also...sometimes your computer can just act *wierd*. Happens to me all the time.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Arislan
May 24, 2004, 06:54 AM
Never had a computer virus I couldn't recover from. Well, no computer I fixed ever couldn't be recovered.. Only viruses I've ever gotten on my machines have been tiny, useless, and quickly squashable. I can see how some would be hard to get rid of without adequate preventatives (backup boot CD and the like)...

As for the computer running poorly/crashing, reinstall Windows, may help. And while you're at it, are you trying to overpower the system? If you've got a 600 mhz or lower, you've got no call runing XP on the poor machine, just make it choke. Use 98 SE, or if you absolutely HAVE to, Win ME.

One of these days, I'm going to install and upgrade my system from DOS 6.22 upgraded to XP... DOS base and still have XP functionality. Figured the upgrade path already, it's going to be hell, but I have all the OEM software I need (I love Microsoft Reps)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2004-05-24 04:56 ]</font>

Firocket1690
May 24, 2004, 03:13 PM
I seriously wonder why Ness likes winxp ...
windows xp sucks. =o

Anywho...

Windows 2000 > all http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

oh damn, I was about to say somethign else...
forgot..
meh~ I'll edit this later. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

opaopajr
May 25, 2004, 01:50 AM
with Windows emulation available readily (created and provided by MS) on Apple very little that is worth the trouble is unavailable to Mac users. so in the end there are no excuses left.

better, more stable machine, more software available (due to emulation) on mac. so you are deprived nothing but the hassles (and benchmark testing - but who honestly does that for home use...?).

i have given up on pcs, so my machines from now on will be mac - i'm just tired of poorly made products.