PDA

View Full Version : Ker-blarg... Retarded Web Browser...

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 9, 2004, 01:00 PM
I just have to get this off my chest.

WHY the heck does my web browser have to recall the page from the server when I hit the damn BACK button??

This makes no sense to me.

I understand that this was probably included as a means to prevent people from just using the Back button to see what someone just did while doing Online Banking or something, BUT...

For cheese's sake, I don't bank online, I don't deal with PayPal very much, and the computers I use generally don't get used by anyone else, except on the occasion that my wife sits down at my home computer to watch TV, or check something on the net. Oh no! My wife might discover my PayPal password! Gasp. As if it weren't enough that she knows my PIN number.

I mean dammit, when I hit the "BACK" button, I'm not looking for a new page view. If that were my intent, I'd find the link again. When I hit "BACK", it means that I intend to go look at what I was looking at a moment ago. So why the hell are we clogging up server bandwidth to download something that's already in my cache? I view an image while navigating my Angelfire account, hit the back button, and Surprise! I have to refresh because there's some sort of CGI information involved! I can't just look at what I was fscking looking at 20 seconds ago! OMFG!

Argh-ness.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 10, 2004, 10:59 AM
Your wife has your pin number?!... OH NOEZ...

Hmmm, the back button feature should be removed, I mean, it doesnt do what it is meant to do. So why have it?

Liquid_Bacon
Jun 11, 2004, 05:37 PM
I totally agree, Meira.

Kupi
Jun 11, 2004, 06:28 PM
I don't think I've ever experience this phenominon. Do you mean that the page re-loads as if for the first time when you hit "back," or the fact that if you try to back into a page that redirected you to another page, you'll wind up back where you started?

Link00seven
Jun 11, 2004, 08:23 PM
On 2004-06-11 16:28, Kupi wrote:
the fact that if you try to back into a page that redirected you to another page, you'll wind up back where you started?

That happens in all browsers. Thats why when I do use the back button, I right click on it so it brings up a list of previously visited places and I can goto them.

Then again, I use Firefox. Best. Browser. Ever. http://www.mozilla.org

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 11, 2004, 08:43 PM
On 2004-06-11 16:28, Kupi wrote:
I don't think I've ever experience this phenominon. Do you mean that the page re-loads as if for the first time when you hit "back," or the fact that if you try to back into a page that redirected you to another page, you'll wind up back where you started?

Hitting the "Back" button results in the browser requesting the page from the server again, instead of just simply showing me the version of the page it already downloaded.

Older web browsers simply don't do that. If you hit the back button on an older web browser, it doesn't refresh the page, it just shows you what you were looking at before-- it doesn't introduce a new ad, it doesn't request the page from the server again. No reloading. That's a behavior that's been gone for several years, however, and I find that to be rather annoying.

Firocket1690
Jun 12, 2004, 02:16 AM
.. this is comming from an aol user. XP

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 14, 2004, 06:19 PM
On 2004-06-12 00:16, Firocket1690 wrote:
.. this is comming from an aol user. XP

Hey, I may stand up for AOL from time to time, but even I have to admit that relying on AOL's internal browser as your primary web browser is a bad idea.

I finally got fed up with AOL crashing and losing my net connection around AOL 4.0 or so. Now I use Internet Explorer for most of my surfing, and Mozilla when I figure that I'm going into dangerous territory, and need that little extra bit of security, most especially from looping pop-ups.