PDA

View Full Version : Erg, Clingy Friend

Deathscythealpha
May 29, 2004, 06:35 PM
Oh dear god i dont know how im going to last the next two years of University with one of my flatmates, he is one of the clingiest guys ever!

I met the guy on my first day up here when we had a student pub crawl. I was a bit late and he was at the back of the crowd with me, i noted the Guyver t-shirt he was wearing and thought 'Cool, someone i may be able to talk to'. I think there was my first mistake.

Yes, nice enough guy, like anime and games, was even on the same course im on. But then i realised he never shut up! He would go into great depths about things i just had no interest in at all, many times! If i have to here the anacdote from this book he's read one more time i think ill scream.

He also had the great ability to annoy everyone. He clicks his fingers, his wrists, he hums loudly, he taps his feet really loud and even talks to himself sometimes! Instantly making himself the flat wierdo and someone people tended to avoid.

Except me.

I thought i would be nice to him, hang out with him and stuff, it was un fair that everyone ignored him. But then he kept knocking on my door every day, walking into my room without permission and just sitting down and reading my books and magazines. He would then do disgusting stuff like clear his throat real loudly or spit piff from his oranges into his water. And all the time not leaving me alone.

Its been like this for the past 10 months or so of University. He never gives me any free time. When i got a girlfriend he still bugged me, always coming around when i was trying to do stuff with my GF. Its not very romantic when youve got a massive guy with a bad goatee, a pony tail and hob nail boots sititng next to you and your GF laughing like a maniac. When she dumped me she even cited him as being one of the main problems and why she dumped me!

And now ive found out that people have been avoiding me now cause hes always with me. I like being sociable and cant stand sitting in on my own, so finding out no one comes to hang out with me because of this guy is a bit of a depressing thing to have happen.

Erg! This has been a real wierd random, all over the place rant, but im really at the end of my teather with this guy. I just want some free time form him to hang out with my other mates and actually be liked! ERRRRRGGGGGG, its even making me angry thinking about the damn guy!

*ends rant and headbutts wall!*

_Ted_
May 29, 2004, 06:46 PM
And thats what you get for being nice to someone, another lesson teaching us of the pains that you recieve for doing good deeds. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Seriously though, if you want to get rid of him tell him that you hate him. don't talk to him anymore, and keep your room locked.

Kuea
May 29, 2004, 06:51 PM
man your GF dumped you cause of him?

have you tried letting him down nicely?

like "can I have some time alone please for about a month"?

Kizaragu
May 29, 2004, 06:58 PM
I think you've told me about this guy before right?

This reminds me of the similar situation I was in with that Dan guy.
Following me home, inviting himself into my house, generally just pissing me off, yet still expecting me to enjoy spending my time with him...
Those of you not in the know, don't ask.
D-alpha knows who I mean.

I would just say be honest with the guy and tell him to give you some space, but like I've said, I've been in a similar situation and it isn't as easy as that.
You're not the kind of guy who can just go up to someone (Who you moderately like or have gotten on with) and tell them to p***s off and leave you alone In fear of hurting his feelings.
So do what I did to my guy.

This may sound mean and people might think I'm a jerk, but meh...
Make subtle hints constantly and not always subtlely. Ignore him at times if you have to.
Heck make other plans (or pretend to) and when he asks what you're doing tonight/later say you've got such and such planned and there's not enough room or you we're planning to go by yourself.
I know it might sound mean, but I'm trying to help and I know you relatively well.

Over time, he'll get the message.
Hopefully.

navci
May 29, 2004, 07:07 PM
Well. When my bro finds me annoying, he yell at me about how annoying I am and start locking his door.

While the yelling isn't recommanded, perhaps you could talk to him about you really wanting some spaces of your own, and start closing and locking your doors.
Doors are funny things, they create a physical barrier, which will in turn become a psychological barrier... it's the starting of barriers. Ya, shut and lock the door.

opaopajr
May 31, 2004, 05:00 AM
there is past-life karma between the two of you. you must repent and repay the debt.

i suggest a little bit of cruel-to-be-kind honesty in a serious talk with him. either that or help teach him some social skills (which isn't always very fun...). or be mean, hurt his feelings, cause needless pain, be condemned to suffer repurcussions later in life (or next life).

i know, i know, option #3 looks to be the most fun (and it is! for a few minutes at least...) but it isn't the best option. be an adult and have 'the talk'.

Armok
Jun 1, 2004, 06:08 AM
I also have the problem of being overly nice to clingy friends. Remember ppl like this would dump you in a second for a better cooler friend they are like leechs who need to be removed.