PDA

View Full Version : Comcast, I've lost all respect for you after this

Link00seven
Jun 4, 2004, 08:46 PM
For those of you who arent aware, TechTV and G4: TV for Gamers have merged into one station, as of May 28th. The new station is called G4TechTV.

What happened, is Vulcan Programming sold TechTV to Comcast. Comcast then decided to merge it with G4 since G4 wasnt fairing off to well.

Now, I was looking forward to this merger, because I did like some of G4's programming, and i've always loved TechTV, but now that its complete, I cant stand it. The new station sucks!

First things first, TechTV is ruined. Call for Help, one of the best shows TechTV had, is gone. Call for Help was one of the best shows TechTV had, because it really touched on the basics and allowed the viewers to get computer help. Leo Laporte was the host, and i'll get to our loss with him in a minute.

Leo Laporte, the heart and soul of TechTV, is gone. Vulcan Programming tried screwing him over with his Contract, and he's gone. Now, you'd think Comcast would hire him back, but no, they dont want to. You know how this angers us? Leo is the best damn computer show host i've ever seen. He's been doing The Screen Savers and Call for Help since TechTV was brand new (ZDTV in 1998) yet, they remove him? What the hell is this shit?!

Speaking of other TechTV ruins, Fresh Gear, and TechLive are also gone. Two other good and popular shows that informed alot of us on new releases and news.

Finally, the G4 section. After removing all the good TechTV programming, they keep the worst of G4. Players?! What the fuck is Players? You call this shit quality programming? "Today ON PLAYERS!! FRED DURST TELLS US HOW HE LOVES MADDEN 2005 OMFG!!" Ok, one thing. WHO THE FUCK CARES? Then you have stupid shows like Sweat, Judgement Day, Arena, etc. The only good quality show on G4 is Icons--luckly that was kept.

Also, yay, a set move! They're moving from San Francisco (TechTV) to L.A (G4). This means, alot of the old host that were on TechTV are gone, and will be replaced. We already lost Leo, why Patrick, and possibly others?

So, Comcast lost all respect from me. Keeping the worst from both channels, then totally unbalancing the program list with mostly G4 and almost no TechTV, and the set move, bad programming, and, ok guys, get this, the ads! Ok, in the middle of prime time TV they show an add for CONDOMS?! THE HELL IS THIS? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A FAMILY ORRIENTED NETWORK, YET THEY SHOW THAT FOR ADVERTISEMENT? I dont't want TSS to be interupted with that crap, honestly i'm 14 and i'm not thinking about sex right now.

Anyway, thats it. G4TechTV is doomed, unless Comcast makes some serious changes. Such a shame, TechTV was so great...damn you Comcast!

Here's a few images I found that def do a good job in showing what I think.

http://www.entropyawaits.net/images/kickG4.gif
http://www.entropyawaits.net/images/techtv3.gif
http://www.entropyawaits.net/images/unconnect.gif

Ha, take that G4!

EDIT: Oh yeah, lets not forget the new shit website. http://www.g4techtv.com

It sucks, everything about it. The layout, quality, and organization. The old TechTV website was great. Full of information, and it was easily accessible. Even the old G4 website was OK, but this new site...man who did they hire to do this?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2005-07-12 13:28 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Jun 4, 2004, 08:56 PM
When I had heard they were going to merge, I was glad.
I had not yet seen what had happened as a result, and now I am very disappointed. Basically, it's like G4 got some new crap shows while TechTV was disintegrated. Even though G4 was about video games specifically, TechTV was much, much better. It didn't deserve this kind of treatment. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

It would have been much better and preferrable to let G4 just die and keep TechTV the way it was.

PaleKid15
Jun 4, 2004, 08:58 PM
I wqas also dissapointed at the loss of tech=tv. It was even worse because they weren't clear about what was happening. I thought I was getting some G4 shows... not losing the station. Screw you Hallmark channel...

But, atleast Comcast hasn't screwed up the internet...yet.

Link00seven
Jun 4, 2004, 09:17 PM
Well, it seems FreshGear is going to stay, if the list on the website is corrent.

But, that still dont outway all the bad :-/

KodiaX987
Jun 4, 2004, 09:27 PM
Word. I now barely watch TechTV if ever. Screen Savers isn't the same without Leo... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

hollowtip
Jun 5, 2004, 12:43 AM
To be completely honest, I enjoyed G4 over Tech TV only because the channel was the first of it's kind, but I'm a little disappointed with the merger as well.

The main problem I have with G4 is that some of their shows are either completely awesome or utterly worthless. For how goofy and insignificant the shitty programs are, I still wonder how in the hell they haven't been speedily taken off the air.

Since I am not familiar with many of TechTV's programs, I'll just highlight the useless shows that G4 has kept with the merger:

Portal - By far the worst of all the shows in the televised schedule. Basically, the program scripts an original story that integrates and unfolds within a MMOG. The story itself is filled with drab humor and viewed within the MMOG's world and has no direct relation to gaming. The production value is similar to a high school play, but with online characters. The concept is just plain goofy and worthless.

Players - Cameras follow so called celebrity gamers into their houses or on tours to get the inside scoup of what games people like Busta Rhymes play in their free time. Why would anyone even care? That's the first question I ask. If I wanted to know what people like Busta Rhymes do/did in their free time I would read Hip Hop magazines and watch E!. This is a gaming channel specifically dedicated to games, not the celebrities that play them. But hey, if you like EA games, there's plenty you can find on this show, specifically in the sports genre.

Cheat! - Provides Tips & Tricks for games in the form of cheat codes and gameplay stratigies for popular games. This show isn't as bad as the two formally explained, but still is a poor concept. Although the visual tutorials are nice to help get you past hard to explain areas in a game, places like gamefaqs and cheatcc.com offer infinitely superior content then what Cheat! can provide you. By the time Final Fantasy X codes are aired on the show, they become prehistoric considering every major cheat code website has had them hosted for eons.

In spite, I still think G4 doesn't deserve all this bashing since there are some stellar programs that do show.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2004-06-04 22:49 ]</font>

Ness
Jun 5, 2004, 06:22 AM
I never watched Tech TV or G4, but that's usually what happens when companies merge; the result is one big block of suckage.

Link00seven
Jun 5, 2004, 10:00 AM
Like I said, I liked G4 seperate, and I loved TechTV seperate, but the merger just killed everything.

DruidMettool
Jun 5, 2004, 03:23 PM
Perhaps we should be thankful that Comcast dosen't send us Free Trial discs every 3 days. But other than that, Comcast is bad in all ways possible, including this type of marketing.

DarthFomar
Jun 6, 2004, 01:04 AM
Well....I only watched TechTV every so often, and I though it was a great programming show. Sadly though, it sounds as though the backbones of TechTV have been severed.

Well, I won't be watching G4TechTV at all....complete and utter watse of time.

There's no point in basic cable television anymore. Damnit, why can't my parents get friggin satelite. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

What was the reason for the merger?! Doesn't really matter now.....TechTV is screwed. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-06-05 23:04 ]</font>

DruidMettool
Jun 6, 2004, 04:20 PM
Well, i'm guessing that Merging is a new stupid trend among buisness now.
Square and Enix merged, and we haven't gotten a single good game out of it (i'm talking about Dragon Quest, so don't give me any lip).
Sega is going to merge with a company i've never heard of, meaning Sega will be even worse than it already is. And I hear that Capcom is going into a merge soon.

Mergers kill companies! Remember this!

Scrub
Jun 6, 2004, 07:14 PM
On 2004-06-04 18:58, PaleKid15 wrote:
But, atleast Comcast hasn't screwed up the internet...yet.

=/ Bullshit. I try to get on my ga damn Xbox Live now, and I can't. I call up Xbox Live, they run me through 2 hours of crap, say it must be Comcast. Call Comcast, apparently they 'Dont support Xbox Live' even though 3 of my friends who live nearby have the exact same thing and it works for them. Mo fuggin BS.

Link00seven
Jun 6, 2004, 08:19 PM
Comcast is offically supported with Xbox Live. Check http://www.xbox.com/live.

Its working for me :/ try resetting your modem...

Scrub
Jun 8, 2004, 02:14 PM
How do I reset my modem?>_o I use this god damn Direct Connection because I cant afford a router because I just borrowed 50 bucks from a friend for Pandora Tomorrow...I've tried everything I can think of, everything all the Tech Support people can think of(Usually the same thing 5 times in a row), and whenever it starts working, it stops after a while. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cowboy
Jun 8, 2004, 04:36 PM
So this is why the utter shit called i think "Cheaters" was on techtv the other day...

Sord
Jun 8, 2004, 05:07 PM
i watched TechTV from time to time, sometimes five minutes, sometimes hours, depended on my mood. I wasn't even aware of the merging, and had never heard of G4. Sat down, they showed some idiotic show with two girls, one kind of goth and the other girl was some dumb blonde. Ironically they topic of the day was what is a "Gamer." And i can tell you, THEY AREN'T GAMERS! That was evident from the very beggining. Never watched Tech/G4 since...

Skett
Jun 11, 2004, 09:30 AM
Appearently, I am one of the only people in the world that actually enjoys G4TechTV. Oh well, you loss.

Cinnamon
Jun 14, 2004, 05:32 PM
Ugh...I miss TechTV too. I was excited when I heard about the merger, but now that I actually see what's on..blah. I really wish Leo would come back, lol. He really did make the station. Screensavers isn't the same without him.
I do like some of the stuff from G4 though. Filter's alright sometimes (the host cosplays!), and so is Judgment Day (Tommy is funny, on occasion). Icons is usually interesting. Aside from that though, there's not really much to watch anymore.
I still wish I had Comcast though, just so I could get the Anime Network here!